Street Fighter Alpha: Generations is a 2005 Japanese animated film produced by Studio A.P.P.P. and released by Manga Entertainment based on the Street Fighter Alpha series. Its production is unrelated to 1999's Street Fighter Alpha: The Animation, which was produced by Group TAC. The film was produced specifically for the English market and was not officially released in Japan until its inclusion as a bonus feature in the DVD version of Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li.
The movie itself begins with a flashback to Akuma and Gouken's past, showing not only how they used to be when younger but also their bonds with their master Goutetsu and Gotetsu's niece Sayaka — but one also learns how Akuma killed Goutetsu and severed his ties with everyone else. In the present, Ryu is visiting Gouken's old place and passes out after a short meeting with Akuma; he's taken in by an Old Master who knew Gouken from a long time ago, befriends said master's granddaughter Fuuka, and with their help alongside Sakura's, he begins to prepare himself for what could be his last duel with Akuma ever... and his own death.
- After Action Patch Up: The younger Akuma gets this from Sayaka after a fight with Gouken. Akuma remembers this right at the end of the fight with Ryu, prompting him to leave.
- Ambiguously Evil: Akuma, who is obsessed to the extreme with Ryu and the Satsui no Hado, but towards the end recalls his bittersweet younger days and leaves, probably overwhelmed by the memories.
- Animation Bump: This film is gorgeously animated, and it specially shows during the really well-done fighting scenes.
- Archnemesis Dad: Akuma's actual relationship to Ryu, according to this movie.
- Bathtub Bonding: Sakura and Fuuka.
- Big Fancy House:
- In the flashback, Goutetsu lives in a huge Japanese traditional complex that is placed atop of a hill. Gotetsu's relative Sayaka is seen as its landlady and caretaker.
- The Old Master's temple and home is not exactly smaller.
- Bittersweet Ending: Ryu manages to survive the duel with Akuma, and it's hinted that Akuma himself may not be fully gone, as he has a vision of his happy younger times with Sayaka and Gouken before leaving... but the Old Master who helped Ryu dies of old age, and Ryu himself leaves the place shortly after his burial.
- Death by Childbirth: The Old Master mentions that he once helped take care of a newborn child. The mother died of this... and while her name is not mentioned, it's a sure thing that she was Sayaka.
- Downer Beginning: It begins with Akuma's Duel to the Death with Goutetsu.
- Genki Girl: Sakura, as usual.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Holy shit, both Akuma◊ and Gouken◊ look very different from their older selves. Gouken is a borderline Long-Haired Pretty Boy, even!
- Luke, I Am Your Father:
- It's heavily implied that Ryu is Akuma and Sayaka's son. Especially in Akuma's keen interest to have Ryu fully awaken the Satsui no Hado through a fight with him and how the Old Master tells Ken that he once helped take care of a child whose mother went the Death by Childbirth and also promised to "not let the child take the same path as the father", which would mirror the Ryu vs. Akuma sub-plot.
- There are hints that Fuuka could be Gouken's daughter. She says that the Old Master is her Parental Substitute, that her biological father was a great martial artist and that "a great battle took place where he died"; this could be an allusion to both Gouken and Akuma's own fight and the description of Gouken's unnamed daughter from Word of God. As a plus, sharp-eyed viewers will notice that Fuuka looks terrifyingly similar to Gouken's younger self◊.
- Old Master: Ryu befriends one, as well as his granddaughter Fuuka.
- Ship Tease:
- Ryu had some with both Fuuka and Sakura.
- Akuma and Sayaka, too.
- Start of Darkness: The first part of the movie showcases Akuma's fall into bloodstained ruthlessness.
- Superpowered Evil Side: The plot of the movie is seeing how Akuma lost himself to his own one, and how he wants Ryu to do the same.
- Two Guys and a Girl: When they were young, Akuma and Gouken had this relationship with a young woman named Sayaka. She's all but stated to have been Akuma's lover... and Ryu's birth mother.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: Sayaka pulls this in the flashback, when she and Gouken try to stop Akuma and Goutetsu's Duel to the Death. This hints that she's already pregnant with Ryu by the time this happens.
- You Killed My Mentor: Akuma killed both his mentor Goutetsu and his brother Gouken, a.k.a. Ryu and Ken's own mentor.