009 Re:Cyborg is a CGI film based on the Cyborg 009 manga, directed by Kenji Kamiyama of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Eden of the East fame and its music composed by Kenji Kawai. It was originally released in Japan on October 27, 2012. A manga adaptation of this film also came about, and was published in Monthly Big Gangan magazine.
The film features the 00 Cyborgs being called back into action to investigate a series of bombings carried out by people claiming to follow the direction of a mysterious force named "His Voice". Over the course of the film, the Cyborgs discovered that the bombings may have been divinely instigated and then things really hit the fan.
- Adaptational Personality Change: Compared to the 2001 anime. 006 and 007 are rather less comedic here, with GB being more Bond-like. 003 is more of an Action Girl.
- Arc Symbol: Angel Skeletons appear throughout the movie.
- Big Bad: His Voice, the mysterious force compelling the bombings. or maybe not...
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Samuel Klein, head of Samuel Capital and is a follower of His Voice.
- Demoted to Extra: 004 and 006 barely appear in this film, and 007 and 008 get written out early on only reappearing in the ending.
- Expy: Samuel Capital fill a similar role to Black Ghost in the manga, being a weapons manufacturer looking start World War III for fun and profit.
- Fanservice: We get to see Francoise walking around in lingerie in one scene.
- Gainax Ending: The ending is likely to come off as this, unless you're really paying attention and are already familiar with the series... and even then you'll probably need a second viewing. After the nuclear bomb he was trying to redirect gets detonated in space with him on it, Joe wakes up in an apartment in what appears to Venice and then encounters the rest of the 00 Cyborgs and Dr. Gilmore, who explains that the world was created by "His Voice". The final shot is of the camera panning out to reveal an angel skeleton as a wall decoration in Joe and Francoise's living room. Another skeleton appears on the far side of the Moon during the ending credits.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Dr. Gilmore wipes 009's memory every three years to give him the stability he needs to act as leader of the 00 Cyborgs.
- The Man Behind the Man: Ivan and Dr. Gilmore speculate early on that Samuel Capital are the ones behind "His Voice". In fact it's the other way around, with the heads of Samuel Capital all being followers of "His Voice".
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: The Lazarus Cyborgs are essentially cyborg zombies. They were created by Samuel Capital from the bodies of soldiers who died in Iraq.
- Not Growing Up Sucks: Dr. Gilmore decided to wipe 009's memory every three years because he's stuck as a teenager, and it's supposedly the only way for Joe to live a normal life until he's needed again.
- Official Couple: What was only Ship Tease in the main series is canonical here, with Joe and Françoise engaging in a makeout session in the back of an aircraft.
- Outrun the Fireball: 009's Super-Speed is put to the test when he has to outrun the shockwave and thermal pulse of the atomic bomb dropped on Dubai by a thrall of "His Voice". He survives, but unfortunately, Dubai doesn't.
- Our Gods Are Different: The Cyborg team eventually concludes that "His Voice" is somehow a personification of the collective unconsciousness of humanity, that is able to communicate to certain humans. After Dubai, Joe realizes that "His Voice" isn't unified, and at least some of the visions of Tomoe (the imaginary girlfriend persona Francoise projected into 009's perceptions while he was amnesiac) were from a more benevolently humanistic aspect.)
- Sudden Sequel Heel Syndrome: One of the first plot points is that the amnesiac 009 had been enthralled by "His Voice" during the prologue, and was about to bomb the skyscraper before his memories were returned. Even afterwards, he's still reluctant to turn against "His Voice" until he witnesses the destruction another thrall caused in Dubai.
- War for Fun and Profit: Samuel Capital wants to profit from the Military-Industrial Complex by undermining world peace and stability. Subverted, they're actually followers of "His Voice" and are looking to assist the force in cleansing the world.