In the late Edo period, Japan had experienced an unprecedented threat by Kurofune (Black Ships), an invasion from foreign countries. But a giant robot called Onigami, which has existed since ancient time, defeated the Kurofune ships and the exclusion of foreigners was achieved. As a result the Meiji Restoration never happened.
Fast forward years later. A young man named Keiichiro is going about his normal life, consisting of beating up fellow delinquents and unifying Nagasaki. Until one day his friend is killed. He is then approached by a beautiful woman named Kiriko Hattori. She explains that the serial killer was after him because they wanted to conquer Japan and they viewed him as a threat because he was actually a member of the Tokugawa family. She also tells him that the only way to defeat them is to use the Onigami. There's one catch: the Onigami's pilot must be a virgin. Can Keiichirou defeat the nefarious group looking to conquer Japan?
Dai-Shogun - Great Revolution (風雲維新ダイ☆ショーグン Fūun Ishin Dai Shōgun?) is a original mecha anime television series, directed by Takashi Watanabe and animated by JC Staff and A.C.G.T. The mecha designs are by Makoto Ishiwata of nitro+ It airs as a part Spring 2014 Anime.
This series is currently being remade into a CGI Animated series.
This anime provides the examples for:
- Alternate History: Takes place in a time when Meiji Restoration never happened.
- All-CGI Cartoon: The remake is planned to be this.
- Anachronism Stew: It's a Jidai Geki setting with mechas and Sky Pirates.
- Attempted Rape: Mentioned in Hyogo backstory and she manages to fend them off.
- Bag of Kidnapping: In the 8th episode Kiriko is kidnapped this way by Ryouma and his friends after winning her in a game of rock, paper, scissors.
- Can't Have Sex, Ever: Keiichirou was revealed to be cursed and some point in order to stop from having sex and thus not being able to pilot the Susanoo. As a result he'll either break into hives and later pass out whenever a girl touches him. Until it was broken in episode 5.
- Drop the Hammer: Keiichirou wields a sledgehammer as his Weapon of Choice before it was destroyed in episode seven.
- Gainaxing: The remake takes this to ridiculous levels.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Chiharu is half kitusne because of her parentage.
- Hidden Buxom: Hyogo has the largest breasts in the show and yet they're perfectly hidden in her male clothes.
- A Mecha By Any Other Name: They're called puppets.
- Sex Is Evil: Houkouin is an unabashed Card-Carrying Villain, Depraved Bisexual, and overall incredible skank by any standard. She gets aroused at the drop of a hat, makes constant sexual innuendos, talks about having sex over and over with hot guys, and molests her henchwoman, not to mention her Stripperiffic clothes. Hondo, one of the Shinsengumi, who act as villains, suggests seduction as a tactic, and another one of them actually tries it the same episode. Meanwhile, most of the good guys are virgins. Mildly zigzagged, in that the hero Keiichiro definitely does not want to be a virgin, and his partner Kiriko is also considered very sexy, and also wears a rather revealing ninja outfit.
- Stripperiffic: Houkouin exposes a generous portion of her breasts , stomach and back.
- Super Robot: The Onigami is virgin powered and sentient.
- Verbal Tic: Houkouin ends most of her sentences with -arisu.
- Virgin Power: Rare Male Example. The Onigami Susanoo is powered because Keiichirou is a virgin. Susanoo also needs a female virgin in order to enter combat mode.
- You Killed My Father: Hyogo's primary goal is to find and slay the ones that killed her father.