Alice is a shy girl, finding it difficult to talk to other people and prefers to smile and nod, rather than admit her true feelings about something or someone. She has a horrible inferiority complex to her older sister Mayura and is secretly in love with Kyo. When Alice has had enough of her sister, she blurts out that she wishes that Mayura were to disappear... which she does.
Together with Kyo, she sets out to find her sister and reconcile with her.
- Attempted Rape: Her short-term boyfriend Matsujo tried to, but she was rescued by Kyo. When Kazuki tries it later, she manages to throw him off before Kyo interrupts and Kazuki leaves.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: She can dish things out when she actually wants to. Alice is outgoing and extreme about Frey's repeated antics and threw a book into Oishi's face once.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Too shy to admit to Kyo that she liked him. Later on, she mustn't spit it out, otherwise the curse Mayura put on Kyo will kill him.
- Character Development: Alice starts off as an introverted girl that prefers to speak via SMS to other people, but grows more corageous as the story continues, with her not shirking away from arguments anymore.
- Hair Decorations: In her neomaster attire, she has a decorative hairband.
- Heroic BSoD: Falls into a temporary one when Nyozeka sacrifices herself.
- I Wished You Were Dead: She tells Mayura that she hates her and wants her to disappear, which she promptly does, setting off the story.
- Sacred First Kiss: Frey pecks her lips, which was her first kiss. She retaliates.
- Shrinking Violet: Her main issue, she's too afraid to speak her mind honestly.
Kyo is part of the archery club and is laid-back for the most part, but dead serious when it comes to protecting those which are important to him. He starts dating Mayura, after she confessed to him, but slowly realizes that he can't properly love her like he should and blames himself when she disappears. Kyo ends up realizing he's got feelings for Alice.
Kyo tries to get Mayura back with Alice's help.
- The Ace: Great at archery, great grades and great looking. Justified, he forced himself to be better than average in every field to please his relatives, when he was living with them.
- Berserk Button: Do not ever be a guy who hurts women! Kyo will beat you within an inch of your life.
- Cooldown Hug: Alice gives him one when Kyo is beating up some guys who were angering him.
- Curse: Unbeknowst to him, Mayura put a curse on Kyo, preventing Alice from confessing. If she does, Kyo will die. The curse is lifted when Kyo comes to terms with his father.
- Dark and Troubled Past: His father was an abusive alcoholic towards his mother, who died of illness when he was a child. After his father disappeared, he was shoved and rotated into various relatives' homes and disliked.
- Disappeared Dad: His father left his wife's funeral and was not seen since. He died shortly after, his death listed as 'unusual circumstances'.
- Hidden Depths: He's an amazing baker and often creates the desserts at his uncle's café.
- In the Blood: Convinced that, since his father was an abuser, Kyo is just as capable of beating people as his father was. Alice convinces him he's not.
- I Wished You Were Dead: Kyo told his alcoholic father that he should die.
- Missing Mom: His mother died of illness when he was in elementary school.
- Raised By Relatives: After his mother's death and father's disappearance, he was raised by various relatives.
- Self-Made Orphan: Worries that it could be true that his wishing his father died was the actual cause of death.
- These Hands Have Killed: In a fit of rage, he ended up strangling a classmate to death in middle school.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Kyo cannot remember his mother's funeral well. He told his father that he should die during it, who then proceeded to leave and disappear, which Kyo has forced himself to forget.
Frey is a Lotis Master from northern Europe and originally came to Japan in order to search for a bride. After finding Alice and Kyo, he takes over as their mentor in Lotis matters. He has feelings for Alice and often tries to get her to reciprocate.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Alice gives him a pretty big handprint on his face after he kisses her.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He lost his parents early on and, like Kyo, was shuffled to various relatives. When he was fifteen, he lived with his uncle and cousin, Ida, but was later thrown out when his uncle learned that he and his cousin were involved. When Ida found Frey and begged him to run away with her, he declined because it was too much for him. Ida committed suicide and Frey found her the next day.
- Hidden Depths: Frey is a great cook.
- The Lost Lenore: His cousin Ida.
- Love Hurts: Learned his lesson about how terrifying love can be with Ida.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: He insists that Alice marry him, though he does tone this down somewhat in later volumes.
- Motherly Sideplait: Frey has a braid on his left side, the braid being a tradition to have in his group.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Jam. He likes eating it at all times, even with salad.
- Tragic Keepsake: His large earring. It was originally a pendant that Ida wore and he wears it to remember her by. Frey loses the earring when he escapes an hourglass that was going to drown him in sand. He says it's time to return the earring to her.
Christopher William Orson Andrew Roland III
A young Lotis Master from England. He came to Japan in order to help Alice and Kyo learn about Lotis matters.
- Cunning Linguist: Speaks several languages. Justified, Chris states that it's part of the training to learn several languages in case of being needed in other countries. Lampshaded by Alice who says that his Japanese is very good.
- Do Not Call Me That: Due to his long name, he insists that calling him Chris is much simpler.
- Overly Long Name: Christopher William Orson Andrew Roland... The Third. His butler is insistent on the full name.
- Parrot Pet Position: His pet swallow is often on his shoulder or arm, when it isn't in its cage.
- The Stoic: He never really shows many emotions. Unless it involves sweets or trauma.
- Sweet Tooth: Chris loves sweets. Unfortunately, when eating them he becomes entranced with the taste and can barely concentrate.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: His father is very busy and successful, which often left Chris alone and in the care of his butler or teachers. Chris ran across a street to see his father, but was run over by a car. When his father showed up at the hospital, crying, he realized how his father loved him.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: He's only thirteen years old, but knows more than he lets on. Until he eats something sweet, that is...
A Lotis Master from China who came to Japan in order to help Alice and Kyo fight Darva. Mei-Lin works in an office, but actually wants to become a popstar.
- All Asians Know Martial Arts: She practices Tai-Chi.
- Buxom Is Better: Has big breasts, Chris called her Boobie-Lin when he couldn't remember her name.
- Genki Girl: She's up-beat and smiling, even during terrible situations.
- Hero of Another Story: In Bunny Heart, a one-shot at the end of the last volume, revolves around her ancestor and how she encountered Nyozeka centuries ago.
An American Lotis Master who came to Japan to help Alice and Kyo fight Darva.
- Almighty Janitor: When he's not doing Lotis duties, he's a regular employee in a post-office.
- Cool Shades: Never takes his sunglasses off.
- Gentle Giant: He's almost 2 meters tall, but is a very compassionate and gentle man.
- Scary Black Man: Played with. Billy looks pretty intimidating at first glance, but is not scary once you get to know him.
The creator of the Lotis words.
- Ambiguously Brown: Tanned skin, but his actual ethnicity is never made explicit, but he seems to have a bit of all races in him.
- Loyal Animal Companion: Turns out he was said to always have had a white rabbit by his side. Implied to have always been Nyozeka.
- My Greatest Failure: He blames himself for not being able to help his apprentice, who fell to his inner darkness and create the Maram words.
- Rapunzel Hair: Even in a braid, it still reaches very, very far down his back.
Mayura is the first daughter from the family Seno and better in everything when compared to her sister. She's outgoing, headstrong and still sweet like a flower. Mayura has a long-standing crush on Kyo and chooses to confess to him on his birthday. When the two start dating, she finds out that Alice likes him, too, and tries to get her a boyfriend.
Alice ends up telling Mayura that she hates her and wishes for her to disappear, so she does. She was momentarily helped when she saw Kyo as her light out of the darkness, but her hurt feelings were too much and she returned to the darkness. Mayura eventually is returned to her family, now a host for Darva.
Mayura turns City Hall into her base of operation and releases Mara onto the entire city. She eventually realizes her wrong-doings and begs Alice and Kyo to save her, before she is consumed by Darva. She is eventually rescued.
- The Ace: Alice sees Mayura as such, with better grades, better in sports and better in social aspects.
- Broken Ace: Mayura thinks of herself as this, forced to be an Ace due to the pressure and expectations of her parents on her.
- Dark Magical Girl: Played up a lot in the art depicting her in black.
- Demonic Possession: Darva possesses her, needing a host to be in the real world.
- She later manages to visually possess the other Maram Masters' bodies to interact with the real world, while she remains in city hall.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Her boyfriend kisses her younger sister and admits his feelings for her? Time to slice said sister's face and body with glass shards!
- Faking Amnesia: After she is returned to her family in volume 3, she faked amnesia of everything that happened in the Inner Heart, but quickly stops the charade.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She willingly steps aside after Darva's defeat and smiles after Alice confesses her feelings to Kyo.
- Woman Scorned: Her main reason for her actions is that she feels hurt and betrayed by her sister, who didn't tell her that she loved the same guy, and Kyo, who she thinks shoved her aside for her sister.
A young Maram Master. He is used as the default host for Mayura to use in order to wander around outside the city hall.
Samuel used to sing in a choir, but some of the kids were jealous and pranked him into eating glass shards, which destroyed his voice. He almost turns into a Mara himself, but Kyo and Alice's Areto cleanse him.
- Hair of Gold: Has beautiful golden curls.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: His past shows that he was actually a rather nice person.
One of the Maram Masters.
- Flower Motifs: Flowers are used as an analogy of being beautiful, but turning ugly as they wilt. Her Maram mask also has a distinct rose pattern.
- Really 700 Years Old: Keyna is apparently 92 years old, despite looking like she's in her early twenties.
- Woman Scorned: She was left by her husband for a younger woman, who mocked her because she was old.
A Maram Master.
He's actually the death demon - a strong Mara that wanders in the real world and kills those to whom death was wished upon, feasting on them.
- Humanoid Abomination: Looks pretty human, but underneath his coat is his real form. A human head with a gelatinous, oozing body with claw-like hands and feet, strings of the ooze hanging from his arms to his body and several heads popping out from his torso.
- No Name Given: His name is never mentioned. It's unclear if he even has a name, but is referred to as the Deathdemon.
- The Quiet One: He barely has any lines before his big moments.
- You Killed My Father: He was the one who killed Kyo's father, after Kyo told him he should go die. He has also killed countless other people before him.
Frey's friend and companion from the North European Lotsan union. Eric found Frey years ago, back when Frey was about to freeze to death, and told him about the Lotis and eventually got him to join.
Eric suffers from a terminal disease. In his fear, his Lotis words were incapable of healing him and he succumbed to his inner darkness and decided to join the Maram Masters, realizing that their words were stronger. He is also the one who released the Mara among his union's comrades and watched as they all killed each other. Eric mocks Frey before he dies of his illness, hoping to destroy Frey's spirit.
- Beneath the Mask: Gives off a friendly and gentle nature around most people but is an angry and desperate man underneath who gave up on the power of the Lotis words, that were incapable of healing him, and joins the Maram side. Coupled with an actual mask, with the identity only revealed once the mask comes off.
- Big Brother Mentor: Frey sees him as this. Subverted when Frey's quick mastering of several Lotis makes Eric feel inferior to him.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: While still masking as a faithful Lotis Master, his hair parts in the middle to both sides and he wears the standard Motherly Sideplait of his union. When he's in his Maram Master attire, the sideplait falls off and he has his hair brushed back from his face.
- Incurable Cough of Death: It's never revealed what exactly his illness is, but a bonemark transfer was mentioned.
- The Reveal: He's a traitor to the Lotis and joined the Maram side.
- 13 Is Unlucky: The 13 black bells that ring in his demise.
- Walking Spoiler: Not even his name can be mentioned without spoiling something!
Mayura and Alice's mother.She faints in Mayura's room once, thinking she saw her daughter. It came from a Mara disease that Mayura put into the house, to rip her mother away from Alice.
- Parents as People: Her harsh words and behavior toward Alice when Mayura is initially missing is nothing more than the desparate, frustrated feelings of a worried mother. She does better herself and tries to show more compassion and understanding for Alice later on.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Come across as this, being very focused on her family's well-being.
Mayura and Alice's father.
- No Name Given: His first name is never mentioned.
- Noodle Incident: Apparently, while he was out looking for Mayura, he ran into a bunch of street thugs, was mistaken for a hooker customer and arrested by the police.
- Parents as People: He goes to work, despite his older daughter missing, because he still sees himself as responsible for earning money for the family. His more distant relationship with Alice comes about because she was too shy and both were unclear about what they can talk about with each other.
- Workaholic: A man who throws himself into work after his older daughter disappears. Subverted, Mayura began to influence him and force him away from the family to leave Alice behind all alone.
Kyo's maternal uncle. He took him in about two years ago and taught him how to bake in his café.
- Happily Married: To Kyo's uncle.