Myūtanto Tātoruzu: Chōjin Densetsu-hen is an OVA produced by TV Tokyo as a tie-in for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toyline produced Takara. It was made in 1996, and based mostly on the 1987 cartoon. As such, most of the voice work was done by the Japanese Dub for the cartoon. though it was never officially translated for the US, a fan-made subbed version exists on the internet.
There are two episodes;
- The Great Crisis of the Super Turtles! The Saint Appears!: The Turtles discover the Muta Stone and free the fairy Crys-Mu who gives them the power Super Mutation which turns them into Super Turtles for three minutes. However, Shredder and Krang have the Dark Meta Stone, and try to awaken the evil fairy Dark Mu to destroy the world.
- The Coming of the Guardian Beasts - The Metal Turtles Appear!: The Turtles, along with April and Master Splinter, go to Japan to help a ninja clan headed by Kinzo Hattori, who are being haunted by an evil ghost. At the same time, Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady have arrived hoping to steal the Tablet of the Seven Elements to gain the power of the Guardian Beasts.
These animated films provide examples of the following tropes:
- And Then What?: Of their plan to destroy the Earth, Shredder asks Krang where they're supposed to live afterwards. Krang figures they can stay in Dimension X, much to Shredder's displeasure.
- Henshin Hero: Our Heroes In a Halfshell are made into these.
- Merchandise-Driven: The various transformations are basically commercials for the Japanese toyline.
- Secondary Adaptation: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise, which had begun as a comicbook series, had a successful western cartoon, so were getting toys made by Takara. Two Original Video Animation movies were made by TV Tokyo; The Great Crisis of the Super Turtles! The Saint Appears! and The Coming of the Guardian Beasts - The Metal Turtles Appear!.
- You Don't Look Like You: Shredder has an entirely differently appearance here than he does in the regular 'toon.