The blog mainly follows Aero, a young Pegasus pony, his parents Derpy and Warden as well as his half-sister Dinky.
This Comic-style blog sometimes follows the other family members but never strays far from Aero and his adolescent adventures, it features a few semi-NSFW topics but never shows anything explicit.
Aero-Replies provides examples of:
- Age-Inappropriate Dress: Aero has on several occassions dressed in sexy outfits or outfits from explicit/adult sources even though he is said to be around 10-13 years old.
- Animals Lack Attributes: No animals or animal people on the blog have visible genitalia or nipples though its hinted at that they exist somewhere off-screen
- Appropriate Animal Attire: A funny spin on the trope, Aeros mom works as a model even though clothing does not seem important to cover nudity, it is almost entirely depicted as self-expression and style. Which is a useful resource for Warden to seek out information on self-identity issues with top designers since its something they are knowledgable in.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Despite wearing clothes, the ponies are not really covering anything and also go naked without much problem. Though it has been expressed that you can tell someone is male or female if you do not wear clothing.
- Cheerful Child: Aero is usually very cheerful. it is his standard setting. he can become upset or angry but he is a naturally very happy child.
- Coming-of-Age Story: At its heart Aero-Replies is a coming of age story. Not just for Aero, but his entire family learns and grows in ways that are sometimes funny and sometimes tragic.
- Coming-Out Story: Though not gay, Aero's crossdressing could be seen as a fit for this trope. Especially after Derpy finds out and flips the heck out.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: After Aero is caught using his computer too much he is punished by having it taken away and forced to go with his mom to work. she works as a model and doesnt know he secretly loves womens clothing. the punishment goes pretty sideways due to that.
- Costume-Test Montage: Aero loves to dress up. There has been several montages of him trying on outfits.
- Crossdresser: The second post on the blog states that Aero is a crossdresser and it is a major part of the character throughout the comic.
- Crossover: Aero has a lot of crossovers with other blogs and is even in a romantic situation with ask-glittershell.
- Cuddle Bug: Aero hugs everyone when happy. Usually just family, but friends too.
- Cute Ghost Girl: Warden summons a Ghost to talk to Aero and she is adorable even with the axe in her head.
- Daddy's Girl: Aero loves Warden and goes to him to feel safe, accepted, and a bit spoiled too. He is daddy's little princess after all.
- Fountain of Youth: just a one off animation where Aero and his dad Warden dance as fillies, the cause was Dinkies homework exploding and shrinking Warden.
- Iconic Item: Early on Aero had an extra-long scarf; it has since been changed but he always has a scarf as part of his design.
- Incest Is Relative: Though not related to Aero by blood, Aunt Lulu is shown to give Aero confusing thoughts.
- Likes Older Women: Aero has a thing for older mares.
- Mistaken for Gay: Early on, Aero was thought of to be gay due to being androgynous and crossdressing, though he explicitly states that he isn't into that. In a recent chapter, Aero started dating a colt who is pretending to be a mare, which may once again bring up the question if he is straight or bi.
- Overprotective Dad: Warden is shown on several occasions having extra precautions to the point where it could be seen as overprotective, but is more a matter of perspective. It's driven by love and oftentimes looks extreme, such as threatening to destroy someone who scared Aero.
- Papa Wolf: Warden has been shown swooping in to save aero from bullies, casting spells on him and drilling him so he understands the precautions so that he will be best equipped in case something goes wrong.
- Puppy Love: Aero has shown to have a crush and even having a first date arc.
- Tomboy: Dinky has several masculine traits as well as donning the title "big bro" to their younger half-brother Aero.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Aero loves to dress as a girl, and while he fears being judged there has been very little social backlash actually shown in the comic. There has been more talk about the idea of being judged, and trying to protect Aero from being judged with no-one actually becoming angry with him when they find out about it.