- The Stan Rogers song "Mary Ellen Carter", which actually saved the life of a shipwreck victim who sang it to stay awake in the icy water.All you to whom adversity has dealt a mortal blow,With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go,Turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain,Like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again!Rise again! Rise again!Though your heart may be broken, and life about to end,No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend,Like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again!
- Die Gedanken Sind Frei, German for "My Thoughts are Free." An old folksong sung by WWII prisoners, Cold War protestors, and modern freethinkers.Die Gedanken Sind Frei, my thoughts freely flowerDie Gedanken Sind Frei, my thoughts give me powerNo scholar can map them, no hunter can trap them,No man can deny, Die Gedanken Sind Frei!I think as I please, and this gives me pleasureMy conscience decrees this right I must treasureMy thoughts do not cater to duke or dictator,No man can deny, Die Gedanken Sind Frei!And should tyrants take me, and cast me in prison,My thoughts shall burst free, like blossoms in seasonFoundations will crumble, and structures will tumble,and free men will cry, Die Gedanken Sind Frei!
- Heather Alexander's March of CambreadthMidnight mare and blood-red roanFight to keep these lands your ownSound the horn and call the cryHow many of them can we make die?
- Slipknot on (sic) has "You can't kill me cause I'm already INSIDE YOU!"
- The Switch and the Spur by The RaconteursAny poor souls, who trespass against usWhether it be beast or manWill suffer the bite, or be stung dead on sightBy those who inhabit this landFor theirs is the power and this is their kingdomAs sure as the sun does burnSo enter this path, but heed these four words:You shall never return
- "Sophia" by the CruxshadowsDo not injustice to anotherDefend the weak and innocentLet truth and honor always guide youLet courage find a life withinStand up when no-one else is willingAct not in hatred or in spiteBe to this world as a perfect knightEven if it means your life
- The Impossible Dream:To dream the impossible dreamTo fight the unbeatable foeTo bear with unbearable sorrowTo run where the brave dare not go
- In fact, the whole song is his Badass Creed.
- As are the opening and the finale.
- One might say the whole musical is.
- In fact, the whole song is his Badass Creed.
- It loses its rhyme in translation to English, but there's an old children's rhyme for the holiday of Hannukah:We have come to expel darkness.In our hands are light and flame.Every one of us is a small light.And all of us are a firm light.Fight darkness, drive back blackness!Fight for the cause of the light!
- The electronic dance song "Stop the Revolution" by D. Ramirez and Meat Katie:You cannot restrain or tame an idea with idle threats.Once it has crept into the mind, the mouth will not bite the tongue to keep it in silence.The sheer promise of bondage and whips will not be enough to apprehend a thought as it travels from ear to misinformed ear.We will protest, because you cannot tell a concept not to raise its fist in anger!You cannot censor that which only exists in theory!You cannot tell anarchy to stop in its tracks, when its feet only exist in the minds of the oppressed!There is a force out there, greater than the media, greater than right or left, greater than empty lies or promises!You can try all night to stop the noise... but you'll never stop the Revolution.
- "Prisoner of Our Time", "Branded and Exiled", "Chains and Leather"... Like many old school metal bands, Running Wild had many of these on it's earlier releases. Here's a example from "Branded and Exiled":Many relocated all across the landTogether we've got the power in our handsWe are strong enough to fight mendacious lawsWe've got the wrath, 'cause we areBranded and exiledTogether, we can stand the night!Branded and exiledTogether, we can stand the night!
- The Incredible String Band — My Name is DeathI am the question that cannot be answered,I am the lover that cannot be lost,Yet small are the gifts of my servant; the soldier,For time is my offspring; pray, what is my name?My name is Death.
- Justifying note: Far from being a harsh metal song, this is a rather unsettling Folk song.
- Iron Maiden has many:
No point asking when it is,No point asking who's to go,No point asking what's the game,No point asking who's to blame,'Cos if you're gonna die, if you're gonna die,'Cos if you're gonna die, if you're gonna die,If you're gonna die, if you're gonna die,If you're gonna die, if you're gonna die,If you're gonna die, die with your boots on,If you're gonna try, well stick around,Gonna cry, just move along,If you're gonna die, you're gonna die.
- One of note is "Die With Your Boots On,"
Sunlight, falling on your steel,Death in life is your ideal,Life is like a wheel.
- Then, from "Sun and Steel,"
You'll die as you livedIn a flash of the bladeIn a corner forgotten by no-oneYou lived for the touchFor the feel of the steelOne man, and his Honour.
- And, from "Flash of the Blade,"
You'll take my life but I'll take yours tooYou'll fire your musket but I'll run you throughSo when you're waiting for the next attackYou'd better stand there's no turning backThe bugle sounds as the charge beginsBut on this battlefield no one winsThe smell of acrid smoke and horses breathAs you plunge into a certain deathThe horse he sweats with fear we break to runThe mighty roar of the Russian gunsAnd as we race towards the human wallThe screams of pain as my comrades fallWe hurdle bodies that lay on the groundAnd as the Russians fire another roundWe get so near yet so far awayWe won't live to fight another dayWe get so close near enough to fightWhen a Russian gets me in his sightsHe pulls the trigger and I feel the blowA burst of rounds takes my horse belowAnd as I lay there gazing at the skyMy body's numb and my throat is dryAnd as I lay forgotten and aloneWithout a tear I draw my parting groan
- And of course The Trooper
- Victory Song — EnsiferumEi urhot kaukaisen pohjolanUhan eessä taipuneetJälleen pauhaa kansi taivahanVeri valuu maahan lumiseenMoni nähdä ei saa enää huomistaMoni jää heitä kaipaamaanJälkipolville jää maa rauhaisaVoiton laulut soi ainiaanTranslated:The warriors of the northStood strong against aggressionAgain the thunder rumblesBlood stains the snowMany will not see tomorrowMany will be missedBut the land remains safe for our childrenAnd songs of victory will sound forever
- The Show Must Go On, by Queen.The Show must go on!
The Show must go on!
Ooh! Inside my heart is breaking!
My make-up may be flaking...
But my smile, still, stays on!
Yeah! oh oh oh
My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairy tales of yesterday, will grow but never die,
I can fly, my friends!
The Show must go on! Yeah!
The Show must go on!
I'll face it with a grin!
I'm never giving in!
On with the show!
I'll top the bill!
I have to find the will to carry on!
On with the,
On with the show!
The Show must go on.
- And the kicker? Brian May wrote this for Freddie Mercury, when people questioned if he could 'go on', considering his health was failing because of his battle with AIDS. According to The Other Wiki, May wasn't sure that Freddie would be able to sing the song, his health was so bad. Freddie's response? He took a swig of vodka and said 'I'll fucking do it, darling!'. May says he considers this one of Mercury's best performances. 'Scuse me, I have something in my eye..
- Also from that same album (Freddie went out Badass!), the song "Innuendo". The whole song was a Badass Creed, like "Show Must Go On". Just the first verse:While the sun hangs in the sky and the desert has sand,While the waves crash from the sea to meet the land,While there's the wind and the stars and the rainbow,'Til the mountains crumble into the plains,Yeah, we'll keep on trying,Tread that fine lineYeah, we'll keep on trying,Just passing our time.
- The Fire Dawn, by Oh Sleeper, exudes this trope. IN SPADES!Stand up, we'll be more than kings.Show no mercy when the gates swing.I've said it before but without accepting that my bodyWas the only thing keeping me from living.I wouldn't even let the surgeon touch me.Though facing death, I dined on flesh...But now I live to fight out-numbered.I live to fight out-numbered at the fire dawn to live in rebellious honor.I'll stand, you'll see me over all of your fallen.I'll be knee-deep, knee-deep in a sea of their organs.Send me all of hell and I'll face them,I'll face them one on one-thousand.
- Most, if not all, Professional Wrestling Theme Music.
- Enter Shikari's Badass Creed in "Juggernauts" also acts as a complete Crowning Moment of Awesome:We'll do what we've always doneShut our eyes and hope for the best...NO! We're gonna face thisAnd step out onto the tracksStare it right in the faceTHOU SHALL NOT PASS!
- Army of the Dead Part I/II and Odin by Manowar.Raise thy weapons on this dayYe shall not die aloneFight and die let Valkyries flyFor they shall take thee homeI promise thee that on this nightYe shall be by my sideAsgard's halls await with heroesBrothers that have diedFor thee we wait at Asgard's gatesCome join us by our sideValhalla waits so choose thy fateFor all of us must die!
- This excerpt that appears in the Manowar songs The Warrior's Prayer and Glory, Majesty, Unity :Gods of war I call You. My sword is by my side.I seek a life of honor, free from all false pride.I will crack the whip with a bold mighty hail.Cover me with death if I should ever fail.Glory, Majesty, UnityHail, Hail, Hail
- Pretty much any Manowar song, actually. Here's one from Sons of Odin :Glory and fameBlood is our nameSouls full of thunder, hearts of steelKillers of men!A warrior's friend!Sworn to avenge our fallen brothers, to the end!
- Even more to the point, the band itself has one: "Death to false metal".
- "Morituri", by Robin Wayne Bailey:Let us live short lives of gloryLet us burn bright like a flameAnd when the gods call, let the poets remember our names!
- Level 70/80 Elite Tauren Chieftain, 'The Power of the Horde'Surrounded by the enemyThe wolf among the houndsThunder turns to silence, it took...A hundred to bring me downWolf-brothers falling at my sideWith honor I will dieUpon the altar of the stormsI will be reborn
- (Rest of the lyrics:  )
- All That Remains has several, but the song "Some of the People , All of the Time" exeplifies it:When all seems lost we count the costWe still remain connectedWe'll be made strong we are not wrongwe will not be neglectedNow Wake this doubt and cast it outWeakness will be rejectedAnd through all wrongs we must stay strongWe will not be neglected
- "The Gears" by DethklokWe fear not our mortalityWe'll serve to the best of our abilityWe give our lives to our mastersWe vow to smite our enemies
- Andrew W.K.'s "Get Ready to die" is one massive Badass Creed combined with a Badass Boast.This is your time to pay,This is your judgement day,We made a sacrifice,And now we get to take your life.We shoot without a gun,We'll take on anyone,It's really nothing new,It's just a thing we like to do.
If we wait until tomorrowWill tomorrow ever come?This is where we're coming fromAnd we're not the only onesWhen we find ourselves in troubleWe can find outselves a wayYou can find a place to stayAnd the place is always safeIf you have a heart that's in painDon't be afraidYou're not to blameThere's a better world inside of usWhere we always thought it wasYou don't need to hideYou can open up your eyesAnd you'll discoverThat there is another world.
- Andrew gets another crazy-awesome one that encompasses the ending of "Totally Stupid". Might double as a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming for some.
- Indestructible by Disturbed - the whole song is one big Badass Creed
- The Protomen provide one to Mega Man in "The Will of One". It gets a lot darker in "The Sons of Fate".And as I live
There is no evil that will stand
And I will finish
What was started
The fight of Protoman!
- One from Within Temptation: "Why Not Me."Some may call it a curse
A life like mine
But others, a blessing
It's certainly a lonely life
But a fulfilling one and the best
It's my cross to bear
And I'll bear it gladly
Someone has to take a stand against evil
Why should it not be me?
Stand my ground
- There's also the refrain from "Stand My Ground":
I won't give in
No more denying
I've gotta face it
Won't close my eyes and hide the truth inside
If I don't make it, someone else will
Stand my ground
- Clutch has many songs that qualify, but "High Caliber Consecrator" is a particularly straightforward example:We'll thresh the psyche, and till the pride
Distill the blood, proclaim the gun divine
Damn the foul ego, praise the promised swarm
We are the ploughshare, and yet we are the sword
- The entire song of Otherwise's song 'Soldiers' could count, but especially the chorus:We are the one who will never be broken
With our final breath, we'll fight to the death
We are soldiers, we are soldiers
You can't erase us
You'll just have to face us
- The Offspring has "Defy you":You may push me around
But you cannot win
You may throw me down
But I'll rise again
The more you say
The more I defy you
So get out of my face
You cannot stop us
You cannot bring us down
Never give up
We go on and on
You'll never break us
Never bring us down
We are alive!
- Coheed and Cambria's "The Crowing" has:I fought the decisions that called and lost.My mark is the relevant piece in this,I will come reformed.In short, for the murders of those I court,I bless the hour that holds your fall.I will kill you all!
- Shinedown has a pretty good one at the beginning of their music video for "Unity"We will not fallBecause we have each other,We will not fallBecause we are brothers.We will not fallBecause we have love,We will not fall,Because we will rise above.
- Slayer's Jihad is frighteningly inspiring.Be optomistic, happy, and calmshow no fear, or anxietysmile at the face of Godand your reward will be eternityHoly Warriors, your patience will be justifiedEverything is for HimYou must not comfort the animal before you kill itStrike as champions at the heart of the non-believers!Strike above the neck, and at all extremities!For it is the point of no return for Almighty God!GOD will give victory to his faithful!When you reach Ground Zero, you will have KILLED the enemy:THE GREAT SATAN!!!
- Power Metal band Bloodbound has one in their song, Together we FightI pledge allegiance,To goblins and heathens,March by my side,Together we fight.Join my battalion,And serve the medallion,Slay by my side,Together we fight.
- Through the fire and the flames we carry onnnn!!!!!!
- Blue Öyster Cult did one for the Tarachian warriors in Heavy Metal the Movie:To defend, this is the Pact!But when life's scorned, and damage doneTo avenge, this is the Pact!
- The badass opening to "The Devil's Deadly Weapon" by British heavy metallers Hell:Who live by the sword shall likewise die, and in their bloody beds shall lieI pledge myself to slay this beast, and when this deed is done shall IIn noble death or glory rest, when breath has fled its savage breastThis loathsome task I must perform, and thus my earthly fate is swornGod's hideous carnage wrought upon - The Devil's Deadly Weapon!
- American metal band Oteps song 'Run for Cover'Even Jesus worships meI bow down to noneYour little light is like a candletrying to outshine the sun
- Otherwise's "Soldiers" is one in total.We are the ones who will never be brokenWith our final breathWe'll fight to the deathWe are soldiers, we are soldiersWe are the ones who will not go unspokenNo, we will not sleepWe are not sheepWe are soldiers, we are soldiers
- Petra adapted the Apostles' Creed to Christian Rock, giving the stodgy old statement a much harder feel. Then they added this chorus for an extra Badass Boast:This is my creed, the witness I have heard,The faith that has endured, this truth is assured.Through the darkest ages pastThough persecuted, it will lastAnd I will hold steadfast to this creed!
- Christian metal band POD with The Messenjah:This I pledge and I'll take it to my deathI'll lay my life down for you and die over againI and I, I'm not ashamed of the Most HighEven if I die tonight, if I die TONIGHT!This I pledge and I'll take it to my deathYou bet your life on my words and everything I sayYou can't take away my love for this sacrificeEven if I die tonight, if I die TONIGHT!MAKE WAY!!!
Badass Creed / Music