Spoiler warning. This story assumes that the reader is familiar with the canonical plots of the main games, so spoilers for those will be unmarked. The fates of the characters in the stories themselves will also be unmarked. You have been warned.
See here for the canonical cast pages and tropes therein.
- Hope's Peak Killing Game
- Ultimate Despair*
- Class 80
- Hora Island
- Class 81-B
- Versailles Academy Class 76
- Talent Schools
The group that has been combating Despair and observing the Killing Game. Known non-Despair members include Kazuo Tengan (now deceased), Kyosuke Munakata, Juzo Sakakura, The Great Gozu, Daisaku Bandai (now deceased), Miaya Gekkogahara (now deceased), Koichi Kizakura and Souma Koukai.
Ultmate Student Council President
Graduate of Hope's Peak Class 74 and the second in command of Future Foundation (though in practice, its actual leader). A driven and uncompromising man, he is dead set on eradicating all traces of Despair, no matter the cost. Was romantically involved with Chisa Yukizome. He did not take learning her status as The Mole well.
Currently on the run after being deposed from Future Foundation leadership due to his zealotry.
- Eye Scream: Gets an eye clawed out by a Monokuma in chapter 104.
- Kill 'Em All: Chapter 89 shows Munakata still has this mindset, being willing not only to kill the Despairs (even knowing they're just Brainwashed and Crazy and that Ryota could and previously had made a cure for that), but also anyone who's been exposed to the despair brainwashing video (including classes 77-B and 78, who were brainwashed then cured previously) to eliminate despair entirely. Kizakura calls him on this. In Chapter 113, he has his army of Foundation soldiers surround the recently-escaped survivors, intending to kill all of them (and Juzo) so they won't be able to potentially spread despair. He kills Ryoko successfully, but then all of his men turn on him when he instructs them to shoot the rest. He is then knocked out by Juzo and arrested.
- Victim Blaming: Side-stories reveal that He had a habit of blaming people who's family members had fallen to Despair for failing to notice what had transpired. At least one case is shown of him saying it's a teenaged girl's fault that her Despaired mother killed the children under her care, as she had failed to discover the brainwashing (or learn her father was a willing Despair) in time.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Wants to save the world from despair. Doesn't believe that can be done without killing everyone who has fallen to despair, even those brainwashed into it against their will. That this approach would be more likely to spread despair to others ( like those whose loved ones would be unnecessarily killed) is lost on him. He kills Ryota to ensure that he isn't used to make anymore brainwashing videos. He is last seen in the epilogue escaping prison and going on the run, intending to spread his murderous brand of Hope.
A talent scout for Hope's Peak, currently one of the heads of the Future Foundation (branch 3). Serves as a liason to the escaped hostages.
Becomes the head of Future Foundation after the Hope's Peak Killing Game.
- Big Damn Heroes: At the end, just as Juzo knocks Kyosuke out.
- The Hero: For the Towa City arc, arguably. Definitely more than Munakata.
- The Leader: Becomes head of Future Foundation in the epilogue, with Makoto as his second in command and successor.
The official leader of the Future Foundation. Dies at the end of the Towa City arc.
- Adaptational Heroism: Doesn't show interest in using the Hope video to force Hope on the people of the world.
- Taking You with Me: Mortally wounds Sonosuke before succumbing to his wounds.
One of the heads of Future Foundation (branch 6), Graduate of Hope's Peak Class 74 and Munakata's right hand man. Until the epilogue, at least.
- Morality Pet: Tries to be this for Munakata as things progress. The most it gets him is not being killed when Munakata breaks out of confinement.
- Straight Gay: Why he's so loyal to Kyosuke.
Hope's Peak Academy Class 69 graduate and head of branch 12. Unofficial(?) bodyguard to Tengen. One of the only named branch heads to survive the story.
- The Big Guy: Serves as this for Future Foundation as their biggest fighter.
- Gentle Giant: A large man, and a nice one.
The wheelchair-bound head of Future Foundation branch 7.
Killed shortly after releasing the Hope Video in chapter 104.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: At least she was onscreen alive here.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Narrative-wise, she's killed right after announcing her part in Towa City's liberation (releasing the Hope video) had been done.
Graduate of Hope's Peak Class 66 and head of the Future Foundation Branch 11, which manages food distribution. Has a really out of place voice. Dies during the liberation of Towa City.
An investigator for Future Foundation's Sixth Branch, and secretly the Serial-Killer Killer known only as Killer Killer. After his identity is discovered, he's made to join the Foundation's assault on Towa City. He leaves to hunt down the remaining Despaired clone in the epilogue.
- Mercy Kill: Gives one to Matsuda after finding him in chapter 104.
Ultimate Public Speaker
A graduate of Hope's Peak and Branch Head of information and public relations. He's kept tabs on certain graduates in hopes of recruiting them to the Foundation and is currently investigating Penjar.
For his tropes see the Mists of Penjar folder.
The Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy
The self-proclaimed headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy. He's very eager to see society's biggest hopefuls start killing each other, so he heaps psychological torture on the students at every turn. Shows up in a few other games afterwards.
- Big Bad: The face of the Masterminds in the Killing Games.
- I See Dead People: He and Makoto are the only ones in Hope's Peak who can see Sayaka's ghost. Then the Mastermind of that game is revealed in Chapter 111...
- Pride: Doesn't take kindly to being called a Coward by the students.
- Sadist: Gets off on causing others despair (possibly literally).
The only one of the Despaired clones of dead students to survive the destruction of Hope's Peak, his empty pod was found months later amidst the rubble. He is currently at Kuma-Kuma Land.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: To the degree of Canon!Nagito circa Ultra Despair Girls, as evidenced by his willingness to kill others in the name of 'hope' and 'despair'.
- Evil Twin: Of Nagito Komaeda.
- Healing Factor: Presumably has one, as a clone.
- Secretly Dying: Well, his original had terminal brain cancer, and the Healing Factor of his clone body speeds up the growth of cancer, so...
Students who were being scouted as potential members of Class 81. Captured by the Despairs for a killing game. This could've been class of 81-A has ended up at an amusement park.
- Dwindling Party: Besides the usual. The game initially starts with one hundred students (of varying ages if Annabelle is any indication) in a roller coaster. By the end of the ride, only the following twenty are still alive, and four of them nearly fell off themselves.
- Multinational Team: Not to the same extent as Class 80-B, but half of the cast are non-Japanese, ranging from American to French to Korean.
Ultimate Punk Rock Musician
A Japanese/German man with an energetic disposition (and a dirty mouth). Was seated next to Kaizoku on the ride.
He escaped alive.
- Anything That Moves: Claims that he likes guys and girls, and probably anything in-between. Ends up dating on of each.
- Delinquent Hair: An outrageous punk style befitting an Ultimate Punk Rocker.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Has trouble focusing when a topless Shiho runs by.
- One True Threesome: With Kaizoku and Shiho.
- Ship Tease: Has a few moments with Kanade that come to an end when he finds her dead body.
- Sir Swearsalot: Not to excessively but he definitely seems to lack a filter.
- The Fool: He is relatively undeterred by the threat of the killing game or the rollercoaster he awoke on. He also can't help but focus on his idea for a concert even after hearing about an attack in the funhouse.
- The Stoner: Implied, he's initially worried the game is a bad trip.
A Japanese man who also answers to 'Ultimate Pirate'. Was seated next to Naruhiko on the ride.
He escaped alive.
- Big Brother Instinct: Took very quickly to helping to look after and playing with Annabelle. He's also the first to speak up in her defense in the trial.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Accidentally killed his father in an attempt to impress him.
- Fingore: Is missing a finger on his right hand.
- It Runs in the Family: Well having a sea-based Ultimate talent does, no idea about personality traits. All of the known member's names contain the syllable Kai. Fittingly it means Sea or Ocean.
- Meaningful Name: "Kaizoku" means pirate and "Dokuro" means skull, fitting for his pirate motif and the skull-and-crossbones symbol for pirates, respectively.
- One True Threesome: With Naruhiko and Shiho.
- Scars Are Forever: Has a burn scar on his left arm, courtesy of the accident that got his father killed.
- Talk Like a Pirate: Regularly. He can drop it if he wants to, however.
- The Nicknamer: Seems to be part of the above trope.
Ultimate Parental Figure
A Japanese American with a calm and welcoming personality. Would prefer being called the ultimate Father figure. Was seated next to Dolly on the ride.
He escaped alive.
- Covered with Scars: Well his arms at least, but he hides them under his sleeves.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He was stalked by a girl with an obsessive crush on him, the end result leaving him with scars both mental and (as the above trope shows) physical. It's why he's cautious around certain physical contact, as Tiana discovers.
- Good Parents: He lives up to his title by being very comforting and advisory to the other students, even those older than him.
- Meaningful Name: Haruto's name means "spring" fitting for his warm and welcoming demeanor. It also sounds like the English word "heart", describing his big-hearted personality.
- Sensitive Guy: His Establishing Character Moment is offering Dolly a shoulder to cry on if needed, and trying to help her remain calm.
- Ship Tease: With Tiana while they keep watch over Anna.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Sky blue, befitting his calm demeanor.
Ultimate Hockey Star
An Irish-Canadian boy and older cousin of Mallory Walsh of Class 80-B* . Was sitting next to Chloe on the ride.
The culprit of the first trial.
- Blackmail: The reason why he was pressured to kill. After hearing about the death of his cousin Mallory, he didn't want to lose anyone else. When his little sister was being threatened, he acted.
- Canada, Eh?: Frequently says 'eh', as fitting the usual stereotype.
- Dark and Troubled Past: His father divorced and left the family, leaving him to take care of his younger sister Sarah.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Killed to protect his younger sister.
Ultimate Investigative Journalist
A Scotsman. Was sitting with Churi and Otto on the ride.
Is found dead shortly after the Spookyland District is unlocked.
- Bizarre Taste in Food: He enjoys hot sauce combined with most things.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has his moments.
- Not So Stoic: Despite his claims of being a loner he has shown concern for others a few times.
- Only Sane Man: The first character to call out that they are in a similar situation to the Hope's Peak killing game.
- Ship Tease: Starts getting close to Tomoko of all people. They finally kiss right before he's attacked and killed.
Ultimate Paralympic Athlete
A Canadian of Japanese ancestry whose most noticeable physical features are his missing left leg and right arm. He's also a vegetarian. Was sitting next to Seikatsu in the opening ride.
He was Soo's killer on day eleven.
- An Arm and a Leg: Literally. He doesn't have an arm or a leg and doesn't use prosthetics, just a crutch.
- Disability Superpower: A more realistic example, but he has clearly trained to compensate for his handicap.
- I am a Humanitarian: The accident that took his limbs also left him with his parents corpses for days on end. He made sure not to starve to death.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Apparently, for some reason that is unknown to him, his parents named him after Sigmund Freud.
- Promotion to Parent: He had to make the sacrifice to not get prosthetics so his sisters could get a good education.
Soo Yeong Moon
Ultimate Plastic Surgeon
A good looking South Korean man known as Dr. Miracle. Was on the same cart as Utano.
- Bishōnen: Has been described as "handsome" multiple times in the story. He used to be quite ugly.
- Peek-a-Bangs: They cover the right side of his face. And the scars there as well.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Seems to think this about himself. No longer a problem.
- Stalker with a Crush: Been the victim of this trope before through some rather unpleasant experiences with some persistent fans in his past.
A Japanese boy. Was seated with Soo Yeong Moon on the roller coaster, who saved him at the last second from ejection. He reads a little too much into the gesture.
He's found with his neck broken on day ten.
- Abusive Parents: His father. Utano's preferences would just be another excuse for the man to hit him.
- Ambiguously Gay: Was blushing at how close he ended up next to the 'breathtaking' plastic surgeon. Later confirmed to like him. Too much, actually.
- Meaningful Name: His full name translates to "I will write songs".
- Stalker with a Crush: Utano spent several days during the time skip following Soo Yeong everywhere, and left him a love poem to find.
- Yandere: He is convinced that Soo Yeong will return his feelings. And he threatens to kill Churi when she makes the suggestion that he should consider giving Soo Yeong more space. He claimed that he was just joking. It's later confirmed in the discord that he takes medication for this, but has been denied any in the park. Ultimately, he kills Churi for 'getting in his way'.
Otto Von Skylar
Ultimate Racecar Driver
A German boy and heir of the Skylar Motor Company. A rather arrogant fellow with some anger issues and a foul mouth. Was sitting with Lachlan and Churi on the roller coaster.
Is, somewhat surprisingly, the first victim of the killing game.
- Agent Scully: Initially thinks the whole thing's a stunt, as clearly he's too important as a potential ransom hostage to be used in a Killing Game. Later admits he even thought the previous killing game broadcasts were just a hoax to grab ratings.
- Asshole Victim: Attempted to kill Patrick, before he got killed himself.
- Expy: Seems like one for Byakuya Togami.
- Railing Kill: Thrown off a balcony.
- Token Evil Teammate: For the first day. He actually attempts a murder to keep a secret from ruining his family.
Sir Laris Nevermind
A half-Japanese knight from Sonia's homeland of Novoselic, clad entirely in silver armor. The surname suggests some relation to the royal family (though the knight doesn't want to talk about it). Was sitting in the back of the opening ride. Is actually a woman.
Is actually the second mole and the fifth culprit.
- Abusive Parent: Abandoned by their mother after her ambitions were fulfilled.
- Boobs of Steel: Fitting for the ultimate knight.
- Expy: Kinda one to Jon Snow, at least initially.
- Heroic Bastard: Is the illegitimate half-sister of Sonia Nevermind and Kirumi Tojo, having been produced by an affair between The King and Kirumi's ambitious mother.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Engages in this a bit concerning the past.
- Knight in Shining Armor: She fits this trope both literally and in temperament.
- The Lost Lenore: Becomes this to Chloe.
- My Greatest Failure: The inability to help Novoselic following the Tragedy, or help Princess Sonia. It's later revealed that she abandoned the kingdom at the king's order. She froze and failed to do her duty to stop a mob of despairing citizens attacking Novaselic.
- Straight Gay: As her kiss with Chloe seems to indicate.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Is actually a woman, which gets revealed in the second case.
- Undying Loyalty: To Sonia. A Deconstruction as Sonia being brought back to life was Laris' motivation to become The Mole and ultimately kill Lachlan.
Ultimate Forensic Investigator
A nine-year-old girl from the USA. Somehow was being scouted despite her young age. Was on the ride with Tiana who saved her from falling off in the first section of chapter one.
She escaped alive.
- Adorably Precocious Child: Fits this trope through her actions and mannerisms.
- And Now For Something Completely Different: That's not a typo, she's really only nine! And yet somehow was being considered for a high school already.
- Break the Cutie: Since she's a child, the Killing Game is definitely going to take a toll on her young innocence.
- Brutal Honesty: Says what she thinks, even when it's asking (in front of several others) how Shiho runs with her large boobs.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Subverted. She puts on her goggles when on a case. They also have thermal vision.
- Has Two Mommies: Has mentioned her moms a couple of times.
- Nice Girl: Quick to defend Tiana when someone insults her talent.
- Token Mini-Moe: Obviously, the youngest member of the group.
An attractive young American woman with an odd talent. Was on the ride with Annabelle (whom she was quick to start calling Anna).
She escaped alive.
- Dressed Like a Dominatrix: Mostly averted. Instead of the attire this trope lists, Tiana wears a white off-the-shoulder shirt, a purple skirt, and white heels. The only part of her attire that fits the trope is the whip she carries.
- Establishing Character Moment: Is kind and non-condescending to the nine year old Annabelle, and is quick to save her when she gets ejected from her seat.
- Nice Girl: Is quick to reassure Annabelle that things will be fine in the first chapter, and keep her secure on the roller coaster.
- Official Couple: With Haruto.
- Ship Tease: With Haruto given their mutual protectiveness of Annabelle. Later admits she's falling for him.
- Unexpected Virgin: Happens to be one, despite her profession.
- Whip It Good: Has a whip.
A young Japanese girl with a musical skill. Was sitting next to Laris in the back of the ride.
Is tragically killed during the paintball game.
- A Tragic Mistake: Her horrific death was a genuine accident, brought about by sheer bad luck.
- Expy: Seems similar to Mikan Tsumiki in terms of personality and shyness (less stuttering, though).
- Pen Name: She composes all her songs under the name Uguisu.
- Shrinking Violet: Seems to be one, mentioning she's not good at introductions and stammering at a couple of points.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Has a fear of heights. The roller coaster didn't help.
A young, energetic blind girl. Ended up next to Laris and Kanade after getting ejected from her seat.
She escaped alive.
- Buxom Is Better: She's very well endowed (very), which somehow doesn't affect her running. Anna is confused by this, and how she got them.
- Heroic BSoD: Has one briefly after discovering Otto's body.
- The Mole: An unwilling one.
- One True Threesome: With Kaizoku and Naruhiko, to her own surprise.
- Plucky Girl: She's surprisingly upbeat and optimistic for a blind girl in a Killing Game, as her above quote shows.
- Secret Keeper: Knows Laris is a woman.
- Unwitting Test Subject: She was experimented on her whole childhood by her father, the Ultimate Doctor.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Mentions she sometimes forgets to put a shirt on, which Naruhiko gets an eyeful of in chapter 17.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Lavender is linked to the characteristics of 'compassionate' and 'intuitive', matching Shiho's personality.
An American girl with a tendency to spout numbers in situations such as the opening chapter.
Is the accidental murderer of the second trial, and the first 'culprit' in the series to get away with it and leave.
- Affectionate Nickname: 'Mad Maths'.
- Alliterative Name: Madison Maddox.
- Character Tic: Uses mathematic terms frequently when speaking.
- Hiding the Handicap: Has Prosopagnosia, an inability to recognize faces (even her own). This is revealed in the first trial.
- Oh, Crap!: Has this moment when she discovers 1) they're on a Floating Island above the ocean, 2) the island will eventually stop floating and crash, and 3) how devastating the ensuing damage would be.
- Punny Name: 'Maddie Maddox'. Said fast enough it sounds like 'mathematics'.
Ultimate Fashion Designer / Ultimate Femme Fatale
A French girl. Seems rather calm with her current circumstances. Was sitting next to Patrick and ended up sitting in his lap after all the seats but his were ejected from their car.
She escaped alive.
- Action Girl: Is rather athletic. Theres a reason for that.
- She's able to escape from her roller coaster seat before it's ejected and move to another seat in seconds, all while the ride is still in motion. Later makes a ten-foot leap from one balcony to another and back again without hesitation.
- She's also the one who puts Otto in his place when he threatens Dolly/Becky.
- When Despair!Nagito tries to kill Annabelle, she quickly disarms him and throws him through a mirror.
- Ambiguously Gay: The only ones she's shown much positive emotion to so far are the other girls. That, and she frequently flirts with or teases them.
- Animal Motif: Seems to be butterflies, like the earrings she wears.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Seikatsu's cards have hinted that she has many dead people in her past, and a secret she's hiding. It seems tied to a group with similar skills in Paris, marked by a butterfly symbol. It's later revealed she's actually got the second talent of Ultimate Femme Fatale, and is part of the Free Butterflies, an assassin group that's been active since The French Revolution.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Fits the description, though she's actually quite nice.
- Gratuitous French: Slips into this when grieving 'Lari's' death.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Very feminine, ends up with Laris.
- Secret Keeper: Knows Laris is a woman.
- Self-Made Orphan: Killed her mother to avenge her father. It was only afterwards that she discovered her mother had been pregnant.
- The Tease: Seems to be one, a bit. Especially to other girls.
A young woman with a shifting disposition. Was seated near the back with Sigmund during the coaster.
She escaped alive, having fused all her personalities together.
- Apron Matron: The Empress seems to be a kindly version of this.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Her Devil arcana is this in strides, from accosting Kaizoku and hitting on Tiana.
- Love Confession: The Lovers personality gives one from out of nowhere towards Laris.
- Split Personality: Has one for each of the 21 cards in the Arcana, apparently.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: The Death arcana is a quiet, hollow-staring personality who easily lifts Tomoko by the neck and nearly killed her. It was the first personality that manifested, with all others being created as an attempt to keep it sealed.
- Token Religious Teammate: Temperance is very believing in opening oneself to Jesus as a way to find peace and balance in life.
Tomoko Marple Gisei
Ultimate Shogi Player
A Japanese/British girl with a standoffish disposition and a drive to survive. Was sitting with Madison in the opening ride.
She escaped alive.
- Ambiguously Evil: Gives off this vibe at times.
- Expy: Of Maki, in terms of being a non-evil (so far) standoffish girl.
- First Kiss: With Lachlan, surprisingly. He dies soon after.
- Not So Stoic: Has a temper, and is caught off-guard by Seikatsu's 'Death' persona. Comes off as The Stoic otherwise.
- Secret Keeper: Knows Laris is a woman, that Chloe is part of a mystery group in Paris, and that Seikatsu has a murderous personality in her.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Doesn't like working with the other students, but has to in the chess game.
- Trash Talk: Surprisingly engages in a hitherto uncharacteristic manner in the chess game against Yushikuma.
Ultimate Love Guru
A passionate and positive (not to mention tall) young woman. Was seated with Lachlan and Otto on the Despair Coaster.
She's found dead on day ten.
- The Matchmaker:
- Tries to talk to Tiana about her compatibility with Haruto.
- Believes that finding the best match for Madison will help boost her confidence.
- Nice Girl: She makes multiple attempts to calm people down and is, seemingly, earnest about wanting others to find a partner to make them happy.
- Pink Is Feminine: Her pink hair is a good sign of her caring nature.
- Statuesque Stunner: One of the tallest girls in the group.
An American girl. Carries around an aggressive doll that looks like her named 'Becky'.
- The Cynic: Neither seems to think much of the world around them.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Was bullied pretty much constantly as a child, and nearly killed a kid who tried to break Becky.
- Jerkass: Becky spends most of her time being rude to others, even 'Dolls' at points. Probably because she's running on Junko AI.
- Meaningful Name: Her name sounds like the word "doll", and her character is mainly attributed towards her ventriloquist doll, Becky.
- Misanthrope Supreme: Thinks people are generally cruel, though not usually to killing game standards. It's because of this she wants to turn the world's population into kuma dolls.
- Shrinking Violet: Dolly is very much this. Becky very much isn't. Real Dolly is a subversion.
- Split Personality: Becky doesn't seem to just be an act. And Dolly outright collapses like a limp puppet when separated from her. Might be subverted though.
The LosersThe other 80 potentials who were on the roller coaster at the start of the story. They didn't live long enough to reach the park.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: They die in the first chapter. At best, some of them get lines of dialogue and a mentioned gender beforehand. Their hearts were used to create the gray kumas running the park.
The KumasThe bears that run the districts of the park. Aside from the first two, they're all controlled by the Warriors of Hope.
All are wiped out by the end of the game.
- Big Bad Ensemble: The ones running the park's killing game.
- Brain Uploading: Well, heart uploading, apparently, but apparently the Warrior's of Hope transferred themselves into the kumas.
The owner of the park, directly managing the Amusement Park District. A foul-mouthed black bear with a gangster theme. Is run by a Junko AI, going by canon.
Killed during Laris' death game.
- It Amused Me: Says he's doing the Killing Game to avoid boredom. It might be a hint towards who is controlling him.
- Meaningful Name: 'Kurokuma' translates to 'black bear', like canon.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Has a potty mouth on him, and isn't shy about using it.
The white bear running the park's Resort District. Has a nicer disposition than his older brother. Also run by a Junko AI.
Decapitated by Laris.
- Meaningful Name: 'Shirokuma' translates to 'white bear', like canon.
- Token Good Teammate: Of the Kumas. Knowing canon, probably not.
The red bear running the Carnival District. Determined to keep anyone 18 or older out of his area on the threat of lion (named Simba, whom he can't actually control). Controlled by Masaru of the Warriors of Hope.
Destroyed during the Chess Death Game, which apparently also killed his controller.
- Dumb Jock: Not particularly bright, which screws him over in the chess game.
- The Leader: Self-proclaimed one for the Kuma Gang running the park. In reality, this is unlikely. Just like in canon.
- Meaningful Name: 'Yushikuma' translates to 'brave warrior bear'.
The blue bear running the Waterworld District. A no-nonsense bear with cat ears and a surfboard, he makes it clear he's no lifeguard. Controlled by Nagisa of the Warriors of Hope.
Is deactivated and falls of the island in the final trial.
- The Cynic: Doesn't think much of life, especially adults.
- Meaningful Name: 'Mizukuma' translates to 'water bear'.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Seems to think this when trying to explain safety regulations to Seikatsu, Dolly/Becky, and Shiho, only for them all to ignore him and act dangerously on the rides.
The bear running Spookyland District. He's dressed in a Grim Reaper outfit and fails to actually be spooky. Controlled by Jataro of the Warriors of Hope.
Is deactivated and falls of the island in the final trial.
- Meaningful Name: 'Sashikuma' translates to 'ritual bear'.
- Sinister Scythe: Wields one as part of his Grim Reaper costume.
The final bear, running both Tech Land and the Killing Game after the fifth Trial. She is a green bear upon a floating disk. She is controlled by Monaca Towa.
She is decapitated in the final chapter, having outlasted the real Mastermind and the other Warriors of Hope.
- Big Bad: Probably become this (and likely was always this). Except actually not, surprisingly. It's complicated.
- Final Boss: What she still manages to become, fighting Chloe and Seikatsu in the final chapter.
- Meaningful Name: 'Meijikuma' translates to 'magic bear'.
- Off with Her Head!: Is decapitated at the end.
The IntruderThe white-haired young man who has somehow infiltrated the park without the Kumas notice. Not on the side of the students. See the final section of the 'Others' folder for more details.
Abruptly killed (with heart removal) shortly after the second trial.
A crazy-eyed bear operating a park in Waterworld. Is actually the intruder following his heart (and with it, soul) being transferred into a kuma.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Leaves shortly after being introduced, having gotten what he wanted.
A handful of students from the Class 81 potentials. Currently trapped in a train in the Grim Up North of Siberia and Russia.
- I am a Humanitarian: They were all tricked into eating parts of the dead after the first trial, leading to one becoming a Wendigo. Might have been removed in the final version though.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: The final investigation exposes Makoto's clone status and Mukuro's past to the outside world, causing the public to lose faith in Future Foundation, riot in Tokyo, and possibly start up a new Tragedy.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Technically; the train is on a time limit. In one week's time, it will crash, killing everyone who is still on board.
Ultimate Soccer Player
Portrayed by Birb
A Japanese boy. Has a mechanical leg.
He escapes alive.
- Adorkable: Compared to his peers, he's especially dorky.
- An Arm and a Leg: Seems to be missing his left leg, although he compensates with a robotic prosthetic. He claims he got it from aliens. It's later revealed that he lost his family, and leg, in a car crash when he was young, leaving his chest horribly scarred as well as giving him PTSD.
- Break the Cutie: Several times throughout the game his PTSD is triggered, sending him through panic attacks and mental breakdowns. The worst ones are after seeing Angie's execution and after discovering the truth about his past.
- Butt-Monkey: His attempts to break open a wooden cabinet with a fire axe end in it harmlessly bouncing off and smacking him across the room, knocking him unconscious and later on Emziel uses him as a training dummy.
- Cyborg: Has a robotic leg.
- Expy: His creator claims he's somewhat one of Yosuke Hanamura from Persona 4.
- Precision F-Strike Drops one after discovering Ultimate Despair was responsible for the crash that took his leg and family, but also that his sister may not have been killed..
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Is afraid of fire and hospitals. This is due to PTSD over having survived a car crash, needing his leg amputated and leaving his chest horribly burned and scarred. Later, he has a breakdown when the latter (Being moved to the Infirmary) is mentioned while seeing the former (footage of Angie's execution).
Ultimate Shaolin Monk
Portrayed by Magus1108
An albino Chinese girl. She has an eyepatch where her left eye used to be.
Actually manages to escape the train early without killing anyone.
- All Amazons Want Hercules: She is initially attracted to Tonbe because he's physically fit and able to match her in sparring. Even more so when he is able to stand against The Raging Dragon.
- Berserk Button: Bringing up the destruction of her temple can lead to the Raging Dragon to being released.
- Challenge Seeker: Is very interested in finding people who appear strong enough to present a challenge to her.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Was declared an enemy of the state and had her home monetary destroyed. After going on the run was constantly attacked by soldiers, death squads and even citizens. She killed countless people because of the 'Raging Dragon'. After arriving in Japan she attempts life as a pacifist and learning to control the dragon.
- Rage Breaking Point: The Raging Dragon is something Yumei constantly tries to keep in check. She is even willing to try and kill Tonbe, whom she had come to truly care for.
- Ship Tease: Sleeps with Tonbe. Is devastated when he dies (for her sake), possibly leaving her pregnant.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Uses her short stature and rodes to hide her very muscular body.
- The Exile: Was sent into exile by the Chinese Communist Party and forced to abandon her temple.
Portrayed by PettyPunk
A boy from Barbados. Has a mohawk.
The culprit of the second case, albeit a sympathetic one. Also the last death of the game proper.
- Adorkable: His stuttering and social awkwardness mix well with his kind-hearted nature.
- Cannot Talk to Women: He stutters when talking to girls. He can still carry on conversations at least, just easily flustered.
- Dying Declaration of Love: Gives one to Yumei with his dying breath, before being swallowed up by magma.
- Face Death with Dignity: As he's executed, to The Conductor's displeasure.
- Gentle Giant: The largest member of the group? Check. Has a heart of gold? Check. Fighting a monster to save his Love Interest? Check!
- Hunk: Extremely tall, muscular and only wearing a vest as a top.
- Ship Tease: Strikes up a romance with Yumei. He fights a Wendigo to protect her, becoming a blackened in the process.
- Staring Down Cthulhu: For a guy who seems quite timid and fearful, when confronted with the Raging Dragon he stands his ground and is even able to hold his own for a good amount of the fight. Then he fights a Wendigo and kills it.
- Sympathetic Murderer: His whole motivation was saving his Love Interest from the train.
- Thanatos Gambit: His plan to save Yumei also puts the number of survivors low enough that the remaining three get to skip right to the end game trial. So he is the last death of the Railway of Despair.
- The Giant: He's nearly a foot taller and 55 pounds heavier than the next closest characters.
- What You Are in the Dark: After killing Sarah, Tonbe is approached by Akakuma about hiding his crime. He responds by saying his only interest is in saving Yumei and saying he will. Even after being strong armed into playing along, Tonbe still chooses to sacrifice himself to save the rest of the participants.
Ultimate Game Designer
Portrayed by Solrac XD
A Japanese girl. Knows games.
The killer of the first case.
- Fatal Flaw: A severe dislike of cold. When the first motive involves progressively lowering the temperature, she ultimately kills to make it stop.
- The Gad Fly: Delights in provoking others and making them uncomfortable with her quips and inquiries.
- It Amused Me: Seems to be her modus operandi, and thus she takes the killing game in stride as a result.
- Odd Friendship: Through their constant back-and-forth snarking, she develops a genuine friendship with the aloof Adohira.
- Shout-Out: Her last name, ethnicity, and talent are all one to the man who created Danganronpa to begin with.
Ultimate Wizard (Ultimate Marionettist)
Portrayed by Trust Me
A Japanese boy with a blue wizard hat and a large metal briefcase. He initially presents himself as the Ultimate Wizard, but upon Akazukin's reveal, reintroduces himself as the Ultimate Marionettist.
They escape alive but get stuck in the desert killing game.
- Bishounen: Combined with Unkempt Beauty.
- Companion Cube: He never goes anywhere without his briefcase and treats it with a unusual amount of tenderness. Later on, it is revealed that it houses his beloved porcelain doll, Akazukin.
- Deadpan Snarker: A sarcastic and fairly bitter one. This trait of his gradually begins to tone down after the first trial.
- Determined Defeatist: Is quite certain that they won't all survive the Railway of Despair, but is paradoxically determined to do whatever he can to keep them all alive, regardless.*
- Does Not Like Spam: Although he claims to not be a vegetarian per se, he's mentioned that "meat doesn't agree with [his] palate" and has avoided eating meat on every occasion. This helps him dodge a bullet in the original story when the passengers are served sandwiches made with the tainted flesh of Kazuko and Eline.
- Important Haircut: After the first trial, he trims down his prickly "emo bangs".
- Marionette Master: Has mentioned "implanting blades and violence... into [Akazukin's] hollow body," and is capable of moving Akazukin with an incredible degree of control.
- Nice Hat: Before he gifted Kazuko with it during her final moments, he used to always be seen wearing his wizard hat.
- Off the Rails: Reveals after the second trial that he has two of the three tickets needed to escape. He proposes someone surrender their ticket (dying in the process) while the one remaining person leaves as the default winner. No one takes the offer, but the lack of other participants means they move into the final investigation/trial phase immediately.
- Obvious Rule Patch: Has his "sleepover party" plan struck down by one, when the Kumas add a new temporary rule that prevents the passengers from sleeping together in the same room.
- Self-Surgery: One of his first acts on the train is to sew his ticket into the flesh of his arm. Later on, he does the same onto his chest with Kazuko's ticket. There's a reason why one of the bottles of alcohol in the kitchen is half empty.
- Sour Supporter: He started off as rather aloof and belligerent, but after the first trial, begins to make an effort to work with the others as a team. Funnily enough, he's even the one to suggest having a "sleepover... party?" when it seems like the Kumas are plotting to divide them.
- Thinking Out Loud: Does this frequently, whether he's alone or in the company of others. He also often uses the pronoun "we" when talking to himself, and it eventually becomes clear that he's one-sidedly conversing with the doll inside his briefcase.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Comes up with a solution to get two of the three survivors post-second trial off the train, at the cost of the life of the third. No one goes along with it.
Adohira's marionette. Is utterly devoted to her master.
Survives the train game with him, but ends up stuck in a desert as well.
- Covert Pervert: Beneath her elegant and courteous demeanor, Akazukin often finds herself distracted by fantasies of Adohira. She acts embarrassed whenever the word "maintenance" is brought up, but she takes great pleasure in the act. Adohira himself is unamused by all this.
- Naughty by Night: On Christmas Eve, Akazukin tied herself up with red ribbons and offered herself as a "present" to Adohira. Nothing more needs to be said.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Akazukin's single-minded devotion for her master thoroughly dominates her thoughts, and she depends on Adohira's love for her continued existence. Her love for him is well beyond "obsessive" in nature.
Portrayed by ThePLOThand
A Dutch Transwoman who sells drugs and other illegally-acquired goods. Was supposed to be reformed into an Ultimate Saleswoman.
Is the first to die on the train.
- Ambiguously Gay: The only indication to her orientation In-Universe is her offering 'Dyke' as an alternative Insult during the RP. It was later confirmed on the Discord server by Word of Saint Paul. Though she does inform Axel he is 'barking up the wrong tree', when he seems smitten with her and makes some suggestive comments towars Sarah, in the actual fic.
- The Aggressive Drug Dealer: Averted Trope ; apart from the fact that she is reforming, she is much more of a jokester than anything.
- Coat Full of Contraband: A Variation, it's a jacket rather than a trenchcoat and the bio doesn't specify what 'goods' it contains.
- Drugs Are Bad: Wonders if Sarah really needs any when asked for it.
- The Nicknamer: Captain Axel for Axel Ueda, considers Grandmaster one for Emizel.
- Reformed Criminal: As stated above, she was intended to be this.
- Skirt over Slacks: Wears a brown skirt over Grey Jeans.
- Sobriquet Sex Switch: Her original name was Elias.
- Transgender: Revealed as such by the bio.
- Wrong Insult Offence: Is more concerned that 'Drug Tranny' doesn't sound funny and even offers 'Drug Dyke' as an alternative.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Neon and light green, though one of them is through dyeing. It's the light green one.
Portrayed by JCW18
A Japanese boy who turned sixteen on the fourth day of the Railway of Despair. Cousin to a certain animal breeder.
He escapes alive alongside his rabbit Lucky.
- Badass Adorable: He tries to be perceived as a tough and strong warrior, but he's just too small and cute...
- Character Development: Undergoes this not long after the killing game starts. He learns very quickly that he is not as great and tough as he sees himself to be, and along with his growing affection for Axel, adopts a more mature attitude.
- Dark and Troubled Past: After Gundham departed for Hope's Peak, Emizel was forced to live on the streets before being abducted and used as a sex slave for several years. He eventually managed to escape after developing fire magic, and began hunting down and killing those who had used him. It is later revealed during the final investigation that Ultimate Despair was responsible.
- Expy: Is a light fusion of both Laharl and Emizel from the Disgaea series.
- Locked Out of the Loop: He seems unaware of the previous killing games. He's devastated to hear that his relative Gundham was a victim of the first one years ago.
- Passing the Torch: Before the last trial he goes to Tonbe's room and gives a bit of a speech to his dead 'Big Bro'. He asks for his help and a presence in the room uses one of the boy's old bandanas to comfort him. Emizel takes it as a sign that he has Tonbe watching over him and promises to finish the larger boy's plan to end the game.
- Straight Gay: Hints this to Axel during the first day. He later gets into a relationship with him.
- Transhumanism: Is turned into a monster in the updated version of the story, complete with bat wings.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: He only wears a scarf to cover his upper body. Averted, as Emizel begins wearing a shirt after the second trial.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Blue hair with a small cowlick on the top.
Ultimate Graffiti Artist
Portrayed by Sootythunder
An American girl. Kinda paranoid.
The second victim.
- A-Cup Angst: Is flat-chested, to her annoyance.
- Sinister Shiv: Upon waking up in an unfamiliar room littered with rubble, one of her first reactions is to fashion a shiv out of glass. She claims it's for self-defense.
- Street Smart: Her urban talent combined with her fairly abrasive, no-nonsense attitude has her coming across as this. Furthermore, her improvisations with both the shiv and the Russian military outfit showcase her practical nature.
- Wendigo: Is forcefully turned into one before dying.
Akakuma, The Conductor
The one running the killing game. Wears a diaper, for some reason. Is actually Jun Enoshima.
Leaves the train for parts unknown at the end.
- Meaningful Name: His name translates to 'baby bear'. Fitting, given the diaper.
Sabankuma, The Caretaker
The one who looks after the passenger's daily needs. A major Jerkass. Is actually Junko Enoshima.
Leaves the train for parts unknown at the end.
- Meaningful Name: His name translates to 'servant-bear'.
- The Nicknamer: Comes up with incredibly offensive ones for all of the passengers.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Makes assorted racist, homophobic, and generally insulting comments pretty much constantly. Considering who's controlling him, it actually sort of fits in a 'get a rise out of them' kinda way.
Hoshukuma, The Mechanic
The one who maintains the train. Slightly less annoying compared to Saban. Is actually Despair!Makoto.
Leaves the train for parts unknown at the end.
- Meaningful Name: His name translates to 'maintenance-bear'.
A group of young adults being considered for Hope's Peak Academy's 81st Class. Currently trapped in an underground prison.
A young woman with a temper.
Ultimate Shrine Maiden
Frieda Renner (AKA The Mistress of Berlin)
Ultimate Dungeon Master
Ultimate Street Vendor
Thalia 'Tally' Angelos
Ultimate Wax Sculptor
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Tries to discern things from the stars ... in an underground bunker with an artificial sky.
Ultimate Internet Star
Ultimate Synchronized Swimmer Lead
A young American girl who lost her friend in the opening violence.
A boisterous young woman.
A nervous young woman who refuses to interact with anyone.
- The Paranoiac: Is convinced the others will do her harm.
Ultimate Gothic Enthusiast
- Animal Motifs: Birds, specifically Pitohui birds. Fitting as said birds are known to be poisonous (fitting with his talent).
Ultimate Data Compiler
- Peek-a-Bangs: Always has his right eye covered.
Magnus "Thor" Hansen
The warden of the school.
Ultimates who were set to attend the School for Talented Students (a London-based school modeled off of Hope's Peak that uses the title of Premier) as it's 37th class, but became participants in the Central City killing game.
Premier ComedianA Japanese teen who is often far more serious than his talent would imply.
- Meaningful Name: His name translates to 'Bad joke'.
- So Unfunny, It's Funny: His jokes have been noted to be not that good, but Word of God had confirmed that it's his delivery that leaves people in stitches.
Premier Queen BeeA French teen with a mean and haughty attitude. Known for consistently bossing around others and acting superior to them. Has an intense rivalry with Zoey.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: Chloe is known for her beauty, and is indeed French.
- Expy: Her name, talent, ethnicity, appearance and attitude are exactly like that of Chloe Bourgeois.
- French Jerk: Chloe, who is French, definitely isn't the nicest person.
- Spoiled Brat: Chloe takes this trope and runs with it.
Abraham W. Roosevelt
Premier PoliticianA well-kept American who was invited to S.T.S. Assumed the role of unofficial leader of the trapped students.
- Meaningful Name: His name is an amalgamation of three former U.S. Presidents.
- The Leader: He assumes this role for the group.
Premier Rhythm Game PlayerA snappy French girl. Has an intense rivalry with Chloe.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: Like Chloe, Zoey is a beautiful French girl.
- Gamer Chick: Naturally, being a master of rhythm games.
Premier PsychologistA relaxed Japanese man who seems unfazed at most things. Known to chuckle and push his glasses up quite often. Is known to have somehow survived the Chateau Killing Game.
- Bishounen: Is quite good-looking, especially his eyelashes.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: A bespectacled young man and seems to be an amoral person.
- Lack of Empathy: Played With. He's the one least shocked at finding Hibiki's corpse(and later a pile of dead bodies) but he does at least try to sympathize with Adriana's motivations.
- Nerd Glasses: Is a psychologist and wears glasses.
Premier Ballroom DancerAn elegant, if not a bit sheltered, British girl.
- Afraid of Blood: Collapses at the sight of Hibiki's body and later admits to Zoey that she doesn't do well around blood.
- Dances and Balls: Attends these a lot given her talent.
Premier ChefA friendly, if not a bit socially awkward, Japanese teen. Loves to cook for everyone.
He is the first to die, found dead on the morning of the second day.
- Supreme Chef: As expected of the Ultimate Chef.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: He is killed early on in the game, as well as getting little screentime compared to the others.
Premier KunoichiA timid Japanese girl. Often stumbles on her words and needs to use her mask to calm herself down.
- Meaningful Name: Her name translates to "Snow White"
- Secret Keeper: Is one of the two to first find out about the Hostages Folder and hide it from the others, along with Jacen.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is naturally black, but it is dyed white.
Premier BarberA well-meaning Australian teen. Does nearly anything asked of him, even if it was meant as a joke.
- Badass Mustache: Has a handlebar mustache.
- Just Following Orders: Threw a chair across the wall after hearing Chloe mention it.
Premier RapperA fun-loving and energetic Brazilian girl who is always down to bust a rhyme. Beneath this lies a psychopathic girl who kills without hesitation.
She is the culprit of the first case.
- Alliterative Name: Adriana Andrade.
- Parental Abandonment: She was left on a street corner before she turned five years old. Had to kill and steal to get by.
Premier MetalworkerA happy-go-lucky Japanese boy with a passion for his talent and other metal-related facts. He is also hopelessly socially naive, and doesn't pick up on social cues like others would.
- Adorkable: Will constantly babble on about things related to metalworking, such as forks or domed buildings.
- Skilled, but Naïve: Is very good at what he does, but is hopelessly naive when it comes to social situations.
- Ultimate Blacksmith: As expected of the Ultimate Metalworker.
Premier DuelistAn energetic Swedish girl with a flair for the dramatic. Known to constantly pester Matt to duel her.
- Nice Hat: Wears a hat similar to those of the 18th Century Swedish Military. She tends to pull the tip down in dramatic fashion.
- Sword and Gun: Carries both a dueling rapier and a pistol.
Premier SwordsmanA Japanese teen who tends to keep to himself, despite constantly being pestered by Caroline.
- Master Swordsman: As expected of the Ultimate Swordsman.
Premier Teacher's AssistantA sharp-minded Japanese girl.
- Death Glare: Has been known to give quite a few of these, most notably towards Aiger.
- Mega Twintails: Her hair is noted to be fashioned into a pair of these.
- Straight Gay: Is known to be in a relationship with Kanemoto Mizuki, a girl who is a participant in the First Hora Island Killing Game.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has icy white hair.
Premier WriterA nice and well-meaning Irish boy.
- Monochromatic Eyes: He's described as having pure white eyes.
- Secret Keeper: Is one of the two to first find out about the Hostages Folder and hide it from the others, along with Shirahime.
Premier ArcherA pleasant and friendly Swedish girl.
Assorted students from different talent schools around the globe.
Super High School Level FloristA Japanese girl from the World Institute of Talent, located on an island controlled by the UN.
- First-Person Smartass: When she doesn't speak her mind.
- Tiny School Boy: Gender Inverted. She's the shortest member of the cast with the height of 4'7 ft.
Ultimate Electronic MusicianA Japanese boy who was scouted to attended Hope's Peak before the Tragedy.
- Nice Guy: He's one of the kinder characters.
Gifted Kenjutsu PractitionerA Japanese girl from Victoria Academy for the Gifted in Spain.
- Flash Step: using 'Hayate', a modified version of Shukuchi.
- Master Swordsman: As shown when she actually beats Yu, an assassin, in a sparring match.
Super Inmate Level Mafia BossAn Italian girl from the Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles.
- Red Baron: Queen of Retribution
- Tiny School Boy: Gender Inverted. She's the second shortest of the cast, standing at only 4'11" tall.
Super Duper High School Event PlannerA Japanese boy from Mikado Academy.
Elite Mountain ClimberA Russian girl from Versailles Academy. Is actually from a lower class upbringing, but got to Versailles anyway thanks to her sponsor.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her father was killed by a bear she accidentally ran into.
- Huge School Girl: She's the tallest female in the cast at 5'10".
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She's afraid of bears and suffers a panic attack whenever she sees one.
Paramount NinjaA Japanese girl from Mochizuki Premier Academy.
Paramount Escape ArtistA Japanese boy, also from Mochizuki Premier Academy.
- Chuunibyou: Acts as he does as a defense mechanism.
Supreme ChocolatierA Kansas girl from the American school Hope Hills Preparatory Academy.
David "Dave" Hayes
Epitome BassistA British boy from Bright Sky Academy.
- Friendless Background: he didn't have friends due to his aggressive nature in the past.
Ace BakerAn American boy from Skyline Academy.
Naomi 'Nao' Yamazaki
Master EnigmatologistA Japanese girl from Imperial Leading High School. Kinda bitchy, but sensible when it comes to heel height.
- Berserk Button: Being called 'cute'.
- Jerkass: Gives Haruka a complicated metal loop puzzle and only a minute to solve it. When Haruka fails to solve it, Naomi proceeds to mock her for failing to solve it.
- Ship Tease: Seems to like Kasuka.
Spectacular AssassinA Japanese boy from Chikara Academy for Spectacular Students.
- Tragic Mistake: a variant. Yu was just a normal boy until he got lost and talked to the wrong person. It spiraled after that.
Brilliant ActressA Japanese girl from Brilliant Shining Star Preparatory Academy.
S-Class Crime Scene Investigator
A Japanese boy from Winter's Crest Academy.
The first victim of the killing game.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Dressed in all black and is the one most determined to keep all of the occupants alive.
A Japanese boy from STS.
Presumably survives this game, leading to his appearance in Central City.
- Alliterative Name: Kasuka Kagami.
- Foregone Conclusion: That he survives this Killing Game, due to his appearance in Central City.
- Idiot Hair: He has one here. He loses it Central City
- The Gadfly: Likes riling up people. Particularly Naomi.
Klara Lantsov / K1 4R4
Former Ultimate MekhanizmA Russian AI made during World War II. Originally meant to be a robot. Currently resides inside Kasuka's cell phone.
- Grew Beyond Their Programming: Was originally designed for war, but she managed to grow beyond that.
ŌkumaThe self-proclaimed 'king' of the Château, and face of the killing game.
- Meaningful Name: his name translates to 'king bear'.
The students of a Canadian talent school. They are known as S-Class students.
S-Class Bad LuckA brash and vulgar young man that has a strong dislike towards his bad luck.
- Butt-Monkey: The fact that his talent is all about his luck doesn't help his case.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Tries to have one, but it backfires on him greatly, courtesy of William.
- Idiot Hair: Has one that looks deflated.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His bangs cover his right eye.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Is not shy about swearing constantly, considering his bad luck.
- Nice Hat: Wears a fedora.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has navy blue and candy red hair, which is mixed with black, his natural hair color.
- Cool Mask: Wears a hockey mask over his face.
S-Class Erotic Moviestar
- Punny Name: His full name sounds like 'missionary style'.
S-Class Candy Maker
- Tiny School Boy: Is the shortest of the male students, standing at 5'0" ft.
S-Class Rocket Surgeon
S-Class Web Developer
- Ship Tease: Gets some with Naoko.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has blue tips on his white hair.
- Shipper on Deck: Outright asked Naoko and James if they were dating, much to their surprise.
- Keet: Shows shades of it in his introduction.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has silver hair.
Marcus Decimus Magnus VI
S-Class Cult Leader
S-Class ???A polite, but seemingly mysterious girl who prefers to keep her talent hidden.
- Crush Blush: One of her first reactions when meeting James.
- Idiot Hair: Has one in the shape of a question mark.
- Meganekko: Wears glasses and is cute as a button.
- Sempai/Kohai: Often refers to others as senpai, even the non-Japanese students.
- Ship Tease: Gets some with James, usually on her end.
- Nice Hat: Wears a tricorn hat.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade-A
- Nice Girl: Comforts Henry and allows him to cry into her chest.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has champagne pink hair.
- Berserk Button: Apparently, her flowerpots being defecated on is this for her, as Aina found out.
- Tiny School Boy: Gender Inverted. Is the shortest of the female students, standing at 4'9" ft. She is also the shortest of the overall cast.
S-Class Magical Girl
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has purple hair.
- Boyish Short Hair: Sports a pixie cut, adding more to her boyish appearance.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Is implied to have been mistaken for a boy before.
S-Class J-Rock Vocalist
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has silver hair.
S-Class Spiritual Healer
- Deadpan Snarker: Is basically her default tone.
- The Stoic: Rarely changes her expressions.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has violet red hair.
S-Class Figure Skater
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has this, combined with some silver streaks.
- Bare Your Midriff: Wears a crop top that exposes a good amount of her stomach, including her navel.
S-Class ServantA non-binary individual in a gas mask.
A group of people trapped inside a maze.
Lucille Du Carde
Ultimate Formula-1 Racer
Katherine "Kitty" Roberts
Ultimate Lion Tamer
- Fluffy Tamer: Tamed a lot of feline predators except for bobcats (which she loathes for some reason).
A twelve year old girl.
- Alliterative Name: Yui Yukimura.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She stated that she has killed people to survive.
- The Stoic: Doesn't emote much.
A young woman with a magical girl-style outfit.
An 18-year-old American girl with a desire to keep children safe.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Lost several children, including a toddler that called her 'mama', and her prens during the Tragedy.
Former Ultimate Train Conductor
A Hope's Peak graduate. Very short.
- Berserk Button: Being mistaken for a kid due to how young she looks.
A young British woman that was turned into an Elf during Saino's strike on London.
- Abusive Parents: Her mother never made time for her, and practically disowned her after she was turned into an Elf.
- Our Elves Are Different: She was created by science (technically) for one thing.
Rafaela "Redslash" Frenzel
A foul-mouthed young woman.
- Artificial Limbs: Has a cybernetic arm with sharp claws and can additionally turn into a saw-like blade.
- Not in Front of the Kid: She was scolded by Minemi and Yoshi.
Is killed in chapter 7.
Ultimate Tapestry Weaver
A young woman who was turned into a spider-centaur in London.
Is murdered by Cadoc in chapter 6.
- Driven to Suicide: Tried to pull this during her transformation. Didn't work, but it left scars.
- Mortality Phobia: She really doesn't want to die.
- Nice Girl: Gets along well with the others.
- Taking You with Me: Pulls this on Cadoc.
A four-year-old boy found stuck in the maze.
- Cool Toy: Has a teddybear named Snowball.
- The Password Is Always "Swordfish": The code used to get into Hideki's room was 0-3-0-3, which is his birthday; March 3rd (03/03).
- Token Mini-Moe: Is the youngest among the group of twenty-two, at the age of four.
Gilbert Robbins (aka Sir Blaze)
Is killed in Chapter 7.
Ultimate Fireworks Enthusiast
Takeshi "Keshi" Abe
Ultimate Combat Medic
A member of the Future Foundation.
Ultimate Artificial Lifeform
A member of the Future Foundation.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He has killed in his past in order to survive.
- Good Twin: Compared to his brother.
- Heart Light: He has an electromagnet in his chest to, what seems like, act like his heart.
- Identical Twin Mistake: He was mistaken for his brother, Dylan.
- Shout-Out: To Tony Stark AKA Iron Man because of his name and the fact he has an electromagnet in his chest, similar to Stark's Arc Reactor.
Former Ultimate Mngwa
A graduate from Hope's Peak Academy.
Is killed in chapter seven.
- Cat Folk: Got turned into a big cat, formally called a Mngwa.
- The Mole: Revealed to be this in chapter six.
- One Degree of Separation: Is Kitai's cousin.
A Trans-Male New Zealander.
- We Used to Be Friends: He seems to know about Garland Everglade who Gemma wants to meet again. In fact, it's most likely that he was born with that name before he transitioned.
An eight-year-old American boy.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Has stolen before to survive.
- Neural Implanting: He had a seizure, caused by an implant in his neck.
Heikki "Henry" Ruutikainen
Former Ultimate Rescuer
A Hope's Peak graduate who never actually attended.
- An Arm and a Leg: Had to cut through his ankle, so he could get out of the chains.
- Cool Mask: Wears a plague doctor mask.
- Split Personality: Has one with a dangerous edge to it.
Ultimate Strongman (self-proclaimed 'Supreme Strongman')
An arrogant former classmate of Christel's who had trouble taking no for an answer from the girls. Has been turned into a Minotaur and set to kill the others.
Killed by Arachne fairly early on.
- The Heavy: The most obvious threat to the group. For a few chapters.
- Hero Killer: Kills Arachne. She returns the favor.
The one who controls the maze.
- Big Bad: of the story.
A group of talented students stuck on an oil rig to be trained into 'proper soldiers of Despair'.
Ultimate Naval Commander
The captain of the Novoselician ship RNN Peletier.
- Emotionless Girl: Seems to be this so far.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Actually seems to enjoy a brutal 'training session' the trainees are subjected to.
A Native American girl.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: She's from the same tribe as Chase.
Anastasia Katrina Klevorick
Latia 'Lala' Cappuchi
Ultimate Innovative Coffee Maker
Ultimate SCP Researcher
An older man who's part of a certain foundation.
- Oh, Crap!: When seeing an SCP that releases man-eating ants.
Ultimate Ice Sculptor
Wolfgang Amadeus Von Schwarz
Roman Callum Pearce
Ultimate Treasure Hunter
Cardinal-Major Pietro Lombardi
- Dark and Troubled Past: Used to be the Professional Chef. Joined the Church after being one of four survivors of the Killing Games that destroyed his school.
Ultimate Voice Actor
Has been turned into a harpy. Scares easily.
Super Duper High School Level Shaolin Warrior
Has become a humanoid crow.
Erick James Matthews
Ace Battle Royale Player
The drill instructor for the boot camp. Is an anthropomorphic duck.
- Nothing but Skin and Bones: Considering he's just 66 lbs...
- Cool Pet: She has an African giant millipede named Arcelio that normally hangs on her shoulders.
- Friend to Bugs: Especially true, considering her talent.
- Super Wheelchair: She uses an electric wheelchair that comes with a small keyboard to help her communicate.
- The Voiceless: Ayeka doesn't speak verbally. At all.
Perfect Number Theorist
Perfect Artificial Intelligence Specialist
- Walking Shirtless Scene: He's often seen without a shirt on.
Ysandro De La Cruz
Perfect Animal Behaviorist
Leonidas Krzysiek Ardeshir Dimitri Khorasani
Song Aisin Gioro
The bear of the game.
- Meaningful Name: It means radiation bear. Fittingly.