Ask the Famous 8!note
is a Thomas & Friends Fan Web Comic
This comic is told through an Alternate Universe Character Blog run by Percy. It shows some of the shenanigans that the Famous 8 deal with on a regular basis, as well as dive into their backstories.
The Tumblr page can be read here.
Ask the Famous 8! provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents:
- Gordon's father, Gordon I, was openly abusive to him, and blamed him for his mother's death.
- James' parents never approved of him being transgender, and always suppressed his attempts to "act tomboyish".
- Adaptational Sexuality: Not that the source material had any romantic relationships to begin with, but Thomas, Gordon and Duck are bisexual, Edward, Henry and James are gay, and Percy is pansexual.
- To list the side characters: Bill and Ben are both grey-pan ace, Donald is bisexual, and Douglas and Ferdinand are gay.
- Adaptation Name Change:
- Percy's legal name is "Claire". No one knows about this in-universe, however.
- Toby's first name is "Tobias".
- All There in the Manual: Most of the information can be found on either the Tumblr page or the Wiki.m
- Alternate Universe: One where everyone is humanized.
- Age-Gap Romance: Downplayed with Edward (44) and James (34).
- The Baby of the Bunch: Downplayed with Percy. While he may be the youngest of the Famous 8, at 15, he can handle volunteering to deliver the mail, while also pulling the mail train with Thomas.
- Berserk Button: Do not ask about The Wiggles on the blog. At all.
- Cast of Snowflakes: No two characters look alike, except for those who are identical twins (Donald and Douglas, Bash and Dash).
- Cool Old Guy: Toby. He's the oldest of the Famous 8, at 69, with no intention of retiring.
- Death by Childbirth: Gordon's mother, Lily Lu, died while giving birth to him.
- Disabled in the Adaptation:
- Thomas is an amputee in his right handnote , and he has ADHD and PTSD.
- Edward is missing the last two fingers of his right hand and is farsighted, and he has bipolar disorder, social anxiety, and PTSD.
- Henry has asthma and hemophilia, and he has general anxiety disorder, hypochondria, depression, schizophrenia, and PTSD.
- Gordon is on the autism spectrum, has severe burns and hypertension, and has depression and PTSD.
- James is partially deaf in his left earnote and nearsighted, and has borderline personality disorder and ADHD.
- Percy is on the autism spectrum, and he has general anxiety disorder and auditory processing disorder.
- Toby is colorblind and has general anxiety disorder.
- Duck is on the autism spectrum and has social anxiety disorder.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Many of the older posts were drawn in a more cartoony style instead of the realistic style of the current posts. In addition, Edward was fully British, and Toby's design was not finalized when sleepyhenry started the blog.
- Everyone Is Gay: And how. Seven of the Famous 8 are LGBTQ+ in some way, of them six are not on the gender binary.
- Foster Kid:
- Thomas was orphaned at the age of six, when his parents were killed in a car accident. From there, he was taken in the care of his closest living relatives, his distant aunts Annie and Clarabel Clementine. Though they loved him deeply, they were ultimately unprepared to raise a child, so they put him in the Shining Time care center on Sodor.
- Percy was abandoned on a doorstep by his mother, who did not feel ready to raise a child just yet. From there, he was taken to a hospital until he no longer needed constant care, and he was soon sent to the Shining Time care center.
- Gender Flip: Thomas and Gordon are nonbinary and use "he/him" pronouns, Henry is genderfluid and uses "he/him" pronouns, and Duck is bigender and uses "he/him" pronouns.
- To list the side characters: Bill is a transgender man, Douglas and Ferdinand are agender and go by "he/him" pronouns, and Bash and Dash are both transgender girls.
- Gold Digger: Gender inverted and double subverted with Gordon I. He originally married in order to expand his own wealth, but he changed his mind after he began feeling unconditional love for a Chinese woman, Lily Lu. After Lily's death giving birth to his son Gordon II, he reverted back to his old ways. At present, he is married to Lady Carmine Redferne, who hails from an even wealthier family, and has faint connections to The British Royal Family.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Thomas and Percy are adoptive brothers, but they're extremely close to each other.
- Lethal Chef: Thomas. He nearly burns the kitchen down in one ask.◊
- Mismatched Eyes: Henry has one orange eye and one green eye.
- Named by the Adaptation:
- Thomas Vaishnavi.
- Edward Rosemore.
- Henry Ly-Fiorenza.
- Gordon Featherstone-Redferne II.
- James Alvarez.
- Percy Ferris.
- Tobias Smith.
- Official Couple: Thomas/Ryan, Edward/James, Henry/Gordon, and Toby/Henrietta.
- Original Character: Gaylen Lovell-Featherstone, Gordon's younger half-sibling, and Lady Carmine Redferne, Gordon's stepmother.
- Race Lift: To name the Famous 8 themselves: Thomas and Edward are British Indian, Henry is of mixed race (Armenian Italian-Vietnamese), Gordon is British-Chinese, James is Latinx-Spanish, Percy is Ethiopian, Toby is British African-Israeli, and Duck is German-British.
- To list the side characters: Donald and Douglas are Afro-British, and Bash, Dash, and Ferdinand are of mixed ancestry (Japanese-African-Caucasian-Jewish).
- Related in the Adaptation: Ferdinand is Bash and Dash's older brother in this Alternate Universe.
- Running Gag: Even though asking about The Wiggles is strictly discouraged on the blog, people still ask about it, much to Percy's dismay.
- Shout-Out: The childcare home that Thomas and Percy are sent to is called "Shining Time".
- Skunk Stripe: Gordon has a poliosis streak on the left side of his hair inherited from his mother.
- Youthful Freckles: Percy has these. They're less noticeable with his dark skin, however.