Erma Felna | The Felna Family | Extraplanetary Defense Force and the ConFed | Independent Lepine Republic | Enchawah Corp. | Creators/Khai | Other Characters | Steve's Reality Check
The family whose Erma belongs and maybe one of the most important ones, for obvious reasons, in the whole story. The Felnas are a family deeply entrenched in the internal working of the EDF, as their ancestors were the founding members of it.
Tropes associated with them:
- All There in the Manual: Many aspects of their personalities are explained with more detail in Gallacci's FurAffinity's homepage rather than the comic, but some points could be considered outright revisions than explanations, partly due to the author's 2016 Retcon on many aspects of the story.
- The Beautiful Elite: Despite being rather old, even Kanoc, Chunti and Eda are good-looking in their own particular way, and that without mentioning their offspring.
- Big Fancy House: While we don't see it entirely, it's heavily implied their house is really big, with a botanic garden included.
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: The Felnas were already screwed up even before Erma was born (in fact, she was born in a middle of a terrorist attack.) and later when Kanoc is captured and tortured by the ILR, but after Tavas Ikalik decided to make Erma suffer BIG TIME, the things are starting to get much uglier for them.
- Blue Blood: The Felnas were the founding members of both the EDF and the ConFed and many of their members were politicians or soldiers and their members are more or less treated like royalty, despite being more humble than other examples of this trope.
- Cat Folk: According with Word of God, The Felnas are not based in any specific race, albeit some fans pointed out they look like between the Manx cat, a breed from the Isle of Man in the U.K., the Abyssinian cat and the Japanese bobtail cat.
- Family Business: Somewhat, but the Felnas are members from a very large family involved with the EDF military and the ConFed's politics since decades.
- Inexplicably Tailless: An aversion: Erma and her family only had a very small tail which is only visible when naked, compared with other Feline characters. Oddly enough, Alfon and Tavas, which both are also Felines like them, are also tailless despite being unrelated by blood with them.
- Non-Idle Rich: Despite being aristocrats living in a Big Fancy House and living better than the average family of the setting, that doesn't stop them, at least for Kanoc and his daughter Erma, to being members of the military by their own merits. In the case of Erma, that doesn't stop her to being able to kick ass.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Despite being felines, all the Felnas doesn't have a tail, except a very small one when naked, and all the females have head hair. The only exception on this rule is Kala Tanaia, Erma's direct descendant, from Birthright who is the only member of the family without head hair and it also sports a tail.
- Another very egregious example of this is Erma's aunt Chunti, who appears in a single issue: While she looks physically like the other females Felnas, on the other hand, she looks and dress like a traditional Indian woman, complete with a bindi, who really sticks like a sore thumb compared with the rest of her countrymen, who are basically alien furry Japanese.
- A Lizard Named "Liz": Notable for being the only ones using this trope. Also overlaps with Species Surname.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: While they're technically aristocrats than royals, and with the sole exception of Eda, all the members of the family had some business with the armed forces or politics.
- Uncertain Doom: Their final fate has never being fully explained to this date. The last time we saw them they were trying to surviving the aftermath of the ILR-induced armageddon on Dornthant, with Kanoc and Rojigo living in a refugee camp and Eda living with another family for the time being. On the other hand, Tasak's fate is barely explained, as it was implied he ended up insane after he figured out he helped Tavas to destroy his own family unwillingly, and it took years to reunite again with the rest of them, sans Erma. They don't appear in the Distant Finale either, and Gallacci's statements about their whereabouts are very contradictory.
- Wutai: Judging by how Erma and her family are described in the story, The Felnas' homeworld of Dornthant is basically the alien version of Japan, including having similar traditions, sleeping in futons and having similar cultural quirks associated with the Japanese and their culture. This cultural fact is even referenced in-universe, in a way that it could sound borderline racist when addressed to a Japanese in Real Life.
Cadet Tasak Felna
Affiliation: Extraplanetary Defense Force
Ranks held: Cadet
Birthplace: Annahport, Planet Dornthant II
Date of Birth: SD 175
- Annoying Younger Sibling - He is one for Erma and ruined her life, unwillingly.
- The Corruptible
- Despair Event Horizon: Just like his elder sister, he crosses the line when he finds out he's partly responsible of the destruction of his own family and almost obliterating his own homeland.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Being The Unfavorite for everyone has really damaged his self-steem and he really wants to be along in the EDF with his sister. Tavas uses this on his favor to get him in his side
- Hoist by His Own Petard : The only thing Tasak got when he joined forces with Tavas Ikalik was getting his whole family disintegrated, his homeworld destroyed, millions of his people killed and ending insane.
- Inadequate Inheritor: The Net (and also the side-story Scenes From A Room) blatantly state Tasak was originally intended to join the EDF instead of Erma, on the grounds he is male and his grades are even better than his older sister, just like his father and his previous predecessors. But the Net refused to allow him to join the EDF because his psychological profile shows him he's mentally unstable, and unfit to join the EDF, so the AI chose Erma instead, despite being female.
- My God, What Have I Done?
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: He betrays his family by siding with Tavas just to be able to be in the EDF after years of being ignored by his family by favoring Erma over him.
- Sibling Rivalry - Towards her older sister Erma, due to the fact she was the favorite of the family. It doesn't end well for either of them.
- A Tragedy of Impulsiveness: This is what happens to him during the Dornthant sub-arc due of his insistence of being a member of the EDF, as he's indirectly responsable of every that happened during the ILR attack on Dornthant by accidentally providing information about his family to Tavas, his senior officer and Erma's former boyfriend, and using that information to destroy his family.
- The Unfavorite: To the grade even The Net doesn't want him to be a member of the EDF due of his mental state. Tavas managed to hack The Net just to get him in the EDF anyways.
- Unwitting Pawn: At the end of the things, he is nothing other than Tavas' tool for his ambitions.
- Villainous Breakdown - Despite he's not evil per se (just a misguided dude who wants to join the EDF at any cost) he suffers one when he finds out Tavas' real intentions after Dornthant was bombed by the ILR thanks to him and tries to kill Tavas with his own hands.
Eda Felna (neé Kammati)Erma's mother and Kanoc's wife. She's the only member of the Felna family not involved in the military or in politics, since she's a school professor and a writer instead. She was also oppossed with the respective military careers of her sons, due of her sad fate of her husband.
- Actual Pacifist: Eda is the only member of the Felna family who doesn't participate, nor have any interest, in either politics or warfare. This is justified for two reasons: The first one is the fact how the war traumatized her husband Kanoc and having to being the face of the family in his place and the second one is she is not a member of the Felnas in first place, meaning she has her own different ideas, as she wants to be a normal housewife along her sons and husband.
- Disney Death: We don't know anything about her after the ILR almost wiped out Dornthant, but in the final epilogue, it's mentioned she's survived and reunited with her husband and her grandson Rojigo, but she never managed to reunite with Erma again.
- Furry Female Mane: A very long, raven-haired one.
- Hidden Depths: According with Word of God recently, Eda was a former model when she was attending college, hence why she still looks so good at her age.
- Non Action Girl
- Parents as People: While not as bad as her husband Kanoc, she also made many mistakes since the childhood of her sons, and being unable to do anything for prevent her youngest son Tasak to join the EDF, due of the way he was treated since childhood, to the grade it also caused the downfall of her family.
- Proper Lady: Even more than her daughter.
- Rapunzel Hair: She is holds the record of having the longest hair of all the females of the story, even longer than her own daughter Erma, as her hair reaches to her hips.
- Secret Identity: She, Kanoc and Rojigo went into hiding using fake IDs from Tavas and his goons after the bombing.
- Strong Family Resemblance: She's is practically an older Erma with darker and longer hair, to the grade they share the same body frame by Word of God, albeit her fur is darker than Erma's one, according with some recent color pin-ups of her.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Taking into account she hails from basically the alien version of Japan, she has the vibe of this. She even sits in seiza pose while drinking tea, Japanese-style.
- Teen Pregnancy: She's still being a good-looking woman despite her age, it does help she conceived Erma in her teens.
Former Squadron Commander Kanoc FelnaErma's father and former member of the EDF, who was discharged after being tortured by the ILR, causing Erma to join the EDF and avenging him.
- Author Avatar: Design-wise, he looks a lot like a feline version of his author Steven Gallacci, especially in his most recent pinups due to Art Evolution, albeit a bit younger and slimmer.
- Berserk Button: Anything related with the army can really put him in the edge of his already fragile sanity, for very obvious reasons.
- Call to Agriculture: Albeit not by his own choice, but he seems to enjoy it anyways.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Courtesy of the ILR, and it's not very pretty to see when he suffers one of his outbursts.
- Dad's Off Fighting in the War: Downplayed: He did left his family behind when he participated in the First Lepine War along with Joseph Arrat and Alliusiz, but he returned when ended up mentally crippled by the ILR. Ironically enough, Erma inverts this on her own family, out of necessity.
- Dad the Veteran: He was discharged due to the torture received by the ILR army and he isn't able to serve in the EDF anymore.
- Disney Death: He survived along his grandson and wife to the ILR planetary bombing, but he never managed to reunite with Erma again.
- Enhanced Interrogation Techniques: He was tortured by the ILR using both chemical and electric means.
- For Want of a Nail: He, along with the ILR itself, are the nails for the origin of Erma as a legendary soldier: Haven't he being tortured to insanity by the ILR, Erma wouldn't never have the motivation to join the EDFnote , she could have remained a Fake Cutie and a Jerkass for the rest of her life, jeopardizing any attempt to join the EDF later, something The Net itself makes painfully clear to Erma later on and very possibly he, Erma and the rest of the Felnas could have died during the ILR attack to their homeworld.
- Hero of Another Story: He is planned to appear in Albedo Combat Patrol 164, as the game takes place during the First Lepine War, the war when he participated in.
- I Have No Son!: Kanoc disowns his son Tasak after he told him he's going to enrole on the EDF against his family wishes, thanks to Tavas.
- The Patriarch: Subverted. Due to his actual mental state, that job goes for his wife Eda instead, much for her chagrin.
- Parents as People: He is a very nice person, but even before the incident when he was tortured by the ILR, it's more than obvious Kanoc is terrible as a parent, since he preferred his daughter Erma more than his son Tasak for some bizarre reason. And most of his decisions he took for protect Tasak only to prevent him end up like his father ends backfiring against Kanoc and the rest of the family as well, due of the way how he raised him, causing Tasak to side with Tavas just to be able to join the army.
- Secret Identity: He, Eda and Rojigo went into hiding using fake IDs from Tavas and his goons after the bombing.
- Shellshocked Veteran
- The Stoic: According with Erma during one of her Bad Dreams, Kanoc was as stoic as Erma is when he was young but he mellowed out of this thanks of Joseph Arrat, Itzak's father.
- Strong Family Resemblance: A minor case, as the only things Erma resembles of him are his fur (they both share the same color scheme), his military career, his former stoicism, and both being poets in uniform.
Birthplace: Planet Ish-Tako
Date of Birth: SD 198-01-23
- Babies Make Everything Better - And in the case of Kanoc, Rojigo helps to overcome his psychological damage due of the torture by the ILR. Too bad his happiness was short-lived...
- Cheerful Child
- Cute Kitten
- Dead Guy Junior: In-universe, he's named after her mother Erma's maternal grandfather.
- Disney Death - He survived along his grandfather to the ILR planetary bombing, but he never managed to reunite with his mother ever again.
- Parental Abandonment: His father Alfon is now dead, and his mother was exiled from her homeworld, possibly for good.
- The Quiet One: While this is quite understandable at first because he was a baby at first, even as a grown-up and being able to talk, he doesn't speak too much compared with the rest of his family or even compared with his mother Erma.
- Hidden Depths: It's heavily implied that he's also a Talent like her mother, or at least he's somewhat sensible to her psychic powers.
- Raised by Grandparents: Due of the ILR attack to his homeworld, the death of Alfon and Erma's retaliative pursue against the ILR.
- Secret Identity: He and his grandfathers went into hiding using fake IDs from Tavas and his goons after the bombing.
- Significant Anagram: His name is a bad anagram of Gojira. Even Toki lampshades that during a mild moment of Leaning on the Fourth Wall.
- Walking Spoiler