Spoiler warning. This story assumes that the reader is familiar with the canonical plots of the main games, so spoilers for those will be unmarked. The fates of the characters in the stories themselves will also be unmarked. You have been warned.
See here for the canonical cast pages and tropes therein.
The group that has been combating Despair and observing the Killing Game. Known non-Despair members include Kazuo Tengan (now deceased), Kyosuke Munakata, Juzo Sakakura, The Great Gozu, Daisaku Bandai (now deceased), Miaya Gekkogahara (now deceased), Koichi Kizakura and Souma Koukai.
Ultmate Student Council President
Graduate of Hope's Peak Class 74 and the second in command of Future Foundation (though in practice, its actual leader). A driven and uncompromising man, he is dead set on eradicating all traces of Despair, no matter the cost. Was romantically involved with Chisa Yukizome. He did not take learning her status as The Mole well.
Currently on the run after being deposed from Future Foundation leadership due to his zealotry.
- Eye Scream: Gets an eye clawed out by a Monokuma in chapter 104.
- Kill 'Em All: Chapter 89 shows Munakata still has this mindset, being willing not only to kill the Despairs (even knowing they're just Brainwashed and Crazy and that Ryota could and previously had made a cure for that), but also anyone who's been exposed to the despair brainwashing video (including classes 77-B and 78, who were brainwashed then cured previously) to eliminate despair entirely. Kizakura calls him on this. In Chapter 113, he has his army of Foundation soldiers surround the recently-escaped survivors, intending to kill all of them (and Juzo) so they won't be able to potentially spread despair. He kills Ryoko successfully, but then all of his men turn on him when he instructs them to shoot the rest. He is then knocked out by Juzo and arrested.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Wants to save the world from despair. Doesn't believe that can be done without killing everyone who has fallen to despair, even those brainwashed into it against their will. That this approach would be more likely to spread despair to others ( like those whose loved ones would be unnecessarily killed) is lost on him. He kills Ryota to ensure that he isn't used to make anymore brainwashing videos. He is last seen in the epilogue escaping prison and going on the run, intending to spread his murderous brand of Hope.
A talent scout for Hope's Peak, currently one of the heads of the Future Foundation (branch 3). Serves as a liason to the escaped hostages.
Becomes the head of Future Foundation after the Hope's Peak Killing Game.
- Big Damn Heroes: At the end, just as Juzo knocks Kyosuke out.
- The Hero: For the Towa City arc, arguably. Definitely more than Munakata.
- The Leader: Becomes head of Future Foundation in the epilogue, with Makoto as his second in command and successor.
The official leader of the Future Foundation. Dies at the end of the Towa City arc.
- Adaptational Heroism: Doesn't show interest in using the Hope video to force Hope on the people of the world.
- Taking You with Me: Mortally wounds Sonosuke before succumbing to his wounds.
One of the heads of Future Foundation (branch 6), Graduate of Hope's Peak Class 74 and Munakata's right hand man. Until the epilogue, at least.
- Morality Pet: Tries to be this for Munakata as things progress. The most it gets him is not being killed when Munakata breaks out of confinement.
- Straight Gay: Why he's so loyal to Kyosuke.
Hope's Peak Academy Class 69 graduate and head of branch 12. Unofficial(?) bodyguard to Tengen. One of the only named branch heads to survive the story.
- The Big Guy: Serves as this for Future Foundation as their biggest fighter.
- Gentle Giant: A large man, and a nice one.
The wheelchair-bound head of Future Foundation branch 7.
Killed shortly after releasing the Hope Video in chapter 104.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: At least she was onscreen alive here.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Narrative-wise, she's killed right after announcing her part in Towa City's liberation (releasing the Hope video) had been done.
Graduate of Hope's Peak Class 66 and head of the Future Foundation Branch 11, which manages food distribution. Has a really out of place voice. Dies during the liberation of Towa City.
An investigator for Future Foundation's Sixth Branch, and secretly the Serial-Killer Killer known only as Killer Killer. After his identity is discovered, he's made to join the Foundation's assault on Towa City. He leaves to hunt down the remaining Despaired clone in the epilogue.
- Mercy Kill: Gives one to Matsuda after finding him in chapter 104.
Ultimate Public Speaker
A graduate of Hope's Peak and Branch Head of information and public relations. He's kept tabs on certain graduates in hopes of recruiting them to the Foundation and is currently investigating Penjar.
For his tropes see the Mists of Penjar folder.
The Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy
The self-proclaimed headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy. He's very eager to see society's biggest hopefuls start killing each other, so he heaps psychological torture on the students at every turn. Shows up in a few other games afterwards.
- Big Bad: The face of the Masterminds in the Killing Games.
- I See Dead People: He and Makoto are the only ones in Hope's Peak who can see Sayaka's ghost. Then the Mastermind of that game is revealed in Chapter 111...
- Pride: Doesn't take kindly to being called a Coward by the students.
- Sadist: Gets off on causing others despair (possibly literally).
The only one of the Despaired clones of dead students to survive the destruction of Hope's Peak, his empty pod was found months later amidst the rubble. He is currently at Kuma-Kuma Land.
- Blue and Orange Morality: To the degree of Canon!Nagito circa Ultra Despair Girls, as evidenced by his willingness to kill others in the name of 'hope' and 'despair'.
- Evil Twin: Of Nagito Komaeda.
- Healing Factor: Presumably has one, as a clone.
- Secretly Dying: Well, his original had terminal brain cancer, and the Healing Factor of his clone body speeds up the growth of cancer, so...
Students who were being scouted as potential members of Class 81. Captured by the Despairs for a killing game. This could've been class of 81-A has ended up at an amusement park.
- Dwindling Party: Besides the usual. The game initially starts with one hundred students (of varying ages if Annabelle is any indication) in a roller coaster. By the end of the ride, only the following twenty are still alive, and four of them nearly fell off themselves.
- Multinational Team: Not to the same extent as Class 80-B, but half of the cast are non-Japanese, ranging from American to French to Korean.
Ultimate Punk Rock Musician
A Japanese/German man with an energetic disposition (and a dirty mouth). Was seated next to Kaizoku on the ride.
He escaped alive.
- Anything That Moves: Claims that he likes guys and girls, and probably anything in-between. Ends up dating on of each.
- Delinquent Hair: An outrageous punk style befitting an Ultimate Punk Rocker.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Has trouble focusing when a topless Shiho runs by.
- One True Threesome: With Kaizoku and Shiho.
- Ship Tease: Has a few moments with Kanade that come to an end when he finds her dead body.
- Sir Swearsalot: Not to excessively but he definitely seems to lack a filter.
- The Fool: He is relatively undeterred by the threat of the killing game or the rollercoaster he awoke on. He also can't help but focus on his idea for a concert even after hearing about an attack in the funhouse.
- The Stoner: Implied, he's initially worried the game is a bad trip.
A Japanese man who also answers to 'Ultimate Pirate'. Was seated next to Naruhiko on the ride.
He escaped alive.
- Bi the Way: He claims a few of the boys and girls are attractive. He also says he's not upset with Seikatsu for accosting him. As well as seeming to have a crush on Naruhiko.
- Big Brother Instinct: Took very quickly to helping to look after and playing with Annabelle. He's also the first to speak up in her defense in the trial.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Accidentally killed his father in an attempt to impress him.
- Fingore: Is missing a finger on his right hand.
- It Runs in the Family: Well having a sea-based Ultimate talent does, no idea about personality traits. All of the known member's names contain the syllable Kai. Fittingly it means Sea or Ocean.
- Meaningful Name: "Kaizoku" means pirate and "Dokuro" means skull, fitting for his pirate motif and the skull-and-crossbones symbol for pirates, respectively.
- One True Threesome: With Naruhiko and Shiho.
- Scars Are Forever: Has a burn scar on his left arm, courtesy of the accident that got his father killed.
- Talk Like a Pirate: Regularly. He can drop it if he wants to, however.
- The Nicknamer: Seems to be part of the above trope.
Ultimate Parental Figure
A Japanese American with a calm and welcoming personality. Would prefer being called the ultimate Father figure. Was seated next to Dolly on the ride.
He escaped alive.
- Covered with Scars: Well his arms at least, but he hides them under his sleeves.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He was stalked by a girl with an obsessive crush on him, the end result leaving him with scars both mental and (as the above trope shows) physical. It's why he's cautious around certain physical contact, as Tiana discovers.
- Good Parents: He lives up to his title by being very comforting and advisory to the other students, even those older than him.
- Meaningful Name: Haruto's name means "spring" fitting for his warm and welcoming demeanor. It also sounds like the English word "heart", describing his big-hearted personality.
- Sensitive Guy: His Establishing Character Moment is offering Dolly a shoulder to cry on if needed, and trying to help her remain calm.
- Ship Tease: With Tiana while they keep watch over Anna.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Sky blue, befitting his calm demeanor.
Ultimate Hockey Star
An Irish-Canadian boy and older cousin of Mallory Walsh of Class 80-B* . Was sitting next to Chloe on the ride.
The culprit of the first trial.
- Blackmail: The reason why he was pressured to kill. After hearing about the death of his cousin Mallory, he didn't want to lose anyone else. When his little sister was being threatened, he acted.
- Canada, Eh?: Frequently says 'eh', as fitting the usual stereotype.
- Dark and Troubled Past: His father divorced and left the family, leaving him to take care of his younger sister Sarah.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Killed to protect his younger sister.
Ultimate Investigative Journalist
A Scotsman. Was sitting with Churi and Otto on the ride.
Is found dead shortly after the Spookyland District is unlocked.
- Bizarre Taste in Food: He enjoys hot sause combined with most things.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has his moments.
- Not So Stoic: Despite his claims of being a loner he has shown concern for others a few times.
- Only Sane Man: The first character to call out that they are in a similar situation to the Hope's Peak killing game.
- Ship Tease: Starts getting close to Tomoko of all people. They finally kiss right before he's attacked and killed.
Ultimate Paralympic Athlete
A Canadian of Japanese ancestry whose most noticeable physical features are his missing left leg and right arm. He's also a vegetarian. Was sitting next to Seikatsu in the opening ride.
He was Soo's killer on day eleven.
- An Arm and a Leg: Literally. He doesn't have an arm or a leg and doesn't use prosthetics, just a crutch.
- Disability Superpower: A more realistic example, but he has clearly trained to compensate for his handicap.
- I Am A Humanitarian: The accident that took his limbs also left him with his parents corpses for days on end. He made sure not to starve to death.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Apparently, for some reason that is unknown to him, his parents named him after Sigmund Freud.
- Promotion to Parent: He had to make the sacrifice to not get prosthetics so his sisters could get a good education.
- The Southpaw: Had to become this by necessity after losing his other hand.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Blood red. Hopefully, it isn't a sign to the usual tropes related to it.
Soo Yeong Moon
Ultimate Plastic Surgeon
A good looking South Korean man known as Dr. Miracle. Was on the same cart as Utano.
- Bishōnen: Has been described as "handsome" multiple times in the story. He used to be quite ugly.
- Peek-a-Bangs: They cover the right side of his face. And the scars there as well.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Seems to think this about himself. No longer a problem.
- Stalker with a Crush: Been the victim of this trope before through some rather unpleasant experiences with some persistent fans in his past.
A Japanese boy. Was seated with Soo Yeong Moon on the roller coaster, who saved him at the last second from ejection. He reads a little too much into the gesture.
He's found with his neck broken on day ten.
- Abusive Parents: His father. Utano's preferences would just be another excuse for the man to hit him.
- Ambiguously Gay: Was blushing at how close he ended up next to the 'breathtaking' plastic surgeon. Later confirmed to like him. Too much, actually.
- Meaningful Name: His full name translates to "I will write songs".
- Stalker with a Crush: Utano spent several days during the time skip following Soo Yeong everywhere, and left him a love poem to find.
- Yandere: He is convinced that Soo Yeong will return his feelings. And he threatens to kill Churi when she makes the suggestion that he should consider giving Soo Yeong more space. He claimed that he was just joking. It's later confirmed in the discord that he takes medication for this, but has been denied any in the park. Ultimately, he kills Churi for 'getting in his way'.
Otto Von Skylar
Ultimate Racecar Driver
A German boy and heir of the Skylar Motor Company. A rather arrogant fellow with some anger issues and a foul mouth. Was sitting with Lachlan and Churi on the roller coaster.
Is, somewhat surprisingly, the first victim of the killing game.
- Agent Scully: Initially thinks the whole thing's a stunt, as clearly he's too important as a potential ransom hostage to be used in a Killing Game. Later admits he even thought the previous killing game broadcasts were just a hoax to grab ratings.
- Asshole Victim: Attempted to kill Patrick, before he got killed himself.
- Expy: Seems like one for Byakuya Togami.
- Railing Kill: Thrown off a balcony.
- Token Evil Teammate: For the first day. He actually attempts a murder to keep a secret from ruining his family.
Sir Laris Nevermind
A half-Japanese knight from Sonia's homeland of Novoselic, clad entirely in silver armor. The surname suggests some relation to the royal family (though the knight doesn't want to talk about it). Was sitting in the back of the opening ride. Is actually a woman.
Is actually the second mole and the fifth culprit.
- Abusive Parent: Abandoned by their mother after her ambitions were fulfilled.
- Boobs of Steel: Fitting for the ultimate knight.
- Expy: Kinda one to Jon Snow, at least initially.
- Heroic Bastard: Is the illegitimate half-sister of Sonia Nevermind and Kirumi Tojo, having been produced by an affair between The King and Kirumi's ambitious mother.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Engages in this a bit concerning the past.
- Knight in Shining Armor: She fits this trope both literally and in temperament.
- The Lost Lenore: Becomes this to Chloe.
- My Greatest Failure: The inability to help Novoselic following the Tragedy, or help Princess Sonia. It's later revealed that she abandoned the kingdom at the king's order. She froze and failed to do her duty to stop a mob of despairing citizens attacking Novaselic.
- The Southpaw: Wields a sword with the left hand.
- Straight Gay: As her kiss with Chloe seems to indicate.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Is actually a woman, which gets revealed in the second case.
- Undying Loyalty: To Sonia. A Deconstruction as Sonia being brought back to life was Laris' motivation to become The Mole and ultimately kill Lachlan.
Ultimate Forensic Investigator
A nine-year-old girl from the USA. Somehow was being scouted despite her young age. Was on the ride with Tiana who saved her from falling off in the first section of chapter one.
She escaped alive.
- Adorably Precocious Child: Fits this trope through her actions and mannerisms.
- And Now For Something Completely Different: That's not a typo, she's really only nine! And yet somehow was being considered for a high school already.
- Break the Cutie: Since she's a child, the Killing Game is definitely going to take a toll on her young innocence.
- Brutal Honesty: Says what she thinks, even when it's asking (in front of several others) how Shiho runs with her large boobs.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Subverted. She puts on her goggles when on a case. They also have thermal vision.
- Has Two Mommies: Has mentioned her moms a couple of times.
- Nice Girl: Quick to defend Tiana when someone insults her talent.
- Token Mini-Moe: Obviously, the youngest member of the group.
An attractive young American woman with an odd talent. Was on the ride with Annabelle (whom she was quick to start calling Anna).
She escaped alive.
- Dressed Like a Dominatrix: Mostly averted. Instead of the attire this trope lists, Tiana wears a white off-the-shoulder shirt, a purple skirt, and white heels. The only part of her attire that fits the trope is the whip she carries.
- Establishing Character Moment: Is kind and non-condescending to the nine year old Annabelle, and is quick to save her when she gets ejected from her seat.
- Nice Girl: Is quick to reassure Annabelle that things will be fine in the first chapter, and keep her secure on the roller coaster.
- Official Couple: With Haruto.
- Ship Tease: With Haruto given their mutual protectiveness of Annabelle. Later admits she's falling for him.
- Unexpected Virgin: Happens to be one, despite her profession.
- Whip It Good: Has a whip.
A young Japanese girl with a musical skill. Was sitting next to Laris in the back of the ride.
Is tragically killed during the paintball game.
- A Tragic Mistake: Her horrific death was a genuine accident, brought about by sheer bad luck.
- Expy: Seems similar to Mikan Tsumiki in terms of personality and shyness (less stuttering, though).
- Pen Name: She composes all her songs under the name Uguisu.
- Shrinking Violet: Seems to be one, mentioning she's not good at introductions and stammering at a couple of points.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Has a fear of heights. The roller coaster didn't help.
A young, energetic blind girl. Ended up next to Laris and Kanade after getting ejected from her seat.
She escaped alive.
- Buxom Is Better: She's very well endowed (very), which somehow doesn't affect her running. Anna is confused by this, and how she got them.
- Heroic BSoD: Has one briefly after discovering Otto's body.
- The Mole: An unwilling one.
- One True Threesome: With Kaizoku and Naruhiko, to her own surprise.
- Plucky Girl: She's surprisingly upbeat and optimistic for a blind girl in a Killing Game, as her above quote shows.
- Secret Keeper: Knows Laris is a woman.
- Unwitting Test Subject: She was experimented on her whole childhood by her father, the Ultimate Doctor.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Mentions she sometimes forgets to put a shirt on, which Naruhiko gets an eyeful of in chapter 17.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Lavender is linked to the characteristics of 'compassionate' and 'intuitive', matching Shiho's personality.
An American girl with a tendency to spout numbers in situations such as the opening chapter.
Is the accidental murderer of the second trial, and the first 'culprit' in the series to get away with it and leave.
- Affectionate Nickname: 'Mad Maths'.
- Alliterative Name: Madison Maddox.
- Character Tic: Uses mathematic terms frequently when speaking.
- Hiding the Handicap: Has Prosopagnosia, an inability to recognize faces (even her own). This is revealed in the first trial.
- Oh, Crap!: Has this moment when she discovers 1) they're on a Floating Island above the ocean, 2) the island will eventually stop floating and crash, and 3) how devastating the ensuing damage would be.
- Punny Name: 'Maddie Maddox'. Said fast enough it sounds like 'mathematics'.
Ultimate Fashion Designer / Ultimate Femme Fatale
A French girl. Seems rather calm with her current circumstances. Was sitting next to Patrick and ended up sitting in his lap after all the seats but his were ejected from their car.
She escaped alive.
- Action Girl: Is rather athletic. Theres a reason for that.
- She's able to escape from her roller coaster seat before it's ejected and move to another seat in seconds, all while the ride is still in motion. Later makes a ten-foot leap from one balcony to another and back again without hesitation.
- She's also the one who puts Otto in his place when he threatens Dolly/Becky.
- When Despair!Nagito tries to kill Annabelle, she quickly disarms him and throws him through a mirror.
- Ambiguously Gay: The only ones she's shown much positive emotion to so far are the other girls. That, and she frequently flirts with or teases them.
- Animal Motif: Seems to be butterflies, like the earrings she wears.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Seikatsu's cards have hinted that she has many dead people in her past, and a secret she's hiding. It seems tied to a group with similar skills in Paris, marked by a butterfly symbol. It's later revealed she's actually got the second talent of Ultimate Femme Fatale, and is part of the Free Butterflies, an assassin group that's been active since The French Revolution.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Fits the description, though she's actually quite nice.
- Gratuitous French: Slips into this when grieving 'Lari's' death.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Very feminine, ends up with Laris.
- Secret Keeper: Knows Laris is a woman.
- Self-Made Orphan: Killed her mother to avenge her father. It was only afterwards that she discovered her mother had been pregnant.
- The Tease: Seems to be one, a bit. Especially to other girls.
A young woman with a shifting disposition. Was seated near the back with Sigmund during the coaster.
She escaped alive, having fused all her personalities together.
- Apron Matron: The Empress seems to be a kindly version of this.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Her Devil arcana is this in strides, from accosting Kaizoku and hitting on Tiana.
- Love Confession: The Lovers personality gives one from out of nowhere towards Laris.
- Split Personality: Has one for each of the 21 cards in the Arcana, apparently.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: The Death arcana is a quiet, hollow-staring personality who easily lifts Tomoko by the neck and nearly killed her. It was the first personality that manifested, with all others being created as an attempt to keep it sealed.
- Token Religious Teammate: Temperance is very believing in opening oneself to Jesus as a way to find peace and balance in life.
Tomoko Marple Gisei
Ultimate Shogi Player
A Japanese/British girl with a standoffish disposition and a drive to survive. Was sitting with Madison in the opening ride.
She escaped alive.
- Ambiguously Evil: Gives off this vibe at times.
- Expy: Of Maki, in terms of being a non-evil (so far) standoffish girl.
- First Kiss: With Lachlan, surprisingly. He dies soon after.
- Not So Stoic: Has a temper, and is caught off-guard by Seikatsu's 'Death' persona. Comes off as The Stoic otherwise.
- Secret Keeper: Knows Laris is a woman, that Chloe is part of a mystery group in Paris, and that Seikatsu has a murderous personality in her.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Doesn't like working with the other students, but has to in the chess game.
- Trash Talk: Surprisingly engages in a hitherto uncharacteristic manner in the chess game against Yushikuma.
Ultimate Love Guru
A passionate and positive (not to mention tall) young woman. Was seated with Lachlan and Otto on the Despair Coaster.
She's found dead on day ten.
- The Matchmaker:
- Tries to talk to Tiana about her compatibility with Haruto.
- Believes that finding the best match for Madison will help boost her confidence.
- Nice Girl: She makes multiple attempts to calm people down and is, seemingly, earnest about wanting others to find a partner to make them happy.
- Pink Is Feminine: Her pink hair is a good sign of her caring nature.
- Statuesque Stunner: One of the tallest girls in the group.
An American girl. Carries around an aggressive doll that looks like her named 'Becky'.
- The Cynic: Neither seems to think much of the world around them.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Was bullied pretty much constantly as a child, and nearly killed a kid who tried to break Becky.
- Jerkass: Becky spends most of her time being rude to others, even 'Dolls' at points. Probably because she's running on Junko AI.
- Meaningful Name: Her name sounds like the word "doll", and her character is mainly attributed towards her ventriloquist doll, Becky.
- Misanthrope Supreme: Thinks people are generally cruel, though not usually to killing game standards. It's because of this she wants to turn the world's population into kuma dolls.
- Shrinking Violet: Dolly is very much this. Becky very much isn't. Real Dolly is a subversion.
- Split Personality: Becky doesn't seem to just be an act. And Dolly outright collapses like a limp puppet when separated from her. Might be subverted though.
The LosersThe other 80 potentials who were on the roller coaster at the start of the story. They didn't live long enough to reach the park.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: They die in the first chapter. At best, some of them get lines of dialogue and a mentioned gender beforehand. Their hearts were used to create the gray kumas running the park.
The KumasThe bears that run the districts of the park. Aside from the first two, they're all controlled by the Warriors of Hope.
All are wiped out by the end of the game.
- Big-Bad Ensemble: The ones running the park's killing game.
- Brain Uploading: Well, heart uploading, apparently, but apparently the Warrior's of Hope transferred themselves into the kumas.
The owner of the park, directly managing the Amusement Park District. A foul-mouthed black bear with a gangster theme. Is run by a Junko AI, going by canon.
Killed during Laris' death game.
- It Amused Me: Says he's doing the Killing Game to avoid boredom. It might be a hint towards who is controlling him.
- Meaningful Name: 'Kurokuma' translates to 'black bear', like canon.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Has a potty mouth on him, and isn't shy about using it.
The white bear running the park's Resort District. Has a nicer disposition than his older brother. Also run by a Junko AI.
Decapitated by Laris.
- Meaningful Name: 'Shirokuma' translates to 'white bear', like canon.
- Token Good Teammate: Of the Kumas. Knowing canon, probably not.
The red bear running the Carnival District. Determined to keep anyone 18 or older out of his area on the threat of lion (named Simba, whom he can't actually control). Controlled by Masaru of the Warriors of Hope.
Destroyed during the Chess Death Game, which apparently also killed his controller.
- Dumb Jock: Not particularly bright, which screws him over in the chess game.
- The Leader: Self-proclaimed one for the Kuma Gang running the park. In reality, this is unlikely. Just like in canon.
- Meaningful Name: 'Yushikuma' translates to 'brave warrior bear'.
The blue bear running the Waterworld District. A no-nonsense bear with cat ears and a surfboard, he makes it clear he's no lifeguard. Controlled by Nagisa of the Warriors of Hope.
Is deactivated and falls of the island in the final trial.
- The Cynic: Doesn't think much of life, especially adults.
- Meaningful Name: 'Mizukuma' translates to 'water bear'.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Seems to think this when trying to explain safety regulations to Seikatsu, Dolly/Becky, and Shiho, only for them all to ignore him and act dangerously on the rides.
The bear running Spookyland District. He's dressed in a Grim Reaper outfit and fails to actually be spooky. Controlled by Jataro of the Warriors of Hope.
Is deactivated and falls of the island in the final trial.
- Meaningful Name: 'Sashikuma' translates to 'ritual bear'.
- Sinister Scythe: Wields one as part of his Grim Reaper costume.
The final bear, running both Tech Land and the Killing Game after the fifth Trial. She is a green bear upon a floating disk. She is controlled by Monaca Towa.
She is decapitated in the final chapter, having outlasted the real Mastermind and the other Warriors of Hope.
- Big Bad: Probably become this (and likely was always this). Except actually not, surprisingly. It's complicated.
- Final Boss: What she still manages to become, fighting Chloe and Seikatsu in the final chapter.
- Meaningful Name: 'Meijikuma' translates to 'magic bear'.
- Off with Her Head!: Is decapitated at the end.
The IntruderThe white-haired young man who has somehow infiltrated the park without the Kumas notice. Not on the side of the students. See the final section of the 'Others' folder for more details.
Abruptly killed (with heart removal) shortly after the second trial.
A crazy-eyed bear operating a park in Waterworld. Is actually the intruder following his heart (and with it, soul) being transferred into a kuma.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Leaves shortly after being introduced, having gotten what he wanted.
A handful of students from the Class 81 potentials. Currently trapped in a train in the Grim Up North of Siberia and Russia.
- I Am A Humanitarian: They were all tricked into eating parts of the dead after the first trial, leading to one becoming a Wendigo. Might have been removed in the final version though.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: The final investigation exposes Makoto's clone status and Mukuro's past to the outside world, causing the public to lose faith in Future Foundation, riot in Tokyo, and possibly start up a new Tragedy.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Technically; the train is on a time limit. In one week's time, it will crash, killing everyone who is still on board.
Ultimate Soccer Player
Portrayed by Birb
A Japanese boy. Has a mechanical leg.
He escapes alive.
- Adorkable: Compared to his peers, he's especially dorky.
- An Arm and a Leg: Seems to be missing his left leg, although he compensates with a robotic prosthetic. He claims he got it from aliens. It's later revealed that he lost his family, and leg, in a car crash when he was young, leaving his chest horribly scarred as well as giving him PTSD.
- Bi the Way: Admits to this to Emizel on the first day. Later he gets into a relationship with him.
- Break the Cutie: Several times throughout the game his PTSD is triggered, sending him through panic attacks and mental breakdowns. The worst ones are after seeing Angie's execution and after discovering the truth about his past.
- Butt-Monkey: His attempts to break open a wooden cabinet with a fire axe end in it harmlessly bouncing off and smacking him across the room, knocking him unconscious and later on Emziel uses him as a training dummy.
- Cyborg: Has a robotic leg.
- Expy: His creator claims he's somewhat one of Yosuke Hanamura from Persona 4.
- Precision F-Strike Drops one after discovering Ultimate Despair was responsible for the crash that took his leg and family, but also that his sister may not have been killed..
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Is afraid of fire and hospitals. This is due to PTSD over having survived a car crash, needing his leg amputated and leaving his chest horribly burned and scarred. Later, he has a breakdown when the latter (Being moved to the Infirmary) is mentioned while seeing the former (footage of Angie's execution).
Ultimate Shaolin Monk
Portrayed by Magus1108
An albino Chinese girl. She has an eyepatch where her left eye used to be.
Actually manages to escape the train early without killing anyone.
- All Amazons Want Hercules: She is initially attracted to Tonbe because he's physically fit and able to match her in sparring. Even more so when he is able to stand against The Raging Dragon.
- Berserk Button: Bringing up the destruction of her temple can lead to the Raging Dragon to being released.
- Challenge Seeker: Is very interested in finding people who appear strong enough to present a challenge to her.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Was declared an enemy of the state and had her home monetary destroyed. After going on the run was constantly attacked by soldiers, death squads and even citizens. She killed countless people because of the 'Raging Dragon'. After arriving in Japan she attempts life as a pacifist and learning to control the dragon.
- Rage Breaking Point: The Raging Dragon is something Yumei constantly tries to keep in check. She is even willing to try and kill Tonbe, whom she had come to truly care for.
- Ship Tease: Sleeps with Tonbe. Is devastated when he dies (for her sake), possibly leaving her pregnant.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Uses her short stature and rodes to hide her very muscular body.
- The Exile: Was sent into exile by the Chinese Communist Party and forced to abandon her temple.
Portrayed by PettyPunk
A boy from Barbados. Has a mohawk.
The culprit of the second case, albeit a sympathetic one. Also the last death of the game proper.
- Adorkable: His stuttering and social awkwardness mix well with his kind-hearted nature.
- Cannot Talk to Women: He stutters when talking to girls. He can still carry on conversations at least, just easily flustered.
- Dying Declaration of Love: Gives one to Yumei with his dying breath, before being swallowed up by magma.
- Face Death with Dignity: As he's executed, to The Conductor's displeasure.
- Gentle Giant: The largest member of the group? Check. Has a heart of gold? Check. Fighting a monster to save his Love Interest? Check!
- Hunk: Extremely tall, muscular and only wearing a vest as a top.
- Ship Tease: Strikes up a romance with Yumei. He fights a Wendigo to protect her, becoming a blackened in the process.
- Staring Down Cthulhu: For a guy who seems quite timid and fearful, when confronted with the Raging Dragon he stands his ground and is even able to hold his own for a good amount of the fight. Then he fights a Wendigo and kills it.
- Sympathetic Murderer: His whole motivation was saving his Love Interest from the train.
- Thanatos Gambit: His plan to save Yumei also puts the number of survivors low enough that the remaining three get to skip right to the end game trial. So he is the last death of the Railway of Despair.
- The Giant: He's nearly a foot taller and 55 pounds heavier than the next closest characters.
- What You Are in the Dark: After killing Sarah, Tonbe is approached by Akakuma about hiding his crime. He responds by saying his only interest is in saving Yumei and saying he will. Even after being strong armed into playing along, Tonbe still chooses to sacrifice himself to save the rest of the participants.
Ultimate Game Designer
Portrayed by Solrac XD
A Japanese girl. Knows games.
The killer of the first case.
- Fatal Flaw: A severe dislike of cold. When the first motive involves progressively lowering the temperature, she ultimately kills to make it stop.
- The Gad Fly: Delights in provoking others and making them uncomfortable with her quips and inquiries.
- It Amused Me: Seems to be her modus operandi, and thus she takes the killing game in stride as a result.
- Odd Friendship: Through their constant back-and-forth snarking, she develops a genuine friendship with the aloof Adohira.
- Shout-Out: Her last name, ethnicity, and talent are all one to the man who created Danganronpa to begin with.
Ultimate Wizard (Ultimate Marionettist)
Portrayed by Trust Me
A Japanese boy with a blue wizard hat and a large metal briefcase. He initially presents himself as the Ultimate Wizard, but upon Akazukin's reveal, reintroduces himself as the Ultimate Marionettist.
They escape alive but get stuck in the desert killing game.
- Companion Cube: He never goes anywhere without his briefcase and treats it with a unusual amount of tenderness. Later on, it is revealed that it houses his beloved porcelain doll, Akazukin.
- Deadpan Snarker: A sarcastic and fairly bitter one. This trait of his gradually begins to tone down after the first trial.
- Determined Defeatist: Is quite certain that they won't all survive the Railway of Despair, but is paradoxically determined to do whatever he can to keep them all alive, regardless.*
- Does Not Like Spam: Although he claims to not be a vegetarian per se, he's mentioned that "meat doesn't agree with [his] palate" and has avoided eating meat on every occasion. This helps him dodge a bullet in the original story when the passengers are served sandwiches made with the tainted flesh of Kazuko and Eline.
- Important Haircut: After the first trial, he trims down his prickly "emo bangs".
- Marionette Master: Has mentioned "implanting blades and violence... into [Akazukin's] hollow body," and is capable of moving Akazukin with an incredible degree of control.
- Nice Hat: Before he gifted Kazuko with it during her final moments, he used to always be seen wearing his wizard hat.
- Off the Rails: Reveals after the second trial that he has two of the three tickets needed to escape. He proposes someone surrender their ticket (dying in the process) while the one remaining person leaves as the default winner. No one takes the offer, but the lack of other participants means they move into the final investigation/trial phase immediately.
- Obvious Rule Patch: Has his "sleepover party" plan struck down by one, when the Kumas add a new temporary rule that prevents the passengers from sleeping together in the same room.
- Self-Surgery: One of his first acts on the train is to sew his ticket into the flesh of his arm. Later on, he does the same onto his chest with Kazuko's ticket. There's a reason why one of the bottles of alcohol in the kitchen is half empty.
- Sour Supporter: He started off as rather aloof and belligerent, but after the first trial, begins to make an effort to work with the others as a team. Funnily enough, he's even the one to suggest having a "sleepover... party?" when it seems like the Kumas are plotting to divide them.
- Thinking Out Loud: Does this frequently, whether he's alone or in the company of others. He also often uses the pronoun "we" when talking to himself, and it eventually becomes clear that he's one-sidedly conversing with the doll inside his briefcase.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Comes up with a solution to get two of the three survivors post-second trial off the train, at the cost of the life of the third. No one goes along with it.
Adohira's marionette. Is utterly devoted to her master.
Survives the train game with him, but ends up stuck in a desert as well.
- Covert Pervert: Beneath her elegant and courteous demeanor, Akazukin often finds herself distracted by fantasies of Adohira. She acts embarrassed whenever the word "maintenance" is brought up, but she takes great pleasure in the act. Adohira himself is unamused by all this.
- Naughty by Night: On Christmas Eve, Akazukin tied herself up with red ribbons and offered herself as a "present" to Adohira. Nothing more needs to be said.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Akazukin's single-minded devotion for her master thoroughly dominates her thoughts, and she depends on Adohira's love for her continued existence. Her love for him is well beyond "obsessive" in nature.
Portrayed by ThePLOThand
A Dutch Transwoman who sells drugs and other illegally-acquired goods. Was supposed to be reformed into an Ultimate Saleswoman.
Is the first to die on the train.
- Ambiguously Gay: The only indication to her orientation In-Universe is her offering 'Dyke' as an alternative Insult during the RP. It was later confirmed on the Discord server by Word of Saint Paul. Though she does inform Axel he is 'barking up the wrong tree', when he seems smitten with her and makes some suggestive comments towars Sarah, in the actual fic.
- The Aggressive Drug Dealer: Averted Trope ; apart from the fact that she is reforming, she is much more of a jokester than anything.
- Coat Full of Contraband: A Variation, it's a jacket rather than a trenchcoat and the bio doesn't specify what 'goods' it contains.
- Drugs Are Bad: Wonders if Sarah really needs any when asked for it.
- The Nicknamer: Captain Axel for Axel Ueda, considers Grandmaster one for Emizel.
- Reformed Criminal: As stated above, she was intended to be this.
- Skirt over Slacks: Wears a brown skirt over Grey Jeans.
- Sobriquet Sex Switch: Her original name was Elias.
- Transgender: Revealed as such by the bio.
- Wrong Insult Offence: Is more concerned that 'Drug Tranny' doesn't sound funny and even offers 'Drug Dyke' as an alternative.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Neon and light green, though one of them is through dyeing. It's the light green one.
Portrayed by JCW18
A Japanese boy who turned sixteen on the fourth day of the Railway of Despair. Cousin to a certain animal breeder.
He escapes alive alongside his rabbit Lucky.
- Badass Adorable: He tries to be perceived as a tough and strong warrior, but he's just too small and cute...
- Character Development: Undergoes this not long after the killing game starts. He learns very quickly that he is not as great and tough as he sees himself to be, and along with his growing affection for Axel, adopts a more mature attitude.
- Dark and Troubled Past: After Gundham departed for Hope's Peak, Emizel was forced to live on the streets before being abducted and used as a sex slave for several years. He eventually managed to escape after developing fire magic, and began hunting down and killing those who had used him. It is later revealed during the final investigation that Ultimate Despair was responsible.
- Expy: Is a light fusion of both Laharl and Emizel from the Disgaea series.
- Locked Out of the Loop: He seems unaware of the previous killing games. He's devastated to hear that his relative Gundham was a victim of the first one years ago.
- Passing the Torch: Before the last trial he goes to Tonbe's room and gives a bit of a speech to his dead 'Big Bro'. He asks for his help and a presence in the room uses one of the boy's old bandanas to comfort him. Emizel takes it as a sign that he has Tonbe watching over him and promises to finish the larger boy's plan to end the game.
- Straight Gay: Hints this to Axel during the first day. He later gets into a relationship with him.
- Transhumanism: Is turned into a monster in the updated version of the story, complete with bat wings.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: He only wears a scarf to cover his upper body. Averted, as Emizel begins wearing a shirt after the second trial.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Blue hair with a small cowlick on the top.
Ultimate Graffiti Artist
Portrayed by Sootythunder
An American girl. Kinda paranoid.
The second victim.
- A-Cup Angst: Is flat-chested, to her annoyance.
- Sinister Shiv: Upon waking up in an unfamiliar room littered with rubble, one of her first reactions is to fashion a shiv out of glass. She claims it's for self-defense.
- Street Smart: Her urban talent combined with her fairly abrasive, no-nonsense attitude has her coming across as this. Furthermore, her improvisations with both the shiv and the Russian military outfit showcase her practical nature.
- Wendigo: Is forcefully turned into one before dying.
Akakuma, The Conductor
The one running the killing game. Wears a diaper, for some reason. Is actually Jun Enoshima.
Leaves the train for parts unknown at the end.
- Meaningful Name: His name translates to 'baby bear'. Fitting, given the diaper.
Sabankuma, The Caretaker
The one who looks after the passenger's daily needs. A major Jerkass. Is actually Junko Enoshima.
Leaves the train for parts unknown at the end.
- Meaningful Name: His name translates to 'servant-bear'.
- The Nicknamer: Comes up with incredibly offensive ones for all of the passengers.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Makes assorted racist, homophobic, and generally insulting comments pretty much constantly. Considering who's controlling him, it actually sort of fits in a 'get a rise out of them' kinda way.
Hoshukuma, The Mechanic
The one who maintains the train. Slightly less annoying compared to Saban. Is actually Despair!Makoto.
Leaves the train for parts unknown at the end.
- Meaningful Name: His name translates to 'maintenance-bear'.
A group of young adults being considered for Hope's Peak Academy's 81st Class. Currently trapped in an underground prison.
Ultimate Shrine Maiden
Frieda Renner (AKA The Mistress of Berlin)
Ultimate Dungeon Master
Ultimate Street Vendor
Thalia 'Tally' Angelos
Ultimate Wax Sculptor
Ultimate Internet Star
Ultimate Synchronized Swimmer Lead
A nervous young woman who refuses to interact with anyone.
Ultimate Gothic Enthusiast
Ultimate Data Compiler
Magnus "Thor" Hansen
The warden of the school.
- Meaningful Name: 'Kagekuma' translates to 'Shadow bear'.
28 Graduates of Hope's Peak Academy who have come to the deserted Japanese town in the hopes of finding the possible origin of Despair, and its spread from the Tragedy. They get caught up in a Killing Game, though stay despite not being held against their will in their determination to get answers.
- Everyone Went to School Together: They all graduated Hope's Peak Academy some time before the Tragedy hit in late 2016, and some of them were in the same classes or years together. However, they didn't all necessarily know each other at school, even if they'd been in the same year.
Ultimate ReporterA French man who is engaged to Hara Pathik and made an appearance in the final chapter of Sea of Tranquility. He is a dedicated and determined truth-seeker with hints of a scarred past. He was classmates with Hara and Saiko, and is engaged to the former.
- Amateur Sleuth: His career is to report the truth, but he's all about finding it.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Isaac pieces together the answer to the most complicated problems, even ones without evidence to guide him.
- Determinator: During trials and mysteries, he showcases a fierceness to discover the truth.
- Mysterious Past: Something has happened to Isaac in the past, he doesn't react well to the deaths.
- Official Couple: Engaged to Hara.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Minty Green Hair.
Ultimate (Male) ArtistA Korean man who is the older brother of Jin Nahm. He has a very calm air about him, a gentleman artist.
- Affably Evil: Though he is a serial killer, he's very polite and very friendly.
- Affectionate Nickname: Yejoon calls Fiora "little flower," which actually is what her name means; he also calls her other affectionate names that she doesn't really appreciate, but he carries on.
- Animal Motifs: Calls himself Yeou the Fox.
- Cool Mask: Wears a Fox mask.
- Dissonant Serenity: From the norm to the extreme, including trials and deaths, nothing phases this guy.
- Mad Artist: Shares this trait with his sister.
- Patricide: Yejoon and Jin killed their parents.
- Serial Killer: He has claimed to have killed nearly 200 people.
- Token Evil Teammate: Serves this function to the group.
Ultimate CartoonistAn American man who, at eighteen, is the youngest member of the group. Having graduated on a one-year art program with Hope's Peak, he is an avid drawer of those around him.
- Adorkable: Drake is shy around most, especially around girls, but he's compellingly cute.
- Awesome by Analysis: He can tell characteristics of people when watching them, and by sketching them.
- Chekhov's Skill: He is able to determine details with his drawing skills. His drawing skills soon come in handy in accusing Jin as the murderer.
- FanArt: In-Universe: He draws pictures of the other graduates.
- The Baby of the Bunch: Certainly seems to be a good example of this, given his age.
- Ship Tease: Likes Ignatia.
Ultimate DentistA petite Japanese man with an adorably feminine appearance, from his voice to his clothing. He is an avid advocate of hygiene. Classmates and friends with Souma.
- Devil's Advocate: He plays the part of one in trials, to ensure people can back up their arguments.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Girlish pigtails of lavender hair with flower hair bands, feminine face, feminine-styled clothing and shoes (and bikini), and constantly enjoying candy. It's highly misleading to everyone who doesn't know him.
- Literal-Minded: Doesn't seem to understand figures of speech. For example, when Blake called him "mate," he thought Blake meant that as in "copulation partner."
- Mysterious Past: It's mentioned that something happened with his rich family and his past.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Often (and with little warning) pries the others' mouths open for a checkup. He's already examined a great deal of the cast, some of which willingly did it as a favor exchange.
- Older Than They Look: He is twenty-seven years old and 4'6" tall, making him both the oldest and the shortest among the Graduates.
- Oral Fixation: He's constantly got a lollipop in his mouth.
- The Stoic: Whatever happens over the course of the story, he almost never raises his voice, nor does he react with any emotion other than deadpan.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Lavender Hair.
Ultimate Public SpeakerA Japanese human resources leader and member of Future Foundation. He has a strong mentality and attempts to help out the graduates where he can. Classmates and friends with Eisei.
- Aloof Big Brother: As an older member of the group, highly accomplished, and intelligent, he's the stoic elder of the bunch.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Has to be one as part of Future Foundation.
- Light Is Good: Wears a white suit and is a member of Future Foundation.
- Mysterious Past: It's mentioned that he had a very rich family, but it's left in mystery.
Ultimate Bounty Hunter/AssassinA quiet and analytical Japanese bounty hunter who is highly observational. He's quite serious and works hard to finding the truth.
- Badass Longcoat: Wears one as part of his usual attire.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite having a dark appearance and being a bounty hunter, he seems to be a fairly friendly and civil person. Even after being revealed as an assassin, he doesn't even think about harming the other graduates, except Yejoon, whom he threatens to kill.
- Hitman with a Heart: Is an assassin, but still a nice person.
- Nerves of Steel: He's a stoic who goes after dangerous targets.
- Professional Killer: As an assassin, he is this.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Subverted. Possibly played straight when doing assassin work.
Ultimate PyroA Japanese/Australian man with an incredible dedication to fire, specifically Greek fire. He has served jail time, and has a grim outlook.
- Abhorrent Admirer: To human!Monophanie, to everyone else's annoyance.
- Jerkass: When it seemed that Ignatia the mime was the accidental culprit of case 2, he was just relieved it wasn't anyone important.
- Never My Fault: Doesn't think he's fully at fault for causing a major fire in Melbourne (he set up the chemicals, some druggies accidentally set it off). Doesn't really care much either, as it helped him with his goals (some of which involved saving lives).
- Playing with Fire: He knows how to create special kinds of fire, including Greek fire.
- Pyro Maniac: It's unknown to most of them just how much of a "maniac" he is, but he does love fire.
Ultimate Clown/BaristaNoise follows the Japanese clown wherever he goes, a cacophony of jokes and gag props! He's rambunctious and wild, but there is a serious side to him.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Odelios is talkative, goofy, and carries outrageous props. He's even considered wild and outrageous scenarios, like gorgons and ifrits.
- Everything's Better with Chickens: He carries around a rubber chicken he calls Rubarrow (Rubber + Marrow).
- Nice Guy: He seems to be a genuinely nice guy so far.
- Super Empowering: Odelios is one of the four given a new talent: he now has the ability to make coffee, even though he's never done it before, although it's temporary.
- Talkative Loon: Loves to talk (or as some would say, he never shuts up) and engage in nonsensical theatrics.
- Trouser Space: There's no limit to his props inside of his clown clothes!
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Orange Hair.
Ultimate SwordsmanA strong Japanese man who has abandoned his talent due to past tragedy. Has odd tastes, and a history of interesting duels. Classmates and friends with Angelique.
- Dark and Troubled Past: After drinking with a group of other Graduates and crashing at a trailer park, Yitro had found that his brother Yone was killed with his own sword. Later, it was discovered that Yitro didn't kill Yone but he still feels guilty over his death that he vows that he won't ever unsheathe his sword again. H picks it up again after the second trial.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a long one across the bridge of his nose.
- Hunk: He's been described as handsome multiple times by the narration, as well as in-universe by others, especially Angelique (when she's trying to matchmake him).
- Platonic Life-Partners: Close friends with Angelique, who's not interested in men romantically.
- Shout-Out: There's a lot of references, including in his name to a certain game and character he's inspired by.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Platinum Hair.
Ultimate Magician/Clockwork MakerA Japanese/Spanish performer and prankster who is active and talkative. Carries around a thematic staff, and a bunch of other props.
- Bash Brothers: Odelios and Ishiku have quickly become a duo of comedic catastrophe!
- Face Doodling: He drew on Emanuel's face with a sharpie, along with Fiora.
- Keet: Apparently portrays a few of these traits.
- Meaningful Name: Ishiku translates into Mason, according to his creator on Discord.
- Nose Bleed: Got one from being punched by Emanuel.
- Super Empowering: Ishiku is one of the four given a new talent: he now has the ability to fix watches and clocks, which, like Odelios, couldn't do before, although it's temporary.
- What Have We Ear?: He pulled a chocolate coin out of Aka's ear, a popcorn packet out of Hikari's ear, a throw pillow out of Anzu's and a sharpie out of his own, which then disappears when he puts it back.
An American expert on business and trade, as well as a soldier with the American Army. He has a strong sense of responsibility, and a quick draw ability.
Is the killer of the second case.
- Ax-Crazy: After being outed as the culprit.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: He acts good to gain the others' trust, but is actually quite greedy and insane underneath as he worships Chaos.
- Greed: He is motivated by either Chaos, or the amount of money he can make.
- Hoistby His Own Petard: During his possible execution, Samson was given the choice of ignoring expensive items in exchange for a mechanical limb and his life. He couldn't do it, due to his Greed and hatred for rules. It costs him his life.
- Honor Before Reason: Samson is a soldier who is determined to find the answers in Penjar, regardless of the danger it puts him in. This is actually a lie, as he wants to profit from it by selling Despair as a weapon.
- Quick Draw: Is quite fast with his gun, and plugging Monokuma.
Ultimate MercenaryA very strong and serious Japanese free-lance mercenary. He has a grim determination, but has a tendency to follow rules, no matter how ridiculous.
- The Comically Serious: Follows Odelios' ridiculous orders while managing to remain completely serious.
- Face Death with Dignity: Despite being crippled and tortured, he ensures that Jin cannot hurt anyone else by forcing her to kill him, and gets the last word.
- Honor Before Reason: Averted, in that even though he'll follow ridiculous rules, he'll never do anything that'll harm him or others simply because he's ordered to.
- Hunk: He's very well-built, very muscular and as the description goes, he's rather easy on the eyes.
- Just Following Orders: Always does what he's told to do. Odelios takes advantage of this by suggesting he do small and entertaining things, like bellyflop into the pool or calling him "Mister Perky Nipples".
- Taken for Granite: How people thought he died. But he was actually stuffed with cotton and all of his innards were found in the Taxidermy shop.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has blue hair.
Ultimate CavalrymanA Novoselic warrior who is trained with numerous weapons and the art of war. He is a long way from home, but highly determined to find the truth to Despair.
- Alliterative Name: Ken Kishi.
- Clean Cut: He sliced Monokuma in half. It didn't stick, obviously.
- Culture Blind: Often says expressions incorrectly.That's it! That's our trinket to ride!
- Honor Before Reason: Ken wishes to find the answers, no matter what. He takes part in the second Motive so he can get an answer about Despair, even if it puts his life on the line.
- Tactical Withdrawal: When Novoselic was being overrun entirely by its Despair-ridden people during the Tragedy, he ran from the slaughter.
Ultimate Private Investigator/Bête NoireA Venezuelan detective who has become negative due to the depravity of the Tragedy. His grim and blunt manner has caused him to butt heads and argue viciously with the other graduates.
He is the killer of the third trial.
- The Alcoholic: He's almost always seen drinking an alcoholic beverage.
- Alcohol Hic: "Shut up already!...Hic!"
- Cool Mask: Wears a black eye mask with tattered tails, that's supposed to bear a resemblance to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles masks (according to his creator on Discord).
- Dark and Troubled Past: He lost his home country and entire graduating class to the Tragedy, and was ignored when he tried to warn people about Kuma-Kuma Land.
- Death by Irony: The self-titled 'Black Beast' gets killed by an actual black beast.
- Despair Event Horizon: Falls off it completely during the third trial, fully succumbing to Despair.
- Drinking on Duty: Drinks throughout the trials.
- Drink Order: Asks for a refill of his flask during the trial.
- Dying Town: Doesn't have a home to go back to since Venezuela is just gone after the Tragedy.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Often speaks Spanish.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: To name a few moments: he loudly shouted at Odelios, Anzu, Isaac and Hara to keep their mouths shut. He also punched Ishiku, giving him a bloody nose.
- Hero Antagonist: He stands against Despair, but his attitude is one of the biggest things that makes it hard for the cast to gt along. Especially when the prospect of trying to help the Monokubs comes up. He drops the 'Hero' part.
- Jerkass: Is the most unlikeable member of the tourists.
- Jerkass Has a Point: He's not entirely wrong to complain about the others focusing more on relationships and joking around than trying to get answers in Penjar.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Completely falls into Despair at the end of the third trial, and quickly plns to escape from his excution and start a new Tragedy. Taro stops that, however.
- Kick the Dog: Emanuel tends to strike others when they argue back. When he falls to Despair, his first plan is to kill the people he personally dislikes, then anyone that survived the Tragedy alongside his murder victim, then start a second Tragedy while blaming her for it.
- Kill It with Water: Drowned Monokuma when the bear tries to go into the hot tub.
- Meaningful Rename: Obviously, Emanuel changed his ultimate title from Private Investigator to Bête Noire (which is French for Black Beast), but also defines into a person or thing that one particularly dislikes.
- Off with His Head!: Courtesy of a Displacer Beast.
- The Rival: Hates Fiora, mainly because she (a graduate who seems content to make bad films) survived the Tragedy when other Ultimates with more helpful talents (like the rest of his class) didn't.
- Would Hit a Girl: Hits Fiora several times. The last time actually helps snap her out of the stupor she was in at the time.
Ultimate ExplorerAn Indian woman who is an avid traveler, but a shy person. She is supportive of others, especially those close to her. Classmates with Isaac and Saiko, engaged to the former.
- Buxom Is Better: Is very well endowed.
- High-School Sweethearts: Hara and Isaac met at Hope's Peak Academy, and fell in love there.
- Not Good with People: She tends to stick close to her close friends, but has a hard time with other people.
- Official Couple: Engaged to Isaac.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Orange bangs.
Ultimate (Female) ArtistA Korean woman who is the younger sister of Yejoon Nahm. She is a dismissive but somewhat mischievous person who loves tormenting her brother.
Jin is the culprit of the first trial.
- Animal Motifs: Calls herself Olppaemi the Owl.
- Ax-Crazy: After revealing her true nature.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Has a talon-like blade hidden in her right arm, which was the weapon used to kill Takeo.Odelios - [after Jin showcases it in front of everyone] Guys, I found the murder weapon!
- Cool Mask: Wears an upper-face white Owl mask.
- Mad Artist: She killed Takeo to make him "beautiful."
- Rage Breaking Point: Jin tends to explode when countered. This seriously amplifies when she's being cornered in the trial where she's the killer, and violently so after it's proven.
- Serial Killer: She claims to have killed 154 people, Takeo included, but according to Yejoon, she's stealing credit from him for killing a third of them.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Pink and Purple Hair.
Fiora R. Stenton
Ultimate Movie MakerA Canadian gal with incredible passion and energy, famous for making numerous, notoriously unusual B-movies. She's loud and a bit clueless, and speaks with a rather thick Canadian accent.
- Ambiguously Brown: Has a dark complexion.
- Butt-Monkey: The poor girl rarely catches a break.
- Canada, Eh?: Many 'ehs' pepper her speech.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Survived a killing game as the only survivor.
- Driven to Suicide: Found hanging at the end of chapter 3-7.
- Genki Girl: Very energetic.
- Morality Pet: Seems to be becoming one for Yejoon.
- Only Friend: Played with, Yejoon sees her as this, but she always tries to avoid him every time she sees him.
- The Rival: Is hated by Emanuel, mainly because she (a b-movie maker) survived the Tragedy while so mny 'better' Ultimates (like his classmates) died.
- Significant Anagram: The first two letters of each of her names, Fiora R. Stenton, spell out "first", which Emanuel points out to her, insinuating that she's going to be the first to die. Subverted as she neither died nor become the first killer.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: She has a habit of getting excited real fast.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Black and White Hair. It's dyed partially white.
- You Killed My Father: Her parents were killed in the fire Blake indirectly caused. She threatens to shoot him over it and his lack of care.
Ultimate SkierA Japanese thrill seeker in many senses. She has a strong drive, but is usually distracted by other targets than the obvious one.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Aka is normally more interested in Hikari when things are going on.
- Lesbian Jock: Very sports active, and very into girls (mainly Hikari).
- Ship Tease: Flirts with Hikari frequently. Then sleeps with her.
- Thrill Seeker: Enjoys several types of sports.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple Hair.
Ultimate Forensic InvestigatorA Japanese lady who is highly skilled in investigation and scientific processes. She is usually curt and to the point, and heavily driven. Classmates and friends with Isaac and Hara.
- Agent Scully: Doesn't believe anything supernatural is happening in Penjar.
- Buxom Is Better: Despite being rather short, she's stacked.
- The Comically Serious: She tends to react to ridiculous scenarios with a blunt tone and expression.
- Determined Expression: She takes control of the investigations fast.
- Not So Stoic: She tends to be, but it kind of drops around her friends and when things get sexual.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple Hair.
Ultimate Military AdvisorAn American lady who is a gifted tactical analyst. She can be highly aggressive when need be, but there is a strong sense of passion behind it all. A member of the Lions, the Western version of the Future Foundation.
- Badass Longcoat: Had one and lost it.
- Bi the Way: Discovers this after a aphrodisiac three-way with a man and a woman.
- The Stoic: She is a very determined and calm woman who'll handle most anything... except losing video games and betrayal.
Ultimate Steam Punk ModelAn incredibly gorgeous Japanese model of the unique genre of Steam Punk styled clothing. Usually distracted by other things, there is a strong sense of justice to her.
- Agent Peacock: She's wearing fancy clothing, despite the circumstances, and always ensures she looks good every day.
- Buxom Is Better: Very well endowed.
- Dark and Troubled Past: When touring in Novoselic, a stalker of hers grew violent, and Hikari was forced to kill in self-defense.
- Gaydar: Her's a little off, as she kind of hits on ladies even if they're totally straight.
- Lesbian Vampire: She was an aggressive flirt with the girls in Hope's Peak, and with the girls at Penjar. All except Jin.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Only has eyes for girls.
- Verbal Tic: Makes train-whistle-like noises with her mouth, usually while sighing.
Ultimate HistorianA Japanese teacher who is an avid learner and preacher of history. She works with a combination of logic and emotion, and tries to help out where she can.
She's found dead in the Lab, impaled on a piece of rebar.
- A-Cup Angst: She hates the fact that she's not well-endowed.
- Brainy Brunette: Redhead (it's dyed), but still applies.
- The Lost Lenore: For Taro.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!: Was trying to help the Monokubs stay human, as they had more freedom and were less enslaved in that state.
- Tattoo as Character Type: Has a tattoo of the Eiffel Tower on her back.
An Italian performer who doesn't speak at all times, and can be quite cantankerous.
- Agitated Item Stomping: She kicked over many trashcans on the misty streets. And Monokuma.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Silently kicks Monokid through the air and chases after Monokuma through Penjar.
- Face Death with Dignity: When she thought she was going to die in Case 2, she didn't fight it or try to beg for mercy; she even pointed out she was the one who could have accidentally done it.
- Ship Tease: With Drake. She has consistently showcased gentleness with him, and an interest in his art.
- The Voiceless: Communicates by miming her words.
Ultimate AnthropologistA stern and observant Japanese lady who watches other people to learn more about culture and behavior.
- Artificial Limbs: An artificial hand that she covers up with a glove.
- Covert Pervert: When drunk and/or frustrated, she tends to get handsy and horny with those close by to her.
- Every Scar Has a Story: She has scars like knife wounds coming from both corners of her mouth.
- Tattoo as Character Type: She has a large dragon tattoo on her back.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Silver Hair.
Ultimate Romance WriterAn American writer who is a big-time romantic though shy when it comes to romance for herself.
- Alliterative Name: Pyrrha Poole.
- Bi the Way: Likes guys and girls, and gets interested in watching Angelique and Kimiko making out.
- Blind Date: She was going to have one with Odelios of all people, due to Ishiku trying to set up his friend. They never went on it, due to Angelique's murder.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Words failed this writer when Anzu gave her a lap dance.
- Redhead In Green: Bright red long hair, and wears various shades of green.
- Shipper on Deck: Certainly this when she meets Isaac and Hara. Or around pretty much any romantic relationship, for tht matter.
Ultimate Biker Gang LeaderA tough Japanese/Canadian biker gang leader who carried the mantle before Mondo Oowata did. Fierce to enemies and sweet towards friends, she leads the Road Royals, an all-female biker gang in Canada.
- Badass Biker: Naturally, as the Ultimate Biker Gang Leader.
- Bi the Way: She likes both, but tends to lean towards females.
- Break the Badass: Seeing so many reminders of her lost ones, fighting face-to-face with a spirit form of Junko Enoshima, and losing Angelique shortly after getting romantic with her has really done a number on the poor woman.
- Canada, Eh?: She's very much Canadian, as she herself states.
- Dark and Troubled Past: During the Tragedy, her sister, second-in-command, and her girlfriend were all murdered.
- Distracted by the Sexy: When she sees Angelique in her bikini, Kimiko had a hard time not staring.
- Funetik Aksent: Her pronounced Saskatchewan accent is present in the text.
- Interrupted Suicide: After the second trial, she tried to shoot herself in the head after everything happened. Hikari distracted her, until Yitro was close enough to yank her hand away.
- Sarashi: Wears one as part of her usual attire.
- Tragic Keepsake: She has the dog tags of her fallen loved ones on a bracelet.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Green Hair.
Ultimate Opera SingerA famous French performer who is very amorous and flirtatious, but also a big-hearted support to her friends. Classmate and friend of Yitro.
Is tragically killed as the second case victim.
- Alliterative Name: Angelique Angolmois.
- Beauty Mark: Has one on her face.
- Gay Best Friend: She's close to Yitro, and tries to get him a girlfriend... while also looking at the ladies!
- Kill It with Fire: How she was murdered.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Is expressly stated to not like guys.
- Team Mom: She is a strong sense of guidance and morals, standing up for other people at all times.
- Tragic Keepsake: Her locket contains a picture of her first, late love.
Ultimate Adult Actress *A flirtatious and sensual Japanese lady who started off as an actress, but began adult films after graduating. Sexual by trade, but sweet by nature.
- Alliterative Name: Anzu Amika.
- Character Tics: She curls her bangs around in her fingers.
- Forced Sleep: This seems to be the case since she still has a pulse and just won't wake up. Except she wakes up next chapter.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Pale with black hair.
- Smarter Than You Look: She has multiple times showcased cunning intellect that has shocked the others.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Well, bangs, but it counts.
A quintet of younger bears helping Monokuma run the game.
- Big-Bad Ensemble: With Monokuma.
- Humanity Ensues: Following the second trial, they suddenly gain human bodies, supposedly to help get along with the visitors. All but Taro are turned back to normal a few days later.
Monotaro / Taro
Ultimate Determination/ForgetfulnessThe red-colored semi-leader of the group. Tends to freak out the most when Monokuma gets shot/stabbed/blown away.
He dies alongside Emanuel in the third execution, stopping him from hurting anyone else.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: When the graduates attacked them, Monotaro got Fiora in a headlock and wrestled her down, while the other Kubs were getting beaten up. Granted, it was Fiora, but that's still a grown human woman.
- Defector from Decadence: Basically switches sides after remaining human in the third case.
- Easy Amnesia: He consistently forgets things, usually comedically. This is apparently induced by machinery.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: ... Maybe.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!: Sides with the students to try and find Shinobu's killer, even going against his family.
- Taking You with Me: He and Emanuel ultimately pull this on each other.
- What the Hell, Hero?: He calls out the group during the trial for arguing instead of actually trying to find the killer.
Monophanie / FannieThe pink-colored girl of the group, "wearing" a bikini outfit. Seems to be a doormat, but comes back with a vengeance.
- Buxom Is Better: Her human self has very large breasts, to the surprise (and enjoyment) of several others.
- The Chick: As the sole female of the Monokubs.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: After becoming human, while still wearing just a bikini.
- Only Sane Man: She's usually the voice of reason or compassion with her crazy brothers.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: When there's blood and death, or strong mentions of it, she tends to lose whatever she was... eating?
Monosuke / SukeThe orange-colored cunning, conniving one of the bunch. He is determined to get fan service and money for Penjar, and comes off as highly haughty.
- Dirty Old Man: He wants more fan service, and thus tries to convince the ladies to be more sexy.
- Funetik Aksent: Youse hear his inflections, don'tcha?
Monokid / KiddThe blue-colored foul-mouthed rock star of the group. Violent and rude and ever-cursing, he likes aggressive people and manners.
- Killing Intent: Tried to murder Monodam during the second execution.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: All the censored time.
Monodam / Dam
The green-colored monotoned and stoic cub of the bunch. Something about him wants to understand human emotions. Prone to getting hurt, mostly due to Monokid's abuse/assassination attempts.
- Machine Monotone: SPEAKS-LIKE-THIS-CONSTANTLY. Even. As. A. Human.
- Odd Friendship: With Drake.
- Pinocchio Syndrome: He wants to understand humans, and have them get along.
- The Stoic: Very quiet and calm throughout most scenarios, even when being attacked, Monokuma being murdered, and while almost dying.
The Entity of Chaos
A mysterious person present in Penjar with the Graduates. They seem to want to bring about another wave of Despair on the world, and had a mole delivered to the town to be planted as a 'seed'.
Ultimates who were set to attend the School for Talented Students (a London-based school modeled off of Hope's Peak that uses the title of Premier) as it's 37th class, but became participants in the Central City killing game.
Premier ComedianA Japanese teen who is often far more serious than his talent would imply.
- Meaningful Name: His name translates to 'Bad joke'.
- So Unfunny, It's Funny: His jokes have been noted to be not that good, but Word of God had confirmed that it's his delivery that leaves people in stitches.
Premier Queen BeeA French teen with a mean and haughty attitude. Known for consistently bossing around others and acting superior to them. Has an intense rivalry with Zoey.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: Chloe is known for her beauty, and is indeed French.
- Expy: Her name, talent, ethnicity, appearance and attitude are exactly like that of Chloe Bourgeois.
- French Jerk: Chloe, who is French, definitely isn't the nicest person.
- Spoiled Brat: Chloe takes this trope and runs with it.
Abraham W. Roosevelt
Premier PoliticianA well-kept American who was invited to S.T.S. Assumed the role of unofficial leader of the trapped students.
- Meaningful Name: His name is an amalgamation of three former U.S. Presidents.
- The Leader: He assumes this role for the group.
Premier Rhythm Game PlayerA snappy French girl. Has an intense rivalry with Chloe.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: Like Chloe, Zoey is a beautiful French girl.
- Gamer Chick: Naturally, being a master of rhythm games.
Premier PsychologistA relaxed Japanese man who seems unfazed at most things. Known to chuckle and push his glasses up quite often.
- Lack of Empathy: Played With. He's the one least shocked at finding Hibiki's corpse but he does at least try to sympathize with his killer's motivations.
- Nerd Glasses: Is a psychologist and wears glasses.
Premier Ballroom DancerAn elegant, if not a bit sheltered, British girl.
- Afraid of Blood: Collapses at the sight of Hibiki's body and later admits to Zoey that she doesn't do well around blood.
- Dances and Balls: Attends these a lot given her talent.
Premier ChefA friendly, if not a bit socially awkward, Japanese teen. Loves to cook for everyone.
He is the first to die, found dead on the morning of the second day.
- Supreme Chef: As expected of the Ultimate Chef.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: He is killed early on in the game, as well as getting little screentime compared to the others.
Premier KunoichiA timid Japanese girl. Often stumbles on her words and needs to use her mask to calm herself down.
- Meaningful Name: Her name translates to "Snow White"
- Secret Keeper: Is one of the two to first find out about the Hostages Folder and hide it from the others, along with Jacen.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is naturally black hair, but it is dyed white.
Premier BarberA well-meaning Australian teen. Does nearly anything asked of him, even if it was meant as a joke.
- Badass Mustache: Has a handlebar mustache.
- Just Following Orders: Threw a chair across the wall after hearing Chloe mention it.
Premier RapperA fun-loving and energetic Brazilian girl who is always down to bust a rhyme. Beneath this lies a psychopathic girl who kills without hesitation.
She is the culprit of the first case.
- Alliterative Name: Adriana Andrade.
- Parental Abandonment: She was left on a street corner before she turned five years old. Had to kill and steal to get by.
Premier MetalworkerA happy-go-lucky Japanese boy with a passion for his talent and other metal-related facts. He is also hopelessly socially naive, and doesn't pick up on social cues like others would.
- Adorkable: Will constantly babble on about things related to metalworking, such as forks or domed buildings.
- Skilled, but Naïve: Is very good at what he does, but is hopelessly naive when it comes to social situations.
- Ultimate Blacksmith: As expected of the Ultimate Metalworker.
Premier DuelistAn energetic Swedish girl with a flair for the dramatic. Known to constantly pester Matt to duel her.
- Nice Hat: Wears a hat similar to those of the 18th Century Swedish Military. She tends to pull the tip down in dramatic fashion.
- Sword and Gun: Carries both a dueling rapier and a pistol.
Premier SwordsmanA Japanese teen who tends to keep to himself, despite constantly being pestered by Caroline.
- Master Swordsman: As expected of the Ultimate Swordsman.
Premier Teacher's AssistantA sharp-minded Japanese girl.
- Death Glare: Has been known to give quite a few of these, most notably towards Aiger.
- Mega Twintails: Her hair is noted to be fashioned into a pair of these.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has icy white hair.
Premier WriterA nice and well-meaning Irish boy.
- Monochromatic Eyes: He's described as having pure white eyes.
- Secret Keeper: Is one of the two to first find out about the Hostages Folder and hide it from the others, along with Shirahime.
Premier ArcherA pleasant and friendly Swedish girl.
Students from a school based out of the Versailles palace in France. A more exclusive school than others of its kind, their students are called 'Elites'.
The Class rep. A somewhat arrogant young man in need of some wake-up calls.
Elite Medical Researcher
- Hunk: Has rugged good looks.
Elite Cybersecurity Specialist
- Pretty Boy: Has good looks of a less traditionally masculine sort.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: With his fiance, Gwendolyn.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Gwendolyn's Red.
Elite Real Estate Baron
- Jerkass: Is rather unlikeable.
- Hunk: Handsome and muscular.
Elite Tech Mogul
- Tiny School Boy: The smallest boy in the group.
Elite Renaissance Man
He's been missing since the story started.
- The Dragon: unwillingly helping the game go on.
A young American man.
- Tulpa: Has four of them, each active depending on which piece of jewelry he's taken off.
- Punny Name: Hollywood.
- The Smurfette Principle: The only female Tulpa.
Elite Ballroom Dancer
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: With Katalina, who is almost a foot taller than him
- Hunk: Is hndsome, as shown in the image.
Maribelle Nevermind Peletier
A young Novoselician girl in line for the throne. Is somewhat arrogant in regards to the lower-class.
She is the accidental killer of the first case.
- Arranged Marriage: What her mother wants for her. And set up with Rowan's mother, behind both their backs.
- Fatal Flaw: She can let her emotions get the better of her.
- Marry for Love: What she wants for herself.
- Pink Is Feminine: She predominantly wears pink clothes.
- Shout-Out: Her design is intentionally based on a character from Fire Emblem.
- A Tragedy of Impulsiveness: She hit Yasmine over the head in a moment of anger, accidentally knocking her - fatally - into a counter head first.
Elite Karakuri Crafter
- Shipper on Deck: Is convinced the boys all have something going with each other.
Elite Postmodern Artist
A Scottish girl with an outgoing personality.
- Fiery Redhead: Has a vibrant personality and red hair.
- Hot-Blooded: Very emotive, and prone to speak her mind.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Gabriel's Blue.
Elite Private Chemist
A rather overweight girl from America who has a tendency to drone on with irrelevant stories.
- Southern Belle: Fits the trope well, (besides the weight).
Elouise Ivy Hewman
An Australian girl with an eye for clothes. Has a mouth on her.
- Brutal Honesty: Makes her opinions clear when she needs to, as Valentina can attest.
Elite Doll Maker
A young Grecian girl. Always accompanied by a large panda doll named Hercules that carries her around, and a small human doll named Hermes who speaks for her.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Has an unnaturally small body.
- Token Mini-Moe: The smallest non-doll member of the cast.
HerculesA giant panda doll who carries around Marina.
- The Quiet One: Nver speaks (if he even can).
HermesA tiny humanoid doll who serves as the voice for Marina.
- The Mouth Of Sauron: A non-evil example.
An Italian girl. Has trouble playing nice with others.
- Alpha Bitch: Comes off like this most of the time.
A Dutch girl who has heard rumors concerning Versailles Academy.
She is the first found dead.
- The Alcoholic: Struggled with addiction, and the Killing Game caused her to backslide. Her room is found with several empty bottles.
A duo of tiny creatures that curently run Versailles Academy.
The Cardinal Pegasus of Virtue
A seemingly-kind white pegasus. She represents the Virtue motives.
- Golden Eyes: Has a pair that's constantly closed.
- Knight Templar: Is unflinching about punishing 'sinners', cruelly if need be, even if the person in question only killed by accident due to a misunderstanding.
- Pure Is Not Good: Is committed to the letter of the law over the spirit of it.
- Token Good Teammate: The allegedly good half of the two headmasters. Not so much, actually.
The Saint Lion of Sin
A rude golden lion. He represents the Sin motives.
- Verbal Tic: Ra ra!
Super High School Level FloristA Japanese girl from the World Institute of Talent, located on an island controlled by the UN.
- First-Person Smartass: When she doesn't speak her mind.
- Tiny School Boy: Gender Inverted. She's the shortest member of the cast with the height of 4'7 ft.
Ultimate Electronic MusicianA Japanese boy who was scouted to attended Hope's Peak before the Tragedy.
- Nice Guy: He's one of the kinder characters.
Gifted Kenjutsu PractitionerA Japanese girl from Victoria Academy for the Gifted in Spain.
- Flash Step: using 'Hayate' a modified version of Shukuchi.
Super Inmate Level Mafia BossAn Italian girl from the Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles.
- Tiny School Boy: Gender Inverted. She's the second shortest of the cast, standing at only 4'11" tall.
Elite Mountain ClimberA Russian girl from Versailles Academy. Is actually from a lower class upbringing, but got to Versailles anyway thanks to her sponsor.
- Huge School Girl: She's the tallest female in the cast at 5'10".
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She's afraid of bears and suffers a panic attack whenever she sees one.
Paramount NinjaA Japanese girl from Mochizuki Premier Academy.
Naomi 'Nao' Yamazaki
Master EnigmatologistA Japanese girl from Imperial Leading High School. Kinda bitchy, but sensible when it comes to heel height.
- Berserk Button: Being called 'cute'.
- Jerkass: Gives Haruka a complicated metal loop puzzle and only a minute to solve it. When Haruka fails to solve it, Naomi proceeds to mock her for failing to solve it.
S-Class Crime Scene InvestigatorA Japanese boy from Winter's Crest Academy.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Dressed in all black and is the one most determined to keep all of the occupants alive.
Premier PsychologistA Japanese boy from STS.
Presumably survives this game, leading to his appearance in Central City.
- Alliterative Name: Kasuka Kagami.
- Foregone Conclusion: That he survives this Killing Game, due to his appearance in Central City.
Klara Lantsov / K1 4R4
Former Ultimate MekhanizmA Russian AI made during World War II. Originally meant to be a robot. Currently resides inside Kasuka's cell phone.
- Grew Beyond Their Programming: Was originally designed for war, but she managed to grow beyond that.
ŌkumaThe self-proclaimed 'king' of the Château, and face of the killing game.
- Meaningful Name: his name translates to 'king bear'.
Katherine "Kitty" Roberts
Ultimate Lion Tamer
- Fluffy Tamer: Tamed a lot of feline predators except for bobcats (which she loathes for some reason).
Ultimate GunslingerA twelve year old girl.
- Alliterative Name: Yui Yukimura
A young woman with a magical girl-style outfit.
Rafaela "Redslash" Frenzel
- Artificial Limbs: Has a cybernetic arm with sharp claws and can additionally turn into a saw-like blade.
- Not in Front of the Kid: She was scolded by Minemi and Yoshi.
Ultimate ?A four-year-old boy found stuck in the maze.
- The Password Is Always "Swordfish": The code used to get into Hideki's room was 0-3-0-3, which is his birthday; March 3rd (03/03).
- Token Mini-Moe: Is the youngest among the group of twenty-two, at the age of four.
Ultimate Artificial LifeformA member of the Future Foundation.
- Heart Light: He has an electromagnet in his chest to, what seems like, act like his heart.
- Identical Twin Mistake: He was mistaken for his brother, Dylan.
Former Ultimate MngwaA graduate from Hope's Peak Academy.
Heikki "Henry" Ruutikainen
Former Ultimate RescuerA Hope's Peak graduate but never actually attended.
Skyline AcademyAn American school found in Seattle, known for a well-rounded education that doesn't just focus on honing talents. The title of choice is 'Ace'.
- The Rival: Is this to Hope Hills, its competition on the other coast.
World Institute of Talent (W.I.T.)A school located on a private island owned by the United Kingdom. They use the title 'Super High School Level'.
- Mythology Gag: Their title is the same one that Hope's Peak uses in the Japanese dub.
Mikado AcademyA Chinese school. Students bear the title of 'Super Duper High School'.
- Mythology Gag: 'Super Duper High School' is the title used in fan subs.