- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Oh, boy... WHERE THE HELL DO WE EVEN START?
- "Go Beyond the Impossible and kick reason to the curb! That's the Gurren-dan way!"
- "Libera Me from Hell" has this in the lyrics:"Do the impossible
See the invisible
ROW! ROW! FIGHT THE POWER!
Touch the untouchable
Break the unbreakable!
ROW! ROW! FIGHT THE POWER!"
- "Who the hell do you think I am?"
- The entirety of Dai Gurren-dan in the beginning of the final episode, each one contributing a line, with the entire ensemble joining in during the last few lines:Nia: Even when trapped by karma's cycle...
Yoko: ...The dreams we left behind will open the door!
Leeron: Even if the Universe stands in our way...
Viral: ...our seething blood will determine what will be!
Simon: We'll break through time and space!
All: And defy all who would stop us, to grab hold of our path!
Simon: Tengen Toppa... Gurren Lagann!
All: JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
- Similarly, Episode 8 - the series' most bittersweet - has this:Kamina: We brawlers are sustained by willpower! Even when mocked as reckless and crazy!
Simon: If there's a wall in our way, then we smash it down! If there isn't a path, then we carve it out ourselves!
Both: The magma of our souls burns with a mighty flame! Super Ultra Combining, Gurren Lagann!
Simon: JUST WHO!
Kamina: IN THE HELL!
Both: ...DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
- Bonus points to Kamina for having badassed himself back to life in order to deliver this speech. A nearby volcano spontaneously explodes right after they finish their speech, as if saying, "Word."
- Also, "My drill is the drill that will pierce the heavens." By the last episode, it decides to create them instead for some reason.
- It's easy to destroy something, even the heavens themselves. But by saying that he creates the heavens, he has surpassed who he was before.
- Every time Roger Smith powers up The Big O, the internal display flashes the message "Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty".
- This also applies to the other Megadeuses (Big Duo and Big Fau); when the message changes, something's gone wrong. Most notably, when Big Duo rejects and kills Alan Gabriel, the message is simply "YE GUILTY".
- The titular Devil Hunter Yohko"I hold no enmity against those coerced into evil, but to those vile beings who toy with the hearts and souls of men, since the time of ancient gods, we have been your destroyers! Now the 108th Devil Hunter Yohko is here!"
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica
"If any rule or law stands in the way of that...I will destroy it. I will rewrite it. That is my prayer...That is my wish. Now! Grant my wish... ...Incubator!"
- Madoka's wish.
- Naruto 'Ninja Way'I never give up, and I never go back on my word. That's my ninja way!— Naruto''In Root, you have no name. You have no feelings. You have no past. You have no future. There is only the mission.— ANBU Root
- Fate/stay night
- Archer's aria to call forth Unlimited Blade Works:I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.
- Then there's the literal translation as opposed to the official Engrish:His body is made out of swords.
His blood is of iron and his heart of glass.
He survived through countless battles.
Not even once retreating,
Not even once being understood.
He was always alone.
Intoxicated with victory in a hill of swords.
Thus, his life has no meaning.
That body was certainly made out of swords.
- Later adopted by Shirou:I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Unaware of loss.
Nor aware of gain.
Withstood pain to create weapons, waiting for one's arrival.
I have no regrets, this is the only path.
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works.
- Non-EngrishHis body is made out of swords.
His blood is of iron and his heart of glass.
He survived through countless battles.
Not even once retreating.
Not even once being victorious.
The bearer lies here alone.
Forging iron in a hill of swords.
Thus, my life needs no meaning.
This body is made out of infinite swords.
- Also, Kotomine has one as a spell invocation:I will kill. I will let live. I will harm and heal. None will escape me. None will escape my sight.
I welcome those who have grown old and those who have lost.
Devote yourself to me, learn from me, and obey me.
Rest. Do not forget song, do not forget prayer, and do not forget me.
I am light and relieve you of all your burdens.
Do not pretend. Retribution for forgiveness, betrayal for trust, despair for hope, darkness for light, dark death for the living.
Relief is in my hands. I will add oil to your sins and leave a mark.
Eternal life is given through death.
Ask for forgiveness here. I, the incarnation, will swear.
— Kyrie Eleison
- The chant to Archer's ultimate technique:Spirit and technique, flawless and firm,
Our strength rips the mountains,
Our swords split the water,
Our names reach the imperial villa,
The two of us cannot hold heavens together
Two great men, sharing a life!
- Archer's aria to call forth Unlimited Blade Works:
- The creed of the Lovelace family from Black Lagoon:Una bendición por los vivos, una rama de flor por los muertos.
Con una espada por la justicia, un castigo de muerte para los malvados.
Así llegaremos en el altar de los santos.
A blessing for the living, a bunch of flowers for the dead.
With a sword of justice, a punishment of death for the wicked.
Thus shall we arrive at the altar of the saints.
"In the name of Santa Maria, a hammer blow of righteousness to all injustice."
- Roberta's oath as the Bloodhound of Florencia:
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sailor.
- A chapter-length example from the manga:We ask o' thee: Whit art thou?
We are Iscariot, the Zealot Judas!
In that case, Iscariot, we ask o' thee: Whit dost thou hold in thy right hand?
Daggers and poisons!
In that case, Iscariot, we ask o' thee: Whit dost thou hold in thy left hand?
Thirty silver pieces and a rope!
In that case, Iscariot, whit art thou?
As apostles, yet not as apostles.
As adherents, yet not as adherents.
As believers, yet not as believers.
As traitors, yet not as traitors.
We are disciples of death, the Death Disciple Group,
Only bowing and praying forgiveness of the Lord;
Only bowing and defeating the enemies of the Lord.
Wielding our dagger in the night and poisoning the evening meal,
We are assassins; the Assassin Judas.
When the time comes, we shall cast our thirty silver pieces at the altar
And hang thy head from our rope.
Thereby we shall fall to Hell in cabal.
Lined up in square formation, we seek to do battle with the 7405926 demons of Hell.
- Rip van Winkle also uses one:
My bullets punish all without distinction!
- The creed of Hellsing themselves:In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.
- The title quote of Hellsing Ultimate, which later turns out to be one of these. Though it makes little sense out of context (and only half IN context), it probably still counts.The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
- A chapter-length example from the manga:
- Busou Renkin gives us a badass creed for a rather pathetic organization, the L.X.E. In call-and-response form, as it's also the sign-countersign password:
片手にピストル (In my hand, a pistol)
- The Japanese version was taken word for word from the refrain of Samurai, a song by Kenji Sawada:
心に花束 (In my heart, a bouquet)
唇に火の酒 (On my lips, fiery liquor)
背中に人生を (On my back, that is life)
"In one's hand?"
- The English-dubbed anime version was a direct translation:
"In one's heart?"
"A bouquet of flowers."
"On one's lips?"
"Liquor of fire."
"On one's back?"
"From the earth?"
- The Viz English manga version was entirely censored:
"A base metal."
"From the sky?"
"From my veins?"
"The fate of the world..."
[Dramatic pose] "Is on my back!"
- Tokiko Tsumura has one as her catchphrase."I'll splatter your guts!"
- Justin Law has one that gets recited before his Law Abiding Silver Gun attack:"We, the people of the city of death, beseech you, our God, as Christ is just
Oh God, let me be an instrument of your peace
I am a pillar of justice
A blade of faith
In the name of the father, and of the son, and of the holy spirit
"Law Abiding Silver Gun"
- One Piece: Sanji has these from time to time... at least when he's in battle."Cooking is a gift from Heaven, Spices are a gift from Hell. Looks like the meal was too spicy for you."
"Scars on the back are a swordsman's shame."
- Two things: He's a chef, and he's just learned to battle with a flaming leg when he says this.
- Zoro's also got one:
- The titular creed from Noir:"Noir. It is the name of an ancient fate. Two maidens who govern death. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Noir. It is the name of an ancient fate. Two maidens who govern death. To the depths of Hell's fire, their black souls lure the lost children.
Noir. It is the name of an ancient fate. Two maidens who govern death. To ward the darkness from the nursing babes, their black robes serve as shields."
- Valvrave the Liberator features one from The Magius Council:"We are the Magius. We govern the world from the shadows."
- Saiyuki used an interesting one in the promos and trailers of the English dub, taken from the Chin Yisou episodes. It's an explanation of "muichimotsu," "hold nothing," and something Sanzo's master taught him."If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha. If you meet your father, kill your father. Free of everything, you are bound by nothing. Live the life that is given to you."
- Bleach: Mayuri created Nemu with the mission to learn and develop, and to never act outside his orders. When Mayuri struggles in battle against Pernida, she enters the fight without waiting for his orders and saves his life. She dismisses his anger and disobeying his orders and putting his research (her creation and existence) at risk, by stating she's realised what her mission really is: the only way she can truly prove to Mayuri how much she's learned and developed is by using all of her abilities to protect his life. After this declaration, Mayuri reluctantly accepts he has to let her fight Pernida on his behalf.Mayuri: Nemu!! You... How do you have this level of power?!Nemu: It is the power you bestowed upon me, Mayuri-sama. This body, this shinigami body that Mayuri-sama has entrusted me with... I have drawn this out by pushing my system to within 0.8% of its threshold.Mayuri: Why, you little...Nemu: Do not worry. I can continue this level of power output for another 400 seconds.Mayuri: Don't you dare get flippant with me! I don't recall ever giving you this kind of order!Nemu: It wasn't an order. It is my purpose. My purpose is to protect Mayuri-sama.Mayuri: Wrong!! Your purpose is to mature and develop!!Nemu: And by protecting Mayuri-sama, I can show you just how much I've matured and developed.
- They're only badass if they mean it. In Rurouni Kenshin, Saitoh Hajime has one of these:"Aku Soku Zan" ["Swift Death to Evil."]
- The Wolkenritter from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, after their resurrection.Signum: We are the the guardian knights who gather before our mistress, she of the night sky.Shamal: As long as our mistress exists, our souls will never extinguish.Zafira: As long as we have life in our bodies, we will stand by each other.Vita: We will always exist before our mistress, Queen of the Night Sky, Yagami Hayate.Hayate: Light of the Night Sky, come to my hand! Blessed Wind Reinforce! Set Up!
- Said creed also serves as an extremely epic announcement of the Queen of the Night Sky's (that is, Post-Unison Hayate) first arrival to the material plane, which also doubles as her Awesome Moment of Crowning of sorts. A bit of Fridge Brilliance there, as royalty usually send heralds before them to announce their presence.
- Nanoha, herself, has a creed. It was assumed at the beginning of the series that she had to say it as a password in order to activate Raising Heart and don her barrier jacket, but soon her talent allows her to activate it without a password. Nevertheless, here it is:"I am the one who has been given a mission.
Under the contract, release those powers onto me.
Winds to the sky, stars to the heavens.
And, the unyielding soul, to this heart!
Magic to these hands. Raising Heart, set up!"
- VICTORY GOES.....TO THOSE WITH COURAGE!!!
- The Oath Sworn through Courage, which was the heart of FINAL
- Also... LET'S BREAK STUFF!!!
- Hana's "Kowakunai, Kowakunai..." ("I'm not scared, I'm not scared...")
- Captain Harlock's declaration in Arcadia Of My Youth:"We will never surrender. We will never beg aid from others. And we will never fight under any other flag than this!"
- Sailor Moon: "In the Name of the Moon, I shall punish you!"
- The Devil Bats of Eyeshield 21 keep it simple. "WE'RE GONNA KILL 'EM...! YA-HA!" The White Knights have the much more subtle, "Glory on the kingdom!"
- From the Sakura Wars theme:[Sakura] "We will fight for justice!"[Maria] "Even if we have to risk our lives for the sake of this war!"[Kanna] "We will stand our ground!"[Iris] "Someday, this imperial capital ..."[Kouran] "Till the day the evil disappears ..."[Sumire] "We will continue to fight in this war!"[All] "We are the Imperial Flower Attack Group!"
- Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu gives us few, most memorable one:[Daiya] "You don't get it do you? You dont win because you strong. The ones who don't give up win in the end! That's why in the end the winners... Are we!!"
- Not giving up part doubles as Arc Words to be later used by Nouza.
- Le Chevalier d'Eon: When D'Eon de Beaumont is possessed by his deceased, secret agent sister Lia (it is a long story), she tends to drop some variant of this little gem from her inital post-mortem appearance:Lia: Deliver my soul.
Put them in fear, O Lord, that the nations may know themselves to be but men.
In the beginning was the Word; deliver my soul.
The Lord brings my soul out of trouble.
He cuts off my enemies, and destroys all those that afflict my soul.
In the name of that truth and loyalty, I shall take my vengeance.
- For the world and for the people, Daitarn 3 is here to smash evil ambitions. If you do not fear the shine of the Sun, then come and bring it!
- Mobile Fighter G Gundam: Domon Kasshu has one that he says every time he is about to use a Finishing Move. The most famous one is the one he uses to unleash Shining Finger.Its burning grip tells me to defeat you.Take this! My love! My anger! And all of my sorrow!Go! Go! GO!
This hand of mine is burning red!Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!And now... HEAT END!
- Eventually when he gets his Mid-Season Upgrade, the chant is changed to reflect the new attack.
The School of the Undefeated of the East!The Winds of the King!Zenshin!Keiretsu!Tenpa Kyouran!LOOK! THE EAST IS BURNING RED!
- This is only to be expected, being a technique from...
These hands of ours are burning red!Domon: Their loud cry tells us -Rain: -to grasp happiness!
- In the finale, when Domon and Rain prepare to defeat the Devil Gundam:
- The anime Spider Riders had a few examples. "Never Give Up!" being one of the most memorable. Aqune had the very badass "Oracle's Light!".
- Dragon Ball:
Goku: "You can destroy whole planets but you can never destroy what I am, friend!"Freeza: "You... what are you?!"Goku: "I am the hope of the universe! I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace! I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am Truth! Ally to good, nightmare to you!"
- The famous speech Goku has in the English dub, which ironically destroys his image as a selfish Blood Knight and puts him on superhero levels.
Goku: "The killing stops here. All you can see is the light shining through the cracks around the edges of the door, Baby. And you just don't think that little bit of light can overcome your dark plans. But what you can't see is what's behind the door. That's what I am. ... Light breaks the darkness. This form is my instrument. I have no limits."Baby: "What ARE you?"Goku: "I am the answer. The answer to all that is evil."
- The version in the redub Dragon Ball Kai is better (and also the first time Goku uses his full name in an English dub):Goku: "I'm a proud Saiyan who calls Earth home, and I'm here to defeat you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legend, pure of heart and awakened by fury, that's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
- Goku is pretty good at handing these out throughout a battle when he's fighting the Big Bad of the season. Here's an abridged version (no relation) from Dragon Ball GT (also dub version):
- In Code:Breaker, each member of the eponymous group has their own personal version of the Code of Hammurabi, which they all use as their Creed, and also gives insight to each of their personalities
An Eye for an Eye, a Tooth for a Tooth, and Evil for Evil
- Oogami's as well as the ones the Angels use later on in the manga to seduce those that'd lost loved ones to evil
An Eye for an Eye, a Tooth for a Tooth, and the Steel Hammer of Justice for Evil
An Eye for an Eye, a Tooth for a Tooth, and the Requiem of Fury for Evil
An Eye for an Eye, a Tooth for a Tooth, and the Eternal Shackles for EvilAn Eye for an Eye, a Tooth for a Tooth, and the Eternal Sleep for the Dead
- Heike's two
An Eye for an Eye, a Tooth for a Tooth, and the Punishment of Death for EvilAn Eye for an Eye, a Tooth for a Tooth, and the Image of Retribution for Evil
- Prince's two
- Ergo Proxy has Vincent Law's, said by Proxy One near the beginning of the series, and then finally by Vincent himself as the last line of the series:I am Ergo Proxy - the agent of death.
- In Girls und Panzer, Shiho Nishizumi, mother of Miho and Maho, sums up her family's philosophy on tankery.Shiho: "If you shoot, you hit, if you defend, you defend strong, if you advance, you advance without falter. Iron rules and a heart of steel. That is what defines the Nishizumi school."
Maho: Nishizumi-ryuu Panzer-kraft means always finding a way to move forward.
- In a flashback in the Little Army prequel manga, Maho tells this to Miho.
Maho: The Nishizumis do not withdraw from battles.
- Toward the end of the final battle, as Maho is trapped fighting Miho's tank one-on-one, she has this to say.
- Attack on Titan: Right there in the first line of the theme: "Are you the prey? No, we are the hunters!"
- High School D×D has Issei and Vali's chants to unleash Juggernaut Drive
- Issei's is:I, who is about to awaken,
Am the Heavenly Dragon who has stolen the principles of domination from God
I laugh at the "infinite", and I grieve at the "dream"
I shall become the Red Dragon of Domination
And I shall sink you to the depths of the crimson purgatory!
- Vali's is:I, who is about to awaken,
Am the Heavenly Dragon who has taken the principles of supremacy from God
I envy the "infinite" and I pursue the "dream"
I shall become the White Dragon of Supremacy
And I shall take you to the limits of white paradise.
- Issei's is:
- Aria the Scarlet Ammo:I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target.— Reki
- The creed of the U.A. academy from My Hero Academia:"Go beyond. PLUS ULTRA!" note
- NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!
Badass Creed / Anime & Manga