The Sturgeon Awards is a blog owned by troper Captain Cook. Like the Darwin Award, which chronicle people who did a service to humanity by removing themselves from the gene pool, The Sturgeon Awards chronicles the worst junk on the Internet. Given Sturgeon's Law, there's a lot to tear up. Also, visitors can contribute reviews.
Unlike most other reviewers, CC prefers to rip at just about anything, especially areas prone to showing Sturgeon's Law.
Not to be confused with the Theodore Sturgeon Awards.
This blog provides examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative: Not surprising, given the nature of the site.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Used in the Twilight fans review.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: The creator's view on The Message Bible.
- Bowdlerize: Captain Cook tries to avoid profanity in his posts, attempting to get his point across with snarkiness instead.
- Brain Bleach: The creator's response to Agony In Pink.
- Self-Deprecation: One of the custom corollaries applies Sturgeon's Law to the blog posts.
- Sturgeon's Law: Should be obvious.
- Take That!: One award is given to Twilight Fan Dumb fans.
- Understatement: One comment made of Agony in Pink reads, "It's not a very pleasant reading."