- Hey, I'm Jeanette. I'm starting this blog because what the hell, the world needs more awesome and I am that.
- Jeanette's first post
Jeanette Cotton lives in a moderately sized city in the midwest. Her best friend is Tara Tillinghast and both are set to graduate high school pretty soon.
And then something strange happens. At a slumber party, one of the students breaks down about being stalked by 'HIM' and that HE is right outside. Jeanette goes to get rid of him...and meets something with a smile wider than his face and eyes that are "wrong." Something she calls the Smiling Man.
Soon, things go from bad to worse and Jeanette goes on the hunt: wherever the Smiling Man goes, she will follow, she will find him, and she will kill him.
If only he would stay dead...
The Jeannette Experience is a blog written by GraciousVictory. It was not originally set in The Fear Mythos, but was later incorporated into it. It is known for its snarky dialogue, twisty plot, and badass characters.
- Action Girl: Jeanette.
- Anachronic Order: The beginning of the blog is straightforward, but then it skips from January to June. Jeanette slowly gives the posts from what happened between those months while also providing information about what she's doing now.
- Blind Seer: Penny Balisong's whole schtick.
- Buxom Is Better: From this post from Chelsea:ALSO I AM THANKFUL FOR JEANETTE'S AMAZING RACKSERIOUSLY IT'S LIKE GOD KNEW SHE WOULD BE THIS TOMBOY GOTH COWBOY AND SAID, "LET THERE BE TITS" AND THEY WERE GOOD.
- Canon Immigrant: The blog started independent of the Fear Mythos, but has been integrated into the world.
- Chess Motifs: Penny Balisong is fond of these.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Jeanette is fond of these.
- Genre Deconstruction: Arguably, of the slasher genre. The basic plot is the same one seen in most slasher films: An immortal serial killer murders a bunch of teenagers. In actuallity, the story ends up subverting most of the common slasher tropes, while playing others stright. You have a competent female protagonist who is more than willing to use guns against the villain and the police actually do their job (as well as they can, dealing with an immortal monster), while the villains immortality is exaggerated to the point where killing him is less of a setback than it is to Jason.
- Eye Scream: Vanessa has her eyes burned out of their sockets by the Smiling Man and later Jeanette's right eye is destroyed by him as well. (Not to mention Penny going blind due to him.)
- Eyepatch of Power: Jeanette ends up wearing one due to the Smiling Man.
- Gone Horribly Right: The Smiling Man was brought about by a conscious attempt to make something like the Slender Man. It works a bit too well as far as some of its creators are concerned.
- Handicapped Badass: Penny Balisong. Blind, yet badass.
- Humanoid Abomination: The Smiling Man. And, more recently, the Things With Dead Eyes That Used to Be Men.
- Ironic Echo: "As Long As I Am Alive"
- Lemony Narrator: Jeanette occasionally makes fun of her younger self's writing (calling it "too teenagery"). Keep in mind that this is her younger self by half a year.
- Meaningful Name: Penny Balisong deliberately chose her name (although her sister doesn't care either way what name people call her).
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Penny Balisong
- Sealed Evil in a Can: The Smiling Man was supposedly stuck in Penny's mind before she let him loose. She tries to prevent this happening again with "King," but fails.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Well, they aren't in school any longer, but Jeanette and Chelsea eventually do get together.
- Lady Swearsalot: Guess.
- Slasher Smile: The Smiling Man. In fact, it's wider than his face.
- Tarot Motifs: Jeanette is referred to as the Queen of Swords more than once. There's also the Jack of Thorns. Also the Queen of Cups and all of Penny Balisong's entries.
- This extends to the more antagonistic characters Ace/King/Ten/King.