Zokkomon is a 2011 Bollywood superhero movie released by Disney. An orphaned boy is sent to live with his greedy and ill-intentioned uncle and attend his miserable school full of abusive staff until one day, he is abandoned and falsely reported as dead in order to claim his inheritance. Eventually, he develops a heroic persona to aid the town's children and put a stop to his uncle's misdeeds.
Zokkomon contains examples of:
- Crocodile Tears: Deshraj and his wife feign sorrow at the "death" of Kunal.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Magic Uncle first appears to be a strange and terrifying man. In reality, he turns out to be a failed scientist named Dr. Vivek Rai who took up a residence in the "haunted house". He also helps Kunal plot to get even with his uncle using science.
- Dirty Coward: Shantaram (who regularly threatens/abuses his students at the slightest provocation) runs off in terror at the first glance of Zokkomon and fears him since.
- Evil Uncle: Deshraj.
- Foreshadowing: Kunal bravely defies his friend's warnings not to go into the haunted house due to his lack of belief in superstition and comes out fine. This comes in handy later on when Kunal becomes Zokkomon and successfully convinces the townsfolk to think more rationally. With Vivek's aid, no less.
- Good Is Not Nice: Magic Uncle (Dr. Vivek Rai) is quite a bitter Jerkass but he helps Kunal empower the town's children against Deshraj.
- Inheritance Murder: Somewhat downplayed. Deshraj doesn't seek to directly kill Kunal, but abandon him somewhere and claim he died just to claim his inheritance. Although, were it not for Kittu, he likely would've died anyway.
- Laser-Guided Karma: The school staff are spooked by Zokkomon and rebelled against at his encouragement. On top of that, Deshraj is arrested off-screen and jailed for his crimes at the ending.
- Sadist Teacher: Shantaram's not above inflicting corporal punishment but that's not all he does. In his Establishing Character Moment, he taunts Kunal like he's ready to smack him but doesn't and instead laughs about it (which the class and even Kunal himself go along with)... only to smack him seconds later.
- Would Hurt a Child: Shantaram (and the other teachers as well) have zero compunctions about threatening the schoolchildren with violence. Early in the movie, he actually smacks Kunal in the face simply for correcting his mistake when teaching English.