Yo-kai Watch: Shadowside is the sequel to the original Yo-Kai Watch anime series. It takes place directly after Yo-kai Watch: Shadowside - The Return of the Oni King. It premiered on April 13, 2018.
Taking place thirty years after the original anime, Shadowside this time around centers around Natsume Amano, the daughter of Nate and Katie (and the older sister of Keisuke Amano) from Yo-kai Watch: Shadowside - The Return of the Oni King. Natsume and her two friends, Touma Tsukinami and Akinori Arihoshi, are the owners of the new yo-kai watches. Along with Whisper and Jibanyan, the trio go on adventures similar to how Natsume's father used to, but with a catch— these Yo-kai aren't the silly and fun types you're familiar with. They have a "shadow side", which is scary and dangerous, and a "light side", which looks comparatively friendlier.
Shadowside features a less cartoony art-style than the original and is slightly more mature, but it's still as zany as ever. The series is more serious and plot-driven than its predecessor. Instead of three segments, the series will only have one segment per episode.
Yo-kai Watch: Shadowside provides examples of:
- Ambiguously Brown: There are a lot more dark-skinned characters in Shadowside than in the original anime. There are also a lot of characters with (presumably natural) colours such as blond and red. Considering this takes place in the future, it's possible Japan's population is more diverse in the 2040s.
- Art Evolution: The art-style is less cartoony than previous installments. Yo-kai are no longer nearly as stylized.
- Ascended Extra: Natsume's brother Keisuke was a bit character in the film. In the series he is a major character.
- Badass Biker: Venoct is this
- Blush Stickers: Keita had them as a baby.
- Cast of Snowflakes: The background characters all have varied and diverse designs.
- Darker and Edgier: Though Lighter and Softer than the prequel film, the anime is this to the original anime. It has an older cast, scarier characters, and a more serious plot.
- Kid Hero: The leads are in junior high school and are thirteen to fourteen years old.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: Once again Venoct. Almost to Knight Templar levels
- Knight of Cerebus; Almost every time Haruya shows up the plot gets noticeably darker. This comes to a head in episode 23 when he kills the Monster of the Week
- Shout-Out: When Whisper uses a face changing app on a smartphone, the resulting prettyboy face looks suspiciously like a Palette Swapped Gilgamesh.
- Spin-Offspring: The anime stars Nate and Katie's son and daughter.
- 20 Minutes into the Future: The show takes place in the 2040s.
- Two Guys and a Girl: Akinori, Touma, and Natsume.
- You Don't Look Like You: Due to the Art Shift to a somewhat more realistic takes on Yokai, almost all of the returning Yokai don't resemble their previous designs. Whisper, Komasan and Komajiro are the biggest offenders.