The aliens have landed! But that was many years ago, and no one really cares any more. All the fuss and excitement over the arriving UFOs has, for the most part, settled down, and people have returned to everyday life. Aliens, too, are gradually integrating into normal human society. Our story follows one Mayuko Chigasaki, a hard working, self supporting cram school student, who also works multiple part time jobs simply to pay for school and feed herself. Niea is the lazy, selfish, freeloading alien who lives in her cupboard, eats all her food, and generally drives her nuts.
Niea_7 is an anime series created by Yoshitoshi ABe note , produced with the same team that worked on Serial Experiments Lain. Despite being a typical Yoshitoshi ABe product, it is ostensibly a comedy series. It holds much more interest as a Slice of Life series following everyday life in the sleepy district of Enohana, tracking Mayuko's struggles to come to terms with herself and the world around her.
Niea_7 provides examples of:
- Anime Chinese Girl: Karna dresses and behaves like a stereotypical Chinese girl, even though she is actually an alien.
- Big Eater: Niea. About the only thing she does is eat, sleep and build UFOs.
- Blush Sticker: Niea sports two perpetual ones. Karna too, so it's likely an alien thing.
- Closet Sublet: Niea, who lives in Mayuko's closet.
- Cranial Eruption: Niea receives quite an amount of abuse from Mayuko. Deservedly.
- Cute Little Fangs: Niea sports one fang to emphasize her reckless easygoing tomboyish nature.
- Fantastic Caste System: The aliens are divided into social castes based on the size/complexity of their antenna. Niea having none is at the rock bottom.
- Fantastic Racism: A common theme throughout the series, also dealing with the sudden immigration of the aliens.
- Large Ham: Karna, whose easily irritable nature makes her chew the scenery like there's no tomorrow.
- Loners Are Freaks: Niea rarely socializes much with anyone, human or alien. She has her reasons, though — she is discriminated because of Fantastic Racism.
- Mundane Fantastic: The arrival of aliens hasn't made any large impact on society. (Chiaki is intensely interested in alien tech and culture, but she's an outlier.)
- Noble Womans Laugh: Karna, whenever she starts feeling superior to the other aliens.
- Only One Name: Niea doesn't seem to have a last name.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Mayuko, who is ordinary, and a high school student
- Otaku: Chiaki, who loves UFOs and tries to replicate them.
- Power Levels: The aliens rank themselves as "Plusses" and "Unders" based on the size and complexity of their antennae. Niea is a rare, ultra low Under 7, since she even lacks an antenna.
- Running Gag: The skinny old guy at Chada's cuisine tryout meetings who always begs for water but never gets it.
- Sitting on the Roof: Being a reckless tomboy, Niea loves doing sitting on Mayuko's house roof.. Mayuko too, at times, albeit for a different reason.
- Unusual Ears: All the aliens have pointy, kind of elf-like ears.