Gundam Seed Character Theater is a short series of omakes included with the DVD editions of the Gundam SEED Destiny series. They are hilarious and in no way meant to be taken seriously, and good-naturedly mock everything about the series in general.
The following tropes apply:
- The Ace - Yzak thinks Athrun is this and attempts to discover his secret in the first short.
- Art Shift: Kira and Athrun yell out each others' names in regular anime style... before we see that they are playing a video game and they switch back to Super-Deformed.
- Boring Failure Hero - The ZAFT people (Shinn, Rey, Luna, Meyrin) try to be heroes to ZAFT (and in Rey's case Gilbert). This is usually the result.
- Covers Always Lie: See several of the characters in the page image who should be dead by the end of SEED? They don't appear here.
- Deadpan Snarker - Dearka to Yzak. Up to Eleven, as that seems to be Dearka's entire dialouge range.
- Depth Deception - Hey, it's Tori, Kira's little robot bir-HOLY SHIT WHEN DID HE GET SO BIG?!
- Epic Fail - The results of trying to destroy Athrun and Kira's friendship backfire like you wouldn't believe.
- Forehead of Doom: Poked fun at with Athrun's.
- Gone Horribly Right: Yzak manages to go into SEED Mode... and then his newfound strength breaks the volleyball and costs him the game.
- Hilarity Ensues - The raison d'etre behind the whole thing.
- Failure Is the Only Option - Even when Yzak wins, he loses. He has a giant photo album of all of his losses!
- Make Wrong What Once Went Right - In the second short, Shinn, Rey and Luna's mission is to destroy Kira and Athrun's lifelong friendship. It doesn't work.
- Mission Control - Meyrin. Oddly, Talia Gladys is missing, and her filling this role would make even more sense.
- Moe Anthropomorphism - The whole character design of everyone. Even more silly when it averts this.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero! - Rey's attempt to sabotage Lacus' cooking make it even better to Kira.
- Nosebleed - One of the episodes has the cast of SEED Destiny try to break Kira and Lacus up. Lunamaria just happens to scout ahead while Kira and Lacus are making out. The resultant nosebleed sends her flying a few hundred meters.Lunamaria: (Her nosebleed sends her flying) Weapooooon!
Rey: Lunamaria's been taken down.
Shinn: I wonder what she saw?
- Offscreen Teleportation: Kira and Athrun have no idea how they ended up at the beach volleyball game.
- Refuge in Audacity - Shinn. In drag. Singing one of Lacus' pop standards while shredding the stage with Sword Impulse's BFS. That is all.
- Rule of Cool - EVERYONE can go into SEED mode, and they usually dial their own awesome Up to Eleven.
- Rule of Funny: Cagalli turning into the Strike Rouge when she goes SEED Mode? Dearka having access to a human-sized version of the Buster's cannons? Shinn using the Destiny's wings of light? Can't happen anywhere but here.
- Say My Name: Kira and Athrun do this while their friendship levels rise. While holding hands. And they get more excited the more they say their names.
- Shout-Out - To Gundam in general, and even Sailor Moon at one point.
- Super-Deformed: Uses this art style.
- You Have Failed Me - What Rey the Gilbert Durandal fanboy lives in fear of from the man himself.