A 2012 anime movie produced by Sunrise and directed by Ryosuke Nakamura, Psychic School Wars (Nerawareta Gakuen) is based on a short novel by Taku Mayumura. It follows childhood friends Kenji and Natsuki, together with their class representative Kahori, as a mysterious new transfer student named Ryoichi appears.
The film dubbed in English by NYAV Post.
Nerawareta Gakuen provides examples of:
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: It doesn't take long for the student council to find a rule allowing them to suspend students.
- Accidental Pervert: Early on, Natsuki nicknames Kenji "Mr Open Fly". It isn't the last time.
- Affectionate Nickname: When they were Kids, Kenji used to call Natsuki "Natsu" and Natsuki used to call Kenji "Ken-chan".
- Bishōnen: Kyogoku
- Bookends: The film starts with a gossip: "Have you heard? We have a new transfer student coming to school." then the scene shifts to Kyogoku arriving the present Earth. At the very end of the film, the same exact line was said, then Kenji (wearing the same outfit as Kyogoku from the beginning), was shown returning to the present time in the background, reuniting with Natsuki.
- Cherry Blossoms: They appear nearly everywhere.
- Chick Magnet: Kyogoku
- Class Representative: Kahori. She doesn't fit the stereotype though.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Natsuki to Kenji. A lot. She often belittles him and hits him several times over the course of the movie. At one point, she even draws blood from his nose when hitting him, and several times her hits prompt him to shout he's in pain. It's always played for laughs.
- Just Friends: Natsuki tells Kahori that she and Kenji are only neighbours and she has no feelings for him, but this isn't quite true.
- Psychic Powers: A major part of the plot. Kyogoku is a psychic from a future where humans have evacuated Earth to live on the moon, and his mission is to awaken psychic powers in as many people as possible and bring them back home.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Played for laughs when Kenji turns up to save Natsuki from the student council in swimming trunks and his goggles shine as he walks in.
- Scenery Porn
- Spice Up the Subtitles: Although a more accurate translation of Natsuki's nickname for Kenji is "Mr Open Fly", some versions of the sub instead translate it as "Jack the Zipper"
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Kyogoku and Kahori
- The Stinger: Kenji returns to the present day after the credits.
- Time Travel: Kyogoku comes from the future. Kenji goes there too near the end of the film.
- Tsundere: Expect to hear Natsuki say "baka" a lot. It's even the last word in the film!
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Natsuki to Kenji.