Plastic Little is a Seinen Anime created by Satoshi Urushihara and Kinji Yoshimoto at studio KSS. It was published in Japan as a one-shot OVA on the 21st of March, 1994. It was first released in North America on VHS by ADV Films; in 2001 ADV announced that the Anime would be released on to DVD on February 5, 2002.
Later adapted into a single volume Manga released in May 2004, published by Gakken and featured in Comic Nora. The manga continues on the plot of the original OVA.
The story involves Tita Mu Koshigaya, a young woman who captains the ship Cha-Cha Maru, and who collects exotic animals for sale to zoos for profit. The captain becomes involved in a war of international importance when her Love Interest and shipmate Elysse is tracked down by a militant force intent on discovering a secret that may serve the deciding factor to the world's future. Both incarnations of the story include an action/adventure plot stimulated with heavy character interaction and much Fanservice as common for a Satoshi Urushihara work.
Contains Examples Of:
- Accidental Pervert: Nichol, mostly in the manga.
- A-Cup Angst: Tita, big time.
- Air-Vent Passageway
- All There in the Manual: Promotional materials explain that the story is set on a Floating Continent in the atmosphere of a gas giant. There are hardly any metals available to the colonists, so everything's made out of plastic synthesized from hydrocarbons in the clouds, hence the title.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy/Nipple and Dimed: While the anime no doubt had no shortage of lovingly-drawn and detailed breasts and nipples (with a few ass shots thrown in for good measure), the females' crotches were always featureless in the few blink-and-you'll-miss-it moments they were exposed. Briefly averted in the manga, however, which shows a bit of Tita's pubic hair that was just a bit too high up to be cut off by the panel border.
- Bond Villain Stupidity: During the final battle, the main villain has Tita by the neck and is counting down until he breaks it, when Tita finishes it from him and blows his brains out. What makes it particularly stupid is that the villain knows Tita is holding the gun (and she is still capable of using it) and doesn't do anything to disarm her.
- Bulletproof Human Shield: Tita uses herself as one during the climax. Elysse does get a potentially permanent scar when one bullet manages to strike her, though. It's because her industrial-strength armor.
- Nichol also does this for Tita in the manga. The two hook up not long after.
- Bulletproof Vest: Pet Shop Hunter jumpsuits. However, it is demonstrated that just because armor can keep bullets out doesn't mean it necessarily prevents damage - On one occasion, the Big Bad tortures Tita by repeatedly shooting her in the stomach until the she spits blood from internal injuries.
- Cool Airship: So impossibly cool, it has a gigantic fish-tank (capable of holding several air-whales), and a water park for a "bath." What.
- Damsel in Distress: Elysse, right from the start.
- The Dulcinea Effect: Tita hesitates for about 0'0005 nanoseconds before running in to rescue a complete stranger from a bunch of guys who are so obviously State Sec.
- Fan Nickname: "Plastic Nipple".
- Fanservice: So, so very much.
- Gainax Bounce: The quintessential example of this trope. The Gainaxing is so overdone that the DVD includes an on-screen "jiggle counter" as a special feature.
- Gratuitous Russian: The Russian of the news paper some of the crew members is reading is really, really bad.
- Nosebleed: Nichol gets a big one while spying on Tita and Elysse in the bath.
- Official Couple: Tita and Nichol, as of the fourth manga chapter.
- Painted-On Pants: Actually, a painted-on jumpsuit that is improbably bulletproof.
- Skinship Grope: Tita, when she discovers that the girl she's rescued is not only younger than her, but several cup sizes larger.
- Tsundere: Mild example with Tita. She's actually very friendly, but don't peep on her or she'll bash your head in. This behavior towards Nichol, the resident Accidental Pervert, is lessened once the two become a couple in the manga. Roger, not so much.