The special is simple enough, IGO hosts a race with the prize being a rare, juicy, and absurdly expensive meat, natually this attracts characters from the aformentioned three series to come out and compete. It ultimately comes down to Goku, Luffy and Toriko in the end and, due to a tie, result in a three way battle.
After everything's said and done however, a danger looms for the heroes as a pufferfish-like creature attacks, stealing the strength of its victims and growing bigger and stronger in the process. Thus forcing a team-up between the parties to take it down before a 30 minute limit passes, so they could cook it and feed it to its victims to save their lives.
Should be noted not the first time these series have crossed over. One Piece and Dragon Ball have done so in the manga only special, Cross Epoch and Toriko has done at least three with One Piece before this, one manga special and two anime episodes.
Though Funimation has the rights to all three series, no dub was ever released in English.
Dream 9: Super Collaboration Special!! has the following tropes
- Alternate Continuity: Apparently. Then again it's just a one shot special.
- Animation Bump: During the tournament battle and the final fight against Big Chu.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Big Chu as he evolves more and more till it practically towers over the heroes.
- Combination Attack: In the final attack, Big Chu manages to catch the Spirit Bomb keeping it from detonating. Luffy and Toriko hit it from either side with multi-hit attacks while Goku fire a Kamehameha Blast to finish it off.
- Continuity Nod: Luffy and Toriko recognize each other from their past crossovers, but they've have no idea who this Goku fellow is.
- Crossover: Naturally
- Dark Horse Victory: Mr. Satan ends up winning the fighting portion of the contest as Goku, Luffy and Toriko end up destroying the ring and knocking themselves out of bounds, with Mr. Satan just barely managing to stay on the only patch of the ring still intact. Regardless though he shares the meat with all three parties and their respective friends and family.
- Delicious Distraction: Toriko tries to pontificate on how food isn't as important as sharing it with people you care about, but to his annoyance, Goku and Luffy were too busy stuffing their faces to listen.
- Enemy Mine: It becomes so obvious to Luffy and Toriko that Goku is likely to stomp both of them, that they even band up together briefly to improve their odds against him.
- Food Porn: This was a given, since Komatsu, Setsuno and Sanji were in this special.
- Gondor Calls for Aid: For the Spirit Bomb attack of course. Though here it's a bit more justified as the monster can absorb it and keep Goku from expanding it.
- Mistaken for Profound: Mr. Satan is treated like some kind of genius for his philosophies on food...which are the exact same things Toriko said not even a minute earlier. Komatsu is the only one who seems to notice.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Early in the race, King Kai contacts Goku to warn him about some monstrous threat menacing the cosmos, so Goku teleports out to take care of it. He reappears right before Luffy and Toriko arrive to the goal, casually commenting how he already took care of it.
- Likewise the battle between Vegeta, Zoro, and Zebra (all three respective badasses in their own series). We just see the opening attacks and an explosion before it cuts to the rest of the race.
- Only in It for the Money: Nami and Android 18 only joined the race because the meat prize's bones are made out of diamonds.
- Overly Long Title: The title's quite a mouthful
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Toriko and Luffy are unstoppable in combat, capable of defeating entire armies and even giant monsters by themselves. And then we have Son Goku, a potential planet destroyer.
- Something We Forgot: At the end of the special, everything has forgotten about Vegata, Zoro and Zebra who are still fighting each other.
- Too Dumb to Live: While facing off against the Chuu Toro, Franky shows up with his General Franky Mini-Mecha, which makes him immune to its energy-draining tendrils. ...And then he opens the cockpit and hops out to attack, getting drained in the process. Even Gotenks, a character known for doing stupidly showy things, calls him an idiot.
- Took a Level in Dumbass: During his fight against Big Chu, Franky correctly guesses the pufferfish must physically touch him to steal his energy, so he uses his Mecha suit to become impervious to the fish's attacks and beat it into a paste. Then Franky steps outside of his mecha to deliver a super flashy finishing move and the fish immediately gets him.
- Who Writes This Crap?!: This is Komatsu and Nami's reaction when Mister Satan wins the fight among Toriko, Luffy and Goku. Justified as they're not from the DB universe and thus don't know about Mr. Satan's hero status (and his dumb luck in general); Goku's reaction is more of "Not again...".
- Willfully Weak: It's obvious Goku's holding back against Luffy and Toriko to enjoy the fight against them since it's just a friendly competition.
- Wins by Doing Absolutely Nothing: Mr. Satan falls into the ring during the three-way battle, and spends the match desperately trying to stay alive. After Goku, Luffy, and Toriko's Super Attacks destroy the ring, the only remaining piece is the one Satan is standing on. Thus, the three heroes end up losing by ring-out, securing Mr. Satan's unlikely victory.