Characters of the 2012 film, Adventures in Zambezia.
The main protagonist of Adventures in Zambezia.
- Blue Is Heroic: He has blue feathers, which he inherited from his dead mother.
- Despair Event Horizon: He gets pretty upset once he is discharged from the Hurricanes.
- Establishing Character Moment: He is first seen flying around a herd of giraffes, showing how much of a cocky flyer he is.
- Missing Mom: His mother, Amaya was killed by Budzo before the events of the movie.
- Nice Guy: He's brave, friendly and good-natured.
- Naïve Newcomer: To Zambezia, initially.
- Rousing Speech: He gives the residents of Zambezia one of these when Budzo begins his invasion.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Kai inherited his blue feathers from his deceased mother. The only thing he inherited from his father was his eye color.
Kai's father and One of the founders of the Hurricanes.
- Action Dad: He's a Peregrine Falcon who's both a brave warrior and a loving father.
- Anger Born of Worry: He only gets angry with Kai because he wants him to be safe.
- Badass in Distress: Spends most of the movie in Budzo's clutches.
- Berserk Button: Do not bring up that his wife is dead.
- Happily Married: While his marriage wasn't shown at all in the entire movie, it's pretty clear that he loved his wife.
- Heartbroken Badass: After his wife, Amaya is killed by Budzo. He does move on from his wife's death, but doesn't remarry, and it took a while for him to return to Zambezia.
- Not So Above It All: He is seen happily dancing at the end of the film, much to Kai's bewilderment.
- Papa Wolf: He really loves his son.
- So Proud of You: Says this to Kai at the end of the movie. He also says that his mother would be proud too.
The chief of Zambezia.
The adopted daughter of Sekhuru and Kai's love interest.
- Action Girl: While she doesn't want to admit it to Kai or her father at first, she secretly wants to join the hurricanes.
- Action Girlfriend
- Deadpan Snarker
- Happily Adopted: She is perfectly happy in the care of Sekhuru.
- Parental Abandonment: It is unclear what happened to her biological parents, but it's heavily implied that Budzo killed them.
- Official Couple: With Kai at the end of the movie.
Zambezia's resident poster bird.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Insistent Terminology: He tells Kai that he says "Amazing" differently in Zambezia ("Am-ah-zing" instead of "Am-ay-zing").
- Lazy Bum
- Lovable Coward
- Nice Guy: He may be a bit of a slacker, but he's a nice guy and a loyal friend.
- Plucky Comic Relief
- The Slacker: He was meant to put up the posters for the Hurricanes' air show, but he was a bit too lazy to do it until the day of the show!
The commanding officer of the Hurricanes.
A Marabou Stork who is forced to help Budzo get to Zambezia after his brother's death.
- Evil Brit: This is to be expected from Richard E. Grant. However, he drops the evil part once Budzo betrays him.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He's rather unnerved by Budzo, who he serves more out of fear than genuine loyalty.
- HeelFace Turn: Has one of these once Budzo betrays him and the other Marabous.
- Minion with an F in Evil: The only really evil thing he does is assist in the kidnapping of the Weavers.
- My Sibling Will Live Through Me: His brother, Cyril, dies at the beginning of the movie.
- The Atoner: He gets the other Marabous to take down the bridge that Budzo had the Weavers make so he and his fellow monitors could enter Zambezia."We abridged it, we can unabridge it!"
An evil lizard who plans to eat all the eggs in Zambezia.
- Ax-Crazy: He's rather sadistic and unhinged.
- Big Bad
- Blood Knight: Really, really enjoys fighting.
- Card-Carrying Villain: When one of the Weavers calls him out for being a monster, he replies by saying "Thank you. One does what one can."
- Child Eater: He loves the taste of bird eggs, and his goal is to take over Zambezia so as to eat all of their eggs.
- Disney Villain Death: He almost took Zoe with him.
- Establishing Character Moment: His first scene shows him explaining his plot to the Marabous.
- Evil Laugh: Lets out a few of these throughout the movie.
- Evil Sounds Deep: His voice sounds like Dr. Robotnik with an African accent. Then again, evil usually sounds deep when voiced by Jim Cummings.
- Faux Affably Evil: He can act polite and charming when he wants to, but make no mistake, he's a truly sadistic monster.
- Hero Killer: He killed Kai's mother, one of the founders of the Hurricanes.
- Horror Hunger
- Knight of Cerebus: Every time he appears on screen, all comedy instantly disappears.
- Manipulative Bastard: Manipulates the marabous into helping him, by preying on their insecurities and desires.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: He's the only major character in the movie who isn't a bird.
- Slasher Smile: He sports one of these throughout the movie. The only time he loses it is during his Disney Villain Death.
- Taking You with Me: As he's falling to his death, Zoe gets her foot caught in the net and is almost pulled down with him. Luckily, Kai saves her.
- Would Hurt a Child: He is perfectly willing to eat several birds' eggs just to feed himself.