The main protagonist of the first game in the series. Alundra is of the Elna; a clan of elven Dreamwalkers. He is often called "Releaser" by certain sages and their associates, a habit Melzas shares. As a silent protagonist, Alundra's personality is unclear, as is his past, however characters percieve him as kind and gentle.
- Action Hero: In the physical world, he's a skilled adventurer with a lot of talents. Inside of dreams? The same - it doesn't hinder him one bit.
- The Atoner: After the villagers start to die of their nightmares, Alundra is advised several times to just leave Inoa and the curse that's fallen upon it. He refuses and simply becomes more determined with each death to destroy Melzas and avenge his fallen friends. Jess' death cements this.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Alundra is a Nice Guy who sailed halfway around the world to help a village he'd never even heard of before, willingly leaps into people's nightmares to save them, and runs errands for anyone who asks it of him. However, harm innocents or those he cares for and he'll happily squish you into a pile of slimy goo. Several baddies learn this the hard way.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Nestus and Bergus. They openly idolize Alundra more and more as the game progresses, and the dialogue hints that Alundra has grown quite fond of them as well. When Bergus is kidnapped by the Murgg, Alundra doesn't hesitate to enter Nestus' dream in order to save his twin brother.
- Elemental Powers: He gains these throughout the game by acquiring the Scrolls and Books of Wind, Earth, Water, and Fire.
- Gender-Blender Name: His name, "Alundra", is usually reserved for females. Here? Not so much.
- Hair Color Dissonance: He's depicted as a redhead during animated sequences. But in-game, both his sprite and character portrait are very obviously blonde. You can chalk it up as, say, strawberry blonde.
- Happily Adopted: With Jess. After losing his wife and son many years ago, Jess immediately latches onto Alundra when he comes into the blacksmith's care, providing him with a room of his own, food off his table, and a plethora of fatherly advice. Several of the villagers also note that Jess treats Alundra as if he was his own biological son, who would have been about Alundra's age if he had survived childhood.
- Heroic Mime: Like so many protagonists in the early years of Role Playing Games, Alundra never speaks a word that the player can read. However, it's made clear that he does speak to the other characters. Also, you could argue that after the Sanctuary mission in which is revealed that Ronan prays to Melzas, we hear his thoughts, assuring himself that the statue of that god it's Melzas. There's no portrait to indicate it's Septimus's thoughts. So, this is more of a downplayed example.
- Nice Guy: Alundra quickly endears himself to Jess, Sybill, and several other villagers and goes out of his way to save the people of Inoa from their nightmares. He doesn't ask for a single thing in return, either.
- Ship Tease: With Meia, but they go their separate ways in the end.
- Undying Loyalty: To the village of Inoa and its citizens. Alundra goes through absolute hell in order to protect them, even enduring a short time as The Scapegoat for Melzas' schemes.
- Would Hit a Girl: If they're evil enough, he has no problem torching female baddies as well.
Like Alundra, Meia is of the Elna tribe, also known as the "dreamwalkers". She was born in a distant city controlled by the servants of the gods, and spent much of her early life there. After leaving, she lived a somewhat nomadic lifestyle, searching for the reason for her power, until she arrived at the village Inoa.
- Action Girl: More so than any other female in the game. Meia's been living on her own since she was a small child and is very capable of taking care of herself. Although realistic about the danger of entering certain nightmares, Meia's willing to walk through a dream if she thinks she's capable of saving the victim.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She's blonde and a nice girl.
- Parental Abandonment: In her dream sequences, it's noted that Meia's father died in a rather suspicious accident and her mother was burned at the stake by Melzas' followers.
- Ship Tease: With Alundra.