While the overall quality of the films is debated on, many people agree they sure didn't skimp on the soundtrack.
Fifty Shades of Grey
- "Earned It" by The Weeknd is an R&B/chamber pop track that just oozes seduction. It even got an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song at the 88th Academy Awards and won a Grammy for Best R&B Performance at the 58th Annual Grammy Awards. Although some people express dismay we now have to refer to Fifty Shades of Grey as an "Oscar nominee", the song itself is thought to have more than "earned it".
- "Love Me Like You Do" by Ellie Goulding. The song is universally acclaimed and agreed to be much sexier and more romantic than the actual movie thanks to the writing and Goulding's performance. It even got a reprise in Fifty Shades Freed.
- "Crazy in Love" by Beyoncé...the remix she recorded specifically for Fifty Shades of Grey, that is (although the original's great too). Featured in the trailer, this version of the song has a much darker, more dramatic sound and atmosphere, coming off as positively eerie at times. It helps establish the tone the film is going for very well. There are even some who opine that it surpasses the original.
- "I Know You" by Skylar Grey is a hauntingly vulnerable song detailing a person entreating their love interest to let them in and not let their past ruin their future, which fits perfectly with Ana's view of Christian and their relationship.
Fifty Shades Darker
- "Helium" by Sia is a very touching love song about how a person's significant other (or anyone they love depending on your interpretation of the lyrics) supports them when things get tough, with Sia's emotional performance and unusual voice making it stand out.
- "Bom Bidi Bom" by Nick Jonas and Nicki Minaj is an R&B infested track that sings about about wanting to give dirty love to a bad girl. It plays during Christian and Ana's sex scene taking place in his childhood bedroom.
Fifty Shades Freed
- For You by Liam Payne and Rita Ora is a sweet synth-pop duet.
- Capital Letters by Hailee Steinfeld is a raunchy club-ready anthem.