Yo-kai Watch: The Movie (Yo-kai Watch: Tanjō no Himitsu da Nyan! in Japan) is the first movie of the Yo-Kai Watch anime series.
The movie adapts the plot of the second game, with Nate going back in time to meet his grandfather Nathaniel as a kid and discover the origins of the yo-kai watch.
It was first released on December 20, 2014 in Japan, and for America on October 15, 2016.
This movie provides examples of:
- Adapted Out: Katie's grandparents aren't her grandparents, Kenny and Kelly, from the game.
- Big Badass Battle Sequence: Nate and Nathaniel summon their own army of Yo-kai to fend off against Dame Dedtime's forces.
- Disney Villain Death: Somewhat subverted for Dame Dedtime and her henchmen, as they just disappear. As Whisper mentioned in the anime, Yo-kais can't die.
- Eternal Engine: The climax takes place in a abandon factory.
- Identical Grandson:
- Nathan's grandfather Nathaniel resemble him, only with darker skin.
- Nate later sees the grandparents of his friends when they visited Old Spirngdale.
- My Greatest Failure: Nathaniel's backstory as why he wanted to become a superhero.
- Ripple Effect-Proof Memory: Averted at first with Nate when the timeline changed, but quickly got it back thanks to Meganyan.
- Timey-Wimey Ball: Oh boy, where do we begin?:
- In the original timeline, Nathaniel created the prototype Watch, but was changed thanks to Kin and Gin who inspirited some bullies to pick on his friend. So this means that Nathaniel started becoming Moximous Mask and ditches the invention of the Watch in the changed path.
- Then Hovernyan enters the scene and tells Nate about what happened. Nate then encourages his grandfather about making the watch.