Hikiko: Urban Legend Story (original title Hikiko: Toshi densetsu monogatari) is a Japanese psychological horror OVA film released on August 8, 2008. It is loosely based on the urban legend of a girl named Hikiko who was abused by her parents and bullied by her classmates, causing her to commit suicide and vow revenge on those that tormented her. Despite that, the film only adheres to the legend slightly.
Known for its early-2000s CGI despite being released in 2008. Can be viewed for free on YouTube, DailyMotion, and Facebook with English subtitles.
A detailed review for this obscure OVA be read here.
Hikiko: Urban Legend Story provides examples of the following tropes:
- Ambiguous Ending: So ambiguous that one can't even tell what the twist was meant to be.
- Bad People Abuse Animals: What the bullies do to the kitten.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Why the girl protagonist protects the boy protagonist. It could also be the reason why Hikiko attacks bullies most of the time.
- The Bully: The rowdy kids in the class who pick on a shy and timid boy.
- Bully Brutality: The bullies tie a cat to the back of a car just For the Evulz.
- Car Fu
- Daylight Horror: Day time does not stop the horror from continuing.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Hikiko kills the teacher for having a little girl's body dragged in an attempt to save the kitten.
- Eye Scream
- Ghostly Goals: Hikiko seems to attack the bullies that pick on weak children.
- Gray Rain of Depression: Common setting throughout the film.
- Jump Scare: Several of them.
- Oh, Crap!
- The Reveal: Although very ambigious, it appears the boy protagonist was the one being bullied instead of the girl. Hence why his fellow classmates were shocked why he showed up in the class reunion 15 years later.
- Split Personality: The boy seems to develop one after years of abuse and bullying.
- Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl: As with the Japanese Onryō myth.
- Would Hurt a Child: The bullies and Hikiko herself.