Don 2 is a Bollywood film which is the sequel to the 2006 film Don: The Chase Begins Again, which was a remake of a 1970's Bollywood classic. Directed by Farhan Akhtar and starring Shah Rukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra, it is one of Bollywood's more successful attempts to emulate similar movies in the West. It is stylishly written, well directed and (mostly) well acted.
Tropes associated with Don 2 include:
- Action Girl: Roma.
- Adorkable: Sameer is a nice, polite young hacker who only gets involved with Don's scheme because he's got a baby on the way and needs the money. He's so far out of his element that during one of the strategy meetings, he raises his hand to ask a question, like a school student.
- Affably Evil: One of the most important plot points of the film is the fact that despite Don being a jerk, he still manages to impress us. Also a case of Villain Protagonist.
- Catchphrase: It isn't difficult to catch me, it's impossible.
- Chase Scene: And a rather lengthy one at that.
- The Chessmaster: Again, it's Don. He spends the whole movie manipulating the characters, turning them against each other, only to get away with everything, wiping all evidence of a crime being committed. Not only is there no evidence, in the eyes of the police, there isn't even a crime. The only thing left at the end of the movie is one rich bastard.
- Dumb Muscle: Jabber is large and strong, but not terribly bright.
- Enemy Mine: In order to escape prison, Don forms an unlikely alliance with his old enemy Vardhaan.
- Evil Laugh: The titular character is very fond of this trope.
- Evil vs. Evil: In the third act, Jabber and Vardhaan betray Don, and lacking his patience or planning, they plan to get away with their crimes by killing hostages and blowing up the DZB, and thus Interpol reluctantly enlists Don's help to free the hostages and defuse the bombs.
- Fatal Family Photo: Subverted; Despite the absurd number of times that Sameer keeps looking at the photo of his girlfriend on his laptop, and despite the fact that he rats out Don to the police, he survives to the end of the movie. Because his betrayal of Don was part of the act.
- Karma Houdini: Don.
- Stupid Evil: Jabber has to constantly be reigned in by Vardhaan so that he doesn't ruin their plans with his temper.
- Too Clever by Half: In the third act, Vardhaan manages to betray Don, but realizes too late that without Don, he has no way of getting out of the DZB alive.