Shima Shima Tora no Shimajirō (しましまとらのしまじろう?, lit. "Striped Island Tiger Shimajirō") is a 1993 Japanese children's Slice of Life anime series primarily aimed at preschoolers.
The entire series focuses on Shimajirō Shimano, a curious tiger boy living in Challenge Island. Being the second in the family, he attends Kindergarten alongside his friends as they all discover everything around them, and learn valuable lessons as they grow up.
- Alliterative Name: Shimajirō Shimano, and Mimirin Midorihara.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Ramurin Makiba and Nyakkii Momoyama are both pink.
- Animal Gender-Bender: An episode in the 2009 remake averts this. In the toilet training episode, a kangaroo superhero◊ shows up to help teach Shimajiro learn to use the toilet, and brings his son along with him; because he's specifically a boomernote , he has to wear a separate pouch so he can carry the joey while leaving his hands free.
- Animate Inanimate Object: Some inanimate objects are turned anthropomorphic, in order to demonstrate lessons. However, this is sometimes taken to the next level. For example, in an episode about diseases and the immune system, the germs are portrayed as apes and rats, while the antibodies are portrayed as miniature versions of the body them live in. After all, this is just Japanese weirdness.
- Art Shift: The earliest episodes were traditionally animated, but it seems that the show had shifted to cel-shaded CGI sometime in The New '10s.
- Bunnies for Cuteness: Mimirin.
- Childhood Friends: Shimajiro, Mimirin, Torippii, and Ramurin.
- Keet: Shimajiro himself is enthusiastic about anything. Toriipi as well, but is it any surprise since he's an anthropomorphic parakeet?
- Green Aesop: In one episode, Shimajiro and his friends come across a magical catfish, who has been depressed over the ruined environment he lives in. They, with help of adults, clean up the place and the catfish becomes happy once again.
- Long Runner: Been on the air since 1993, and new episodes are still being made. That's 23 years of Shimajiro.
- The Magic Touch: In one episode, Shimajiro is granted the ability to turn anything he touches pink. This doesn't turn out to be well.
- Mr. Imagination: Shimajiro.
- Potty Emergency: Shimajiro has one in the first version of "Any toilet can be a piece of cake!", as well as in the short "The Pee Bucket" on the "Do It By Yourself!" DVD. In both instances, he makes it.
- Potty Failure: In an early episode, Shimajiro wets the bed, and leaves his pants out to dry on his window. Toriipi helps the pants to dry by putting magic crystals on them.
- Stock "Yuck!": Green peppers for Shimajiro, and carrots for Mimirin (who is, ironically, a rabbit).
- The Moving Experience: Averted, Ramurin really did move away in the 2012 Very Special Episode. The episode is proudly advertised as a Tear Jerker by the makers of the show.
- Three Shorts: This show does the ABA format, with a live action segment featuring a costume Shimajiro being the B.
- Toilet Training Plot:
- The first was "If You Can Use The Toilet, You're A Pantsman", about Shimajiro learning how to use the toilet. It also got a remake in 2009.
- In "Any Toilet Can Be A Piece of Cake!", Shimajiro learns how to use a squat toilet while at the mall. There was a remake of this in 2015, but it was different from the original, which also featured a segment similar to the third example.
- A "Do it by yourself!" segment introduces a character called the Pee Bucket, who teaches Shimajiro to go to the bathroom before his bladder is full on a car trip.
- A much later episode involving this taught viewers how to make using the toilet after having dinner fun by imagining that you're someplace else.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Torippy and takoyaki (octopus balls; no, it's not as gross as it sounds).
- Very Special Episode: There are 3 episodes teaching kids about potty-training. The first was the one everyone knows and loves, the second was about public restrooms, and the third had a superhero named "Pants Man", an anthropomorphic kangaroo.
- White Bunny: Mimirin.
- World of Funny Animals