All examples found in songs are here!
- In America's A Horse with No Name, the singer feels the need to point out that "The heat was hot."
- Avril Lavigne, "Sk8er Boi". "He was a boy she was a girl/can I make it anymore obvious?"
- For some reason, The Beach Boys make a point of mentioning in the chorus of Little Saint Nick that "Christmas comes this time each year."
- The Beatles, in "Come Together", gave us such enlightening information as "He's got feet down below his knees" and "One and one and one is three". You don't say.
- They gained the grand prize for this trope in "All You Need Is Love", in which everything except the "all you need is love" sentiment is basically saying "anything that humans are able to do, humans can do."
Nothing you can do that can't be done, nothing you can sing that can't be sung
- In concerts, to introduce the song "I Cum Blood," Corpsegrinder says "this song is about shooting blood out of your cock."
- David Bowie's 2013 single "Where Are We Now?" features the line "the moment you know, you know you know". It makes sense, given the tone of the overall song, but still sounds remarkably obvious when its actually said aloud.
- So Yesterday by Hilary Duff states that "If the light is off, then it isn't on" and "You can change your clothes (if you wanna)". No, really?
- Jonathan Coulton in "Betty and Me", on the subject of genetically engineered children:
And although it was expensive, it was legal in the states where it wasn't banned.
- Daniel Amos's "Autographs for the Sick" (from Doppelgänger) starts off with several voices speaking foreign-sounding gibberish and an interpreter translating into English. At the end, one of the voices just sings a line in English, and the interpreter helpfully translates that, too. And then:
Speaker #4: Hahaha...
Interpreter: Ha ha ha.
[three drum beats]
Interpreter: Dit dit doo.
- Gloryhammer - "Gloryhammer"
Galaxies swarming behind me
Nebulas lying ahead
This can only mean...
That I have arrived into space
- Lee Ann Womack's song "Liars Lie", after catching her lover trying to lie, the narrator sings:
"Losers lose, winners win/ Cheaters cheat, sinners sin/ Dreamers dream, cryers cry/Fools believe, and Liars Lie"
- Lil Wayne seems to like being Captain Obvious. For example, in I Can Transform Ya he says, "I Can Transform Ya/ Like a Transformer". In Mrs. Officer the guy singing the chorus sings, "I can make you say, Wee-ooh-wee-ooh-wee, Wee-ooh-wee-ooh-wee" and Lil Wayne chimes in with, "Like a cop car".
- Los Bravos helpfully informs us, "Black is Black".
- The background singers in Manfred Mann's "The Mighty Quinn" at one point carol, "We're singin' a song!"
- In the music video for Thriller, we have Michael Jackson's statement "I'm not like other guys." Even a "Funny Aneurysm" Moment considering everything that happened to his private life next.
- The Postal Service's "We Will Become Silhouettes:"
"Until our shells simply cannot hold / All our insides in, and that's when we'll explode... / And it won't be a pretty sight."
- In Radiohead's "The Numbers", Thom Yorke tells us "the future is inside us/it's not somewhere else".
- The viral YouTube video of Rebecca Black's song Friday withholds any traces of instinct to take the song seriously.
Yesterday was Thursday/ Today it is Friday/ Tomorrow is Saturday/ And Sunday comes afterwards...
- The Simon & Garfunkel song "The Boxer", when performed in concert, usually includes an extra verse that contains the line: "I'm older than I once was and younger than I'll be. That's not unusual." Is this a lampshade or an intensifier?
- Songs to Wear Pants To wrote a theme song for this character: "Captain Obvious to the rescue! / Captain Obvious: he will state the obvious".
- In "Total Trash," Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth insists "it's a natural fact that I'm not no cow."
- The chorus of Bowling Ball by Superchic[k]: "You need that boy like a bowling ball dropped on your head, which means not at all."
- Talking Heads' lyrics tend to be full of this; it ends up working to their advantage in some weirdly inexplicable way. Are you aware, for instance, that "there is water at the bottom of the ocean"?
- "Older" by They Might Be Giants. The whole song, but epitomized in:
Tiiiime! [Boom! Boom!] Is marching on! [Boom! Boom!] And tiiiime! [Boom!] [Beat
] Is still marching on!
- Turisas's "To Holmgard and Beyond" gives us this enormously helpful elaboration in the spoken-word bridge:
Threads of different lengths. Some longer, some shorter.
- In "Bad" by U2, Bono sings at the top of his lungs, "I'M WIDE AWAKE! I'M WIDE AWAKE! I'M WIDE AWAKE!" then softly croons the brilliant corollary, "I'm not sleeping." Yes, I gathered that.
- "Weird Al" Yankovic's "Albuquerque".
- That's when I knew it was true love!
- Likewise, his song "You Don't Love Me Anymore", in which he expresses that he gets the impression his significant other, well, doesn't love him anymore, citing reasons for his suspicions such as poisoning him, holding up a knife, putting piranhas in his bath again, etc.
- The song "All or Nothing'' by Whitesnake includes the line "My heart is burning/And the fire is hot".
- 2 Chainz. There are so many examples, but let's just go with the most famous one:
- The classic '60s love song Baby I'm Yours (first recorded by Barbara Lewis) has the narrator say that he/she is "yours" until a number of impossible events happen (until the stars fall from the sky, until 2+2 is 3), then helpfully elaborate "In other words, until I die/the end of time/eternity."
- Forever Young from the second Care Bears movie includes the line, "You'll be with me until/The sun shines through the night./It never will."
- Clearly someone's never been to the North Pole.
- "Foolish Questions"
- In the chatter at the beginning of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On", it sounds like someone is saying "this is a new recording". (It's actually "this is a groovy party")
- The last line of "If I Had $1,000,000" by Barenaked Ladies:
If I had a million dollars,
I'd be rich!
- (barring massive hyperinflation)note
The Culture Club
song "Time (Clock Of The Heart)", has as the first lyric of its chorus "Because time won't give me time.
" Ya don't say