In the late Edo period, Japan had experienced an unprecedented threat by Kurofune (Black Ships), an invasion from foreign countries. But a giant robot called Onigami, which has existed since ancient time, defeated the Kurofune ships and the exclusion of foreigners was achieved. As a result the Meiji Restoration never happened.
Fast forward years later. A young man named Keiichiro is going about his normal life, consisting of beating up fellow delinquents and unifying Nagasaki. Until one day his friend is killed. He is then approached by a beautiful woman named Kiriko Hattori. She explains that the serial killer was after him because they wanted to conquer Japan and they viewed him as a threat because he was actually a member of the Tokugawa family. She also tells him that the only way to defeat them is to use the Onigami. There's one catch: the Onigami's pilot must be a virgin. Can Keiichirou defeat the nefarious group looking to conquer Japan?
Dai-Shogun - Great Revolution (風雲維新ダイ☆ショーグン Fūun Ishin Dai Shōgun?) is a original mecha anime television series, directed by Takashi Watanabe and animated by J.C. Staff and A.C.G.T. The mecha designs are by Makoto Ishiwata of nitro+.
This series is currently being remade into a CGI Animated series.
This anime provides the examples for:
- Alternate History: Takes place in a time when Meiji Restoration never happened.
- All-CGI Cartoon: The remake is planned to be this.
- Amazon Brigade: While Keiichiro is surrounded by a veritable harem, Shigeyoshi has both the Shinsengumi and Houkouin among his lieutenants.
- Anachronism Stew: It's a Jidaigeki setting with mechas and Sky Pirates.
- Asian Fox Spirit: Chiharu is part fox demon and can manifest a tail note and also ears and claws when angry. It's implied that her friend in her debut episode is another one, or a Tanuki possibly.
- Attempted Rape: Mentioned in Hyogo backstory and she manages to fend them off.
- Bag of Kidnapping: In the 8th episode Kiriko is kidnapped this way by Ryouma and his friends after winning her in a game of rock, paper, scissors.
- Big Bad: Shigeyoshi Hitotsubashi, leader of a branch family of the Tokugawa who seeks to control Japan and use the Onigami to conquer the world. Houkouin is his Dragon. Unlike most shows, he only makes a formal debut halfway through the series itself.
- Bullying a Dragon: Tsubaki's objective was to distract Kirikou, but thinks she's good enough to restrain her while threatening her with rape. Kirikou turns the table on her and does... things to her which makes her switch sides.
- Can't Have Sex, Ever: Keiichirou was revealed to be cursed and some point in order to stop from having sex and thus not being able to pilot the Susanoo. As a result he'll either break into hives and later pass out whenever a girl touches him. Until it was broken in episode 5. Again, this is enforced mostly by Kiriko herself, before and after the curse.
- Combat Sadomasochist: Houkouin, and who else? She literally wets herself after receving a serious attack from Susanoo's Beast mode.
- Damsel in Distress: Kiriko is more bound to be in danger than the other two female leads Hyogo and Chiharu.
- Drop the Hammer: Keiichirou wields a sledgehammer as his weapon before it was destroyed in episode seven.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Female:
- In episode 3, Kiriko not only paralyzes Tsubaki by essentially giving her an orgasm, but she also proceed to interrogate her by fingering her "until she speaks". Worth noticing that at the end of the episode, a smitten Tsubaki is seen spying on Kiriko. Given that she was subjected to one by Houkouin earlier on this was played for laughs and Fanservice.
- In the penultimate episode, Houkouin molests a bound Kiriko after she was captured by the Shinsengumi.
- Elemental Rivalry: Keiichiro's Onigami is named Susanoo, after the god of Wind. Shigeyoshi, the Big Bad and Evil Counterpart, rides the Onigami Takemikazuchi, named after the god of Lightning.
- Expy: Houkouin bears a resemblance to Sio from Afro Samurai: Resurrection. It's also worth noting that both this series and Afro Samurai share the same character designer, Hiroya Iijima.
- Fan Disservice: Turns out that Keiichiro's grandmother, the current owner of the hot springs the characters lounge in, was a fearsome ninja woman and, at one point, appears in her old, skintight costume. She's not exactly a sight like Kirikou in it.
- Faux Action Girl: Kiriko is supposed to be a powerful and skilled ninja guardian. She ends up as a Damsel in Distress more often than not and is powerless against the Shinsengumi or Houkouin. Her only Curb-Stomp Battle is, essentially, a moment of Girl on Girl Is Hot.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Chiharu is half kitusne because of her parentage.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Downplayed, though Houkouin still visits a bound Kiriko in her cell and gropes her down there while she's at it.
- Hidden Buxom: Hyogo has the largest breasts in the show and yet they're perfectly hidden in her clothes, both her male disguise and her normal clothes. Even with ther sarashi her breasts are supple, but as soon as it's removed, they spill out.
- The Immodest Orgasm: Weaponized in Episode 3 by Kiriko's ninja technique "Hanashibu", which has her groping Tsubaki all over her body with such speed she becomes paralyzed in ecstasy.
- Irony: The cast includes a Sky Pirate girl... who suffers from extreme sea sickness if she's as much as standing on an anchored ship. Vomit Discretion Shot included.
- Karma Houdini: By the end of the show, none of the bad guys got what they deserved. Justified as there was supposed to be a second season.
- Limited Animation: If it's not CGI or mugshots of people talking, you can expect cringe-worthy cases of stiff animations straight out of Ninja Slayer From Animation. For example, it's painfully easy to see that Kiruko, running towards the screen is actually her just bobbing up and down, her legs out of frame.
- A Mecha By Any Other Name: They're called puppets.
- Naginatas Are Feminine: Houkouin's mecha is equipped with a gigantic naginata-like polearm, though she's probably more oversexualized than other examples of this trope.
- The Shinsengumi: Given that the story is technically set in Bakumatsu Japan with Giant Mechas, there are the Shinsengumi as an Amazon Brigade of Ninja Maid ladies. This despite the fact that, since the causes of the Bakumatsu were averted by the Mechas, there should be no need for Shinsengumi at all.
- Serial Killer: The first episode has a woman one murdering the people in Nagasaki's red light district. At first implied to be Kirikou, it's later revealed to be Houkouin.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: In episode 3, the camera cuts from the scene when Houkouin decides to have sex with Tsubaki, her minion.
- Sex–Face Turn: Downplayed, Tsubaki, Houkouin's servant-toy, switches her affection to Kiriko after being the target of the Hanashibu paralysis jutsu and being interrogated by her. She doesn't reappear for the rest of the series though.
- Sex Is Evil: Houkouin is an unabashed Card-Carrying Villain, Depraved Bisexual, and overall incredible skank by any standard. She gets aroused at the drop of a hat, makes constant sexual innuendos, talks about having sex over and over with hot guys, and molests her henchwoman, not to mention her Stripperiffic clothes. Hondo, one of the Shinsengumi, who act as villains, suggests seduction as a tactic, and another one of them actually tries it the same episode. Meanwhile, most of the good guys are virgins. Mildly zigzagged, in that the hero Keiichiro definitely does not want to be a virgin, and his partner Kiriko is also considered very sexy, and also wears a rather revealing ninja outfit.
- Stripperiffic: Houkouin exposes a generous portion of her breasts, stomach and back.
- Super Robot: The Onigami is virgin powered and sentient.
- Verbal Tic: Houkouin ends most of her sentences with -arisu.
- Villains Out Shopping: In Episode 9, Houkouin in a Paper-Thin Disguise shows up at the Hot Baths and has a friendly chat with Kiriko about men.
- Virgin Power: Rare Male Example. The Onigami Susanoo is powered because Keiichirou is a virgin. Susanoo also needs a female virgin in order to enter combat mode. This is apparently a prerogative of Susanoo only, as seen that Houkouin can use her own without trouble.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Tsubaki is introduced as Houkouin's lackey and Sex Slave in episode three, and the ending of the episodes bothers to show her staring charmed at Kirikou from a distance. This character, or the possible plot threads related to her Heel–Face Turn or anything else are dropped and forgotten.
- The Worf Effect: Kiriko, Chiharu and Hyogo are, respectively, a highly-trained ninja, a nunchaku-wielding fox spirit and a master swordswoman: Houkouin is alone and, from what we know of her, a sorceress rather than a warrior. Using a foldable fan she defeats all three of them without breaking a sweat.
- World of Buxom: Aside from Chiharu and one of the three Shinsengumi, it seems that this anime's Japan not only has giant mechas, but also free breast implants for everyone.
- You Killed My Father: Hyogo's primary goal is to find and slay the ones that killed her father.