The dragon sleeps under the ground of this land… It gives an abundant harvest on the land when sleeping, but brings a disaster when it is awake. In every decade or hundreds of years, the dragon moves its body as if it tosses about unconsciously. The movement becomes the distortion and causes impurity. This “impurity” lavishes an evil on people. And now, there is a huge indication of a distortion. Gods foresaw the greatest harm would happen to Japan, divide own power and give it off as a messenger of God (御先神, Shinshi) in Japan to gather mediums, or “Magica” who can expel the “impurity”. With the magical weapon the power of Gods, the "Magica" will fight to stop evils in Japan.
Mahou Shoujo Taisen (魔法少女大戦, lit. "Magical Girl Wars"), a.k.a. Magica Wars, is a media franchise created by the internet television variety show 2.5 Jigen Terebi. It consists of three video games, and an anime television series by Studio Gainax starting in the Spring 2014 Anime season. The franchise's aim is to represent all 47 prefectures of Japan by way of magical girls. The character design would be picked from a Pixiv-based contest, and then will be voiced by a seiyuu native to the region.
Tropes in Mahou Shoujo Taisen:
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Sometimes, the magatsuhi-infested thing grows to epic proportions.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Rin's grandmother.
- Dark Magical Girl: One appears in Rin Kobari's story arc, hinting that it's not all fun and games in this world.
- Gainax Ending: The final episode is either this, or a Sequel Hook: A meteor flies through the sky and we see each of the magical girls from the previous episodes noticing it as they go about their everyday lives. Then we cut to a random girl noticing the meteor, and trying to make a wish on it, distracting her long enough to miss her bus. Then we cut to where the meteor landed, which turns out to be another magical girl and her mascot. The magical girl transforms, declares that she has come to slay gods, and then she walks away.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: 47 magical girl-sidekick pairs are planned, not counting supporting characters. However, the anime's opening theme only showcased seven.
- Magical Girl
- Transformation Sequence: Well every girl had one, duh.
- Utility Magic: Yuri's sidekick laments that her powers should be used for fighting magatsuhi, not espionage.