- From the flavor text of Diablo II we get this poem, "Long Road's End" by C. Vincent Metzen:What fires burn within my heart and force me to contendWith the perils that await me at this tragic journeys end?I have walked the roads that lead to Hell, I have challenged all but Fate.I have fought and bled and carried on just to reach this final gate.And now the task before me looms, this dire deed undone;I shall make my stand against the Three until the battle's won.What fear or wound could ever still this last defiant cry,As I stand against the Shadow 'neath the endless burning sky?
- Deus Ex.Morgan Everett: We are the Invisible Hand. We are the Illuminati. We come before and after. We are forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the day.
- Dragon Age: Origins has a number of these.
Join us brothers and sisters.
- The creed of the Grey Wardens: "In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice."
- The Warden Oath, spoken at the Joining:
Join us in the shadows where we stand vigilant.
Join us as we carry the duty that can not be forsworn.
And should you perish, know that your sacrifice will not be forgotten.
And that one day we shall join you.
We are the Dalish.
- The Dalish Elves have the "Oath of the Dales";
Keepers of the lost lore, walkers of the lonely path.
We are the last of the Elvhenan,
And never again shall we submit.
- "Death before dishonour," the creed of the Orlesian chevaliers.
Blessed are the peacekeepers, the champions of the just. Blessed are those who stand before the corrupt and the wicked and do not falter.
- From the Chant of Light, notably spoken by Knight-Commander Meredith in Dragon Age II:
"Struggle is an illusion. The tide rises, the tide falls, but the sea is changeless. There is nothing to struggle against. Victory is in the Qun."
- The Qunari have their own, as well;
- In the Dragon Age II DLC quest Legacy, Malcolm Hawke, the protagonist's father, also made one into a Badass Prayer:"Be bound here for eternity, hunger stilled, rage smothered, desire dampened, pride crushed. In the name of the Maker, so let it be."
"Magic will serve that which is best in me. Not that which is most base".
- Malcolm Hawke's own personal creed:
"I have a purpose. I protect Kirkwall."
- In the DLC Mark of the Assassin, Hawke proves that badass creeds run in the family, stating their primary motivation for their actions;
- In Mass Effect 2, Thane Krios also has his own.Amonkira. Lord of Hunters. Grant that my hands be steady, my aim be true, and my feet swift. And should the worst come to pass, grant me forgiveness.
- Paragon Shepard gives their character defining line in 2, while invoking it in the Refusal Ending in 3.Shepard: I won't let fear compromise who I am.
- Paragon Shepard gives their character defining line in 2, while invoking it in the Refusal Ending in 3.
- The eponymous Assassins Creed: "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted." It's the main quote on the Badass Creed page and was in fact the actual creed of the historical Hashashin sect, led by Hassan al-Sabbah, from the name of which we get the word "assassin".
"Laa shaya waq'in moutlaq bale kouloun mounkine." (Arabic, literally "Nothing is absolute; Everything is permitted.")Machiavelli: "Where other men blindly follow the truth, remember:"
- Note that the AC1 version has three tenets in addition to this motto: stay your blade from the flesh of an innocent, discretion in all things, and never compromise the Brotherhood. This is a major plot point, as Altaïr's violation of all three at Solomon's Temple led to his demotion, hence his starting as a Novice and having to literally kill his way back to Master Assassin.
- It is expanded in the sequel, in the scene where Ezio is formally sworn into the ranks of the Assassins. It sounds even cooler that way, once you know exactly what it means... although the "three tenets" are now nowhere to be seen, possibly due to Altaïr's reforms. (Amusingly, it's also how to solve the last of Subject 16's Glyph puzzles.)
Ezio: "Nothing is true."
Machiavelli: "Where other men are limited by morality or law, remember:"
Ezio: "Everything is permitted."
Machiavelli: "We work in the dark to serve the light. We are assassins."
All: "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted."
- The central tenet of the Creed is even more impressive when you consider that it's essentially the answer to an existential crisis, an individual's realization that there exists no rational force governing nature: If there is no universal truth, nothing limits what you can do. And all of this centuries before philosophers would assemble the actual school of thought.Altair: I understand now that our Creed does not command us to be free. It commands us to be wise.
- Ezio delivers his own explanation at the end of Assassin's Creed: Revelations, after living the Creed for almost thirty years.Ezio: To say that nothing is true, is to recognize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.
- While most of the cast in Team Fortress 2 carry a Badass Boast in their "Meet the..." videos, the Sniper has a code. "Professionals have standards. Be polite, be efficient, have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
- Kim Kaphwan would like to remind you that evil is UNFORGIVABLE.
- Too Human, in a sendup to the Klingon example:Berserker: It's a good day to die!Soldier: You always say that.Berserker: It always is.
- Richter Belmont from Castlevania: "I'm a Belmont. That's my job."
"When we joined the Covenant, we took an oath.""According to our station, all without exception.""On the blood of our fathers. On the blood of our sons. We swore to uphold the Covenant.""Even to our dying breath!""Those who would break this oath are heretics, worth of neither pity nor mercy. Even now they use our Lord's creations to broadcast their lies.""We shall grind them into dust—""—And continue our march to glorious salvation!"
- The Elites have one in Halo 2 that is chanted as a call/response series:
"Spartans never die. They just go to Hell and regroup."
- There's one for the Spartan-IIs and IIIs too:
"Jump Feet First into Hell."
- Don't forget the Orbital Drop Shock Troopers of the 105th Shock Troops Division:
"We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us, we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.""When in doubt, flee".
- The ODSTs get an even more badass one in the We Are ODST trailer. The song lyrics, translated from Welsh:
- Marathon''I've twice been conquered-Three times more,And never the Pfhor.''
- Baldur's Gate features the hammy ranger Minsc, who despite being a bit odd can deliver on his boasts:
- "Swords, not words!"
- "Jump on your swords while you can, villainy, for I won't be as gentle!."
- Metal Wolf Chaos: "Nothing is pointless! And the reason is... because I'm the President of the United States of America!"
- World of Warcraft and the rest of the Warcraft franchise has a good number.
"I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
- The Knights of the Ebon Blade seem to have a couple; "Suffer well" among others. "Harness your hate. Make it useful."
- One very simple line that Knights of the Ebon Blade NPCs use as a greeting when clicked on kind of sums them up: "We press on." They are moving forward despite all of them having been through almost literal hell. It's such a simple, evocative way of saying to Arthas, "Fuck you, we're still here."
- As of the Legion expansion, the reigning creed of the Knights is "We do what the living cannot." The Knights of the Ebon Blade are willing to go to extremes the other factions will not for the sake of Azeroth's protection.
- Varok Saurfang has a good one.
Death to those who oppose us!
- The Horde in general has: "Lok'Tar Ogar! Blood and Thunder! My life for the Horde!", although the entire creed is rarely ever spoken in its entirety, except during a quest to grant the Taunka membership in World of Warcraft..
- Lok'tar Ogar translates as Victory or Death!For The Horde!
- The Blood Elves have the straight-to-the-point
High Commander Halford Wyrmbane: Through the valleys and peaks of Mount Hyjal, across the shifting sands of Silithus, against the Legion's dread armies - we have fought. We are the nameless, faceless, sons and daughters of the Alliance. By the Light and by the might of the Alliance, the first strike belongs to us and the last strike is all that our enemies see. We are 7th Legion.
- The Knights of the Silver Hand have "Esarus thar no'Darador", translated as "By blood and honor we serve".
- The Alliance's 7th legion has one:
- From Beyond Good & Evil, the code of Carlson & Peeters... kinda. While it does contain such statements of solidarity and strength as "W.W.T.A.O.: We Work Together As One!," the book's designated mouthpiece, Double H, seems to have... trouble separating the genuinely awesome from the mundane, treating both with equal gravitas.
- Reversal from Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, and possibly Real Life: "I don't know anything, I didn't see anything, I wasn't there, and if I was there I was asleep." A reversal because, rather than pointing out that people should be afraid of the speaker, it's pointing out that he should be afraid of other people.
- The Brotherhood of Nod from the Command & Conquer: Tiberian Series has plenty, being a Army loyal to Kane, the most prominent being:Brotherhood. Unity. Peace.One vision. One purpose.Peace through Power. (Sometimes combined with the previous one)You can't kill the Messiah. (Kane's personal motto.)
- And, in one scene from Tiberian Sun:Slavik: In the name of Kane!Army of Nod Troops: Kane lives in death!Slavik: In the name of Kane!Army: Kane lives in death!Slavik: In the name of Kane!Army: Kane lives in-Kane: KANE... LIVES!
- And, in one scene from Tiberian Sun:
- [PROTOTYPE]'s Blackwatch:
- Blazblue has pretty much every character have one.
"I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the fires of destruction. I am Hakumen. THE END HAS COME!"
- Hakumen has probably the most famous of all:
"I am strength. I am power. I am everything. My very being is the sword of the gods that will destroy all! I am Takehaya Susanoo. THE END HAS COME!"
- It even gets an Ironic Echo/Dark Reprise in the form of Terumi after he takes the Susanoo Unit back...or more accurately, when he takes his old body back:
"Dispatched in mankind's darkest hour, we are knights of the blue flame!"
- The N.O.L. has their own:
"Hailed by the heavens, earth, and people, the one and only Bang Shishigami is now here!"
- And three more, though the second is a parody.
"The heavens, the earth, and a million squirrels call to me! *Beat* Huh? What? They don't?"Upon activating his Bang Install super: "Quicker than the Winds and as Still as the Forest! Hotter than Flames and more Magnificent than a Mountain!"
Dispatched in mankind's darkest... Uh... *mumbling* Oh, forget it!
- Occasionally subverted by Makoto, who sometimes does the N.O.L creed, but gets halfway through saying it and then forgets the rest. Of course, played straight when she does it correctly.
Oh silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond, heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way! Lay waste.
- Several characters use one during their Astral Finishes. For Example:
From beyond the realm of souls and birth; I call upon the Ur-Sword to bring ruin upon my enemies. Perish
- Better yet, her other Astral quote:
White feathers for innocence. Black feathers for darkest sin. We are the message endeavors of God, come to deliver righteous justice! Let sinners be punished. Let justice be done!
- That's right. The UR-SWORD. The original blade.
This world was created by the hands of the Gods. Every thing is false. Everything is a lie! The final days have come. And now, LET EVERYTHING BE DESTROYED!!!Allow me to show you the power... Of the full moon! Night has now fallen... The moon shines bright! The play is now through!
I'll show you... THE POWER OF THE AZURE! I'll show you fear. There is no hell... JUST DARKNESS!
- Ragna the Bloodedge
- The Bonus Boss of Super Mario RPG:I am matter.I am antimatter.I can see your past.I can see your future.I consume time...And I will consume you!
- The evil Sentai team you face in Barrel Volcano:We fight for evil!
We live for disorder!
We like what we do!
We struggle for chaos!
...the AXEM RANGERS!!
- The evil Sentai team you face in Barrel Volcano:
- Devil May Cry 4 with Dante when he receives Lucifer.First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free!
My honoured brethrenwe come togetherto unite as oneagainst those that are damnedwe show no mercyfor we have none.Our enemies shall fallas we upriseto claim our fatenow and foreverwe'll be togetherin love and hate.
- Also some kind of an oath (of Holy Knights of the Order of the Sword?) from "Shall Never Surrender":
Dante: Devils Never Cry.
- However, if you want the true Badass Creed of the series, you need only look to three words.
- Here's one in Tales of Destiny 2, said by Judas:Majiwara zarishi inochi ni, ima mo tarasaren setsuna no kiseki/Instant miracles are not brought to mix with life nowToki wo hete...Koko ni yuugou seshi mirai he no taidou!/Time passes... Unite here and rise to the future!GISHOU KEN!! * mask breaks, revealing Leon Magnus*Boku wa... kako wo tachikiru. Chire!/I cut off the past... Scatter!
Blood rejects blood, heart breaks heart,Miracles won't come true, therefore, they don't exist...You resist?
- This Badass Creed is so badass, it has subtitles:
- My name is Ultima... I am power both ancient and unrivaled... I do not bleed, for I am but strength given form... Feeble creatures of flesh... Your time is nigh!
- Or, as we used to know it, "My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!"
- The title character of Mega Man Zero gives us this little gem, said at the end of the fourth and final game (of the series):Zero: "I never cared about justice, and I don't ever recall calling myself a hero... I have always only fought for the people that I believe in. I won't hesitate... If an enemy appears before me, I will destroy it!"
Phantom: Give light to people. Give death to Mavericks. No one shall disgrace master X. Your termination will now commence!
- Copy X's Guardian Hidden Phantom has one as well.
- In Modern Warfare 2, Captain Price gives an epicly poetic-awesome speech in response to General Shepherd betraying him & Soap:"The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is its last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury. Not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take...inventory. Outgunned. Outnumbered. Out of our minds. On a suicide mission. But the sand and the rocks here, stained with thousands of years of warfare...They will remember us. For this. Because out of all our vast array of nightmares, this is the one we choose for ourselves. We go forward like a breath exhaled from the Earth. With vigor in our hearts and one goal in sight: We. Will. Kill him."
- The only line not chosen by the player, from the Demifiend/Hitoshura from Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne in Digital Devil Saga.Dying message: "Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road. Neither human, nor devil... all bends to my will."
- Final Fantasy XNow! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain - or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!
- Planescape: Torment has Dak'kon with this:Know that when death comes for you,know that I shall meet its blade with mine.Know that when all dies around you,Know I shall live for your sake.
- He also has a the simple "Endure. In enduring grow strong."?
- Devil Jin starts every fight with "Kyoufu o oshiete yarou." ("I will teach you how to fear.")
- Sanger Zonvolt would like to remind you that HE IS THE SWORD THAT SMITES EVIL!
- Fallout: New Vegas
- NCR 1st Recon: The last thing you never see. "It was pretty accurate, and so were we." And boy do they live up to it. Sending a single squad of these guys was considered a major military asset.
- The NCR Rangers have the very simple slogan "Against All Tyrants". Understated, but no less badass.
- The Zuul from Sword of the Stars have the species-wide creed, which also finishes its leader's Badass Boast in the intro:Born of fire! Born of steel! Born of science! Born! Of! Blood!
- Alpha Protocol, for the eponymous organization: Quo Nemi Sequi Potest. "Where No One Can Follow."
- EVE Online:
- The Ushra'Khan alliance: "We come for our people."
- Those who fly Minmatar ships: "In Rust We Trust."
- The Amarr loyalists have their age-old Battle Cry "Amarr Victor!"
- When the Empyrean War broke out, some Minmatar loyalists adopted the rejoinder "Matar Victor!"
- Battlefield: Bad Company has the Legionaires and their motto "Acta Non Verba" which literally means in Latin "Action, Not Words."
- Andrew Ryan's personal motto:"A man chooses. A slave obeys..."
- From BioShock 2 "We will be reborn in the cold womb of the ocean."
- Demonbane: "From the hate-scorched sky / With righteous anger in our hearts / We draw forth the sword that smites Evil / Thou art the innocent blade—Demonbane!"
- From Fire Emblem the guild of assassins knows as The Black Fang "The Fang lets none escape"
- The Midnight Squad in City of Heroes:We gather in moonlightwhen the clock strikes midnight,With intellect our torchand humanity our compass.Quill or sword in hand,we move through the mysteries of the night,Despite what horrors we faceor dark lore we uncover.We shall press on.For this is the oathand the burden of the Midnighter.
- From Samurai ShodownIt is a Bushi's natureTo fight and dieI will be a victorious devilAnd all of my enemies will beCut into pieces
- And also:To have no fearTo slice and killTo survive
- And also:
- The Orders of Tyria in Guild Wars 2 each have one (or several, in the case of the Whispers):Order of Whispers: "Fight what cannot be fought." / "Know what cannot be known." / "Kill what cannot be killed."The Vigil: "Some must fight, so that all may be free."Durmand Priory: "Your power is only equal to the sum of your knowledge."
- In Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Naegi's "I'm more optimistic than most people" becomes this by the end of the game.
- From Dawn of War we have the creed of the Blood Raven Chapter's Chaplain:"Pain now; reward in the afterlife."
"Only in death does duty end."
- Another one that is said by just about all the Adeptus Astartes:
Duty does not end in death; death is only the beginning.
- Or for those chosen to be interred in Dreadnoughts:
"None shall find us wanting."
- After the Aurelian Crusade, we get this gem from the Blood Ravens:
- The Dark Eldar has one that is (appropriately) equal parts inspiring and terrifying: "No death!" Heartening, until you realize they mean no death for their enemies. The longer version is "Death only after great pain."
- A meta example in Dwarf Fortress: "Losing is fun." Translated to the common man, this would read a bit more like "We entertain ourselves through fire and death".
- In Kult: Heretic Kingdoms, the five rulers of the Ancient Conspiracy each have their own rote phrase to describe their job in metaphorical terms. ("I am the fire...", "I am the blade...", etc.). One of them later becomes a Survival Mantra after one member is nearly killed by another.
- In Fate/stay night, there is Archer's Unlimited Blade Works aria, delivered in Surprisingly Good English:I am the bone of my sword.Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.I have created over a thousand blades.Unknown to Death, nor known to Life.Have withstood pain to create many weapons.Yet, those hands will never hold anything.So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works!
I am the bone of my sword.Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.I have created over a thousand blades.Unaware of loss, nor aware of gain.Withstood pain to create weapons, waiting for one's arrival.I have no regrets; this is the only path.My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works!
- Shirou gets their own version:
Once seeking for the ultimate blade.
- In Fate/Grand Order, Sengo Muramasa (implied to be Shirou's ancestor), as a pseudo-Servant borrowing Shirou's body has his own more verbose version:
A blade of steel cutting no flesh, nor bones and neither life.
What I seek for is the clearance of resentment.
The cutting of bonds, fate and destiny.
That is, to free oneself from Karma.
Upon one's arrival are countless tools.
Carved over a thousand blades, forming a pile of swords.
This is the place where all paths cross.
This is the place where all desires flow.
This is the place where all deaths await.
My whole life was for this single swing.
The heart of the blade is right here!
- In the minecraft game Dwarves Vs Zombies, when the mobs get released, Old Man Wilikers shouts the dwaves:I AM A DWARF! AND THIS IS MY SHRINE!WE FEAR NOT DEATH, WE FEAR NOT TIME,FOR WHEN THE GOLD RUNS LOW,AND THE ALE RUNS DRY,KNOW THAT DEATH DID NOT CHOOSE ME,I CHOSE THIS NIGHT!
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:
''"Upon my honor I do swear undying loyalty to the Emperor and unwavering obedience to the officers of his great Empire. May those above judge me, and those below take me, if I fail in my duty. Long live the Emperor! Long live the Empire!"Here in my templeHere in my shrineThat you have forgottenHere do you toilThat you might rememberHere you reclaimWhat faithless minds have stolenFar from yourselfI grow ever nearer to youYour eyes once were blindedNow through me do you seeYour hands once were idleNow through them do I speakAnd when the world shall listenAnd when the world shall seeAnd when the world remembersThat world will cease to be.
- The oath to join the Imperial Legion qualifies:
- From The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, there's the Garo, who always commit ritual suicide upon defeat.To die without leaving a corpse... That is the way of us Garo.
- Stellaris:I solemnly swear to devote my life and abilitiesIn defense of the United Nations of EarthTo defend the Constitution of ManAnd to further the universal rights of all sentient lifeFrom the depths of the Pacific, to the edge of the galaxyFor as long as I shall live!
- Rogue Servitors have one as a greeting: "To protect and to serve." Short and sweet, especially when said as a rebuttal to Determined Exterminators, Devouring Swarms or Absolute Xenophobes.
- Touhou Project sees every major character use a Badass Boast, but only Joon and Shion Yorigami repeat theirs to creed level:Joon: I am Joon Yorigami. The worst, most disastrous plague god!Shion: And Im her older sister, Shion Yorigami. The worst, most disastrous poverty god.
- Characters in Overwatch have their own Badass Creed taglines, as does the organization itself given in the first cinematic teaser:We are HopeWe are HonorWe are CourageWe are JusticeWe are CompassionWe are DeterminationWe are HarmonyWe are Overwatch
- In Tom Clancy's EndWar, the special forces units of the USA, Russia and the European Federation all have some very impressive mottos:
- JSF 13th Airborne: Judgement From the Heavens
- JSF 35th Airborne: Death from Above
- JSF 26th Mechanized: Drive It Like You Stole It
- Spetznaz 13th Airborne: You Should Be Running Now
- Spetznaz 35th Armored: Big Tanks Thirst For Blood
- Spetznaz 48th Tactical: Today We Feed The Crows
- EFEC 16th Mechanized: Death to Tyrants
- There's also the general EFEC motto: Se vis pacem, para bellum. From Latin, If you want peace, prepare for war.
- The Umbrella Corporation motto recited for trainees at the Management Training Facility in Resident Evil 0:Obedience breeds Discipline
Discipline breeds Unity
Unity breeds Power
Power is Life
- In Granblue Fantasy, the Lumiel Order of Holy Knights live by a creed that all members aspire to live up to.Forever pure, forever righteous!
- Phantom Thief Silver Cat: The matrilineal side of Ginka's family has one, about fighting against wickedness no matter how others judge them.
- The Oseram Vanguard from Horizon Zero Dawn has one. Because of course they do.Where does the Vanguard stand?!Front of the line!Why there?!Steel before iron!And what do we do?!Hit 'em with a hammer 'til they can't fight no more!
- Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg: Each of the major starting factions has one:
- Reichspakt: Guard The Balance.
- Entente: Reclaim The Birthright.
- Third International: Break The Chains.
- Destiny 2:
We are Cabal. We eat the mountains. We drink the seas.
- The Cabal empire gets one in Season of the Chosen, spoken by their new Empress, Caiatl:
we held the line and we didn't die. That's victory. It says so on the gun.
- The Exotic scout rifle, Skyburners Oath, is said to have the words Victory or death! inscribed on it. The nameless Cabal grunt who previously wielded it interpreted it a little differently than normal, though:
Badass Creed / Video Games