Nyanbo! is an anime spinoff of Yotsuba&!, centering around feline versions of the Danboro characters from the manga.
This anime contains examples of:
- Amnesiac Hero: A rare example where every single character is affected with this prior to the beginning of the show.
- The Cameo: Yotsuba herself shows up in the credits sequence, coloring various pictures of the Nyanbo. She has no speaking lines, of course.
- Colorful Theme Naming: Tora, Kotora, Sabatora, Kijitora, Shiro, Kuro, and Socks are all named after their fur patterns note
- Goggles Do Nothing: Tora spends half the time wearing a pair of safety goggles around his neck. The implication is that he wears them when he's working on the UFO, but he never actually wears them on his face on-screen.
- It Is Pronounced "Tro-PAY": Mike's name might look like the shorthand for "Michael" or "Michelangelo", and thus be pronounced similarly to "mic", but it's actually pronounced "Mii-kay"
- Roger Rabbit Effect: All the characters and most of the props are CG, while the backgrounds are all live-action footage. On more than one occasion, the characters also interact with live cats.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Blaze faints when he's told that Kuro is actually male (although in later episodes, Blaze continues to try to win-over Kuro's affections, flip-flopping between still referring to Kuro as "she" and acknowledging that Kuro is male but wanting "him" anyway).
- Visual Pun:
- Shiro and Sabatora often have cat-fights over Tora.
- Kijitora is a cat-like creature ("neko") who wears glasses ("megane"), making her a Meganekko.