Pokémon Black 2 and White 2: Introduction Movie is the unofficial name for an animated trailer meant to advertise the then-upcoming Pokémon Black 2 and White 2. Released in 2012, it's a short trailer featuring scenes from the game.
It starts with the male protagonist Nate and his rival Hugh meeting Bianca to get their starter Pokémon. It then cuts to the female protagonist Rosa battling gym leader Cheren with her Serperior. Some time later, Nate and his Lucario confront Colress, before cutting to Nate and his Embroar challenging Elesa. In the next scene Nate, Hugh, and Cheren battle against New Team Plasma members on a ship. It then cuts again to Nate chasing after the Shadow Triad. The trailer ends with a shot of the logo.
Pokémon Black 2 and White 2: Introduction Movie was very well-received by fans for its accuracy to the games and its stellar animation. This led to a later animated trailer for Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Its positive reception also led to Pokémon Origins and Pokémon Generations, two short animated series also based Truer to the Text. Additionally, its animation and usage of 3D environments instead of Speed Stripes panels for battle backgrounds became the base foundation for Pokémon the Series: XY.
This trailer provides examples of:
- Adaptation Personality Change: Elesa smiles in her scene but Word of God is that Elesa is supposed to be stoic, which her official art also supports.
- The Coats Are Off: Elesa pulls off her coat right before her battle with Nate.
- Hero of Another Story: In the games, the opposite gender protagonist is a trainer you meet and can battle alongside of. The trailer goes into more depth by depicting Rosa as a seasoned trainer with a Serperior, around the same time Nate receives his starter.
- No Name Given: Neither of the protagonists (Nate and Rosa) or their rival (Hugh) are named in the short.
- Pokémon Speak: Averted. The Pokémon use more realistic noises. This would later be repeated in other Truer to the Text animations like Pokémon Origins and Pokémon Generations.
- Rivals Team Up: Nate and Hugh may be rivals, but they team up (along with Cheren) against Team Plasma. (It helps that they have a Friendly Rivalry and would therefore be more amenable to working together.
- Spiritual Successor: Pokémon had previously done similar animated shorts for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, though not quite as long until Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity received animated shorts.
- Truer to the Text: Than the anime or any other previous adaptation. It's a direct translation of the games meant to advertise the games.