Kuch Kuch Hota Hai or Something Happens is a Karan Johar's debut film starring Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol and Rani Mukherji. It was seen as a rebuttal to another popular hit named Dil To Pagal Hai that contended that friendship and love were different and could never overlap. This movie's main message, in contrast, was that love can blossom from friendship. Known for its Ear Worm, hit jodi of Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol and being very very sappy.
Rahul and Anjali are best friends in St Xavier's College. Tina, a transfer student from Oxford, arrives and being very beautiful, catches Rahul's attention. Anjali starts to get jealous and realizes that she is falling in love. But unfortunately for her, Rahul has eyes only for Tina and she leaves in the middle of the term, unable to take it. Rahul and Tina get married and have a kid. Tina dies after the pregnancy and leaves a set of letters that reveal what happened to the eight year old daughter who vows to fix up her father with his long lost best friend.
TV Tropes include:
- Almost Kiss: Happens with Rahul and Tina
- Bare Your Midriff
- Beautiful All Along: Anjali.
- Betty and Veronica: Anjali is the Betty and Tina is the Veronica to Rahul's Archie.
- Taken a step further. Karan Johar has explicitly confirmed that the movie is directly inspired by Archie comics, down to Mr. Malhotra, Tina's father and the college principal, being based on Mr. Weatherbee, besides the main love triangle.
- Birth/Death Juxtaposition: The movie starts with the birth of Anjali and the death of her mother Tina.
- Break Up Song: Cue "Tujhe Yaad Na Meri Aayi"
- Fanservice: Lots.
- One instance is during the song "Yeh Ladki Badi Anjaani Hai" when the wind blows Anjali's sari open, making her bare her stomach.
- There's a required Wet Sari Scene, with a girl dressed in her soaking wet sari.
- First Love: Rahul for Anjali and Tina for Rahul
- Gratuitous English: Hoo boy...
- Happy Rain: The girl in wet sari happens to love the rain that soaks her.
- High School Rocks: Technically they're supposed to be at a college, but otherwise they fit.
- Hot for Teacher: Mrs Briganza.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Why Anjali leaves Rahul to Tina and why Aman leaves Anjali to Rahul.
- Love Hurts: And how! Cue Song Tujhe Yaad Na Meri Aayi, Kissi Se Aab Kya Kehna roughly translated as You did not remember me, what's left for me to say?
- Nice Guy: Aman. He even makes Anjali marry Rahul instead of him on his wedding day even though he loves Anjali a lot because he knows that Anjali loves Rahul.
- Papa Wolf: Exploited. Anjali pretends to be ill in order to lure Rahul to the camp she is staying.
- Power of Love: Movie ends happily because of this
- Sad Bollywood Wedding: Anjali's almost- wedding to Aman.
- Sexy Soaked Shirt: Actor Shah Rukh Khan's character gets soaked. See it here.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Anjali and Tina
- Train-Station Goodbye: When Anjali leaves Rahul to Tina. Includes a Please Don't Leave Me by Rahul.
- Two Girls and a Guy: Tina, Anjali, and Rahul
- Why Waste a Wedding?: When Aman realizes that Anjali is in love with Rahul, he makes them marry in the same wedding ceremony that was supposed to be his and Anjali's wedding.