- In the Daria Expanded Universe Fan Fic series ' Tales of the Ringbearers ', The Ringbearer's Creed:We are the Ringbearers
We are the light that drives back the darkness
We are the wall that no evil can breach
We are the staff and the sword that shall defend life
We are the fire that will light the way to tomorrow
Our Rings are Forever. We are Forever.
Our enemies fall, from low and high
- Not to be outdone, those who wear the corrupted versions of the Rings - the Ringwraiths - have their own creed, which is infinitely more badass:
To salted earth, through burning sky
And all shall know our Ringwraith's cry
Let Vengeance Ring - and all hope die!
- A Crown of Stars:
- The motto of the crew of HMS Asuka Langley Sohryu, the Red Devils:"I Will Fight Beyond Death"
- The motto of the Clan Guards: "Morior Invictus" (I Die Unconquered)
- The Avalonian prayer before deploying for a mission:‘Lord and Lady with us
To watch over us
And stand beside us
As we fight for the right,
Without question or pause
Willing to march into Hell,
For a Heavenly cause
Be with us this hour
From the first brightness of the sun
To the last dying of the light
Until the day we all rise up
So mote it be.’
- The motto of the crew of HMS Asuka Langley Sohryu, the Red Devils:
- Evangelion 303: The Evangelion pilots' motto -chosen by themselves- is:Forget the taxpayer,
We got Hell to pay.
- The Epic Tiberium Wars Fan Fic has this from a Mammoth Tank crewman:Yea verily, though I charge through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am driving a house-sized mass of "fuck you."
We have sworn our lives in the service of the Brotherhood.
- The Black Hand have their own, more solemn creed:
In Brotherhood, we are all equal.
Within our Brotherhood, we are united.
Within unity, we are victorious.
By attaining unity, we strive for peace.
With our lives, we sacrifice to bring peace to the Brotherhood.
Through our lives, we bring power to the Brotherhood. With power, the Brotherhood brings peace.
Peace through power.
In the name of Kane.
- From Chapter 35 of Diashi Prime's Lyrical Nanoha Fan Fic "Endless Waltz" comes what will become the Creed and Oaths of the Twilight Paladins:"I stand between the Light and the Darkness, between the Innocent and the Monstrous, between the Just and the Vile. I dwell at the edge of Darkness, that others may live in the Light. I am a Twilight Paladin. As such, I hereby take these oaths:"Upon my honor, upon my soul, upon my magic and my hope for redemption, I swear to never again kill a thinking being."Upon my honor, upon my soul, upon my magic and my hope for redemption, I swear to seek and serve justice to the limit of my capacity and the best of my understanding."Lastly, I swear my magic, my skills, and my life to your defense and your service."
- Chapter 12 of CSS.Stravag's "Legend Of The Jokers Wild Revised" has this:"I am the Archangel of Solace, bound forever to those who wish not to go quietly into the night. I will not rest until it is assured that Existence is not damned to annihilation in the days of Ragnarok. So is my duty written, so shall it be."
- Shadow Crystal Mage's Takamachi Nanoha of 2814 has the Wolkenritter Oath,
though so far only in the omake material and pollsfinally appearing in chapter 15:“In days of peace, in times of war,Protect our Queen forever more!The five Clouds stand, we are her Knights!To guard Hayate, our delight!”
"With Blood and Rage of crimson red,Ripped from a Corpse so freshly dead.Together with my hellish hate,I swear none other shall share my fate!""I am the one who has been given a mission. Under the contract, release these powers. The winds are in the sky, the stars are in the heavens, the light is in my hands and the power is in my heart! And I shall shed my light over dark evil, for the dark things cannot stand the light, the light of the Green Lantern! Raging Heart Emerald Excelion, Set Up!"*pose*"Magical Girl Green Lantern, Zenryoku Zenkai! Ready for action!"
- Also, an altered Red Lantern Oath:
- A Fanfiction by the name of "Standing Tall" from the now defunct site Second Impact hosted, is delivered by Gendo Ikari to the face of a newly-restored Adam, describing human determination."Bring your thousands, I have my axe.""Bring your cannons, I have my armor.""Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
"If I am alone, why can I hear their voices?""If I am a doll, why do I feel their tears?""I am not alone. Shinji is my brother.""I am not a doll. Asuka is my sister."
- Also, Rei reverse-mindfucking Lilith, when the skinny girl literally thrusts her belief in life into Lilith's core in addition to the Lance of Longinus.
- Toy Hammer has this gem from a
Space Marinein a world of Warhammer 40,000, just as he activates a wall of gatling guns to shred a pack of advancing daemons:"THOUGH I FACE THE SHADOWS OF THE WARP,I SHALL FEAR NO EVIL, I SHALL FEAR NO FOE!
- One of the Space Marine battle-brothers, though, does call out on the lack of sense of that last line.
- From the Ranma/Sailor Moon fanfic, ParagonFrom out of darkness comes a light.From out of Chaos comes a champion.To attack the innocent for your dark ambitions can never be forgiven.Judgment has been made— and you are found wanting.
- The author of Zero's Shock has posted a pair of Badass Creeds in the style of Archer's Unlimited Blade Works chant based around Jack's Bee Plasmid. They can be found here, for the first one that would be in the centerpiece of a Moment of Awesome, and here, which is a Funny Moment in itself.
- From the TinMan fanfic "Tin," there's the Tin Man Oath of Service:I swear to defend with my axeAnd to shield with my tin,The safety of the innocent that is more dear than my own,From the smallest insect to the greatest monarch.I protect the good from the wicked; so I must be pure of heartI defend the truth; so I must never lie.Standing guard so others may rest, I work and do not tire.I am prepared at any moment to give my life for those I protect.Despite the hardships this vow may bring,I take this oath freely, and with all my heart.I serve and protect the Land of Oz.I am a Tin Man.
- "We're Power Rangers! We don't quit, we don't surrender, and most importantly, WE DON'T LOSE!!"
- There is a fic where the main character's creed is "(I am) a fallen angel, a risen demon, a gargoyle guarding a church of sin and despair. I am vengeance made manifest. Nox Denticula. Night's fang. Dammed lot, stained with the blood of the innocent. I pronounce you guilty. And the guilty shall be punished for their crimes!"
- Not literally from a fanfic, but the hypothetical Orange Lantern oath:This Power is mine, this is my light,No-one can take what gives me Might,I claim to all within my SightI want, I take, that is my Right.
- A Hero has the Dalek Creed, said while slaughtering 400+ familiars. (This is the actual Dalek Creed as written by Terry Nation, actually.)DE-STROY WITH-OUT MER-CY!A-TTACK WITH-OUT FEAR!LIVE WITH-OUT CON-SCIENCE!EX-TER-MIN-ATE WITH-OUT PI-TY!KILL!KILL!KILL!KILL!
- Godric Gryffindor:Non est salvatori salvator,neque defensori dominus,nec pater nec mater,nihil supernum.(No rescuer hath the rescuer.No Lord hath the champion,no mother and no father,only nothingness above.)
- A lost Spiral Knights fanfic had one recorded by Parma who had been transformed into a guardian of the Core.I close my eyes and all I can see is utter darkness, the same darkness I saw when awake.Far beyond the ashes of the castle.We wait within the core and we wait for those who would take it from us.They will not succeed.
- In Frozen Hearts, Prince Hans recites this list of what a prince must be. The last part becomes his Survival Mantra.
- The Legio Terminatus in Shinji And Warhammer 40 K recite their creed as they go to battle:"THIS CITY IS TAINTED. PURGE IT! WITH BOLT AND SWORD AND FIRE!THERE IS ONLY THE LAST RITES, THE BLESSING OF PURITYWE ANOINT YOU WITH FIRE, GO IN PEACE TO YOUR RESTWE ARE SWORN TO PROTECT, WE ARE GIVEN TO PRESERVE...WE RELEASE YOU FROM YOUR TORTURED THRALL...TO ALLIES WE GIVE HONOR, TO ENEMIES OF MAN, RUIN!KNOW THAT WE ARE TERMINATUS LEGIO, HERAKLITUS,THE FINAL WORD IS HERE, WE SHALL END YOUOUR DUTY IS HONOR, AND DEATH IS OUR REWARD,FOR WE ARE THE CHOSEN, AND WE SHALL KNOW NO FEARWE CARRY THE LIGHTNING, WE BRING THE THUNDER!WE HOLD THE STRENGTH TO LET HUMANITY PROSPERWE CARRY THE VIRTUE TO SMASH ITS ENEMIES INTO DUST!THERE IS NO ENEMY BEYOND OUR MIGHT!THERE IS NO SAFETY AGAINST OUR WRATH!WE ARE PROUD TO LIVE, WE ARE PROUD TO DIE!WE ARE FORGED IN WAR, WE ARE TEMPERED IN BLOODIN OUR SOULS WE CRAFT THE VICTORY OF ALL MANKIND!BURN, HERETIC! BURN IN CLEANSING FLAME!REJOICE IN THE FIRES OF YOUR ABSOLUTION!TO THE DARKNESS, WE BRING FIRE!TO THE IGNORANT WE BRING FAITH!TO THE HELPLESS WE GIVE OUR HAND,TO THE CORRUPT WE GIVE OUR FIST!"
- MLP Next Generation: Know Fear!: When Starburst becomes the Fear Lantern, she uses the Sinestro Corps oath, though tweaked to replace "Sinestro's might" with "Fear Lantern's light". At the climax, however, she retools it completely during her Heroic Second Wind moment in her rematch against Nox/Shadow Wing:“In twilight’s dusk, in moonlit night,Evil shall cower before my might!When darkness comes to cloud my sight,I’ll shine like my power – Fear Lantern’s light!!!”
“To take what I want, that is my right,I’ll steal your heart in the black of my night!See my moon glow that is my sign,The Night, the Stars, and the Light…ARE MINE!!!”
- In the sequel, as the Orange Corps has no known oath, Nidra creates one on the spot after finally giving in and subsequently wiping the floor with Luna, and stealing her powers.
"From the warm embrace of Celestia's light,"To the cool breeze of Luna's night,"I bring many wonders from my ring of light,"My love gives me strength... from my sapphire light!"
- Annie keeps to the Star Sapphires' traditional oath for most of the story, but coins a new one when escaping from the Sensory Deprivation dimension Nidra put her in:
- In the MLP / Green Lantern crossover; In Brightest Day, anyone with a ring has one. However they all tend to change it to their liking:
My Blackest Night spreads through the skies,
- Nightmare Moon and her Black Lanterns:
Let darkness grow as all light dies,
We'll crave your hearts and your demise,
By my dark will...The dead shall rise!"
In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night,
- Green Lantern Applejack:
I will not flee from evil’s sight!
When evil rises and wields it's might,
Beware my power - Green Lantern’s light!
In Blackest Day, In Brightest Night,
- Yellow Lantern Corps Twilight Sparkle:
Beware your fears made by my light,
To those who dare challenge my might,
Burn like my power... Fear's vengeful Light!
"With blazing flames of raging red,
- Red Lantern Rainbow Dash:
From Tartarus depths we bring great dread.
With crimson storms of burning hate,
We'll burn you all...That is your fate!!
- From the Emerald Flame Series, Xander has a modified version of the Green Lantern creed."In any hell, on any Earth,Nothing's changed since this oath's birth,Let all who would try to end this EarthRun now, run fast, for all they're worth.It won't help them anyway."
- In The Hell-er-Nator, the Sunnydale Irregulars have a simple one."We're Tech-Comm, North American Resistance Command, the First Sunnydale Irregulars, and we don't lose. Ever."
- In the Assassin's Creed II Novelization, the authors of the series expand on the creed by adding stanza's that complement the role of the Assassin order in society. They punctuate the fact that Assassin's are the silent sentinels of human liberty.
- In Young Justice fanfic With This Ring, the Self Insert Orange Lantern has a couple of different oaths to fit his state of mind or the moral alignment.
This is my power
- Orange Lantern's initial oath:
This is my light.
Be it bright of day or black of night.
I claim all that lies within my sight.
TO TAKE WHAT I WANT, THAT IS MY RIGHT!
This is my cause, this is my fight!
- Paragon!Orange Lantern's oath post- Orange Enlightenment.
Shine through the void with orange light!
I've claimed all within my sight!
To keep what is mine, that is my right!
This is my power, this is my might!
- Renegade!Orange Lantern's oath
I stand alone in darkest night!
With this ring, my foes I smite!
I conquer all with orange light!
- Not fanfics per se, but fans seem to have fun coming up with crossover versions of the Green Lantern Oath:
Freedom is a sacred right
- This one for Optimus Prime:
All sentient beings are for who I fight
Let only evil know fear and doubt
Green Lantern Corps: TRANSFORM AND ROLL OUT!
Spiral power shining bright!
- This one for Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann:
Anti-Spirals flee from sight!
Piercing heavens near and far
WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?
- Lyrical Nanoha's Star Sapphire Oath:
- From the story Wings To Fly comes the traditional motto of the 22nd Preventer Space Mobile Suit Squadron aka Lightning Squadron:Dyer: We're Lightning. We strike.
- In The Hill of Swords, there is Shirou's Unlimited Blade Works aria:I am the bone of my sword.Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.I have created over a thousand blades.Unaware of loss, nor aware of gain.Withstood pain to create weapons, waiting for one's arrival.I have no regrets; this is the only path.My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works!
- The Star Trek Online fic A Voice in the Wilderness puts a twist on the Badass Creed of the Borg Collective because the ships in question have been taken over by the original Borg Queen, One of One:"Surrender your vessel. Your technological and biological distinctiveness are immaterial. You will be assimilated into the whole and perfected. I am the Borg. Resistance is futile."
- In Child of the Storm, Carol gets one during the Final Battle when she becomes the new Green Lantern:No matter your power, no matter your might,
I shatter the dark with the brightest light,
And I swear that before I am done,
Darkness will flee and demons will run!
- Triptych Continuum: In Twilight Sparkle Vs The Equestrian Cutie Mark Constellation Registry, Princess Luna cements her role as The Sacred Darkness with one. Note, she doesn't actually say these lines, but what Twilight Sparkle hears when she inadvertently witnesses Luna raise the moon first-hoof and is caught up in the magic emotional backwash....the safety of the day is a lieMonsters walk under Sun, and some wear pony skinsTo guard against them, one stands readyBut other monsters move under Moon, seek their prey by starlightDark things travel through the nightI know, for I am one of themAnd to all those who journey beneath my sky to prey upon my charges, bewareFor I stand against youAnd in time, you will meet me coming the other way...
- In Entities Of Emotion, most of the Entities get new ones when they gain Willing Channelers.
“In blackest day, in brightest night,
- Parallax and Chrysalis:
Beware your fears made into light!
Let those who try to stop my fright,
Burn like my power – terror’s might!”
“This power is mine, this is my light,
- Ophidian and Spike:
Be it in Bright of Day or Black of Night!
I lay claim to all that falls within my sight,
To take what is MINE, that is my right!”
“In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night,
- Ion and Applejack:
We will stand against evil’s blight!
Let all those who doubt our might,
Behold this power – Will’s grand light!”
“In fearful day, in raging night,
- Adara and Scootaloo:
With our wings we now take flight!
Open your eyes and see this sight,
All will be well – Hope’s shining light!”
“In Blackest Night, when fear may show,
- Proselyte and Fluttershy:
Like Brightest Day, let our power glow!
Unite as one as our feelings grow,
Through Compassion’s light we dispel all woe!”
“For hearts long lost and black as night,
- Predator and Cadence:
For those filled with sorrow and spite!
Accept this power, let it shine bright,
Triumph forevermore – Love’s violet light!”
“The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
- In the sequel, King Sombra gets one after becoming the new leader of the Black Lanterns (though the Lanterns themselves change "By my command" to "By Sombra's command"):
Let us hear your deathly cries!
We’ll twist your souls as your light dies,
By my command the dead shall RISE!”
“What’s mine is yours, and you are mine,
- After Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon jointly become Ophidian's new hosts, they create a new Orange Lantern oath:
Joined together until the end of time!
My body and soul, my very core,
The light and you, mine forevermore!”
“The power of the crimson red,
- Butcher and Gilda after she becomes his host:
Will burn away the blackest dread!
Together with power and might,
Our fury will shine – this scarlet light!”
“From shimmering day, unto darkest night,
- Predator changes up her creed when she takes Chrysalis as a temporary new host:
My love will stand against all spite!
When evil shows and bellows with might,
I’ll stand in arms with my violet light!”
“Youse who are evil, sinister and dead
- Babs coins one when she becomes Parallax's host. He doesn't entirely like her word choice:
I’m the scariest thing you’ll ever dread!
Come on you creeps, show your might,
I’ll crush you all with Fear’s yellow light! Yowza!”
- God Slaying Blade Works has Shirou's Unlimited Blade Works aria.I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body and fire is my blood.
I have been reforged as if a thousand blades.
Refined and forged, hammered and tempered.
Given form, given purpose, I continue to my arrival.
I have no regrets; this is the path I choose.
My strongest steel lies in... Unlimited Blade Works.
- Fate/Long Night:
- The seven Champions apparently have creeds defining them.
- After Illya becomes a queen, she decides to take on House Words to reflect Westeros traditions. She chooses "Durch Sieg Gesablt", which means "By Victory Anointed" in German.
- Chaos Theory has Shirou's Unlimited Blade Works aria.I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Blind to the future.
Fleeing the past.
Withstood pain to create many weapons, each one a guiding light.
The paths are infinite, but I can only walk the one I've chosen.
The road ascending, carved by Unlimited Blade Works.
- In any of RWBY stories by Coeur Al'Aran, whenever someone unlocks another person's aura, they recite a short chant. Each one of those follows the formula similar to the one Pyrrha used in the show, but with several changes to emphasise the given character's personality and ideals.Roman: For it is in our infamy that we achieve immortality, through this we become a paragon of deceitful glory to rise above all others. Infinite in potential and unbound by laws, I release your soul, and by my shoulder, set thee free.Nicolas Arc: For it is in our passing that we achieve immortality. By our example we become a martyr for the glory of others. Selfless in sacrifice, bound by duty, I realese your soul... and by my hand... place this burden upon thee.Cinder: It is in our darkest moments that we achieve strenght. Through suffering, we gain the power to shape our own destiny. Infinite in potential and unbound by expectation, I release your soul, and by my hand, empower thee.
- To Emulate a Fake has Shirou create a new Unlimited Blade Works aria.I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
Have suffered loss unaware of the pain caused to what I've gained.
My home is where I make my stand, wherever that may be.
My path is true, and my life will forever be... Unlimited Blade Works!
Badass Creed / Fan Fic