Series One | Series Two | Christmas Special | Series Three | Series Four | Bandersnatch | Series Five
Though there was some doubt as to a fifth series, with Netflix having previously only made a production deal for 12 episodes, the show's success made it rather clear that it would be renewed; the official announcement came in early March 2018, with filming announcements shockingly soon after in late March. Two episodes were filmed back-to-back through April 2018 in Croydon and Kent, in England, with another episode being written by Brooker at the same time and reports from Buzzfeed claiming that some of the series would be filmed in Brazil.
Incidentally, series 5 has the lowest score on Rotten Tomatoes, only having a 68% freshnote .
Tropes relating to Black Mirror Series Five:
- The venue Ashley plays in at the end of "Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too" is the same one she drove by at the beginning of the episode. Jack, whose bass-playing skills were shown early on, also becomes Ashleys bassist.
- "Smithereens" has a Freeze-Frame Bonus where we see Saito Geimu using the eponymous Twitter-like service.
- "Striking Vipers" has references to TCKR Systems and uses the same immersion VR gadget Daly used in "USS Callister".
- In "Smithereens", Christopher calls out Billy Bauer's use of the phrase "I hear you" as an insultingly clichéd attempt to fake actual empathy. In the next episode, "Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too", Aunt Catherine similarly uses "I hear you" to seem like she's listening to Ashley's complaints about her life before revealing their whole dinner meeting was just a ruse to drug her into a coma.
- Ashley O's hit song is a cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Head Like A Hole", with the lyrics slightly changed. She later covers the song itself at the end of the episode.
- The eponymous game in "Striking Vipers" is reminiscent of the biggest Fighting Games.
- "Smithereens" may as well be a crossover with Silicon Valley.