The unfortunate passengers of All Aboard, and their charismatic conductor.
Warning: all spoilers are unmarked.
SHSL Conspiracy Theorist
The SHSL Conspiracy Theorist, Airi Ayame is known for her work in the field of conspiracy theories, although Airis theories are usually considered baseless facts that lead to nothing more than speculation... or do they? See for yourself: her most notable theories youll find making online rounds are The Alienware Meteorite Coverup, and Apples Brainwashing iPhones. Both theories have several pages of evidence linked to them, and are all written by the nineteen year old student who continues to publish more of these articles on a daily basis. Everything from secret backdoor deals to the coverup of an entire small town being decimated by a meteor that has at least some kind of message from a civilization beyond the stars, can all be found on her personal blog. Strangely, not much is actually known about the girl behind them though...
Survives the killing game, and escaped the metro.
- Conditioned to Accept Horror: She doesn't even flinch when she finds Suga's body.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Everything is a government conspiracy, if you ask her.
- Determinator: She just doesn't seem to give up with exploring the tunnel, or when fighting Horoki.
- Hypocrite: She hates lies, and will do her best to uncover them no matter what, and yet she isn't opposed to telling lies herself when it's convenient for her.
- Lady Swears-a-Lot: Has more than a few choice words for Jenova after the first tunnel exploration.
- Laughing Mad: Does this after Akira lets slip that he knows the mastermind's gender.
- Official Couple: With Kuroneko
- Rebellious Spirit: She's not going to let the American government catch her, and she doesn't take too kindly to Jenova, either.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: During Chapter 3, Airi counters Alastair's statement that he could not have killed Choharu and Tora by saying that he could have used a knife to take them on. While the knife was never used during the murder and in fact was planted by Airi herself, Alastair, or rather Oliver, did indeed kill Choharu.
- Seriously Scruffy: She can't seem to strike a balance between work and looking after herself; she continues to explore the train station, despite being on the verge of passing out.
- The Unfettered: She really doesn't want to lose, whether to Horoki or in trial, so she's not above fighting dirty.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist:
- She's been known to sneak on, eavesdrop on, and blackmail people in order to get the stories for her agency. There's also the fact that she's not afraid to get nasty in trial just to force things along.
- In chapter 3, she intentionally messes up Tora's death scene in order to lure out the culprit. Unfortunately for her plan, the killer is already dead.
Reserve Course Student
Akira Saitou is a Japanese high school student currently attending Hope's Peak Academy's Reserve Course. He has not accomplished anything remarkable enough to be accepted into the Talent Course. However, he is currently the vice president of the reserve course's Newspaper Club, and is one of the main photographers of the Reserve Hope Shimbun, created by the aforementioned Newspaper Club.
The Chapter 5 killer, and the mastermind of the killing game. He is executed at the end of the trial.
- Big Bad: Is revealed to be the mastermind of the killing game.
- Big Eater: Tried to measure up to Billy's meal size. While he ultimately went over his limit, he was able to down a lot of tacos with no problem.
- Comedic Sociopathy: After the first culprit tries to claim their innocence, he only laughs and calls dibs on part of their stuff. After the trial, he then asks Talia about getting that stuff, even though she's clearly distraught over receiving it.
- The Generic Guy: Average height, average hair and eye color, and no talent, to boot!
- Gratuitous English: Mostly with swearing. He's actually fluent, but learned the language from Homestuck.
- I Never Said It Was Poison: When trying to refute the claims that he masterminded the mutual killing, Akira used male pronouns to refer to Jenova's murderer, revealing that he knows their gender - something only the mastermind should know.
- Irrational Hatred: Towards talent course students in general.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Dons a tuxedo jacket and bow tie as part of his mastermind attire.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Curses mostly when frustrated, but rather casually.
- Too Dumb to Live: Sure, Akira, spin that loaded gun around, that won't cause you any problems.
Alastair Matthews/Oliver Matthews
SHSL Street Magician
Alastair Matthews is an English magician and the SHSL Street Magician. Having come from a working class background, he initially began busking simply to earn money for his orphanage, although his performances attracted a larger crowd than he had expected. Since then, he has become a local celebrity in the borough of Camden, regularly bringing in large crowds with his act.
The second killer of Chapter 3, who was able to get away with his murder and escape.
- The Atoner: Vows to become this just before successfully escaping the metro.
- Dead Person Impersonation: After Chapter 3's trial, it's revealed that Alastair died in a fire before the mutual killing even began. Oliver Matthews, his brother, had been impersonating him.
- Didn't Think This Through: Alastair managed to avoid watching Shizuhiko's execution by covering his eyes, before realising that not being able to see made it much harder to leave the trial area. Lampshaded in the post title.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Alastair launches into a rant against Airi when she tries to have everyone reveal their secrets, going as far to suggest that it's just an excuse for her own satisfaction. While his motives were largely selfish and he is one of the two murderers in Chapter 3, he's completely correct in saying that such a reveal would provide absolutely no useful information and that she was ignoring important evidence.
- Karma Houdini: Oliver successfully got away with his murder, with Zean being executed in his place.
- Nice Hat: A snazzy red fedora.
- Pyrrhic Victory: While Oliver did successfully escape from the metro, he ruined his friendship with Billy and Talia, the only two people in the world (not counting Alastair) whom he had any emotional attachment to in the process.
- Reckless Gun Usage: His first action after receiving his gun as part of Chapter 1's motive was to fire it immediately.
- Street Performer: Alastair's street magic is what got him into Hope's Peak Academy.
- Sympathetic Murderer: Played with in a similar vein to Leon in the source material. While Choharu was trying to kill him and he only initially intended to defend himself, he could have easily gotten away after she twisted her ankle or overpowered her, being the taller of the two. At the very least, he's shown to deeply regret his actions.
- Tap on the Head: After seeing Horoki's corpse, he managed to knock himself out by falling and hitting his head against a wooden plank.
- Too Dumb to Live: Subverted, as while Oliver's decision to burn his blood-covered shirt after killing Choharu without checking if it had been completely incinerated could have single-handedly led to being voted guilty, nothing bad comes of it as no-one was able to find the remaining piece anyway.
- Trademark Clothing: The aforementioned fedora.
SHSL Wood Carver
Billy McCoy was originally conceived in America by American parents, but ended up being born in Japan due to his dad, who was in the military, being stationed there. He was home schooled for a little while, but ended up working at a construction sight with his brother thanks to his step dad (under extreme supervision from the company, of course). One thing Billy and his brother always did since they were little was whittle together. Even with just a plain pocket knife, Billy was incredible at making wood carvings. It wasn't until he was 13 that he could fully enhance and prosper in his skills with wood carving after an accident that happened.
Survives the killing game, and escapes the metro.
- Absurd Phobia: Despite being one of the tallest characters in the roleplay, Billy is terrified of frogs.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He may be a friendly guy, but if you mess with him or those he cares about, watch out. Airi learnt this the hard way.
- Big Eater: The boy likes his cinnamon rolls and apple pie.
- The Ditz: By SHSL standards, Billy isn't particularly smart, exemplified by his failure to find a crucial piece of evidence that was in plain sight.
- Failed a Spot Check: His failure to find the piece of Oliver's shirt in the Mexican restaurant, despite it being in plain sight, directly led to the latter getting away with Choharu's murder.
- Gentle Giant: He's one of the tallest students in the class, but he's also one of the nicest.
- Official Couple: With Talia.
- Twice Shy: At first, neither he or Talia had the nerve to confess to each other.
SHSL Weather Forecaster
Choharu Umihana is known for having an almost perfect ability to predict the weather - better than the actual weather report. She can also predict the month by hearing the recent weather reports. She runs a blog with her weather report, which countless people turn to for the weather rather than the news.
The first killer and second victim of Chapter 3, dying from blood loss from a head wound from Oliver after killing Tora.
- Animal Motif: Frogs, as evidenced by her clothing. She also wears a pair of frog rain boots.
- Asshole Victim: Played with a similar vein to Sayaka in the source material. Before her death, she had already killed Tora, and attempted to kill Alastair as well.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Being one of the nicest characters in the cast, it was hard to think that she killed Tora.
- Cuddle Bug: She has hugged 8 members of the cast, and has no plans to stop there.
- Easily Impressed: If you present vital information, have done a cool accomplishment, and all the while remaining confident, she'll think of you as super cool.
- Genki Girl: Manages to be one of the most energetic and upbeat students in the metro.
- Instant Web Hit: Her blog became very popular almost overnight. People really like accurate weather reports, apparently.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: One of the nicest characters in the game, and has blue eyes to top it all off. Subverted when it's revealed that she killed Tora.
- Just Friends: You flirt with her, she obliviously friendzones you.
- Meaningful Name: The kanji for her name literally translates to "butterfly spring ocean flower".
- Nature Lover: Loves to spend most of her time outside. She often talks about how much she wants to go outside and see the weather.
- Nice Girl: Subverted. She can't be considered all that nice after she kills Tora.
- OOC Is Serious Business: The only time she's serious is when she's investigating murders. She's not even serious in the trials.
- Perpetual Smiler: Is always smiling, even during investigations and trials. How do you stay that positive?
- Rose-Haired Sweetie Subverted. It's hard to call her a sweetie when she killed one of her friends.
- Sweet Tooth: She loves anything sweet, especially if it's strawberry flavored.
- Talk About the Weather: Her SHSL talent largely revolves around this, and her astounding ability to predict it was what got her into Hope's Peak.
- Too Dumb to Live: Her mistake was not even considering the possibility of someone walking in on her committing a murder, thus leading to the situation that got her killed.
- Trademark Clothing: Her frog poncho.
- Unusual Euphemism:
- She uses different weather patterns to describe people's personalities (i.e. sunny = nice, stormy = mean, etc).
- Her exclamation of shock when Shizuhiko gets shot is "What the fog!"
- Verbal Tic: "A-ha!"
Hokori Tatsuki is a Pyrotechnic, which means that she specializes in fire designs. She is 19 years old right now and her birthday is November 2nd. Dont get too close to her or else she might blow up. Get it, blow up? Anyway, her homelife is mysterious and if you try to talk to her shell push you away. She currently favors fire over any human being. She enjoys fires and firework designs. She dislikes social events and friends.
The victim of Chapter 2. She was killed when Shizuhiko called the train to run her over.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: She was knocked out, and then torn apart by being run over by the train.
- Playing with Fire: As the SHSL Pyrotechnician, her talent largely revolves around this, much to the chagrin of the pyrophobic members of the cast (specifically Alastair and Talia).
SHSL Student Council President
Some might know Kanpei Takasugi better as Visor Red, the very first of the Visormen at Matsushina Junior High. What began with the unexpected arrival of a single Super Sentai-like figure furiously cleaning up the school (literally and figuratively) ballooned into a whole squad of bodysuit-wearing students representing the student body. Visor Red's influence on Mastushina Junior High left the public school a transformed place, and today the Visormen serve as faceless representatives for different groups among the students. While their form of student council was never elected, the Visormen exert an unprecedented level of influence over the school in a non-threatening way that supports the institution itself. Visor Red unmasked himself at the end of his time at Matsushina Junior High, revealing himself to be Kanpei Takasugi and welcoming a new Visorman in to take his place as he went on to high school.
The killer of Chapter 1, and executed for killing Suga.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: After tossing down what he thought was a smoke grenade and bearing the brunt of the shrapnel, he is then beheaded by buzzsaw roller blades.
- Excited Title! Two-Part Episode Name!: The running theme of Kanpei's post names, fitting his Sentai-inspired design.
- Sentai: His bodysuit is certainly meant to evoke the image of one.
- Sympathetic Murderer: While Kanpei did murder Suga and planned to have Akira executed in his place, he had reason to believe that Suga was working with Jenova and he was only planning on scaring him, panicking at the worst possible moment. Furthermore, during his Motive Rant, he admitted that he regretted his actions immensely and states that he planned to send help for the others after escaping.
Suga (born in Tokyo, Japan, May 27th) is the only son of bankers Daisuke and Kanon Suga, and a well known mathematician. He was put into advanced programs for prodigies from age six onwards, and has since then gone on to make contributions to the study of mathematics, focusing especially on pure, abstract mathematics, rather than applied. He has won youth competitions catered towards mathematics on both a national and international level, and is today seen as one of the most promising young scientists nationwide. Non academics may know him as the reigning champion of the latest season of late night quiz show Problematic Super Brain, a competition based on puzzles and riddles, which he is slated to return on next year. The university of Tokyo has expressed interest in granting Suga a scholarship after he debuted as a guest lecturer on the topic of calculus at age thirteen, but despite his acclaim that topic remains hotly debated. The issue at hand appears to be related to a number of reports on his blog detailing Sugas apparent love for the nightlife of Harajuku, reports the staff deems as not befitting behaviour for a scholarship student. Suga himself has not commented on the issue. Said blog, ❀~Gōkana Troublemaker~❀, mostly consists of fashion related topics, pictures of street fashion and updates on events and locations, usually based around Harajuku. It has a reputation as being a good source on the matter by people interested in street fashion, but remains widely unknown outside of those specific circles.
The victim of Chapter 1. He was killed when Kanpei shot him in the gut.
- Asshole Victim: Kanpei thought he was working with Jenova. Subverted when Jenova denies that was the case.
- Dying Clue: He leaves behind a series of math problems written in his own blood that points to his killer. The variables are TAK, and the results correspond to the letters RED.
- Good with Numbers: As the SHSL Mathematician, this naturally applies to him.
- The Fashionista: Runs a fashion blog.
- Only One Name: Subverted upon the reveal of his full name in the first Metro Autopsy.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: New outfit every thread. Even on a murder train you gotta look good.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has dyed pink hair.
SHSL Monster Designer
Kuroneko has exploded onto the film scene recently as their most recent movie hit theaters. This up-and-coming monster designer is well known for their ghastly creations in several high-profile movies in the last year, with some famous examples including: the Phasebrute (At Midnight They Maim), the Nethermorph (Monsters Undertaker), The Sorrow Beast (Waxworks Revenge), and the Dawnseeker (Skylights). Not much is known about them as a person, however; they rarely come into the spotlight and seem to keep to themselves. Kuroneko is not their real name, and the film company wont share what it is. Nevertheless, their skills at designing otherworldly monstrosities are unmatched. Theyre currently rumored to be working on a new movie, but no information has been released.
The first victim of Chapter 4, killed by being stabbed by Takumi.
SHSL Murder Mystery Host
Quinn Yap is known as the youngest member in the business of murder mystery entertainment to date, on a professional level. His main headquarters of operation, Fine Blood Wine: Dinner and Mystery Parlor, is hosted in Rapid City, South Dakota, U.S.A. He also has been in other theatrical performances, and hosted a television show for celebrities to try to solve his murder mysteries. Quinn is seventeen years old, having started his business back when he was thirteen years old. His birthday is October 29.
Mysteriously disappears before Chapter 2's motive. He returns in Chaper 4, only to become the second victim from poisoning an hour after from Takumi accidentally activating a trap.
- The Alleged Boss: He still acts like a boss when it comes to show productions, but outside of that you would never expect him to be one. He is very outgoing, and is a wild party animal.
- Giving Someone the Pointer Finger: As some have seen in his interactions, upon meeting someone, he will usually point at them to know it is them he refers to. He also commonly does this in performances for dramatic effect, similar to the pointer finger style of Klavier Gavin.
- Life of the Party: Quinn is infamously known for being a huge party goer when he is not working. He loves being social, and having fun. Just... A bit too much at times.
- Multicolored Hair: His hair is black on the top, but is dyed an almost velvet red on the sides.
- Official Couple: With Setsuko, briefly.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: All of Quinn's post titles are named after Sherlock Holmes stories.
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life: Due to his work, he can't not view things as cliche, or stereotypical when it comes to media. He aims to avoid making plots with the regular cookie cutter traits, and thus wants to be unique. Sometimes he will point out the fact that something is seemingly from a different trope. He will comment on real life occurrences too, making it seem as though he was Breaking the Fourth Wall.
- Welcome to My World: In this game of murder mystery, Quinn feels at home. Except in this case, people actually die. He doesn't like that part.
- Workplace-Acquired Abilities: With his job making him be an actor, businessman, stage manager, and playwright, it is easy to say he is in tune with his social side and what people like to hear.
SHSL Media Critic
Setsuko Shiwa is a 16 year old internet critic who covers many topics in mainstream media with no real focus in one area aside from food and fashion, which she does not cover. Setsuko has been in the critic business for 1 year, starting when she was only 15. Her style of critiquing when it comes to movies and games is reminiscent of the YouTube channel Jontron, and she uploads to sites like VidMe, NicoNicoDouga, and YouTube. When it comes to art and music, they are written. She has gone to a few cons over the past year, having hosted a couple panels. Her upload schedule is once every two weeks, with no day she specifically uploads on. She doesn't make money off of her critiques despite them getting a lot of attention.
Survives the killing game, and escapes the metro.
- Beneath the Mask: Shes not just a critically cold person who is ruthless with her critique, but shes also a leader wannabe who cares for her peers. Shed willingly beat herself up over showing any weakness or loses someone.
- Berserk Button: Shes got two under her belt.
- Calling her short will earn you a violent, angry midget. Shed slap you, if only she could get her hands on you.
- Killing is an extreme no-no in her grounds. This would make her spouting nonsense and threats in either the killer, Jenova, or even the victims expense.
- Compassionate Critic: One of the reasons why she devotes her time to all forms of media is for the idea that the creators and the scene could improve all together.
- Crowd Pleaser: Part of the reason why she does what she does is because of the fan base she acquired, and is devoted to.
- Irrational Hatred: Toward traitors and Jenova.
- Leader Wannabe: Since, in her eyes, she was probably the most rational. Aside from Shizuhiko (out of commission, being shot by Jenova and all), Talia (still traumatized over receiving Kanpeis helmet), and Quinn (nowhere to be found).
- Official Couple: With Quinn, briefly.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to Airi and Billy during Chapter 4, calling them out on fighting in the trial room and taking attention away from Quinn's murder.
- Sweet Tooth: Her icon even shows her with a lollipop!
- Teens Are Short: The shortest member of the class at 4' 9".
When it comes to mycology, Shizuhiko Omori knows what hes doing. The young man has been known to study and grow a variety of mushrooms. Owning an indoor farm where he grows them to sell and even a terrarium that he carries around everywhere, Shizuhiko has extensive knowledge on these odd fruit and will be more than happy to share any of it.
The killer of Chapter 2, and executed for killing Horoki.
- Bullying a Dragon: Making clear his intentions to harm Jenova probably wasn't the best idea when the latter had everyone's guns.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Mushrooms grew out of his body, painfully poisoning him to death.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: At 6'8", Shizuhiko towers above the other students.
SHSL Sugar Sculptor
Everyone likes sweets, right? Well, most people do. But even most people probably don't know about the delicate art that Sugar Sculpting is - fusing candy and shaping it in various forms- of which Takumi Amai is a practitioner, specializing in the art of sugar pulling. Always having strived for perfection, their determination unwavering even when they had to retire from a big contest, their efforts have been rewarded: not only can they claim the first place of many other competitions, but their online shop has a lot of orders daily- and not to mention, their biggest reward: admittance into Hopes Peak Academy, as the Super High School Level Sugar Sculptor!
The killer of Chapter 4, and executed by Jenova after accidentally killing Kuroneko and Quinn.
- Break the Cutie: The events of Chapter 3 really did a number on the poor kid. From the girl they had a crush on being murdered, to finding out she was actually the culprit of another murder, finishing off with sending the wrong person to death, it's no wonder that by the end of the trial, they're reduced to a sobbing mess.
- Cuddle Bug: As their interactions with the others reveal, they really like hugs.
- OOC Is Serious Business:
- Usually a really nice person, the only times they will become serious and stop trusting others is when they are revealed to have committed murder.
- It's also worth mentioning that their positive attitude was completely gone after they saw Choharu's corpse.
- Sweet Tooth: As their talent would imply, they absolutely love sweets.
- Sympathetic Murderer: Although they did kill two people, Kuroneko attempted to stab them, and they killed her in self defense. As for Quinn, they accidentally triggered a trap that released poison gas when they let him out. They didn't know they killed him until the trial.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: They always try to keep an idealistic and positive approach to life. It remains to be seen how well this will hold up after Chapter 3.
Born into a working class family, nobody would have suspected that Talia Newton would come to be renowned by philosophers over three times her age. Her philosophical writings have been printed in over 60 countries and she is considered the Socrates of our time. Despite this praise, she is very modest and rarely makes appearances in person, preferring to keep to herself.
Survives the killing game and escapes the metro.
- Brainy Brunette: Consistently proves to be one of the smartest students in the metro, befitting of the SHSL Philosopher.
- Curtains Match the Window: Has both brown hair and brown eyes.
- The Ditherer: Specifically, the insecure/submissive type.
- Guilt Complex: Talia constantly blames herself whenever something bad happens, even when other characters point out there is no way she could have prevented it.
- Hates Being Touched: Specifically on the arms, due to the burns she received as a child.
- Heroic BSoD: Goes through one after finding out about the actions of some of her closest friends in the metro. Choharu murdered Tora, Airi messed up the crime scene, and Oliver murdered Choharu, getting Zean executed in his place.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: "A Philosopher's _____"
- Letting Her Hair Down: She does this on several occasions, most notably when using the spa.
- Official Couple: With Billy.
- The Philosopher: Her ability in this field is what got her into Hope's Peak in the first place.
- Smart People Speak the Queen's English: Despite being Australian, Talia speaks with a proper British accent. That is, until she is incredibly tired, extremely angry or drunk. Then it switches to a broad Australian accent.
- The Spock: Zigzagged slightly, as although Talia does utilise logic in most situations, she can also be a very emotional person.
- Team Mom: Talia becomes a concerned parental surrogate to the majority of the trapped students.
- Twice Shy: For a while, she and Billy had a mutual crush on each other, but neither of them could say so.
Yami Tora joined the ranks of Hopes Peak Academy as the Super High School Level Occultist. Hes traveled the world ever since a young age, due to his upbringing as the son of an archaeologist. He has a particular interest in collecting 'haunted items, or items with strong spiritual connections, and even has a massive collection of artifacts and trinkets that would make a paranormal investigator crawl right out of their skin. According to his parents, the reason he wears his iconic blindfold over his eyes, is due to a pack of dogs that attacked him while he was a kid. Tora often boasts about his 'prized possession, even going as far as carrying it around on his back at all times, though no one as of yet has seen what this object is.
The first victim of Chapter 3, dying due to being drowned by Choharu.
- Last-Name Basis: Unlike the other characters, who are referred to by their given names, Tora is referred to by his last.
- Tap on the Head: He was knocked out before being drowned.
SHSL Folk Dancer
The family name of Richelieu is not just famous around the dancing community, but also around the world. Striking in with their fancy suits and masquerade masks, these elegant dancers were raised under the same roof, merged into different models. One of them is Zean Anthony Richelieu, a seventeen-year old man with big dreams. Raised by his father and taught by his aunt, the adolescent male escaped the family boundaries and went on to study the trickiest kind of dance, folk dance. Folk dancing isnt very much common to France so he went on to study Filipino Folk Dance, which was where his Aunt grew up in. Unlike any other folk dance, Filipino Folk Dance showed more meaning into it. Each step represented a part of a story that came with the dance, which what got Zean intrigued with it. However, he did not do this alone. He is a member of the Folk Dance group named "Pas Des Tous", which grew fame and gave popularity back into Folk Dancing to the Filipino culture.
Although he didn't kill anyone, he was executed due to a mistrial in Chapter 3.
- False Confession: Does this in Chapter 3, apparently to prove a point in not blindly trusting others. It ends up working, resulting in the first mistrial of the RP.
- Jerkass: One of the most abrasive students in the metro, which backfires on him when his false confession to Choharu's murder is believed too easily.
The victim of Chapter 5. His killer was Akira, the mastermind of the killing game.
- Ascended Meme: His nickname amongst the players is Danny Trainbang, due to his strong resemblance to Danny Sexbang. His full name is revealed to be Jenova Daniel Hickory. So, you could still call him Danny and it wouldn't be wrong.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Cheetos!
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Why yes, his parents did name him after the Jenova from Final Fantasy VII.