Most humans don't have access to 70% of their brain's mental power. However, some people do, and those people are called psychics.
The anime begins with two brothers, Naoto and Naoya Kirihara, who were born with psychic powers. They couldn't fit in with normal people because they couldn't control their powers well, especially when they overwhelmed by their abilities due to being so young. Their parents couldn't take the stress of caring for such abnormal children anymore, so they drugged the boys and handed them over to a mysterious laboratory to be cared for and watched over.
After causing a scene at the facility out of anger, Naoto recalls his mother's words and realizes that he and his younger brother only have each other, so he vows to stay by Naoya's side and be his protector forever. Fast forward 15 years later: when the director of the laboratory dies, the invisible barrier surrounding the building disappears, so now Naoto and Naoya are free to escape and experience the "normal' world as adults.
The anime is an adaptation of a 1992 Japanese live-action drama called Night Head. The series also has a 2 volume manga adaptation.
The Night Head franchise received a reboot anime, Night Head 2041, set to air in 2021.
Tropes that appear in Night Head Genesis
- Big Brother Instinct: Naoto is very protective of meek younger brother, Naoya and vows never to leave his side as they are all they got in this world.
- The Empath: Naoya is so in tune with his ability to feel emotions that negative emotions coming from a large group of people gives severe Sensory Overload to the point he becomes catatonic
- A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Read: Naoya gets easily overwhelmed listening to everyone's thoughts and emotions all the time to the point it brings him to a near cataonic state
- Psychic Children: Psychic abilities appear to manifest at birth. The brothers had trouble fitting in with other children as Naoya gets easily overwhelmed with being to hear everyone thoughts (via touching people and objects). Naota is slightly in more control of his powers due to being old but he loses his temper quickly and has a penchant of shattering windows and rough housing people around with his powers when upset.
- Psychic Nosebleed: Naoto gets a nose-bleed in class after being overwhelmed with his powers.
- Psychometry: Naoya can see the memories of objects he touches. That's how he knew the drink that their parents gave him and Naoto was drugged.
- Tampering with Food and Drink: Naoto and Naoya's parents drug their melon sodas to subdue the boys so they can give them away to the laboratory.
- Telepathy: Naoto has the ability of telepathy which he uses to talk to Naoya in secret.