open/close all folders
Akiba Freedom FightersThey are a group of Otaku that always hangs out at the MOGRA cafe in Akiba. They act as a volunteer group and does things like pick up litter, guide tourists, and occasionally help keep Akihabara peaceful by intervening in fights.
Tropes shared by the group
- Badass Crew: They can handle their own in fights, even with the physically enhanced synthisters.
- Improbable Weapon User: Aside from Tohko, none of them use anything resembling an actual weapon.
- Jumped at the Call: As soon as everyone learns of what happened to the protagonist and Shizuku's mission with the synthisters, they immediately offer their help.
- Otaku: To varying degrees, the most hardcore being Kati and Nana.
- True Companions: They will look out for each other through thick and thin. The first thing the protagonist gets from the other members are messages of worry when he doesn't show up at MOGRA for three days.
Tropes for Nanashi/the protagonist
- Big Eater: Becomes one after becoming a synthister. One comment on the in-game social media site Pitter stated he ate a bunch of meals in under 20 minutes.
- Chick Magnet: He somehow becomes one after the start of the story. Tohko, Shizaku, Shion, Rin, Nana, The officer you pay your bail with, the arena manager Antoinette, all the girls who crush on you as your reputation increases, and even (though she doesn't have a route) Kati. All in all, not bad for a hopeless otaku.
- Cloudcuckoolander: He frequently gets jokey dialogue options that make him come off as this (though if you choose too many of them early on you can get yourself killed before the game even properly starts.)
- Faustian Rebellion: He uses his Synthister powers to fight the people that made him a Synthister.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: His official name is Nanashinote , but the player can change his name to whatever.
- The Hero
- Humanoid Abomination: On top of being a Synthister, Shizuku suggests he's "something beyond a Synthister."
- Idiot Hero: Many of his dialogue options came as this.
- Improbable Weapon User: Aside from the common weapons such as boxing/combat gloves and wooden katanas/batons, he can hurt synthisters with things like posters, plushies, and glow sticks.
- Our Vampires Are Different: He's a synthister, an artificially created vampire. Unlike other synthisters who suck life energy, he can apparently re-energize by simply eating a lot.
- Super Reflexes: This, and Super Strength, are the perks of being a Synthister.
- Taught by Experience: One of his dialogue options is to say he picked up a few combat skills "from the fires of Tohko's wrath."
- Unskilled, but Strong: His fighting style amounts to Good Old Fisticuffs, and he is usually very clumsy with any weapon he picks up. That said, as a Synthister, his physical ability is much higher than normal.
- Badass Abnormal: She became Rin's familiar in her ending
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Her starting weapons are a pair of sports gloves.
- Boobs of Steel: She looks like her chest in a little bigger than that of the rest of the girls. She's also the resident Bare-Fisted Monk.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Had Rin hypnotize her to believe she can slay a thousand synthisters. She's more susceptible than she thought.
- Childhood Friends: With the protagonist and Nana.
- Childhood Friend Romance: If the protagonist ends up on her route.
- Otaku: Possibly the least one in the entire cast, with the exception of Shizuku, who is not familiar with the culture.
- Tomboy: She acts more boyish than the other girls in the group, and in one conversation, asks whether she should start acting more girly.
- Braids of Action: She sports double braids with a blue bow tie on each of them.
- But Now I Must Go: Leaves Akiba in the endings. Her good ending has Nanashi convincing her to stay in Akiba.
- Fangirl: After a Striprism marathon, she becomes dedicated to portraying Lili via cosplay.
- Final Boss: Of Shion's route, alongside a bunch of cops.
- First Girl Wins: If the protagonist ends up on her route.
- Must Make Amends: Turning Nanashi into her familiar and making him "inhuman" weighs heavily on her conscience throughout the story. Stopping her people's best chance of avoiding eventual extinction causes her to leave Akiba in order to take responsibility for foiling Soga's plan.
- Mysterious Waif: Her introduction has her barging in and saving the protagonist's ass from Zenya and his goons, but up until the latter half of the game, she's only known as a synthister hunter.
- Parasol of Pain: Her Weapon of Choice is her umbrella, White Rainbow.
- The Stoic: She rarely speaks above a hushed tone.
- Ass Kicks You: Her unique weapon charge attack has her doing this.
- Malaproper: As a young Finlander who traveled to Japan, her grasp on the language is still a little shaky, especially when it comes to metaphors.
- Meido: Her default outfit.
- Phenotype Stereotype: She's a blonde haired, blue eyed Finnish.
- Platonic Life-Partners: She doesn't have a route. Subverted in that she still digs Nanashi and thinks he's a pretty cool dude.
- Plucky Girl: Even when the future looks bleak, she never lets her mood go sour for it.
The Tachibana twins
Yuto and Kaito Tachibana
Voiced by: Junichi Yanagita (Japanese), Steve Staley (English) (Yuto)
Kihachi "Pops" Sugiyama
Voiced by: Toshitsugu Takashina (Japanese), Taliesin Jaffe (English)
- Cool Old Guy
- Genre Savvy: Frequently applies Hero Tropes and similar things to the Freedom Fighters' current situation.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": He explicitly states to Shizuku that he prefers to be called "Pops" ("Master" in Japanese).
- Retired Badass:
- Antoinette, the Arena Manager, mentioned his strength in passing. Also, later in the game, MOGRA Headquarters get attacked by a crowd of synthisters. Guess who can send one flying with one punch.
- You can also feel his EXPLOSIVE Punches in Shizuku's route.
- And you can fight him in Shion's route.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Subverted. She gives off the impression at first, but she shows her true colors later on. Especially if you do her side missions.
- BrotherSister Incest: Discussed. She starts to bring up the idea in one dialog (without explicitly saying so), only to decide that it's something that's only cool in anime and do a verbal backpedal. Doesn't stop her from idle fantasies involving the Broadwarrior, though.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Didn't get along with Shizuku when she found her hanging out with her Brother.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Parodied. Despite everyone knowing her name, she's frequently referred to as simply "the sister."
- Hikikomori: Doesn't like to spend a lot of time outdoors, and will often refuse to accompany you on her fetch quests. It stems from a fight/argument she had with some school friends, causing her to withdraw from the rest of society, which you can help fix at the end of her side quests if you want.
- Pungeon Master: She makes a load of bro puns when addressing our brotagonist in the English localization.
- Verbal Tic: In the English dub, she makes a lot of bro puns, e.g. Brotagonist, Brovert, and Brobocop.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves you from Zenya Amo during your first fight against him.
- Cat Smile: She shows it quite often, especially when she's scheming (or at least pretending to).
- Idol Singer: For Daishihon Pharmaceuticals.
- Instrument of Murder: Her default weapon is her Electric Keyboard.
- Girlish Pigtails: Reaches up to her hips.
- Mystical White Hair: She has silver hair and she is a vampire.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A + Tsundere + Twintails = GRADE S!!
- Absolute Cleavage: Her business suit.
- Boobs of Steel: She's easily the bustiest of the game's heroines and a strong fighter in her own right.
- Cool Big Sis: Likes acting this way towards Nanashi, especially in her route where she actually refers to herself as his big sister twice.
- Dance Battler: Some of her combos ends with her using Ballet.
- Honest Corporate Executive: She's only in it for the research and discoveries for the good of the people.
- Ambiguous Gender: Antoinette comes across as a woman, but there is a lot of speculation that she is actually a he.
- Badass Preacher: We don't actually see Antoinette perform Miko duties but (s)he certainly can put up a good fight.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Antoinette's eyes always look empty and a little sad.
- Hair Decorations: A red ribbon.
- Miko: Antoinette wears a traditional outfit with white jacket and red hakama.
- Purple Eyes: Antoinette has purple eyes, which increase the mysterious aura (s)he gives off.
- BFS: His Izayoi. It gets better when he unlocks its Izayoi Oboro mode.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He shows up far, far earlier than his official introduction, shadowing Nanashi and Kati while on their shopping trip. It's very easy just to dismiss him as another "I'm such a mysterious wanderer" cosplayer at that point.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: His species, the Nighteaters, are dying out. To save them, he is attempting to harvest the Life Energy of the humans of the world, starting with those in Akihabara.
Voiced by: Daichi Kanbara (Japanese), Christopher Corey Smith (English)
- Large Ham: Increasingly as he reveals his beliefs about Otaku and his agenda, and especially during his Villainous Breakdown.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Claims he will level up after defeating Nanashi and Shizuku, and that his stats are higher than other "mob characters".
- Otaku: While this isn't immediately apparent, it becomes clear after fighting him in the battle arena, and when you later encounter him hunting Synthisters in Shion's Route
- Starter Villain: The first bad guy you meet and serves as a mid-game boss.
- Technicolor Blade: The blade of his weapon, Crimson Death, is red.
- This Cannot Be!: Once you defeat him in the arena.
- Villainous Breakdown: Once you do enough damage to him to strip some of his clothing, he starts to suffer from this.
Voiced by: Koji Fujiyoshi (Japanese), Jamieson Price (English)
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Has been plotting behind CEO Shion's back to take over Daishihon Pharmaceuticals. He succeeds. He's also the one supporting Soga and the Synthisters.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Though he's not killed, the Big Bad tells him to get out of his sight after you defeat Koma, which is essentially the same thing.