Having come back from their trip to Kitanosawa, the Detective Boys and Sonoko have brought souvenirs for Kobayashi and Makoto, respectively. However, it turns out that their presents were swapped, since they both looked the same.
This OVA provides examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: Ultimately, The Protagonist of this OVA turns out to be Hattori, who gets the most focus and leads the mystery (even though Conan solves it in the end).
- Depending on the Writer: Hattori is as big of a goofball Ditzy Genius as ever, but the genius bit seems to be downplayed.
- The Gadfly: Hattori, as usual. In the end, he even switches Kogoros present for Yoko Okino and Rans present for Shinichi just to amuse himself.
- Immediate Sequel: And how. This OVA literally takes place the very next day.
- Satchel Switcheroo: This is the crux of the plot and the mystery everyone has to solve. In the end, it turns out they were switched from the beginning.
- Shout-Out: Ran references Falling in Love (1984) which no else gets.
- The Thing That Would Not Leave: Conan is extremely irritated by Hattoris presence in Kogoros house.