Tamagotchi: The Movie is a 2007 Japanese animated film, and the first movie to be based on the Tamagotchi series of virtual pet toys. In Japan, this film was released theatrically; outside of Japan, a Madman Entertainment English dub was released as a Direct-to-Video feature bundled with the Tamagotchi Music Star (though it was aired by Cartoon Network in the Philippines).
Mametchi invents a machine that can transport objects, but the machine accidentally transports a human girl named Tanpopo to Tamagotchi Planet; Mametchi and his friends must figure out a way to get her back to planet Earth. Meanwhile, Mametchi also invents a portable sun, causing Sunnytchi, Tamagotchi Planet's sun, to go away, which in turn causes Tamagotchi Planet to catch a cold.
It got a sequel in 2008 titled Tamagotchi: Happiest Story in the Universe!.
Tamagotchi: The Movie contains the following tropes:
- Adult Fear: Everywhere for Mametchi's parents, ranging from Chamametchi's egg rolling away to Mametchi getting sucked inside a black hole.
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: Tanpopo has no problems breathing in Tamagotchi Planet's atmosphere.
- Conspicuous CG: Has several scenes where certain parts are animated in CGI. It's less noticeable in the night and outer space shots though.
- Dance Party Ending: Subverted. It's actually a parade scene to commemerate the Gotchi King's birthday, but many characters are seen dancing.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Blackholetchi, the black hole Mametchi and Tanpopo are almost sucked into, is a legitimately nice guy who didn't mean to do any harm to the two.
- Disney Death: Twice. First, Mametchi and Tanpopo getting sucked into Blackholetchi. When he wakes up, he's able to pull them out just fine. Later, it seems as though a giant fireball has destroyed the ship, but it turns out to be Sunnytchi bringing it home.
- Face Your Fears: Mametchi has to face his fear of the dark to save himself and his friends.
- In Space, Everyone Can See Your Face: Mametchi and Tanpopo's faces are clearly visible in their spacesuits.
- Loud of War: Literally everybody on the planet yelling in order to wake up Blackholetchi. The fact that Ms. Perfect says "Wake up right now or you'll be in very big trouble!" helps a lot.
- The Movie: Of course.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Mametchi develops his own portable sun. Cue Sunnytchi leaving the Planet the following day.
- Officially Shortened Title: Tamagotchi: The Movie is a bit shorter than Appearing on Film! Tamagotchi: Heart-Throbbing! Lost Child In Space!?
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Mametchi is typically a calm, gentle Tamagotchi, but this happens when he gets bothered one too many times by Chamametchi:Chamametchi: Big brother, I want to talk to Mamametchi and Papamametchi!(Beat)Mametchi: (sternly) You can't talk to them now.Chamametchi: Why? I wanna talk to them!Mametchi: Look, you can't, okay?!Chamametchi: Why not? I wanna talk to them!Mametchi: QUIT BEING SO SELFISH! (beat) WHY DO YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW ME AROUND AND GET MY WAY, CHAMAMETCHI? DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND IF YOU HADN'T INTERFERED, WE WOULDN'T BE HERE RIGHT NOW? MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST GO AWAY AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE! JUST LEAVE ME ALONE, OKAY?!(beat)Chamametchi: (Inelegant Blubbering)
- Rubber Man: At one point, Kuchipatchi gets stretched out in order to use him as a trampoline.
- Rube Goldberg Device: The film shows that Mametchi has one in his bedroom. It activates a platform next to the house, acting as an elevator to his bedroom from the outside.
- She's a Man in Japan: The Italian dub changes Ms. Perfect and Ringotchi into males.
- Space Friction: Subverted. The rocket Mametchi and his friends steal has to be adjusted to a certain position to shoot the Planet's medicine, but it does so using smaller rockets on the ship's arms (to rotate) and four smaller jets (to reverse and slow down) instead of just stopping.
- Space Is Noisy: The Tamagotchi Planet and Blackholetchi are able to talk freely in space.
- Theme Tune Cameo: Tanpopo's ringtone is the film's ending theme.
- Title: The Adaptation: Tamagotchi: The Movie.
- Token Human: Tanpopo is the only human character in this film. Justified since she's not supposed to be on Tamagotchi Planet in the first place and got teleported there by accident.
- Unrealistic Black Hole: Mametchi and Tanpopo encounter a vacuum-cleaner-type one in outer space. Justified as it's not a real black hole, but rather a living black hole named Blackholetchi.