- I love to play video games and I love to eat. Preferably at the same time.
What's even better is eating the food from the game while I'm playing it.
Gourmet Gaming is a gaming blog dedicated to the food of gaming. Specifically, turning fictional foods from games into real foods you can prepare and eat for yourself. Every Wednesday (give or take), blog writer Daniella Zelli adds new recipes inspired by the worlds of gaming. From the mainstream (such as The Sims) to the obscure (how about some Muramasa: The Demon Blade fish udon?), no game is off limits so long as the food in it looks and sounds delicious!
This blog contains examples of:
- Artistic License: She tries to base her recipes on in-game images when possible, but she isn't afraid to improvise when none are available.
- Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce: Both her Dante's Inferno pizza from Devil May Cry and the Kirby's Dream Land Superspicy Curry are prone to inducing fire breath.
- Christmas Episode: Around Christmas, she does Christmassy recipes, like fruitcake and gingerbread. From appopriate games, of course!
- Comfort Food: Macaroni and cheese, according to her, is the ultimate in comfort foods.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef:
- She gets several friends to taste-test her recipes before sending them out into the wild, but some of them do sound a bit bizarre regardless. Examples include chocolate chip and nori cookies and Mountain Dew burger sauce, but they do actually taste good.
- She also done real-life versions of a few canon examples, such as the EarthBound peanut cheese bar and Deadly Premonition's Sinner's Sandwich.
- Cut a Slice, Take the Rest: She describes her EarthBound Peanut Cheese Bar recipe in this way:And when I say it makes six to eight bars, what I really mean is it makes one giant bar for one lucky person. Like me.
- Food Porn: As if the recipes weren't mouthwatering enough, she enjoys photographing them from enticing angles as well.
- Gamer Chick: Well, not many men are named "Daniella"...
- Impossibly Delicious Food: Even she was surprised at just how delicious Yeto's Soup from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ended up being. "This is actually one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted!"
- Masochist's Meal: Her take on the Superspicy Curry from Kirby's Dream Land is not for the faint of heart. She herself describes it as "like punching yourself in the face."
- Powerup Food: Several of her dishes are based on these.
- Satiating Sandwich: She's done a couple of sandwiches, including the famous Team Fortress 2 sandvich.
- Separated by a Common Language: She's from the UK, but has twice made American-style biscuits. She's noted her mental disconnect between what she thinks of as a "biscuit" (an American "cookie") and an American-style biscuit (closer to a British "scone").
- Supreme Chef: More impressive than usual in that Zelli is completely self-taught. She started off cooking simply by tweaking recipes she found in books, and simply practiced from there.
- Trademark Favorite Food: She notes that her Minecraft Mushroom Stew is only for people who really, really, really like mushrooms... including herself.