Yo-kai Watch: Shadowside is the sequel to the original Yo-kai Watch anime series. It takes place directly after Yo-kai Watch: Shadowside - The Return of the Oni King. It premiered on April 13, 2018.
Taking place thirty years after the original anime, Shadowside this time around centers around Natsume Amano, the daughter of Nate and Katie (and the older sister of Keisuke Amano) from Yo-kai Watch: Shadowside - The Return of the Oni King. Natsume and her two friends, Touma Tsukinami and Akinori Arihoshi, are the owners of the new yo-kai watches. Along with Whisper and Jibanyan, the trio go on adventures similar to how Natsume's father used to, but with a catch— these Yo-kai aren't the silly and fun types you're familiar with. They have a "shadow side", which is scary and dangerous, and a "light side", which looks comparatively friendlier.
Shadowside features a less cartoony art-style than the original and is slightly more mature, but it's still as zany as ever. The series is more serious and plot-driven than its predecessor. Instead of three segments, the series will only have one segment per episode.
Yo-kai Watch: Shadowside provides examples of:
- Art Evolution: The art-style is less cartoony than previous installments. Yo-kai are no longer nearly as stylized.
- Ascended Extra: Natsume's brother Keisuke was a bit character in the film. In the series he is a major character.
- Darker and Edgier: Though Lighter and Softer than the prequel film, the anime is this to the original anime. It has an older cast, scarier characters, and a more serious plot.
- Kid Hero: The leads are in junior high school and are thirteen to fourteen years old.
- Spin-Offspring: The anime stars Nate and Katie's son and daughter.
- 20 Minutes into the Future: The show presumably takes place in the 2040s.
- Two Guys and a Girl: Akinori, Touma, and Natsume.
- You Don't Look Like You: Due to the Art Shift to a somewhat more realistic takes on Yokai, almost all of the returning Yokai don't resemble their previous designs. Whisper and Komasan are the biggest offenders.