Tokyo, 2030. A high-frequency resonance is suddenly heard in a suburban area, and at the same time, the entire town is shrouded in a red mist. All living things that hear the sounds, human and animal alike, lose consciousness. The phenomenon is assumed to be an unidentified virus, so due to fear of a spreading epidemic, Tokyo is blocked off from the rest of the country. About six months later, all the people who had lost consciousness awaken as if nothing ever happened. However, strange incidents start happening on that same day, and the city becomes engulfed by a chain of cruel destinies.
Based on the card game of the same name. The animated adaptation aired on July 13, 2018.
- Badass Finger Snap: This is how Jun activates his power.
- Big Sleep: Chihiro spent five months is a coma during the Great Collapse, while all the other victims awoke within a week.
- Brown Note: This is how the Great Collapse began.
- Closed Circle: Apparently the red fog has encircled all of Tokyo, and while at first you could get out, now the entire city is trapped.
- Coat Cape: Yuri and Isshin both wear their coats this way.
- Cool Shades: We haven't seen Jun without them, although his ambiguous motives can turn them into Sinister Shades. They even turn red when his using his powers.
- Domino Mask: Dux wears one, and her eyes haven't been seen yet.
- Dynamic Entry: Haru enters the fight by punching Koume in the face. She's unamused about it.
- Eyepatch of Power: Koume wears a medical eyepatch. It turns red when using her powers.
- Fair Cop: Marie is certainly a beautiful police officer.
- Familiar: Defenders act as this for vessels of the Heroic Lineage. They can only assume their true forms when their respective vessels say their true names.
- Flight: Vessels are capable of flying.
- Grey-and-Gray Morality: Both sides believe their cause is righteous, and the members of each side are varied in morality.
- Harping on About Harpies: Aero's true form looks like a multicolored harpy.
- Human Sacrifice: People are apparently used to open gates to let monsters into the world, most likely as vessels.
- Intrepid Reporter: Isshin sees himself as one, although he can also be rather nosy and insensitive.
- Kill and Replace: Humans are used as fuel to open the gates that summon monsters, effectively killing them. Defenders also do this involuntarily, but they can outwardly return to their host's original form.
- Makara: Makara is a huge golden fish with tusks and three appendages attached to its face that hold the middle between trunks and tentacles. One's on its nose, the other two are located at the corners of its mouth. It's classified as a Seirei Kemono, said to be the mount of a god, and apparently tastes delicious.
- Over-the-Shoulder Carry: Koume is seen doing this with a man much taller than she is.
- Pointy Ears: Cerdid has elf-like pointy ears on her true form.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: This is how Chihiro shows he has awakened his powers. All vessels of the Heroic Lineage have glowing red eyes when using their powers.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Kotetsu's father is one of the first people that are used to open a gate.
- Super-Empowering: The Great Collapse granted blood powers to anyone with Heroic Blood.
- These Hands Have Killed: Chihiro feels this way when he kills Kotetsu's possessed father.
- We ARE Struggling Together: It doesn't matter if the fate of the world is at stake, the Heroic vessels can't get along or work towards the same goal.