Tropes A (Adaptational Attractiveness, Adaptational Badass, Adaptational Heroism, Adaptational Modesty, Adaptational Villainy, Adaptational Wimp, Adaptation Distillation, Adaptation Dye-Job, Adaptation Expansion, Adaptation Explanation Extrication, Adaptation-Induced Plot Hole, Adaptation Name Change, Adaptation Personality Change, Adaptation Relationship Overhaul, Adapted Out, Age Lift, Animal Motifs, Ascended Extra, Asshole Victim, As You Know) | Tropes B (Badass Boast, Bait-and-Switch, Bullying a Dragon) | Tropes C to D (Call-Back, Canon Foreigner, Composite Character, Cruel and Unusual Death, Death by Adaptation, Demoted to Extra, Due to the Dead) | Tropes E to F (Establishing Character Moment, Famous Last Words, Fan Disservice, Fantasy Counterpart Culture, Foil, Foreshadowing) | Tropes G to K (Hate Sink, Jerkass Has a Point) | Tropes L to O (Leitmotif, Oh, Crap!) | Tropes P to S (Pragmatic Adaptation, Surprisingly Realistic Outcome) | Tropes T to Z (Wham Episode)
A lot of these are present in the show:
All spoilers are unmarked.
- The words of most noble houses count.
- House Baratheon's is "Ours is the Fury".
- House Greyjoy's motto "We Do Not Sow" they are not content to live menial lives as laborers or slaves, they are conquerors and they will take what is theirs with iron and strength. "What is dead may never die!" is also often used as such.
- House Martell's is "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken." In the books, the motto reflects Dorne's successful resistance against two Targaryen attempts at conquest. Dorne only joined the realm two centuries after Aegon's attempt, peacefully and by marriage. As a result, Dorne is far more autonomous than any of the other kingdoms, and House Martell (who would be Lords Paramount in any other region) are allowed to continue calling themselves princes and princesses.
- One exception is the Starks' "Winter is Coming," which is meant as a warning and also indicates a great concern for their subjects but Robb manages to make it one when he declares that Tywin Lannister should be told that winter is coming for him as 20000 Northerners were marching south to find out if he really does shit gold. Later Arya finds a way to use it as a boast.Arya Stark: When people ask you what happened here, tell them the North remembers. Tell them winter came for House Frey.
- Even the Tyrell's "Growing Strong", which refers to their bountiful lands and large populace is one, regardless of Olenna's snarking that they don't have a big scary animal on their coat of arms (their symbol is a golden rose) and they are the dullest words of any house: while other factions suffer from war and weather, the Tyrells and the Reach steadily grow in food, wealth, and strength. Played straighter when one applies it to their actions over the course of the show, rising to equal the Lannisters as the two most powerful families in Westeros, and with the revelation that the Lannisters are almost bankrupt, they're on their way to surpassing them, at least until the Season 6 finale.
- According to supplementary material, House Cerwyn's motto is "Honed and Ready".
- Master Luwin tells Bran back in Season 1 that House Hornwood's motto is "Righteous In Wrath", which is pretty foreboding.
- And as evil as they are, the Boltons' motto "Our Blades Are Sharp" should not be discounted.
- Ned declares that even if the Dothraki do cross the Narrow Sea, he and Robert will simply toss them back into the sea.
- On first seeing the Eyrie and hearing that it's supposed to be impregnable, Bronn offhandedly says "Give me ten good men and some climbing spikes, I'll impregnate the bitch".
- Gets a memorable Call-Back from Tyrion himself in Season 7, when he refers to Casterly Rock the same way.
- Tyrion delivers one on behalf of his brother in "The Wolf and the Lion".Lysa: These men are knights of the Vale. Every one of them loved Jon Arryn, every one of them would die for me.
Tyrion: If any harm comes to me, my brother Jaime will see that they do.
- Arya delivers one to a pair of gold cloaks twice her size: "My father is Hand of the King. I'm not a boy, I'm Arya Stark of Winterfell, and if you lay a hand on me my father will have both your heads on spikes. Now, are you going to let me by or do I have to smack you on the ear to help with your hearing?"
- Khal Drogo gives an entire Rousing Speech composed of this:"I will take my khalasar west to where the world ends and ride the wooden horses across the black salt water as no khal has done before! I will kill the men in iron suits and tear down their stone houses! I will rape their women, take their children as slaves, and bring their broken gods back to Vaes Dothrak."
- When insulted by several guardsmen while armed with only a wooden sword, Syrio Forel declares, "I am Syrio Forel, and you will be speaking to me with more respect." Soon after he declares his You Shall Not Pass! intent with one: "The First Sword of Braavos does not run."
- Greatjon Umber is made of these. His very first line is, "For thirty years I've been making corpses out of men, boy! I'm the man you want leading the vanguard," soon followed by, "The bloody Wall will melt before an Umber marches behind a Glover!"
- Even after discarding most of his armour, Barristan Selmy tells his fellow younger Kingsguard brothers that, "Even now I could cut through the five of you like carving a cake!", and everyone takes him seriously.
- When told the Crapsack World is due to men like him, Jaime declares to Lady Stark, "There are no men like me. Only me."
- Gendry puts a stop to Hot Pie's bullying by declaring, "You know, I've been hammering an anvil these past ten years. When I hit that steel it sings. You gonna sing when I hit you?"
- When urged to seek shelter south of the Wall because the cold winds are rising, Craster declares, "Let them come. My roots are sunk deep."
- When Littlefinger mocks Cersei's Twincest with the claim, "Knowledge is power," Cersei demonstrates how her guards would kill him without question and replies, "Power is power."
- Melisandre, unharmed after deliberately drinking poison, declares, "The night is dark and full of terrors, old man. But the fire burns them all away."
- In episode five of Season 2, Robb Stark absolutely crushes a Lannister host at Oxcross, and the viewers are shown the aftermath of the battle. Indeed, the victory is so decisive that Lord Bolton turns a statement of fact into a Badass Boast (which is also a testament to Michael McElhatton's skill):Roose Bolton: Five Lannisters dead for every one of ours.
- In response to being called a "boy" by Jaime, Robb declares, "You insult yourself, Kingslayer. You've been defeated by a boy, held captive by a boy, and maybe you'll be killed by a boy." Cue an intimidating snap from his enormous direwolf.
- On being told he will be thrown into the sea the next time he makes a threat, Varys replies, "You might be disappointed with the result. The storms come and go, the big fish eat the little fish, and I keep on paddling."
- "The Prince of Winterfell" features one from Tyrion to Cersei: "I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you're safe and happy, and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you will know the debt is paid." Unfortunately, this is subverted, because not only does he not carry through with it, it's the main reason for Cersei's hatred for him following Joffrey's death.
- When Catelyn tries to dissuade Rickard Karstark from demanding the head of a prisoner who killed his son with the advice that wise men do not make demands of kings, he declares that fathers who loved their sons do and in the morning, he will have the murderer's head.
- Robb: "If she accepts these terms I'll give her peace; if not, I will litter the south with Lannister dead."
- The Hound pairs this with Enemy Eats Your Lunch during his tense conversation with Polliver, who did the torturing for the Mountain:Hound: I understand that if any more words come pouring out of your cunt mouth, I'm going to have to eat every fucking chicken in this room.
Polliver: You lived your life for the king; you gonna die for some chickens?
The Hound: Someone is...
- Grand Maester Pycelle of all people gets one in the Histories and Lore for Season 4 when discussing the possibility of a second attempt to conquer Westeros with dragons.note "If [Daenerys] were so foolish as to march on Westeros, she would not find (as her ancestor Aegon did) seven disparate kingdoms frightened by her strange beasts. She would find a continent united by Lord Tywin Lannister, who extinguished her own father's flame. And we have known dragons now. We have seen them die."
- Black Lorren's declaration to Theon that, "I've been reaving and raping since before you left Balon's balls, Captain."
- Mance Rayder, when asked what he'll do to signal the Wildlings to attack the Wall, declares that "When it's time, I'm going to light the biggest fire the North has ever seen!"
- Beric Dondarrion's mission statement: "That's what we are: ghosts, waiting for you in the dark. You can't see us, but we see you. No matter whose cloak you wearLannister, Stark, Baratheonyou prey on the weak, the Brotherhood Without Banners will hunt you down."
- Oberyn Martell marks his arrival in the capital by declaring to Tyrion, "Tell your father I'm here and tell him the Lannisters aren't the only ones who pay their debts."
- Barristan is completely serious when he mentions he's "won more single-combats than any man alive."
- Ser Alliser Thorne gives on in "The Watchers on the Wall": "Tonight we fight! And when the sun rises, I promise you, Castle Black will stand! The Night's Watch will stand!"
- Sam Tarly produces a very casual one when Gilly asks why he's not training: "How many brothers can say that they've killed a White Walker and a Thenn? I might be the first in history." Later, in "The Gift", he gives a similar one: "I killed a White Walker. I killed a Thenn. I'll take my chances with you."
- In "High Sparrow", Littlefinger declares that the last time the Vale and the North fought together they brought down the greatest dynasty in the history of Westeros.note
- Cersei's declaration that, "House Lannister has no rival," definitely sounds badass, even if she is the only one who believes it.
- Jaime is quite good at these in the books, and that is carried over into the TV series:Jory Cassel: If you threaten my lord again...Ser Jaime Lannister: "Threaten?" As in: "I'm going to open your lord from balls to brain and see what Starks are made of?"
- Balon Greyjoy gets one in his introductionary episode:Balon: No man gives me a crown. I pay the iron price. I will take my crown. That is who I am.
- Let's not forget how Tyrion clinches his Rousing Speech to the defenders of King's Landing during the Battle of Blackwater Bay:Tyrion: Those are brave men knocking on our door. Let's go kill them!
- Olenna Tyrell gets a great one in Season 5, to Littlefinger:Olenna Tyrell: If anything should happen to me in this broken down little flesh market...they won't even find what's left of you.
- This composes of a greater part of Euron Greyjoy's dialogue. He gets two in his first appearance, within minutes of each other:
- Euron: I am the Drowned God. From Oldtown to Qarth, whenever men see my sails, they pray.Euron: I am the storm, brother. The first storm, and the last.
Euron Greyjoy: Build me a thousand ships, and I will give you this world.
- He even caps off his very first command as King with one:
- The High Sparrow, on the power of the Faith Militant:The High Sparrow: We have no names, no family. Every one of us is poor and powerless. And yet together, we can overthrow an empire.
- In "Battle of the Bastards", Sansa Stark gives a simple yet accurate one-liner, "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."
- Locke has a simple one:Ramsay: You ready for a hunt?Locke: Always.
- Locke also has a slightly stronger one:Grenn: Karl was a top paid cutthroat in Flea Bottom. I've seen what he can do with a knife.Locke: Have you seen what I can do with a knife?
- "The Rains of Castamere" is a famous song about a young lord who annihilated an entire family of vassals who crossed him, and its protagonist is still walking around and death-staring everyone in his presence.
- When Cersei dares him to rein Joffrey in, Tywin simply responds with "I will". Tywin once again walks the walk, and is able to control Joffrey with lines such as "I'll make sure you understand that when I've won your war for you."
- One courtesy of Arya when she wipes out practically the entire Frey family: "When people ask what happened here, tell them the North remembers. Tell them winter came for House Frey."
Walder-Arya: Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe.
- Before that, while still disguised as Walder and watching the Freys die from poisoning, she makes another:
- Gregor Clegane:Gregor: Who am I fighting?Cersei: Does it matter?Gregor: No.
- Sandor in "A Man Without Honor"Sandor: A dog doesn't need courage to chase off rats.
- Sandor from the Season 7 finale:Sandor: You know who's coming for you. You have always known.
- Subverted with Joffrey; he's fond of reminding everyone that he's the King in a fashion that suggests he expects them to so overcome by his otherworldly awesomeness that they start bowing and scraping to him instinctively, but in truth whenever he does so it only really seems to underscore how ultimately petty, inadequate and out of his depth he really is. After all, as his grandfather points out to him, a 'powerful' man who constantly feels the need to remind everyone how powerful he is in truth is not very powerful at all.Joffrey: You are talking to the King!Tyrion: [Gives him a smack] And now I've just struck a King! Did my hand fall from my wrist?
- Daenerys makes a few of these, even though she had the unfortunate tendency to make them when she is in absolutely no position to carry them out in Season 2, so they often ended up being disregarded or thrown in her face. Gradually, her bite levels up to her bark.
Daenerys: I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine...with fire and blood.
- She puts Viserys in his place by declaring, "I am a khaleesi of the Dothraki. I am the wife of the Great Khal and I carry his son inside me. The next time you raise a hand to me will be the last time you have hands!"
- She gets a couple in "Fire and Blood". When Mirri declares she will not hear her scream, Daenerys replies, "I will, but it's not your screams I want. Only your life." Later, during her Rousing Speech she declares "I am Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen of the blood of Old Valyria. I am the Dragon's daughter, and I swear to you that those who would harm you will die screaming."
- From the trailers for the second season. Subverted in that it has no effect on the boastee whatsoever, as he has just spent the entire scene crushing her beliefs about Westeros, and Dany sounds like she's going to burst into tears.
Jorah: No guards. The warlocks kill with sorcery, not steel.
- She gets another one in "Valar Morghulis" when she's approaching the House of the Undying to rescue her dragons.
Daenerys: Let them try.
The Queen of the Andals and the First Men: They will like it far less when I am done with them.The Protector of the Seven Kingdoms: What happens to things that don't bend...?The Unburnt: I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.The Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea: You are small men. None of you are fit to lead the Dothraki. But I am. So I will.The Breaker of Chains: They can live in my new world. Or they can die in their old one.The Mother of Dragons: And I promise this. If you ever betray me... I'll burn you alive.
- A few others:
- Daario gets asked if he wants to use a horse against Meereen's champion. He asks why on earth he would want or need one, and proves he can back his boast up.
- Stannis gives some very intimidating boasts, and more often than not he can back them up as shown in Blackwater where he leads by example.
Stannis: By right and birth and blood, I do this day lay claim to the Iron Throne of Westeros. Let all true men declare their loyalty. They shall bend a knee, or I will destroy them.
- His declaration, "I will not become a page in someone else's history book," qualifies even if he utters it in frustration at being unable to back it up.
- A gem from the trailers for the second season:
Stannis: Come with me and take this city!
- Stannis also gets a short sweet one during Blackwater, which becomes even more impressive when you remember he's not considered a charismatic commander:
Stannis: Joffrey, Renly, Robb Stark, they're all thieves. They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them.Stannis: My enemies have made my kingdom bleed. I will not forget that. I will not forgive that. I will punish them with any arms at my disposal.Stannis: The Baratheons say Ours is the Fury. I will show them; fury burns.
- A few others: