Tokyo Pig, probably better known in Japan as Hare Tokidoki Buta (はれときどきぶた or "Cloudy with a Chance of Pigs") than in the rest of the world, is a comedy anime directed by Shinichi Watanabenote based on a series of picture books. The show revolves around the main character, a young boy by the name of Noriyasu (or Spencer in the English translation), and his pet pig, Harebuta ("Sunny Pig) which he created by drawing him in a magic diary. Other cast members include "mama" and "papa", his sister Tama-chan (Dizzy Lizzy in the English translation), and a weather lady called Yamada-ana (literally, "Announcer Yamada").
The show thrives on lightning-fast delivery and a somewhat unorthodox over the top style of humor, which of course Nabeshin had something to do with. Additionally, the show has No Fourth Wall and a lot of the jokes are from characters addressing the audience and humorous asides. The artstyle of the show is very simplistic, but effective and a bit different than most other shows. It includes almost every anime comedy trope known to man.
A poor dub was made by a company called "Studio E", and distributed by Miramax Television, airing on what is now Freeform, with only 28 episodes (out of 61) adaptednote Additionally, only eight episodes were released on DVD. It's woefully ignored by fansubbers, so the only way to view it is by scouring Nico Nico Video. This is why the show isn't well known outside of Japan (the only other place where it's famous is Philippines where it's known as 'Sunny Pig'). It's very much worth the effort though, and the jokes are generally quite easy to follow even without knowing Japanese, and if you're familiar with Nabeshin's other works, you'll know more or less what to expect. Thankfully, someone had uploaded all 61 episodes, with subs, on Youtube.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents:
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Dizzy Lizzy to Spencer.
- Author Avatar: Nabeshin in the anime.note
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: The weather lady and her "dark" friend do this routine to some extent.
- Disproportionate Retribution:
- Dub Name Change: This includes the family's last name, despite the dub openly admitting to taking place in Japan (The dub is called "Tokyo" Pig, after all…).
- Embarrassing Old Photo: In the episode, "Tickled Pigs Feet".
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Or in this case, "everyone calls her the weather lady". Doesn't apply to the Japanese version, where she's called "Announcer Yamada"
- Gag Dub: Despite the show already being a comedy, and even having No Fourth Wall.
- Gag Series
- Hot Teacher: Miss Kazuko / Ms. Spelt.
- Lemony Narrator: Announcer Yamada / The Weather Lady
- Lethal Chef: Mr. Weinberg-Takahama
- Lost in Translation: Pretty much the entire show is.
- No Fourth Wall: Even in the Japanese version, and especially by Announcer Yamada / "the weather lady". She comes out of the television in the show… and gives commentary to the actual show while it's going on.
- No Name Given: Other than Noriyasu / Spencer's parents (in both versions), "Announcer Yamada" is only this in the dub, where she's just called "the weather lady".
- The Nudifier: The episode "Summer! Pool! Principal!/Pigtoven vs. Principal" has a scene where Pigtoven uses his conductor's baton to turn the swimming trunks of two boys and the swimsuits of two women into pigs, leaving them in the nude. The scene was cut in the English dub.
- Over-Enthusiastic Parents: Spencer's Dad and Mom
- Pokémon Speak: In both versions, Hare-Buta / Sunny Pig usually just says "Bu-bu" (as in "buta"), or variations on it when he speaks.note
- Pop-Star Composer: Sort of. The opening and ending theme songs in the Japanese version are performed solo by Yumi Yoshimura (AKA: "Yumi" of Puffy AmiYumi).
- Reality Warper: Hare-Buta / Sunny Pig, even though Noriyasu / Spencer was one himself already thanks to his diarynote .
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: A literal example in "Trouble in Lightning Land".
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!
- Shout-Out: The first episode features "Pig-Zilla", known as simply "Buta Gojira" or "Pig Godzilla" in Japan. Another episode features Hare-Buta / Sunny Pig as the "Bu-Bu Rider", known in the English version as the "Oink-Oink Rider".
- Team Pet: Though perhaps that would be unfair to Hare-Buta since he's the titular character.
- Tsundere: Tama-chan / Dizzy Lizzy is this towards her brother Noriyasu / Spencer in a familial way. Despite often giving him a hard time, she cares for him deep down and is clearly distraught over his disappearance in the Final Episode and how her parents forgot about him.
- Unnamed Parent: In both versions, they're just "Mama / Mom", and "Papa / Dad".
- Widget Series