- Thanks to how the monster AI works in Doom and Doom II, a rare moment of awesome can emerge when you expertly dodge enemy fireballs and rockets and make the demons attack each other.
- Whenever you're mowing down hordes of demons. Especially with the chaingun, shotgun, and ESPECIALLY the the chainsaw!
- The corpses of other marines scattered throughout the maps are probably meant to be scary, up until you start seeing them in later areas as well where there's no reason for them to be there often enough. They may have died gruesomely, but odds are someone was badass enough to get as far as you have. You're just the one that outlives them to successfully fight off Hell.
- Awesome Boss: DOOM 1. E2M8. The Cyberdemon. Admit it, you wet 'em the first time you saw that giant sumbitch. And if you didn't wet 'em, then you're a badass yourself.
- The Guardian in Doom 3's Hell level, capping off the Best Level Ever.
- Maledict in ROE. A more adrenaline-pumping fight you have to look for.
- Crowning Level Of Awesome: Doom 3's rendition of Hell. Unlike the original Hell levels, which were pretty much like normal levels only with stone walls, a red sky and a lot of blood splashed around, the Doom 3 version is a warped Fire and Brimstone Hell floating in an endless dark void and filled with nightmare imagery. The art design is amazing. You're also robbed of all your equipment, including your damn flashlight, so there's no comfort from the darkness and the only light you will see is the red of infernal flames.
- By the end of Doom II, once the Big Bad Icon of Sin (John Romero) gets iced, the epilogue states how it trashed hell in its death throes. Say what you will, but the result of that is that the Marine himself (the player) has effectively and indirectly DESTROYED HELL.
- The Marine from Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil has one too. When Maledict/Dr Betruger, the commanding demon of the hellish forces, demands that the Marine should give him the Artifact, the Marine instead shoves the artifact into his throat, killing him. Whether the Marine dies as well is today unknown.
- The creation of ORIGWAD, the very first PWAD for the original DOOM. The creator of the WAD, Jeff Bird, had to build every piece of data for the rather simple two-room map by hand using a hexadecimal editor, because this was made before the advent of level editors. While it's not very good in terms of aesthetics or gameplay (its biggest flaw was that there wasn't enough ammo to take care of all of the monsters in the level), this wad laid the groundwork for many, many other wads to come.
- A meta-example would be beating any of the Nintendo Hard megawads at all, especially Deus Vult.
- It may be funny to accidentally telefrag an enemy, but it's both funny and completely awesome to telefrag a Cyberdemon or a Spider Mastermind.
- Brutal DOOM introduces "Rip and Tear!" on the berserk back, allowing you to perform Mortal Kombat-esque executions on enemies from ripping off a sergeant's head to tearing out a Baron of hell's spinal column with the head attached.
- QuakeCon 2013 Doom 2 (multi-player) Tournament is a nice call back in itself. But one of the real moments of awesome came during first round of the finale between Devastation and Jkist3_ as they go at it for $1,000, trading buckshots and BFG kills on an almost one-for-one basis. Then Jkist3_ pulls out a draw when Devastation unfortunately spawns right in front of him and ate a faceful of pellets WITH LESS THAN A SECOND LEFT ON THE CLOCK!!
- Say what you will about the Doom movie, but the first-person action sequence near the end of the film was made of all sorts of win.
"I was not supposed to die!" *gets dragged away*
- That scene was one of the two things that paid for the ticket, the other being The Rock's line:
- The Rock bursting through the glass panel and shouting "SEMPER FI, MOTHERFUCKER!"
- Sarge on Dr. Carmack's "condition" as an extremely decayed zombie:Sam: It may even be reversible.Sarge: It's irreversible.Sam: Not necessarily...Sarge: Dr. Carmack's condition (long beat) is irreversible.Sarge calmly walks over to Carmack, inserts the barrel of his gun into Carmack's mouth and pulls the trigger.Sarge: Because Carmack's condition is that... he's dead.