Texts from Superheroes is a comedy blog focused around images of texts between various superheroes (generally comics from Marvel and DC, though movie-verse jokes are made as well), and occasionally characters from other fiction. It's expanded into also doing sketches. The blog makes fun of characters, concepts and various other aspects of superhero comics/movies. Certainly worth a read, even if you aren't that knowledgeable about superhero comics. Find it here. The creators also have a Youtube channel entitled Sketch From Superheroes.
- 419 Scam: Thor fell for one, to Iron Man's dismay.
- Actually Pretty Funny:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Tony manages to make Cyber Monday sentient, "and it is pissed about these deals!"
- The Alcoholic: One of the earliest jokes was about Iron Man's drinking habit.
- All Myths Are True: According to Doctor Strange, every religion is right... except Scientology. "Not even close."
- Almighty Mom: Gender-flipped. Thor would rather that Tony make a Thor-buster armor as a contingency plan in case Thor goes rogue, rather than call his father Odin◊.
- Ambiguously Gay: Mr. Terrific has a weird obsession with balls.
- Arbitrary Skepticism:
- Armor-Piercing Response: Batman texting the wrong person turns into one of these:
- Awesome Aussie: Subverted, in that Captain Boomerang is actually from Brooklyn — he really liked Crocodile Dundee, though.
- Bedlam House: Harley and Bane discuss Arkham.
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: Or rather Jesus is a mutant, implied to be Wolverine of all people assuming Cable isn't trolling.
- Blackmail: How Rip Hunter got Captain Cold to join his team.
- Blunt "Yes": Robin's response to an obvious question.
- Bothering by the Book: Cap is really reluctant to help Iron Man on account of the Sokovia accords. Until...Tony: You were right, okay?! You were right! Just get out here! Please.
Steve: Did that hurt?
Tony: Even more than getting punched by the giant purple guy. Which hurt a lot! Bring band-aids.
- Brain Bleach: Supergirl agrees to take a quick look into every building in the city to find a bomb, and sees some things she wishes she hadn't.Supergirl: I need to fly through the sun and clean my eyeballs.
- Butterface: The term itself is never actually used, but Poison Ivy seems to think that Swamp Thing fits the description◊.
- Brought Down to Normal: The Justice League lets Superman know that this trope is no excuse to sit out a mission.
- Captain Crash: Captain America is on a no-fly list due to his track record with anything that flies. As Hawkeye points out, his motorbikes don't fare much better; he has a habit of using them as projectile weapons.
- Color Character: Discussed. What do you mean White Tiger isn't white? It's in her name, isn't it?◊
- Companion Cube: "No don't hurt Battle Van he's my best friend."
- Clark Kenting: Actually not effective, as Metallo used facial recognition and Luthor already knew - having ignored it purely so Clark Kent wouldn't fight crime 24/7.
Black Widow: You're dumb.Hawkeye: That's not what you'll be saying when the fire monsters show up.
- Just in case Robin asks Superman to peek at Christmas presents...
- Hawkeye has an exploding water-arrow in case of fire monsters.
- Crisis of Faith: Daredevil asks Doctor Strange if God is real. Strange casually confirms that He is, and so is the Devil. "I fought him a few times. He's a real jerk."Daredevil: Wow. Okay, that was easy.
- Cut Lex Luthor a Check: Discussed here.
- Dating Catwoman: Clark asks Bruce outright concerning the trope namer.
- Deadpan Snarker: Many, many punchlines appear to be delivered in this fashion. Batman is probably the most frequent perpetrator.Batman: I could give you some bat tracking devices so you can track [your clothes].◊
Superman: I'm pretty sure those things cost more than my clothes do.
Batman: Everything I own costs more than your clothes do.Green Arrow: That's not fair. Would you hang out with someone who bathes in Kryptonite◊?
Superman: My best friend keeps a piece of it on his belt at all times.
Green Arrow: You need better friends man.Robin: Don't expect me to be stealthy with a hacking cough.
Batman: Have you seen your costume? I never expect you to be stealthy.
- Discredited Meme: In-Universe Ant-Man was really not too keen on the whole crawl-up-into-Thanos'-ass-while-tiny-and expand-to-GiAnt-Man-size plan.
- Doomy Dooms of Doom: Lex Luthor apparently thinks he's a hero, despite the fact that, as Joker points out, the name of the team he leads isn't exactly noble◊.
- The Dreaded: The Punisher is this for Taskmaster.◊
- Especially Zoidberg: "We are all related." "Even the dog?" "Especially the dog."
- Everyone Has Standards: General Ross doesn't take to kindly to recruiting Child Soldiers.Gen. Ross: I saw footage of the airport battle, Tony. That spider guy isn't registered. He has to sign the accords.
Iron Man: Yeah, about that, can we add a spot for a parental signature? Well legal guardian actually. Surprisingly hot legal guardian.
Gen. Ross: Parental signature? ARE YOU TELLING ME YOU RECRUITED A CHILD SOLDIER!?
Iron Man: I didn't recruit him. I just threatened to tell his Aunt if he didn't help out.
Gen. Ross: So you blackmailed a kid into fighting a war?
Iron Man: Yeah blackmail definitely sounds like what I did.
- Fashion-Victim Villain: Mr. Sinister's henchmen aren't nearly as thrilled with his new look as he is.◊
- Fearless Fool: "No, I'm Daredevil. I'm the man without fear."
- Fictional Holiday: This conversation between the Guardians of the Galaxy contains some alien examples of weird holidays. One of them isn't even real and was just made-up as an excuse to eat garbage.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: There have been several jokes about Captain America being behind the times, so to speak. Wolverine's amnesia make him a perfect foil for Cap in this type of joke.
- Girlfriend in Canada: Odin thinks Thor is using this as a cover◊ for secretly being gay.
- Hammerspace: Lampshaded with Black Widow◊.Iron Man: You're in a skintight leather outfit, how are you storing more weapons than me?Black Widow: You should see me play Tetris.
- Harmless Villain: Mysterio, much to his dismay.
- Heh Heh, You Said "X": Perhaps unsurprisingly, Deadpool is more than willing◊ to invoke this trope:Deadpool: So, can you offer me employment with The Hand?
Elektra: Sure, I'll give you a shot.
Deadpool: Shot means?
Elektra: A job.
Deadpool: Working for?
Elektra: The Hand.
Deadpool: So what you're saying is...
Elektra: I'm offering you a Hand Job!
Deadpool: BAHAHAHAHAH! You said it! Yes!
Elektra: Ugh. I'm sending so many assassins after you for this.
Deadpool: I REGRET NOTHING!
- Highly Visible Ninja: Batman is well aware that Robin's costume makes him easy to see◊.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: "There's a reason we don't call you She-Joker, Harley."
- Informed Ability: Even Thanos doesn't know why people fear him.
- Instant Costume Change: Flash gets naked in front of everyone...only for a microsecondGreen Lantern: Can't Superman see you moving at Super Speed?
Flash: Oh yeah. He's seen EVERYTHING.
- Just Here for Godzilla: Just Here For Miles Morales. Lampshaded here.
- Kryptonite-Proof Suit: Supergirl asks Superman why she was never informed of the existence of Kryptonite-proof suits. His cousin explains his enemies would not leave him alone if he was totally invulnerable. And when he says "enemies", he means Batman.
- Lack of Empathy: Spidey toward Sandman.
- Lampshade Hanging: A common theme— everything from nonsensical character names to poorly designed costumes is pointed out and discussed.
- Large Ham: Among others, Thor shares this quality with his MCU counterpart. He uses very ornate English and gets excited over almost everything.
- Mad Scientist: Krypton's Council might not have been wrong about Jor-El after all...
- Major Injury Underreaction: Deadpool considers getting shot with 1300 arrows and nearly 100 harpoons as just "a helluva day" for him.Hawkeye: WHO DID YOU PISS OFF?!
Deadpool: Same people who hit me with the 1300 arrows. Ninja whalers. It's been a helluva day.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Lampshaded here.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Just like in his films, Thor gets excited over things that Midgardians take for granted:Thor: I am already here, Friend Stark. Let us meet in aisle 4◊.
Iron Man: Is Hulk there?
Thor: No, but the price of these Pringles is incredible, on this, your darkest of Fridays.
- Mundane Utility:
Ra's al Ghul: I've fed this league on the same turkey for 350 years!
- Spider-Man uses his webbing to make hammocks.
- Black Lightning uses his electric powers to power his own house.
- Villainous example—Ra's al Ghul uses the Lazarus Pit for reviving dead plants and even turkeys.
Magneto: What happened to us, Charles?
- Magneto requests for Professor X to psychoanalyze some teammates, whilst Charles asks him to assist with MRIs for his.
Xavier: The recession, mostly.
- Barry Allen gets a job wrapping Christmas presents at a mall. Downside, he does it so fast he sends a few through time. Upside, Iris got an iPhone 9 years in advance.
- My New Gift Is Lame:
- Non-Indicative Name: Tony doesn't quite get that the Immortal Iron Fist isn't literally immortal.
- No OSHA Compliance: M.O.D.O.K. tries to avert this, but it turns out it makes it very easy for other Avengers to disguise themselves and get close to him.M.O.D.O.K.: These suits are not idiotic they're chemical suits. You never know when you're going to work with chemicals. Safety first.
Iron Man: BTW the four guys nearest to you are Hawkeye, Cap, Widow, and Panther in AIM disguises.
M.O.D.O.K.: Safety can go to hell I hate these suits.
- Not So Above It All: Batman, at times. This is especially evident when he "unofficially" endorses Wonder Woman crashing her invisible jet into Lex Luthor's house.
- Never Live It Down: Batman will never let Green Arrow forget about Speedy doing drugs.
- N-Word Privileges: Unless Logan was just trolling, wolverines (and Wolverine himself) have one◊:Phoenix: Skunk Bear is another name for Wolverines?
Wolverine: Yeah but it's our word. You can't use it.
- Off with His Head!: Bucky and The Falcon both had trouble using Steve's shield at first:Falcon: For the first while did you... umm...
Bucky: Accidentally decapitate people? Most definitely.
- Omnidisciplinary Scientist: Doctor Strange is quick to remind people that his title isn't just for show.
- One Of These Is Not Like The Others: In the first meeting of The Defenders Daredevil got his powers from a toxic waste spill, Jessica Jones got hers from a toxic waste spill, Luke Cage got his from a prison experiment he suspects may have involved toxic waste, and Danny Rand got his when he punched a dragon in the heart in the mystical city of K'un-L'un. The others are skeptical.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: In the "yes it's really me online, guys" flavor, with Tony skeptical on whether or not to invite Bruce to Thanksgiving, not sure if he'll get Bruce of The Hulk...Black Widow: Just say hi and see how he responds before you invite him. It's easy to tell if it's Bruce or Hulk.
Hawkeye: I dunno, Hulk's gotten better at pretending to be Bruce via text lately. But I'll add him to group chat...
"Bruce":note EINSTEIN SMART. BLACK HOLES STRONG! I IS PUNY BRUCE!
Hawkeye: I just can't tell.
- Paranoia Fuel: In-universe, Tony Stark tends to keep SHIELD brass up at night. Take, for example, his plans for celebrating the Fourth◊...Nick Fury: WHAT IS HE DOING?!
Captain America: Just planning a party. In Boston. On a boat. With $2 million worth of British tea he imported.
- Poke the Poodle: Poison Ivy is not used to traditional crime.
- Power Perversion Potential: Flash has a "vibrate setting."
- "I'm broken, Steve, I'm broken!" "Well, lucky for you, AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!" Bucky is not amused.
- Batman doesn't want to listen to Robin's stories.◊ He says it's just too many puns, he can't take it.
- In Iron Fist's defense, this one was slightly forced◊.
- Reading the Stage Directions Out Loud: A transcribing the verbal instructions into a text message variation.
- Reality Ensues: What happens when a guy douses himself in radiation trying to get Hulk's powers.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Wolverine celebrates Remembrance Day, complete with wearing a red poppy. Cyclops gives him grief for getting all mushy about him wearing a flower based on a poem. Wolverine threatens to get all stabby on him.
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: The times Batman flaunts his wealth could take up its own separate article. For example: there's a lot of sharp dressed homeless people in Gotham thanks to him disposing of his suits like used napkins.◊
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!:
- Referenced when Batman says he'll take Damien as a sidekick while keeping the current Robin as a spare.Superman: You know children aren't toys, right?
Batman: When you're as rich as me everything's a toy, Clark.
- Iron Man explicitly mentions that the best power someone can have is being a rich white guy◊.
- Referenced when Batman says he'll take Damien as a sidekick while keeping the current Robin as a spare.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!:
- When told that the Hulk has gone on an insane rampage, Cap, Thor and Widow immediately get scarce◊.
- After Hawkeye asks to be the token male on the all-female Avengers, this is his reaction when She-Hulk tells him he'll have to suffer the same things the token females normally endure on all-male teams.
- Dr. Doom announces to the world he's defeated the Fantastic Four. The Avengers, the X-Men, the Defenders, and the Heroes for Hire all call dibs, until Iron Man just suggests they all go together to make this easy. Doom, well...Dr. Doom: Fuck it! Nevermind! I'm opening a bakery instead.
- Servile Snarker: Alfred puts it quite nicely...
- Skewed Priorities: Apparently, Spider-Man trumps more urgent news for J. Jonah Jameson.Jameson: I can see the headline now! "Spider-Man! Hot-dog Thief!"Peter Parker: Sir, there's a Presidential election we're not covering.Jameson: Spider-Man is a menace!
- Something Completely Different: There have been a couple of times where they've done texts between non-superhero characters. Examples include Mario and Luigi and Han Solo and Luke Skywalker
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Discussed here.
- Superman Stays Out of Gotham: Enforced by Batman himself.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial:
- Tempting Fate: "One more set-up and he may go to war with a friend."
- Time Crash: The inconsistencies on the MCU timeline in Civil War and Homecoming are attributed to Doctor Strange meddling with time.
- Loki in a nutshell. Occasionally while impersonating Odin. Though, on occasion, Thor turns the tables.
- Doctor Doom's new plan for world domination seems to be to just dick around on the internet.◊
- Verbal Backspace: Tony gives Steve an online dating profile.Steve: And there were replies?
Tony: Uh, yeah. Women, men, heroes, villains, talking raccoons, Pepper, which kind of annoyed me. All told you got 800 responses!
Steve: Forgetting the ones that were from Coulson?
Tony: You got 200 responses!
- Verbal Tic: On more than◊ one occasion◊, Thor refers to Tony and Bruce as "Friend Stark" and "Friend Banner" respectively. Interestingly, he doesn't use that title with anyone else.
- Villains Out Shopping: Gorilla Grodd is willing to go to the movies to watch Star Wars.Superman: Are you going to do anything about it?Flash: I'm not going to let him sit in front of me, that's for sure.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Robin sometimes comes off as desperate for Batman's approval◊.
- Weaksauce Weakness:
Batman: You're saying you don't have any weaknesses?Wonder Woman: I'm saying if I did I wouldn't be dumb enough to tell people what they are.
- Turns out Mysterio's natural weakness is Daredevil's blindness.
- Batman compiles a list of his fellow heroes' weaknesses. However, Wonder Woman knows better than to reveal any of hers.
- What Did I Do Last Night?:
- Who Shot JFK?: Implied to be Bucky, though Cap somehow failed to noticed.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: The Punisher's advice to Spider-Man on taking of the Green Goblin.
- Workout Fanservice: How Captain America got 70 million Snapchat followers in one day.
- Worth It: As stated under Pun, Cap would rather give up having Bucky on the Avengers than the chance to keep making puns.
- Deadpool goaded Elektra into saying he was given a hand job. The threat of assassins sent after him did not ruin the moment for him.
- With Friends Like These...: Cap is still a little raw about his fight with Thor◊:Captain America: Wait, are you saying I asked you to stop fighting and you responded by legitimately trying to kill me?!
Thor: I suppose I did!
Captain America: ~_~;