Tamagotchi: The Movie is a 2007 Japanese animated film, and the first OLM Incorporated-animated movie to be based on the Tamagotchi series of virtual pet toys (though by no means the first Tamagotchi film in general; that honor goes to the Short Film Tamagotchi Honto no Hanashi, which was released in the 90's). In Japan, this film was released theatrically; outside of Japan, a Madman Entertainment English dub was released as a Direct to Video feature bundled with the Tamagotchi Music Star (though it was aired by Cartoon Network in the Philippines).
Mametchi invents a machine that can transport objects, but the machine accidentally transports a human girl named Tanpopo to Tamagotchi Planet; Mametchi and his friends must figure out a way to get her back to planet Earth. Meanwhile, Mametchi also invents a portable sun, causing Sunnytchi, Tamagotchi Planet's sun, to go away, which in turn causes Tamagotchi Planet to catch a cold.
It got a sequel in 2008 titled Tamagotchi: Happiest Story in the Universe!.
Tamagotchi: The Movie contains the following tropes:
- Adult Fear: Everywhere for Mametchi's parents, ranging from Chamametchi's egg rolling away to Mametchi getting sucked inside a black hole.
- Alternative Foreign Theme Song: The English dub averts this for the intro song "Tamagotchi", which has all its lyrics dubbed from Japanese. The Japanese ending theme "Chiisana Hoshi no You ni", on the other hand, is replaced in the English version by a reprise of "Tamagotchi".
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: Tanpopo has no problems breathing in Tamagotchi Planet's atmosphere.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Mametchi, a normally friendly Tamagotchi, gets fed up with Chamametchi and gives her a "The Reason You Suck" Speech because he thinks she's the one who got the gang into the mess they're in.
- Covers Always Lie: The English version's DVD cover depicts the characters Kikitchi and Hapihapitchi, who don't actually appear in the film and only debut in the sequel.
- Dance Party Ending: Subverted. It's actually a parade scene to commemerate the Gotchi King's birthday, but many characters are seen dancing.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Blackholetchi, the black hole Mametchi and Tanpopo are almost sucked into, is a legitimately nice guy who didn't mean to do any harm to the two.
- Disney Death: Twice. First, Mametchi and Tanpopo getting sucked into Blackholetchi. When he wakes up, he's able to pull them out just fine. Later, it seems as though a giant fireball has destroyed the ship, but it turns out to be Sunnytchi bringing it home.
- Everybody Cries: Literally everyone on Tamagotchi Planet (as well as the planet itself) cries when a giant fireball has seemingly engulfed the rocket Mametchi's gang was in.
- Face Your Fears: Mametchi has to face his fear of the dark to save himself and his friends.
- Group Hug: Near the end of the film, as Tanpopo is about to leave Tamagotchi Planet, she gets a group hug from Mametchi and his gang and they all cry since she and the Tamagotchis are going to miss each other.
- In Space, Everyone Can See Your Face: Mametchi and Tanpopo's faces are clearly visible in their spacesuits.
- It's All My Fault: Mametchi when Sunnytchi leaves Tamagotchi Planet. He even says the name of this trope as well!
- Loud of War: Literally everybody on the planet yelling in order to wake up Blackholetchi. The fact that Ms. Perfect says "Wake up right now or you'll be in very big trouble!" helps a lot.
- The Movie: Of course.
- Never My Fault: After her brother calls her out for getting them lost in space, it is shown clearly that Chamametchi (being too young) completely ignored everything he said.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Mametchi develops his own portable sun. Cue Sunnytchi leaving the Planet the following day though subverted since Sunnytchi was just taking a a little vacation.
- Officially Shortened Title: Tamagotchi: The Movie is a bit shorter than Appearing on Film! Tamagotchi: Heart-Throbbing! Lost Child In Space!?
- One-Word Vocabulary:
- The only thing Mamesunnytchi is heard saying is "twinkle".
- Mimifuwatchi is also only able to say "tchi".
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Mametchi is typically a calm, gentle Tamagotchi, but this happens when he gets bothered one too many times by Chamametchi:Chamametchi: Big brother, I want to talk to Mamametchi and Papamametchi!(Beat)Mametchi: (sternly) You can't talk to them now.Chamametchi: Why? I wanna talk to them!Mametchi: Look, you can't, okay?!Chamametchi: Why not? I wanna talk to them!Mametchi: QUIT BEING SO SELFISH! (beat) WHY DO YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW ME AROUND AND GET IN MY WAY, CHAMAMETCHI? DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND IF YOU HADN'T INTERFERED, WE WOULDN'T BE HERE RIGHT NOW? MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST GO AWAY AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE! JUST LEAVE ME ALONE, OKAY?!(beat)Chamametchi: (Inelegant Blubbering)
- Rubber Man: At one point, Kuchipatchi gets stretched out in order to use him as a trampoline.
- Rube Goldberg Device: The film shows that Mametchi has one in his bedroom. It activates a platform next to the house, acting as an elevator to his bedroom from the outside.
- She's a Man in Japan: The Italian dub changes Ms. Perfect and Ringotchi into males.
- Sick Episode: For Tamagotchi Planet itself, which gets sick after being deprived of sunlight.
- Space Friction: Subverted. The rocket Mametchi and his friends steal has to be adjusted to a certain position to shoot the Planet's medicine, but it does so using smaller rockets on the ship's arms (to rotate) and four smaller jets (to reverse and slow down) instead of just stopping.
- Space Is Noisy: The Tamagotchi Planet and Blackholetchi are able to talk freely in space.
- The Stinger: There is a scene after the end credits where Tanpopo finds her Tamagotchi toy in a box in her room, which surprises her since she had left it on Tamagotchi Planet. She finds Mametchi and Chamametchi communicating with her through it, with Mametchi explaining he was the one who sent the toy back. Tanpopo responds to them, mentioning she'd love for them to see her little brother some day.
- They Call Me MISTER Tibbs!: Inverted. Throughout most of the movie, Mametchi and co. call Tanpopo by the name "Miss Tanpopo". After Mametchi and Chamametchi make up over the former's "The Reason You Suck" Speech to the latter, Tanpopo tells them they can just call her "Tanpopo" without the "Miss" since they're all friends now.
- Theme Tune Cameo: Tanpopo's ringtone is the film's ending theme.
- Title: The Adaptation: Tamagotchi: The Movie.
- Token Human: Tanpopo is the only human character in this film. Justified since she's not supposed to be on Tamagotchi Planet in the first place and got teleported there by accident.
- Unrealistic Black Hole: Mametchi and Tanpopo encounter a vacuum-cleaner-type one in outer space. Justified as it's not a real black hole, but rather a living black hole named Blackholetchi.
- What Song Was This Again?: The English version contains a translation of Kigurumi's "Tamagotchi" whose lyrics are very different from the original song. While the original song was about how all humans are the same regardless of where they came from, the English one has an underlying theme of "Let's have an exciting time together!"