Tokyo Marble Chocolate is an Romantic Comedy anime that deals with two young adults, Yuudai and Chizuru. Previously both of them have been unlucky in love, now they have been dating each other for some time, but because of their previous bad experiences in relationships and their own issues and insecurities they are being driven them apart: Yuudai is jittery, cowardly and can't bring himself to tell Chizuru that he loves her, while Chizuru becomes quite clumsy whenever she falls in love and she's afraid this will scare her boyfriend away. Luckily, with the intervention of a pet Mini-Donkey they might find a way to sort their issues.
The story consists of 2 OVAs, each tells the story from the perspective of one of the protagonists.
This Anime provides examples of:
- All Animals Are Dogs: The Mini-Donkey behaves pretty much like a hyperactive puppy.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: In one flashback Chizuru, while on a date in a fancy restaurant, she gets drunk after just one glass of wine and starts playfully beating her then-boyfriend.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Chizuru, besides the Can't Hold Her Liquor instance, once she accidentally knocked out cold an ex-boyfriend's mother, she is aware of her clumsiness and blames it for driving guys away from her.
- Dramatic Irony: After watching one episode and experiencing the story from one side, several moments in the other become this. For example, at the beginning Chizuru was actually planning to break up with Yuudai during their date, while he wanted to give her a present that would prove to Chizuru his feelings.
- Dream Sequence: Two:
- When Yuudai after hearing from the pet store how dangerous the Mini-Donkey is, he has a nightmare in which he imagines Chizuru being attacked by it.
- The Freefall Romance mentioned below, in which apparently Yuudai slipped and hit his head when trying to retrieve Chizuru's gift for him from the top of the Tokyo Tower.
- For Want of a Nail: A positive example: Chizuru would have broken up with Yuudai on that day, if not for the pet store mistakenly delivering the Mini-Donkey to Yuudai instead of the bunny he intended to give to Chizuru.
- Freefall Romance: From the Tokyo Tower no less!
- Heroic BSoD: We don't see it from Yuudai's perspective, but Chizuru actually goes through one after encountering the girl in Yuudai's apartment, made even worse when Yuudai mistakenly calls her out for being with a guy in her home the previous night.
- How We Got Here: Each OVA starts just before the end focusing on one character: Yuudai is seeing running after Chizuru, while Chizuru stands alone on a park and starts to break down in tears.
- Insecure Love Interest: Both Yuudai and Chizuru are this towards each other: They both are in love with each other but they are not sure the other feels the same, Yuudai thinks he's a coward and lazy person, while Chizuru blames herself for her past failed relationships.
- Killer Rabbit: The Mini-Donkey is described like this by the pet store, despite its size it is shown having torn its metal cage to shreds. We also see a glimpse of his "killer" side when he scares a Jerk Ass guy from forcing his way into Chizuru's home.
- Lovable Coward: Yuudai. In one flashback he ran away from a date after he was scared by his girlfriend's little dog barking at him.
- Mindlink Mates: Hinted with the Freefall Romance sequence, since both Yuudai and Chizuru experience the same dream.
- Not What It Looks Like: When Yuudai arrives home he finds an ex-girlfriend waiting for him outside who begs him to let him spend the night in his apartment since she got into a fight with her boyfriend and has nowhere to go, Yuudai being a Nice Guy lets her spend the night there, the next morning Chizuru makes a surprise visit to Yuudai, and encounters the girl in his apartment so she assumes that Yuudai got together with her.
- One Side of the Story: A two sided version of it with the Out Of Context Eaves Dropping and the Not What It Looks Like.
- Out-of-Context Eavesdropping: When after their disastrous date Yuudai goes to Chizuru's home and arrives to the door, he overhears her talking about him to someone inside her house, Chizuru says how Yuudai is unreliable but luckily she knows she can now count with whoever she is talking. Yuudai leaves heartbroken believing that Chizuru has a new boyfriend, however she was actually talking with the Mini-Donkey.
- Perspective Flip: The first OVA tells the story from the point of view of of Yuudai and all the trouble he has to go through trying to tell Chizuru his feelings, the second focuses on Chizuru and how she interprets Yuudai's actions as him being driven away from her because of her clumsiness.
- Shipper on Deck: The Mini-Donkey actively and constantly tries to get Yuudai and Chizuru together.
- Snow Means Love: Twice, justified because the story is set during Christmas Eve.
- The first when Yuudai receives a text message from Chizuru apologizing to him for leaving so suddenly during their date, Chizuru mentions also that it's snowing right now outside.
- The second one in the ending: After Yuudai realizes Chizuru's feelings for him he runs after her and after catching up to her they both embrace.
- Waif-Fu: In one flashback, Yuudai and his then-girlfriend get mugged during a date, Yuudai becomes paralized with fear, but then his girlfriend single-handedly beats the crap out of the muggers.
- Word Salad Title: At first it looks like this, but in reality: "Tokyo" refers to the backdrop setting and the Tokyo Tower, "Marble Chocolate" is the name of the cafe Chizuru works on but it can also be a reference to a white chocolate, which is a traditional romantic gift from a girl to a guy.