Tada Never Falls in Love (Japanese: 多田くんは恋をしない Hepburn: Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai) is a Japanese romantic comedy anime television series produced by Doga Kobo. It aired in Spring 2018. The series is licensed in North America by Sentai Filmworks.
The story follows Mitsuyoshi Tada, a boy who has never known love. He is taking pictures of the cherry blossoms in full bloom when he meets Teresa Wagner, a transfer student from a fictional European country called Larsenburg (ラルセンブルク Rarusenburuku). It seems that she separated from her travel companion upon arriving in Japan. Tada helps her and brings her to his grandfather's coffee shop. Teresa's travel companion and bodyguard Alec arrives and beats up Kaoru misunderstanding him as chasing after Teresa. They discover that the hotel they're supposed to be staying in is actually next to Tada's cafe. The next day, they enroll in Tada's school and are in the same class. Alec agrees on joining the Photography Club on Teresa's request that she also wants to take great pictures. Mitsuyoshi is actually an aspiring photographer and wants to become like his father, who was a famous photographer. Mitsuyoshi lost his parents in a car accident during their childhood. The one last photo his father took and the camera were the only things that came back. The story focuses on the adventures of Tada and his friends and their building relationships.
Tada Never Falls in Love contains the examples of these followng tropes:
- Bookends: the series begins with Mitsuyoshi and Teresa standing in front of each other in Cherry Blossoms.
- Butt-Monkey: Kaoru always got his ass kicked by Alec.
- The Cameo / Homage: Never mentioned within the show but Duke Todo, of all people, is apparently a regular at the family coffee shop. He even pops up during the street fair and secretly snipes a prize for Tada and Theresa.
- Clark Kenting: When Hinako is wearing glasses and sporting a more modest schoolgirl uniform, Hajime is completely unable to tell that she's really his favorite idol and crush Hina.
- Fiery Redhead: despite being The Stoic, Alec comes off as this when protecting Theresa.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Teresa is a blonde and a really nice person. And despite the fact that he was Theresa's Fiancee, Charles is this too.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: after realizing that Theresa loves Mitsuyoshi and he loves her back, Charles lets his feelings go towards Theresa, and after that Alec consoles him.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Hajime.
- No Communities Were Harmed: Larsenberg were pretty much based on Luxembourg.
- Oblivious to Love: Tada is this, at least at first.
- Occidental Otaku: Theresa is a MASSIVE fan of a Japanese tv show called "Rainbow Shogun".
- Official Couple: Mitsuyoshi and Teresa.
- Really Royalty Reveal: Teresa is revealed to be the crown princess of the fictional European country, Larsenberg.
- Skewed Priorities: Theresa is torn apart between her love for Mitsuyoshi and Larsenberg, her country. Ultimately, she chose the former.
- The Stoic: Mitsuyoshi.