Guardian (James Hudson)
The original leader and founder of Alpha Flight. Department H, the section of Canada's government that works with superhumans, is named after him. Originally thought to have died in Alpha Flight #12, he later returned through some rather complicated circumstances involving aliens and becoming a cyborg. Briefly went by Vindicator, but is best known as Guardian.
- Badass in Charge: James had several tenures as the leader of Alpha Flight and, using his suit or his cybernetic implants, kicked serious butt.
- Badass Normal: James possessed no innate powers, at least not at first, and relied completely on his super suit to have superpowers.
- Clothes Make the Superman: As Guardian/Vindicator, James wore a suit powered by electromagnetic energy to give himself powers. Interestingly, the suit was originally to be used for mining.
- Cyborg: After his "death" James was both machine and man all rolled into one.
- Empowered Badass Normal: After becoming a cyborg, James gained some innate powers, though he still wore his super suit too.
- Gadgeteer Genius: James built his own suit, which made him one of the most powerful members of his team.
- Good People Have Good Sex: Implied between him and his wife, Heather.
- Flying Brick: James' suit enhanced his strength somewhat, allowed him to fly, and had a force field that made him nigh-invulnerable.
- Flying Firepower: James while wearing his suit was this.
- Hand Blast: James' suit could produce blasts of electromagnetic energy as its main form of attack.
- Happily Married: James was happily married to his former secretary, Heather Hudson, though their relationship soured later on.
- Stuff Blowing Up: James' first "death" was the result of his suit exploding, though it actually just sent him through time and space.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: He's 6'2'', has a heroic build, and dark hair.
- Touched by Vorlons: James was transformed into a cyborg by aliens.
The daughter of a mortal and a Goddess, Narya was to the the champion of her people against the Great Beasts, the Gods of death and decay. She later married a mortal named Doug Thompson and had a child, though this eventually led to a mercy kill at the hands of Heather Hudson. She later returned and accepted her identity as a goddess.
- All Amazons Want Hercules: After her death and rebirth, Snowbird was one of several women (and Northstar) to have slept with the actual Hercules, Avenger and notable ladies man.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Snowbird is the daughter of a Goddess and a mortal. Though technically a demigoddess, she has referred to herself as a goddess on numerous occasions.
- Immortality Begins at 20: Narya rapidly aged into a young adult woman and then stopped.
- Flight: In her humanoid form or her various animal forms, Snowbird is able to fly.
- Mercy Kill: Was dealt one by Heather Hudson after she'd been corrupted by the dark nature of her sasquatch form.
- Monster Is a Mommy: True of Narya in her monstrous sasquatch form.
- Parental Substitute: Shaman was essentially this to Narya, since her real father was a mortal and her mother was a God who couldn't travel to the mortal world for long.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When angered or in pain, Snowbird often gained crimson eyes and monstrous face that she called her "true fires."
- Super Strength: Snowbird is super strong, even in her normal form. By transforming into a sasquatch, she becomes strong enough to fight the Hulk.
- Super Toughness: Snowbird is a tough woman, even in her normal form.
- The Ageless: Snowbird aged rapidly from a child into an adult, but stopped afterward. She briefly became mortal after her marriage to her human husband, something that caused her to become suicidal.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Originally, Narya was able to transform into a white version of any animal native to Canada. After her first death, this limitation was removed and she was seen becoming animals such as a whale.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Due to the nature of her birth, Snowbird couldn't leave Canada's borders without dying. This limitation was removed after her initial death.
Aurora (Jeanne-Marie Beaubier)
A mutant and the twin sister of Northstar. Aurora was sent to live at a religious school for girls as a young child after her parents died, separating her from her brother. Her experiences there scarred her, leaving her with split personality disorder. She later joined Alpha Flight and reunited with her brother, though their relationship is often rocky.
- Claustrophobia: The nuns at her school locked her in a small cupboard when she misbehaved. This left her with an intense fear of small spaces.
- Damsel in Distress: Aurora often played this role, despite her superpowers.
- Determinator: Depowered and facing a horde of demons, Aurora refused to give up and fought them with pure skill.
- Depower: Aurora lost her powers when she "shared her light" with Northstar to heal him of a mysterious disease that was killing him. She regained her powers when he gave it back.
- Ethical Slut: Aurora likes men and she likes sex, and don't you forget it. Don't, however, confuse that with her manipulating men with her sex appeal. Northstar did, and that led to Aurora altering her powers to give herself space from him.
- Light 'em Up: Aurora was originally able to produce a blinding flash of light through contact with Northstar. Sasquatch's alterations allowed her to produce light on her own.
- Flight: Aurora is able to fly at high speeds.
- School Marm: Aurora's "Jeanne-Marie" persona was essentially this.
- Skunk Stripe: Jeanne-Marie's hair is black with a white/silver streak.
- Stripperific: Her most famous attire is a full bodysuit. However, she also wore a yellow and white number that was a leotard that showed a lot of cleavage.
- Split Personality: Aurora originally had two: "Jeanne-Marie" and "Aurora." The former was a schoolmarm,homophobic towards Northstar, and could not use Aurora's superpowers. The latter was sexually uninhibited, compassionate, and a loving sister/girlfriend.
- Super Speed: Aurora's primary power. At first, she could run/fly at Mach 10, though her speed was reduced after her lover Sasquatch altered her abilities. Her powers later returned to their full capacity when she and Northstar made up.
- Wonder Twin Powers: While Aurora's speed/flight powers are all her own, she was initially only able to produce light while in contact with her twin brother Northstar. For a time, their touch had the opposite effect and left the twins temporarily depowered.
Northstar (Jean-Paul Beaubier)
A mutant and the twin brother of Aurora. While his sister went to a religious school after their parents' death, Northstar was sent to live with his cousins the Martins. He eventually became an Olympic-level skier, though whether this was due to his powers or not was left ambiguous. He later, begrudgingly, joined Alpha Flight in order to meet his sister.
- Badass Gay: Northstar is a bona fide superhero that has saved the world, and he also likes men with a preference for those that have hair on their chests.
- Big Brother Instinct: VERY protective of his sister Aurora. Mess with her and draw Jean-Paul's ire, even when the two are on the outs with one another.
- Death Is Cheap: Killed by Wolverine, came back more or less fine.
- Flight: Northstar can fly at speeds approaching Mach 10.
- Happily Married: To Kyle Jinadu, a normal human.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Killed by a mind controlled Wolverine in this manner.
- Incompatible Orientation: Had this with Iceman during his time with the X-Men. Ironic, because Iceman would be outed as gay nearly a decade or so later.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Northstar acts prickly to everyone but his sister Aurora. Still, that doesn't stop him from saving his teammates regularly, adopting a young baby suffering with HIV, being a teacher that his students look up to, and being a loving husband. He also cried after Walter Langkowski's first death.
- Light 'em Up: Could produce powerful bursts of light when in contact with his sister and later learned to do so on his own.
- Manly Gay: Aside from his elfin appearance, Northstar is this. It doesn't hurt that the character was around for nearly ten years before he could come out on panel.
- Noodle Incident: Apparently had a thing with Hercules that he's embarrassed to talk about.
- Skunk Stripe: Northstar's hair is black with a silver/white streak.
- Super Speed: Northstar is fast, both on the ground and in the air.
- Too Qualified to Apply: His skiing medals were taken and he was banned from the sport when it was discovered he is a mutant speedster, despite the question of whether his success was due to his powers or not being left ambiguous.
Sasquatch (Walter Langkowski)
Brilliant scientist and former football player, Walter Langkowski heard about Bruce Banner's experiments with gamma rays and his transformation into a Hulk. In an attempt to become like the Hulk, Walter dosed himself with huge amounts of gamma radiation. However, he actually opened a portal into the realm of the Great Beasts (the evil gods of death and decay) and was possessed by one of their number. This gave him the power to become a super strong and nigh-invulnerable Sasquatch like creature. His situation only got more complex as the years went by.
- Action Girl: As "Wanda."
- And Show It to You: Snowbird ripped his heart out after Tanaraq took over his body and showed it to him before he died.
- Bodysurf: Okay, let's run through it. First he had his own body, then he was a soul in the Box robot, then he briefly went into the Incredible Hulk, then he went into the shruken body of Smart Alec, then he was in Snowbird's body which was then altered to become his original body again. Whew!
- Cyborg: Inhabited the Box robot for a little while after the death of his original body, making him a human soul in a robotic shell.
- Demonic Possession: Was taken over by the evil god Tanaraq after a while. Turned out his Sasquatch form was actually Tanaraq's true form.
- Gender Bender: His soul later inhabited Snowbird's dead body, turning Walter into Wanda. Snowbird later changed him back.
- Genius Bruiser: Langowski is a highly respected scientist and, in his Sasquatch body, is one heck of a scrapper.
- Good People Have Good Sex: Once he lost his original body, he was very desperate to get another one. This was implied to be the main reason he was so urgent about it.
- Healing Factor: He heals fast from most injuries, though he was killed once, so it has its limits.
- Mighty Glacier: Sasquatch isn't going to win any speed contests. The feral Goblyn sliced up his eyes and he couldn't keep up with her. Still, he can tank most other hits with ease.
- Mystical White Hair: While in Snowbird's body, Walter had this in his human form and his Sasquatch form.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: His Sasquatch form (in all its incarnations)is pretty hard to damage in any way.
- Omnidisciplinary Scientist: Originally an expert in radiation, Langkowski also used equipment to alter Aurora's powers to turn her from a mutant into a mutate and generally assisted the team with all kinds of scientific issues.
- Statuesque Stunner: As Wanda, Walter had VERY long and shapely legs.
- Super Strength: How much depends on the era you're reading, but generally he's the strongest member of his team. He once fought the Hulk for fun!
- The Big Guy: Alpha Flight's strongest member, bar none. Generally liked to scrap and fight as well, despite being a genius.
Shaman (Michael Twoyoungmen)
Michael Twoyoungmen is a Sacree mystic and member of the original Alpha Flight. Much like Dr. Stephen Strange, Michael was a skilled surgeon who later turned to mysticism. In his case, it was because he had failed to save his wife from death and had estranged himself from his daughter. Shaman also delivered Snowbird into the world and bound her to the mortal plane. Michael's powers were originally centered around a mystical medicine pouch that he could draw magical items out of, though he spent a period where his powers allowed him to ask spirits for help in performing mystical feats.
- Bag of Holding: Shaman's powers typically center around his mystical medicine pouch, which essentially acts as this, allowing Shaman to pull numerous mystical objects out of it. In actuality, the bag contained nothing at all, and it was Shaman's faith that allowed objects to be pulled from it.
- Depower: Michael briefly lost his abilities after her failed to save his daughter from being sucked into his medicine pouch, which shattered his faith and prevented him from using his medicine pouch.
- Magical Native American: As his codename indicates, he's a magical shaman.
- My Greatest Failure: Michael feels this way about being unable to save his wife, since it led not only to her death but also to him becoming estranged from his daughter for many years.
These members were recruited to the team after its original formation. Typically, they were characters already associated with the team for one reason or another, such as being a member of the "B-Squad" team Beta Flight or having appeared as a background character in previous issues.
Puck (Eugene Judd)
Eugene Judd was, at first, an ex-military man with dwarfism who possessed incredible natural agility and acrobatic skills. He was briefly a member of Beta Flight, before being moved up to Alpha Flight. In later issues of Alpha Flight, it was retconned that Puck was originally a very tall man and was actually quite old, but that he had been made short by an encounter with an evil, mystical being. Even later still, Puck was modified on the genetic level and given true blue superpowers.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Puck had a long standing crush on Heather Hudson, but never really told her so, though she did suspect. Either way, she didn't feel the same about him.
- Badass Normal: For a long time, Puck was just a guy who did cartwheels and kicks. He later got true superpowers.
- Bouncing Battler: Basically what Puck's fighting style amounted to.
- Demonic Possession: Was possessed by a demonic force for quite some time, which caused him intense pain and retarded his aging.
- Depending on the Writer: His nickname's origin. He lampshades it eventually: "Sometimes it's Shakespeare, sometimes it's hockey."
- Gentle Giant: In his original, pre-dwarfism/mystically affected body, Puck was this.
- Older Than They Look: Puck is about 70 years old, but looks far younger due to various factors both mystical and otherwise.
- Retcon: Probably the most obvious case in Alpha Flight's history, though it was due to a misunderstanding between one writer and another.
- Super Strength: Puck can lift around 10 tons.
- Super Toughness: Puck has skin akin to compressed rubber, like his namesake.
Marrina (Marrina Smallwood)
Marrina Smallwood was part of a plan by an alien race called the Plodex whose MO was to send thousands of eggs to a planet, have those eggs absorb the genetic traits of the inhabitants and then destroy them from within. However, Marrina's egg was one of two to survive its journey to Earth and landed in the water. Some time later, it was found by a family from Newfoundland and was touched by the family's mother. Thus, she transformed into an amphibious female humanoid with green skin and hair. Nevertheless, Marrina was happily adopted by the family and their community. Originally a member of Beta Flight, she briefly joined Alpha Flight before leaving the team to be with Namor.
- Action Girl: Usually a gentle soul, but fierce when someone she loves is threatened. And that's not even getting into when she turned into a sea serpent...
- Eye Beams: As the Leviathan, Marrina had these.
- Happily Married: After a bit of angst, she ultimately had this with Namor.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: By her husband Namor with the Black Knight's Ebony Blade. She got better later.
- Making a Splash: Marrina could control water, though she rarely used this ability.
- Monster Is a Mommy: Marrina transformed into a monstrous sea serpent called the Leviathan after laying eggs.
- Super Speed: Marrina's speed in the water was matched by very few characters.
- Super Strength: Given that she had to swim at super speed, she had a bit of this going on.
- Super Toughness: To survive those ocean pressures, don't ya know.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Well, green hair. And skin.
Vindicator (Heather McNeil Hudson)
Heather Mcneil Hudson was the wife of James Hudson, founder of Alpha Flight, as well as his secretary. As such, she was a supporting character for the team for some time. After her husband's "death" she became the leader of the team, mostly out of pity from the remaining members. Not wanting to be a burden, she took a super suit identical to the one her husband had worn from a villain and used it to become Vindicator, superpowered leader of Alpha Flight. She remained in this role until her husband's return some years later.
- Action Girl: Wasn't one at first, but all it took was a little determination on her part (and a super suit) to become one.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Not so much for her, but she tends to be this for other people, namely Wolverine and Puck.
- Badass in Charge: Again, not at first, but after getting her suit she was most definitely this.
- Body Horror: Was subjected to this by Lionel Jeffries' flesh shaping power. It scared her so much that it made her distrust him in all of their subsequent interactions.
- Clothes Make the Superman: Wears an electromagnetically powered suit and later a geothermal powered suit.
- Cool Shades: Wore them originally to help correct her eyesight (she normally needed glasses), but after her laser surgery, they just looked cool. She briefly went without them when she first got the geothermal suit, but re-adopted them for a more practical purpose - keeping the wind out of her eyes, since the suit didn't have the same protective force field as the original model.
- Flight: Heather's suit lets her defy gravity.
- Hand Blast: Like her husband before her, Heather could fire these while wearing her suit.
- Happily Married: To James, though she had some doubts about him after his "death."
- Heroes Prefer Redheads: Wolverine, Puck, James, and Madison Jeffries sure did.
- I Did What I Had to Do: A LOT of her decisions as the leader of Alpha Flight were justified this way, such as the mercy kill of Snowbird.
- Mercy Kill: Dealt one out to Snowbird, though she was torn up about it both before and after.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Heather's personal force field essentially gave her this.
- No-Sell: Heather's force field let her do this against Lady Deathstrike's sword, which was matched against Wolverine's Adamantium claws. For bonus points, she didn't even know it wouldn't have cut her in half.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Had this going with Diamond Lil, since they both loved Madison Jeffries at the time and because she had been involved in the supposed death of her husband.
Talisman (Elizabeth Twoyoungmen)
The daughter of Shaman, Elizabeth became distant from her father after he failed to save her mother from death. As an adult, she became an archaeology student, but joined Alpha Flight after putting on a magical circlet that gives her control over spirits.
- Action Girl: She's a female superhero, sooo...
- Badass in Charge: Briefly became this as the leader of Alpha Flight, since she was best equipped to fight a sorcerer using spirits as his army.
- Childhood Friends: With Heather, who was her babysitter when they were growing up in Calgary.
- Clingy Macguffin: Talisman's circlet of power. If she tries to pull it off of her head, it gives her a blindly painful headache. Averted when a creature of decay was able to rip it off.
- Fate Worse than Death: Being sucked into the psychedelic realm of her father's medicine pouch. Luckily, the Beyonder happened to be passing by and saved her.
- Hand Blast: She can command the spirits to let her do this.
- Magical Native American: She's part of Canada's native population and possesses the magical power to control spirits.
- Smug Super: Was this HARDCORE after being returned to Earth by the Beyonder. She taunted Alpha Flight, particularly her father, with her power. Ultimately, it bit her in the butt.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Ultimately proved true, since she repeatedly became Talisman despite not wanting to.
Box (Roger Bochs)
A Beta Flight recruit, robotics genius Roger Bochs was a paraplegic after his legs were cut off at the knee, but created a robotic body that he could control with a helmet and was later improved to allow him to merge with it completely. Bochs originally joined Omega Flight, an evil version of Alpha Flight, but as a traitor. He later joined Alpha Flight after helping them save the soul of Walter Langkowski, whose physical body had died. He remained a member of the team until his death.
- Bodyof Bodies: Became a horrible mixture of himself, Omega, and parts of corpses shortly before his death.
- Cyborg: Essentially what he became after merging with his Box robot to control it from within.
- Flight: Could do this while merged with the Box robot's boot jets.
- Good People Have Good Sex: Happens a lot with Alpha Flight members and was no different when Bochs was hooking up with Aurora.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Pulled with with his then girlfriend Aurora after his sanity slippage made him teeter over the edge.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Not just because the Box robot was hard to damage but also because, if it was damaged, Roger could just repair it.
- Sanity Slippage: Implied to be a mixture of his repeated fusions with the Box robot and the manipulations of Omega.
- Super Strength: Not as powerful as Sasquatch, but dang powerful when merged with his robotic body.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Yep, really. After having his body restored by Omega, he was ripped and sexy as all get out.
Box II (Madison Jeffries)
Originally a member of Gamma Flight, the Canadian Government's "C-Squad" of heroes, he later graduated to Beta Flight and then joined Alpha Flight first as a supporting character and then as a full member. Madison is a mutant with the power to telekinetically control the materials that make up machines such as glass, metal, plastic, etc.
- Flight: With boot jets, shapeshifted wings, or by becoming a star ship.
- Happily Married: To Diamond Lil, though he almost married Heather Hudson.
- Legacy Character: As his name implies, he was one for his friend Roger Bochs.
- Mind over Matter: Unique in that he could only control glass, metal, and plastic. But when you're a badass engineer, well, that makes for one serious power.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Like his predecessor, though to an even greater degree given his mutant powers.
- Mercy Kill: A twofer, since he killed both his brother Lionel and his friend Roger Bochs, who were fused together as the insane Omega at the time.
- Papa Wolf: Was this for Purple Girl/Persuasion, who was about 14 when she joined the team.
- Super Strength: To an even greater extent than the original, since he had modified the Box robot. He was as strong as the Thing in the 80s.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Well, Diamond Lil and Heather Hudson sure thought so.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Could do this by using his power to change the shape of his robotic armor, though he couldn't do so while he was fused with it.
- Your Cheating Heart: Almost did this with Diamond Lil, though just meeting with her privately was enough for his relationship with Heather to end.
Diamond Lil (Lillian Jeffries)
Like her husband Madison, Lillian "Diamond Lil" Crawley-Jeffries was a mutant. Her power generated a "bio-aura" that made her nigh-invulnerable. While initially part of the villainous Omega Flight, circumstances forced to work with and eventually become a member of Alpha Flight.
- Action Girl: A brawler at heart, Lil's invulnerability and brash nature meant she NEVER backed down from a fight.
- Absurdly Sharp Claws: After a fashion. Since Lil's nails were permeated by her bio-aura, they were as invulnerable as the rest of her and thus razor sharp.
- Easily Forgiven: Not by Heather Hudson, but by James Hudson, who easily accepted her after she apologized for having a part in his death. This went a long way toward her become a legitimately heroic character, instead of being one out of convenience.
- Happily Married: To Madison Jeffries.
- Most Common Superpower: As a female comic character of tremendous height, she definitely had this going on.
- Nigh Invulnerable: As stated above, she couldn't be hurt by much and her power was so effective that she couldn't even be screened for breast cancer properly.
- Statuesque Stunner: Lil is incredibly tall, standing at a height of 6'4''
- The Big Guy: In a different way than her husband or Sasquatch. She was so difficult to hurt that foes had a hard time dealing with her effectively before she could beat them down.
- The Topic of Cancer: Lil found that she had a lump on her breast, but her powers made it impossible to tell what it was. A bit of storyline and a few questionable moral decisions on her part later, it turned out to be something benign.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Had this going with Heather Hudson.
Purple Girl/Persuasion (Kara Killgrave)
Daughter of the Supervillain Zebediah Killgrave AKA The Purple Man, Kara Killgrave's childhood was without incident. She grew up in a normal suburban setting with her mother Melanie. However when Kara turned thirteen, at the onset of puberty, her body completely turned into a shade of purple On seeing this Melanie begins to reveal to Kara the identity of her father, and the circumstances of her birth. The shock of her changing appearance and her mother's startling revelations were too much for Kara to cope with and she fled. Realizing her power, she impulsively kidnapped Northstar and made him take her to a deserted island where she intended for them to remain. Fortunately he managed to regain his mental control and delivered her to Alpha Flight's headquarters where she promptly escaped by using one of their members. Fearing the team intended to harm her, she used her powers again, this time on the whole group. She escaped, taking Madison Jeffries with her. On the run, they fell for a time into the clutches of the Auctioneer. When rescued by Alpha Flight, Heather Hudson recruited Kara as the first member of the newly created Beta Flight.
- Age-Gap Romance: Kara was in a relationship with teammate Dr. Whitman Knapp, as she was around thirteen or fourteen at the time. Whitman's age was never revealed, but since he was a surgeon he had to be somewhere in his 20s.
- Claustrophobia: Suffers from this, along with Aurora. Do not trap her◊;she will freak out◊.
- Child by Rape: How Kara came to be, due to her father using his powers to control her mother. Kara ended up running away when she found out.
- Combat Parkour: She's very acrobatic, which makes sense as one of her trainers from Alpha Flight was Puck.
- Compelling Voice: Initially, her powers required a verbal command to put someone under her control. She eventually overcame this limitation, later extending to gestures.
- Daddy's Little Villain: Averted. If anything, she despises her father for what he did to her mother and for his plain amoral ways in general.
- Lamarck Was Right:She developed the exact same powers as her father (more or less), right down to his purple skin. That's despite the fact that he was hit by a rapidly-escaping nerve gas.
- Love Is in the Air: Kara exuded pheromones that have this effect.
- Made of Iron: The amount of damage this girl has taken is amazing, as she has been kicked down the stairs by Box, who just moments earlier casually smashing through walls. She also wasn't bothered much by a flesh wound on her back caused by an explosion◊, was sent flying by a missile's explosion and is fine (though her teammate was in great pain), and was hit by one of Vindicator's plasma blasts with little effect on her, though Heather said she was holding back.
- She falls a good distance from a crashing ship into water, and is sent flying back by a gasoline explosion.Jessica Jones herself stated that Kara is hard to kill like her father, who once got ran over by a train.
- Mind Control: Her main ability.
- Mind Meld: Kara has the ability to enter the minds of others and see their life story even before they're born. It can get pretty trippy, though.◊
- Papa Wolf: Madison Jeffries acts as this to her. Speaking of which...
- Parental Substitute: Kara sees him as one to◊ her.◊
- Psychic Link: She's able to telepathically sense people who had been affected by her powers and what their emotional state is.◊
- Purple Is Powerful
- Weaksauce Weakness: Her powers can be nullified if she's completely sealed off from her surroundings in some way◊, or if she (or whoever is under her control) is put in a large body of water (pool, lake, ocean, etc.)