Batman: Breakdown is an audio drama created by and staring Alex Shaw, originally released on the Digital Gonzo (now Digital Drift) podcast in June of 2012 and can be download from iTunes.
Taking place after the events of the Under the Red Hood storyline, the story is about Batman coming to terms with his crumbling emotional state and the possibility of retiring from crime fighting.
Batman: Breakdown contains examples of:
- Driven to Suicide: The Joker shoots himself after realizing Bruce is not going to kill him as Batman, something his psyche won't allow
- FaceHeel Turn: Even though he was already a violent Anti-Hero by the start of the story, Jason becomes a true villain when he murders Bruce and takes on the mantel of the Joker.
- Legacy Character:
- It's mentioned in story that there have been multiple Robins.
- Tim is picked by Bruce to take over after he retires and is seen in the role after Bruce's murder.
- Jason, coming full circle from assuming the Red Hood identity, becomes the new Joker after going insane following the first's suicide.
- Meaningful Echo: As he's dying in Jennifer's arms, Bruce tells her not to be afraid, just as his father had when he was gunned down.
- Mythology Gag:
- The description of the Waynes' murder matches the one shown in Batman Begins
- The Joker's voice and mannerisms are clearly based off of Mark Hamill's performance of the character from Batman: The Animated Series. When Jason takes over as the Joker, his mannerisms are, in turn, based on Heath Ledger's performance from The Dark Knight and inflicts a Glasgow Grin on himself.
- After Tim takes over as Batman his costume is redesigned, making it resemble the one from Batman Beyond
- There Are No Therapists: Averted as Bruce attending therapy sessions is the main drive of the story.
- Villainous Breakdown: Joker goes through one when he not only finds out Batman is Bruce Wayne, but that he's going to retire.
- Warrior Therapist: Dr. Jennifer Whitman is a literal one, having served in Afghanistan before the events of the story.