Tokyo Pig, probably better known in Japan as Hare Tokidoki Buta (はれときどきぶた or "Cloudy with a Chance of Pigs") than in the rest of the world, is a comedy anime directed by Shinichi Watanabe. The show revolves around the main character, a young boy by the name of Noriyasu (or Spencer in the English translation), and his pet pig, which he created by drawing him in a magic diary. Other cast members include "mama" and "papa", his sister Tama-chan (Dizzy Lizzy in the English translation), and a weather lady called Yamada-ana.
The show thrives on lightning-fast delivery and a somewhat unorthodox over the top style of humor, which of course Nabeshin had something to do with. Additionally, the show has No Fourth Wall and a lot of the jokes are from characters addressing the audience and humorous asides. The artstyle of the show is very simplistic, but effective and a bit different than most other shows. It includes almost every anime comedy trope known to man.
A poor dub was made by a company called "Studio E", and distributed by Miramax Television, airing on what is now ABC Family. Additionally, only eight episodes were released on DVD. It's woefully ignored by fansubbers, so the only way to view it is by scouring Nico Nico Video. This is why the show isn't well known outside of Japan (the only other place where it's famous is Philippines where it's known as 'Sunny Pig'). It's very much worth the effort though, and the jokes are generally quite easy to follow even without knowing Japanese, and if you're familiar with Nabeshin's other works, you'll know more or less what to expect. Thankfully, someone had uploaded all 61 episodes, with subs, on Youtube.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents:
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Dizzy Lizzy to Spencer.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: The weather lady and her "dark" friend do this routine to some extent.
- Disproportionate Retribution:
- Embarrassing Old Photo: In the episode, "Tickled Pigs Feet".
- Gag Series
- Hot Teacher: Ms. Spelt.
- Lemony Narrator: The Weather Lady
- Lethal Chef: Mr. Weinberg-Takahama
- Lost in Translation: Pretty much the entire show is.
- No Export for You: The original manga, including a number of episodes, especially the final three.
- No Fourth Wall: Especially by the weather lady. She comes out of the television in the show.. and gives commentary to the actual show while it's going on.
- Over-Enthusiastic Parents: Spencer's Dad and Mom
- Reality Warper: Sunny Pig
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: A literal example in "Trouble in Lightning Land".
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!:
- Team Pet: Though perhaps that would be unfair to Buta since he's the titular character.
- Tsundere: Dizzy Lizzy is this towards her brother Spencer in a familial way. Despite often giving him a hard time, she cares for him deep down and is clearly distraught over his disappearance in the Final Episode and how her parents forgot about him.
- Unnamed Parent
- Widget Series